smeeze

June Closer Thread 2018

Box’s velocity was fine at 90-93, idk what happened. But if anything Hirano might be next in line he’s better. But I think (hope) box gets some more leash... 

16 minutes ago, TrueToTheBlue said:

Box getting rocked. Chances Bradley gets the next opp?

Bradley hasn't looked dominant lately either 

Obviously going to take more than 1 blown save to lose a closing job you have held without any threats for over 2 months in the season. A situation worth monitoring but unlikely there is a change coming soon.

3 minutes ago, The Legend said:

Strickland shouldn’t get a save right? Yahoo has it accurate but ESPN and mlb apparently don’t. 

You’re correct 

6 minutes ago, The Legend said:

Strickland shouldn’t get a save right? Yahoo has it accurate but ESPN and mlb apparently don’t. 

That was my thinking too. Fantrax also has it right at no save. Three riun lead and bases empty, but only two outs to get.

33 minutes ago, Nitto22 said:

Gsellman in for the save or do we see Swarzak?

Gsellman got it. Gsellman is clearly their Seranthony in terms of usage.

He looked like crap today, and now he's on the road in COL. Couldn't the Mets have waited a few days...

Off-topic, but Joe Jimenez wears makeup, right?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, 9703 said:

Off-topic, but Joe Jimenez wears makeup, right?

Haha, definitely a skin pigment issue .  Not a good looking dude that’s for sure 

30 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

Closers took a beating today

Closers beat up my ratios today.  Ouch.  Worried about Box (and to a lesser degree Parker).

Yeah, Box did a number on my ratios today. I'm relatively concerned about him...going to keep a cautious eye on him. I didn't really expect him to be an effective closer all season, so I'm grateful for the 16 saves I've gotten so far. 

How long is Davis' leash? He's blown his 4th save, and his ERA/WHIP are up to 4.55/1.30. He now has 17 walks in 27.2 innings. I have to imagine his leash is fairly long because the only other guy in that pen who has not sucked is Ottavino. I mean, how does Shaw have 34 innings and Rusin 28.2 innings?? 

Just now, Flyman75 said:

Yeah, Box did a number on my ratios today. I'm relatively concerned about him...going to keep a cautious eye on him. I didn't really expect him to be an effective closer all season, so I'm grateful for the 16 saves I've gotten so far. 

How long is Davis' leash? He's blown his 4th save, and his ERA/WHIP are up to 4.55/1.30. He now has 17 walks in 27.2 innings. I have to imagine his leash is fairly long because the only other guy in that pen who has not sucked is Ottavino. I mean, how does Shaw have 34 innings and Rusin 28.2 innings?? 

Ottavino has easily been their best guy/one of the most dominant in baseball.

so do we all think that Rondon is going to close from here on out for the stros or do we think its still a committee? 

Edited by Dirty Little Birdie

2 minutes ago, 9703 said:

Ottavino has easily been their best guy/one of the most dominant in baseball.

He is, but I'd think they'd want to keep him in that set-up role and Davis in the closer role. Davis has been a quality closer the past few years, so why not keep Ottavino in the set-up role to bridge the gap to Davis? 

And I say this as an Ottavino owner and a Davis non-owner, lol. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

so do we all think that Rodon is going to close from here on out for the stros or do we think its still a committee? 

Rodon pitches for the ChiSox :P

As for Rondon, I think he's the guy right now, but I don't know that we can say he's the closer from here on out. What if they make a trade for Britton or Herrera (as has been speculated here), or what if they decide to give the role back to Giles? I think Rondon has earned the right to run with it ROS based on his performance this year, but we'll see if the Astros agree. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, terminator10 said:

Obviously going to take more than 1 blown save to lose a closing job you have held without any threats for over 2 months in the season. A situation worth monitoring but unlikely there is a change coming soon.

Well, he has 3.

5 minutes ago, Max Rockatansky said:

Well, he has 3.

Yea we know you think Box’es time as closer is finished. 

I don’t . now if Box has another outing like today’s he could be finished 

1 hour ago, Max Rockatansky said:

Well, he has 3.

Look at the leash Rodney had last year.  Luvullo is almost loyal to a fault in AZ, much as Bruce Arians was.

• Like 1

Who are the closers most likely to be traded at the deadline? And who are their replacements? So far, I can think of

Greene - Jimenez

Herrera - idk

Hand - Yates?

any others? Desperate for saves here

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pablosky1 said:

Who are the closers most likely to be traded at the deadline? And who are their replacements? So far, I can think of

Greene - Jimenez

Herrera - idk

Hand - Yates?

Familia-Gsellman/Swarzak

29 minutes ago, pablosky1 said:

Greene - Jimenez

Herrera - idk

Hand - Yates?

Yep pretty much. For KC it could go to Maurer or McCarthy but they may also trade Maurer as well as Herrera so who knows with this one. I own both Jimenez and Yates and believe they both take over of their respective closers get traded. 

7 minutes ago, pablosky1 said:

Greene - Jimenez

Herrera - idk

Hand - Yates?

I don't think Hand is going anywhere. Teams that will likely be out of the running by the ASB and selling various pieces:

Oakland - They're not selling Treinen unless they receive some overwhelming unsolicited offer.

Texas - Kela is controllable until 2022. I doubt he gets moved.

Tampa - Already dumped their closer. Might sell off Romo. Good luck figuring out who their closer is or will be.

Toronto - I guess Tepera is the guy. I mean...I don't think they're selling these pieces because I'm not sure anybody would want them. No clear next in line.

Baltimore - Britton is as good as gone. Brach will likely stay the closer.

Detroit - They're somehow hanging around so far this year. I don't think that will continue and Greene will likely go. Jimenez is the clear replacement and he's looked amazing.

White Sox - Adios, Soria! I've gotta think they'll be selling him. Nate Jones is probably next in line. If they sell him (or he screws up), Frye is probably running with it.

Royals - Herrera is getting traded. I don't know who is definitely next in line, but Herrera seems like the move obvious sell of all the closers.

Mets - Familia might go. He hasn't been great and he's a FA after the season. Gsellman appears to be next in line. Swarzak has a chance. 

Miami - Barraclough is cheap and locked up a few more years. They might sell him because it'd help complete the firesale, but there's no rush to dump him.

Pittsburgh - Vazquez is signed through 2022 for a pretty good deal. If they get a good haul I'm sure they'd sell, but I wouldn't bank on there being a trade here.

Cincinnati - Iglesias is signed through 2020 and then another year of arbitration. Reds don't seem to be in a hurry to improve their team and with plenty of other options I don't think teams will pay a high price here.

San Francisco - They don't seem like a team that ever sells. 

Colorado - Hahaha, like somebody is going to take on that contract. Wade Davis signed a 3 year deal this offseason for 52 million.

Padres - He's signed through 2020, 2021 is a team option, it's cheap, and he's really good. This would be a great haul for any team. But expensive. 

• Like 2