smeeze

June Closer Thread 2018

10 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

Morrow hurt his back putting on his pants?

That's code for he hurt his back doing the deed but they don't want to say that publicly. ;)

Ala "Matt Harvey got an infection cause he held his pee too long".  Suuurrrreee

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Baur10 said:

Ala "Matt Harvey got an infection cause he held his pee too long".  Suuurrrreee

Don't give Wil Myers any ideas!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

There’s a lot of potential adds from SF and CHC. 

Strop

Cishek

W.Smith

Morantas

Dyson

Watson

Melancon

Tough to sort out that madness. 

11 minutes ago, mavsfan23 said:

Strop

Cishek

W.Smith

Morantas

Dyson

Watson

Melancon

Strange game...the only winning move seems to be not to play

how about a nice game of chess

• Like 1

I agree Dyson probably gets the next chance given Bochy anointed him the guy, but sometimes a guy converting earns him another opportunity on a "rest day" and then he converts again and before you know it he runs with the gig.  I think Moronta is worth rostering right now.

As for the Cubs, I'm curious why some think Cishek over Strop?  I have Cishek in one league, Strop in another, but I have a feeling Strop gets the gig based on usage.  Cishek pitched in the 6th just the other night while Strop has been the 8th inning guy all year.

39 minutes ago, JFS179 said:

I agree Dyson probably gets the next chance given Bochy anointed him the guy, but sometimes a guy converting earns him another opportunity on a "rest day" and then he converts again and before you know it he runs with the gig.  I think Moronta is worth rostering right now.

As for the Cubs, I'm curious why some think Cishek over Strop?  I have Cishek in one league, Strop in another, but I have a feeling Strop gets the gig based on usage.  Cishek pitched in the 6th just the other night while Strop has been the 8th inning guy all year.

He did say "primary closer," however, so I don't know if he's as clear cut performance aside as everyone thinks.  He still had 7 blown saves last year (which was a lost year for the Giants) so I doubt Bochy is as patient this year.  He's definitely the top guy though for now.

I think Cishek because he's done it before and if Morrow is out short term then maybe leave Strop where he is since he's been pitching well.  Just an educated guess.

The Britton situation is what I imagined the Holland/Norris situation would be if Holland was any good and Cardinals knew what they were doing. 

Britton will be the closer soon, they are doing this the right way. 

2 minutes ago, CharlesHustle said:

So no chance Watson gets a shot in SF? Lordy, he looks so dominant this year

Bochy specifically mentioned that he wants to keep in the eighth and available for multi-innings. Sounds like he's got the Josh Hader role to me.

It’s been a relatively quiet season in closer land, but I think the next 40 days are going to be make or break in the land of saves.  Going to have to begin paying closer attention here

3 hours ago, mavsfan23 said:

Strop

Cishek

W.Smith

Morantas

Dyson

Watson

Melancon

You forgot Justin Wilson. Iirc he received a save opportunity in Morrow's absence and, even tho he blew the save, he's been pretty good.

Yea id say

Britton is gone imo so brach will be a second half closer for fantasy

Think the tigers deal greene but not overly confident so joe jiminez should be a good stash

if mets deal familia im not excited about any of the options due to uncertainty and dont think hes a lock to be dealt

Soria should be moved in which case maybe nate jones? i doubt frye due to his LHP status so i guess nate jones by default for stash purposes

SF is a mess atm so good luck all around there

any other situation i dont think are very likely to produce a new closer (cubs dbacks etc) but if im forgetting an attractive situation please do point it out haha

Edited by kmoore1521
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

Yea id say

Think the tigers deal greene but not overly confident so joe jiminez should be a good stash

if mets deal familia im not excited about any of the options due to uncertainty and dont think hes a lock to be dealt

Soria should be moved in which case maybe nate jones? i doubt frye due to his LHP status so i guess nate jones by default for stash purposes

any other situation i dont think are very likely to produce a new closer (cubs dbacks etc) but if im forgetting an attractive situation please do point it out haha

Kirby yates if brad hand gets traded

Just now, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Kirby yates if brad hand gets traded

Fair to bring up, with that imo i just think padres price is too steep so he wont be dealt, possible tho ya neva know

12 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

Yea id say

Tepera is a good bet to be traded leaving Clippard/Oh as (crappy) possibilities.

• Like 1

I suspect Brach and Britton both go since they will both UFA next year.  Angels make the most sense.

14 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

Fair to bring up, with that imo i just think padres price is too steep so he wont be dealt, possible tho ya neva know

Agreed it's unlikely given the asking price and Padres apparent timetable. The flip side being that Yates has much more clarity and upside than a lot of these other fill in scrubs. So IF he did get the role he'd be a huge step up.

48 minutes ago, Baur10 said:

Agreed it's unlikely given the asking price and Padres apparent timetable. The flip side being that Yates has much more clarity and upside than a lot of these other fill in scrubs. So IF he did get the role he'd be a huge step up.

If SD was bold enough to move both Hand and Yates, who's next?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Terrible Swift Sword said:

Im leaning cimber but they could go with stammen as well. Their bullpen is pretty good. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kmoore1521 said:

Yea id say

If the mets do not move familia they should fold the franchise. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mortl said:

Im leaning cimber but they could go with stammen as well. Their bullpen is pretty good. 

Or Maton from the minors/injured list. 

Or Castillo.

1 hour ago, Terrible Swift Sword said:

This actually is a sneaky smart move IF a team is willing to actually give up the prospects that dealing both should return. 

This free agent reliever market is loaded and they have the $$$.

6 hours ago, JFS179 said:

Carl Edwards Jr. had been their primary 8th inning guy. 

• Like 1