smeeze

June Closer Thread 2018

16 minutes ago, Sun Tzu said:

Hector Rondon coming in for the save opp for Houston.

He's gotten the last two save opps for Houston now. Hmmm...

Rondon got a little lucky tonight.  He put two baserunners on and with one out, Beltre hit a grounder to third and trotted down to first base to enable the double play. 

1 hour ago, Flyman75 said:

Looking at ERA and WHIP. Gsellman's is 2.57/1.29 over 14 innings with 14 Ks. I'm not a fan of that WHIP for a RP.

I'm not a fan of using WHIP to evaluate relievers. 

I'm not a fan of using ERA to evaluate starters, but starter WHIP holds merit imo.

A reliever's ERA and WHIP can be all over the freakin map because of the SSS. Both are really kinda useless.

Lol the Astros.

Closer by committee? I think not.

More like desperate for someone in that pen to just run with the closer role and not choke once they are appointed.

4 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

I'm not a fan of using ERA to evaluate starters, but starter WHIP holds merit imo.

A reliever's ERA and WHIP can be all over the freakin map because of the SSS. Both are really kinda useless.

I'll have to agree to disagree in regards to WHIP. 

38 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Disagree.

For the most part I want nothing to do with relievers who allow much more than one baserunner per inning. And doesn't WHIP stabilize about 9 times faster than ERA?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cs3 said:

Disagree.

For the most part I want nothing to do with relievers who allow much more than one baserunner per inning. And doesn't WHIP stabilize about 9 times faster than ERA?

39 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

I'll have to agree to disagree in regards to WHIP. 

There are a lot of mediocre relievers out there right now with really good WHIPs. Guys that are clearly not sub 1.0 WHIP guys.

By the same token there are some gems that have just gotten BABIP'ed to death.

Edited by My Dinner With Andre

You can get away with putting guys on base if you strike out a lot of batters.  Bad whip teamed with average K rate usually means trouble

• Like 1

Sort RP by K's

Scan top of list for best WHIP

Win

• Like 5

1 hour ago, dkatz said:

Thoughts about Rondon vs Roe ROS?  Thanks!

Rondon and it’s not even close... and I’m a Rays fan.

1 hour ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

There are a lot of mediocre relievers out there right now with really good WHIPs. Guys that are clearly not sub 1.0 WHIP guys.

By the same token there are some gems that have just gotten BABIP'ed to death.

Ok but overall it can be said that the best pitchers are those that allow the fewest base runners. Thus whip in combination with high Ks and low bb is your best way to find something worthwhile.  ERA can't be completely ignored  (some pitchers are better at stranding runners) but with relievers it can be skewed quite easily with a bad outing.  

Edited by knuckleheads
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Southcoast57 said:

Rondon got a little lucky tonight.  He put two baserunners on and with one out, Beltre hit a grounder to third and trotted down to first base to enable the double play. 

That was a legit double play ball...

• Like 1

Hasnt Giles only blown one save? Seems like Hinch is overreacting, Rondon was terrible with the cubs last year.

19 minutes ago, sjs1890 said:

Hasnt Giles only blown one save? Seems like Hinch is overreacting, Rondon was terrible with the cubs last year.

Nope. I don't think that matters when his overall body of work includes some very shaky performances. And as someone mentioned earlier Giles is not going to be the guy anyone is going to trust come playoff time.  Not after last year's implosion. He has great stuff but obviously not mentally tough at times. 

I would be surprised if Rondon is the full time closer come playoff time as well though.

Edited by knuckleheads

3 hours ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Well this is a fantasy baseball site so they aren't useless in most of the formats we play in.  :P

1 hour ago, Pitches Love Velocity said:

The biggest takeaway here is that he apparently calls Ken Giles, Kenny 

Lul

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, kidtwentytwo said:

I think astros end up with Herrera.  Maybe sooner than later.  JMO

Even if they did, what are the odds he'd actually close there? Career wise, Giles, Devenksi, and Rondon all have better numbers. And even if you just look at the two months of this season, all of them are basically as good as Herrera, if not better. Herrera's a fine pitcher, but he's running an extremely low BABIP (.258), and extremely high strand rate (96.4%), and an absurdly low HR rate (0.36) for such a fly ball pitcher. He screams regression. And I haven't even mentioned Brad Peacock yet.

2 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Even if they did, what are the odds he'd actually close there? Career wise, Giles, Devenksi, and Rondon all have better numbers. And even if you just look at the two months of this season, all of them are basically as good as Herrera, if not better. Herrera's a fine pitcher, but he's running an extremely low BABIP (.258), and extremely high strand rate (96.4%), and an absurdly low HR rate (0.36) for such a fly ball pitcher. He screams regression. And I haven't even mentioned Brad Peacock yet.

I think it’s fairky High.  It’s apparent They don’t want Giles closing.  They don’t want devinski closing either.  I guess rondon could run with it?  Peacock and mchugh aren’t closing.  The pen isn’t that bad, they just need someone in the 9th who doesn’t fold like a chair.  

2 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

I think it’s fairky High.  It’s apparent They don’t want Giles closing.  They don’t want devinski closing either.  I guess rondon could run with it?  Peacock and mchugh aren’t closing.  The pen isn’t that bad, they just need someone in the 9th who doesn’t fold like a chair.  

Enter Zach Britton

6 hours ago, Pitches Love Velocity said:

It sounds to me like he was doing his best to put Rondon over without burying Giles.

Rondon has been very good this year and his numbers are very close to what they were in 2015 when he got 30 saves with the Cubbies. I think he’s earned the first spot in line for most standard-type save situations in Houston. At least for now.

Rondon?  Gross.