smeeze

June Closer Thread 2018

Kela continues his perfection in save opportunities with a 1, 2, 3 9th for his 16th...

Melancon has 3.2 IP, 1 K, his last 4 outings. with 2 ER allowed. 1 ER in 2 separate situations. Not like he's lighting things up either. There might be more of a leash here. Stricklands last blown save before this was in a 1-run game where an error caused a sac fly to happen. This was his first actual legit blown save since April 18th. And Stricklands first ER allowed since May 28th. 

• Like 1

not a good look tho to give up 3 er to the Marlins who are pretty much a Triple A team.

8 minutes ago, sjs1890 said:

not a good look tho to give up 3 er to the Marlins who are pretty much a Triple A team.

I agree but it's one blown save. one outing. you don't just lose your job from one blown save. he'll have to string together a few i would think before they switch things up. 

12 minutes ago, Jub Jub said:

Bradley may be going for the 4 out save here

Looks to be happening. I'd be more excited if his strikeouts weren't down this year but this is pretty interesting. 

Edited by Random Dude

1 minute ago, sjs1890 said:

Box unavailable or changing of the guard?

AZ Broadcasters said he was probably unavailable tonight

1 minute ago, sjs1890 said:

Box unavailable or changing of the guard?

He pitched 3 of last 4 days. Likely unavailable. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Random Dude said:

Hicks pitched back to back right? Does he get used 3 days in a row ever?

He pitched 3 days in a row back on June 7-9.

With these closers getting traded way before the deadline, the next best stash would be Joe Jimenez but Detroit is only 3 games back in their division. If they hang around, doubt Shane Greene gets dealt.

I really wish Box and Strickland would lose the job so I could cut them. I am so tired of waking up to one of them destroying my ratios and taking loses. 

Edited by Grace17

11 hours ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Kelvin Herrera - Alex Colome Owners Support Group

200.gif

And unlike situations in the past, there were no clear cut handcuffs for those 2.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Grace17 said:

I really wish Box and Strickland would lose the job so I could cut them. I am so tired of waking up to one of them destroying my ratios and taking loses. 

Strickland has a 2.84 era and 1.23 whip. Decent numbers.

3 minutes ago, murraygd13 said:

Strickland has a 2.84 era and 1.23 whip. Decent numbers.

Check his last 30 days. 1.75 WHIP and a 1.00 K/BB is not rosterable 

Edited by Grace17

3 minutes ago, Grace17 said:

Check his last 30 days 

Yeah his splits are just getting worse.  3.75 ERA and 1.75 WHIP last 30 days, 4.76 ERA and 2.12 WHIP the last 15 days.  As a Giants fan, I was sick watching that 9th inning last night.  He looked terrible.  Got to a 3-0 count on Bour with nothing even remotely close to a strike.  But I will say - I think Bochy left him in a little too long.  I won't sit here and say I know the ins and outs of being a manager or what his thought process was.  I know the BP has been pretty taxed and they don't have a day off until Monday, but I think he should have been pulled prior to the Brinson AB, or at worst after he tied the game.  The out recorded was more the result of a great play as opposed to anything he did as a pitcher.  Then proceeds to give up the tying single to Brinson, who barked at him the whole way to 1st base and was flaunting a bit.  So now you have a pitcher who already looked pretty shaky trying to overcome both that and having a young player showing him up.  And then immediately gives up the go-ahead run and THEN gets yanked.  Sorry for the rant, just my .02

4 minutes ago, ToO_BaD said:

Yeah his splits are just getting worse.  3.75 ERA and 1.75 WHIP last 30 days, 4.76 ERA and 2.12 WHIP the last 15 days.  As a Giants fan, I was sick watching that 9th inning last night.  He looked terrible.  Got to a 3-0 count on Bour with nothing even remotely close to a strike.  But I will say - I think Bochy left him in a little too long.  I won't sit here and say I know the ins and outs of being a manager or what his thought process was.  I know the BP has been pretty taxed and they don't have a day off until Monday, but I think he should have been pulled prior to the Brinson AB, or at worst after he tied the game.  The out recorded was more the result of a great play as opposed to anything he did as a pitcher.  Then proceeds to give up the tying single to Brinson, who barked at him the whole way to 1st base and was flaunting a bit.  So now you have a pitcher who already looked pretty shaky trying to overcome both that and having a young player showing him up.  And then immediately gives up the go-ahead run and THEN gets yanked.  Sorry for the rant, just my .02

No thanks for the info. I'm getting tired of this guy as I live in the central time zone and I wake up seemingly 3 times a week to this guy hurting my team. Do you think he will be replaced soon? God I hope so...

17 minutes ago, Grace17 said:

Depends on your league, if there are better options available by all means drop him.  Relievers are streaky by nature, in those 30 days he's only allowed earned runs in 3 of his 15 appearances.  

2 hours ago, Grace17 said:

I understand the pain because I am an owner of those two. I am hoping they right the ship get there act together because honestly there is nothing even remotely better at the time. 

As they say ... you see the writing on the wall be strong the way I am reading your anguish you should cut those two immediately. Why are you waiting? 

Just now, shakestreet said:

I understand the pain because I am an owner of those two. I am hoping they right the ship get there act together because honestly there is nothing even remotely better at the time. 

As they say ... you see the writing on the wall be strong the way I am reading your anguish you should cut those two immediately. Why are you waiting? 

Because if I cut either, they will win the NL Cy young. I'm tired of watching the literal All-Star team I've cut (Kemp, Nimmo, Pivetta, etc) outproduce my team. I'd rather die a slow death with these two then watch them do what the players I cut do to me. It's not rational, but this is fantasy baseball, I don't have to be. 

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Grace17 said:

No thanks for the info. I'm getting tired of this guy as I live in the central time zone and I wake up seemingly 3 times a week to this guy hurting my team. Do you think he will be replaced soon? God I hope so...

It's tough.  Bochy is pretty loyal to his vets, plus the most likely candidate to replace him (Melancon) hasn't been lighting the world on fire either.  Some in the Bay Area have been calling for Moronta, but I highly doubt he will be handed the keys this season.  So it is really a tough position at this point.

24 minutes ago, Grace17 said:

As @murraygd13 says, last 30 days for a RP is still a very small sample size.  You're talking about 12 IP in this case.  5 ER over 30 days.  That's like 1 ER per week extra on your team.  Obviously that's not ideal and I understand the frustration, but at the same time it's such a small sample size that you can't really draw any conclusions from it.  

Over the same time frame Wade Davis has a 1.92 WHIP, Vazquez has a 2.40 WHIP, Iglaseas has a 1.57 WHIP, etc.  And then you have guys like Soria with a 0.55 WHIP in the last 30 days, or Kela with 0.64 WHIP after seeming to have an infinite WHIP earlier in the season.  

• Like 1