smeeze

June Closer Thread 2018

Just a note...since being named the Marlins closer, Barraclough has pitched 6 innings, allowing 1 baserunner, and converting all 3 save opps...albeit with only 4 Ks. Seems to quietly be a solid closer. We'll see if he can keep outpitching his FIP. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Just a note...since being named the Marlins closer, Barraclough has pitched 6 innings, allowing 1 baserunner, and converting all 3 save opps...albeit with only 4 Ks. Seems to quietly be a solid closer. We'll see if he can keep outpitching his FIP. 

One thing he has going for him is that he has 3 good pitches. Most relievers don’t have more than 2.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2018 at 8:47 AM, Flyman75 said:

Baseball is such a mental game...sometimes it's just about the mentality of a player. It makes sense logically to say that a RP should be able to come into a game and get batters out no matter what part of the game he comes in...if we're speaking in a vacuum. But we're talking about human beings who approach situations and circumstances differently. There is a different mindset, a different level of pressure/stress, so forth. One difference in the 7th and 9th...in the 7th if you trot out there and lose the lead, you know your team has 2-3 opportunities to get the lead back for you. In the 9th, if you lose the lead, you probably lose the game. 

I could be off...just giving my perspective. Different guys handle things differently, and there are many factors that come into play. Even with the same warm-up, same routine, same mound...these are still people, not robots. Internal and external factors will always affect outcomes. 

That may be true, but who are we really talking about here?  Who is so mentally ingraned to only pitch the 9th inning?  Kimbrel, Chapman, Jansen & Allen?  Maybe Diaz & Familia?  I mean, every other "closer" has been in some other role at some point in like the last 2 years.

3 hours ago, Chickie said:

For all those of you fretting about Vazquez, I say wait it out. Personally I’ll be dropping him sooner rather than later. At that point and only that point will he ragain his stature as a top closer. I have been known to kill a few careers. Trust me on this one. Last year I had Diaz. Remember when he lost his closers job? Now look at him. Of course I don’t have him.

Please drop him.  And while you're at it, if you could drop any shares you have of Keone Kela & Hector Rondon, that would be appreciated.  Thank you.

36 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

That may be true, but who are we really talking about here?  Who is so mentally ingraned to only pitch the 9th inning?  Kimbrel, Chapman, Jansen & Allen?  Maybe Diaz & Familia?  I mean, every other "closer" has been in some other role at some point in like the last 2 years.

That doesn't mean some guys simply cannot handle the role on a psychological level. Different people handle different situations differently. Some people don't find certain circumstances stressful while others do. I do a lot of talking in front of a lot of people on a regular basis, and I don't find that mentally stressful...a lot of people don't. But, there are some people who would or do absolutely freak out and freeze up when they find themselves in a role like that. I don't find the closer role to be all that different. And some closers have gotten so ingrained in the 9th-inning-closer mentality, that they relax too much mentally when in non-save situations. Different people...different animals...different reactions to the same situations. 

• Like 2

For those speculating on KC...Adam just got sent down to AAA

• Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, WahooManiac said:

For those speculating on KC...Adam just got sent down to AAA

So is McCarthy the nil? He’s been getting shelled lately. 

8 minutes ago, BostonCajun said:

Maurerererer is the only other name in that pen i even recognize. I have no idea who's nil now.  Thought i was being clever rostering Adam

11 minutes ago, BostonCajun said:

It’s a fluid situation which translates to the rest of the bullpen outside of Herrera is garbage. I think KC would love it if Maurer re-establishes some value and can take over the role but it’s been a while since he’s pitched well. I think McCarthy would be the guy today but he’s not very good. I have no confidence that any non-Herrera KC reliever will have much value ROS.

• Like 1

I'm not sure it's fair to say Melancon has only been used in low leverage situations.  I guess if you define high leverage as only 8th or 9th with the lead, then maybe.

Nice rebound outing from Britton.  1ip, 2ks, 0hits/bbs in the 8th down 2.  should be resuming closer duties (if they ever get a save op) soonish....

In the last 59 plate appearances against him, Kyle Barraclough has allowed 1 hit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 9703 said:

In the last 59 plate appearances against him, Kyle Barraclough has allowed 1 hit.

Is that good?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tepera would have to be considered the closer for Toronto. Toronto's last 4 saves have gone to Tepera, dating back to May 25. that is a stretch of 10.2 IP, but he has also given up 10 hits and 2 ER, along with 3 BB and 11 K during that span. 4 SV in 19 games.

He seems fairly locked in to the role.  Crazy low ownership on Yahoo! (28%). Likely due to limited save opps for the Blue Jays over that time.  They have shown an affinity for having him pitch in the 8th as well.

3 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

Tepera would have to be considered the closer for Toronto. Toronto's last 4 saves have gone to Tepera, dating back to May 25. that is a stretch of 10.2 IP, but he has also given up 10 hits and 2 ER, along with 3 BB and 11 K during that span. 4 SV in 19 games.

And a lose.

I'm keeping an eye on Jace Fry (CHW) to take over the closer role if Soria or Jones gets dealt. It appears the coach has confidence in him and has been getting the majority of the Holds recently. If my trade deal gets accepted I'm going to add him with my open slot for our Holds category and see how it plays out. 

• Like 1

Guys to keep an eye on or spec add now in situations where the current closer is likely to get traded. Add any if I missed some. 

KC - Maurer or McCarthy 

Det - Joe Jimenez 

Chw - Fry

I know I’m missing some but those seem to be the top situations to watch. 

Just now, David Aames said:

so i take it bear claw and tepera not available today?

Barraclough has pitched in 4 of the last 5.

Steckenrider in and off to a bad start with the leadoff walk.

Treinen picks up an ugly save. 1 hit, 2 walks, 1 strikeout, 1 earned run.

Fwiw to those who didn't watch, the umpire had an overly strict strikezone and refrained from calling what appeared to be a few obvious strikes as such. I imagine a more accurate umpire would have prevented at least one of those walks from happening.

Well, I’m sure the guys who chased Swarzak feel good about that whole thing... one appearance with a K and a small dent in ratios. This is why you don’t chase bad saves. Familia back tomorrow

• Confused 2