• Announcements

• Patrick Bateman

Check out the new Rotoworld Beta Site!   11/14/2018

Rotoworld has been the industry leader in fantasy news and analysis for years, but it was time for a much-needed facelift!  While our around-the-clock, comprehensive coverage will remain the same, the new Rotoworld design will be sleeker, easier to navigate, more video-friendly and will finally be mobile-optimized.    That’s right, you can finally stop pinching the screens on your phones to read our content!  Right now we’re in the beta phase of our launch, and it’s still a work-in-progress, but we’d love for you to check out our soon-to-be new digs, and let us know what you think: https://beta.rotoworld.com.    And then please use the Contact Us button to give us feedback!  
Sign in to follow this  
DidiFan

John Ryan Murphy 2018 Outlook

Didn't see a thread on him. Former NYY and MIN C now with ARI. He has shown a little more pop this year and has been productive .909 OPS in  an albeit limited 75 abs. Anyway Lovullo has said that he wants to get him some more PT given how their other catching options have been not good to put it nicely. 

http://arizonasports.com/story/1545398/lovullo-john-ryan-murphy-playing-time/

If you are desperate at C like myself in a league he could be worth a shot. He's hitting 4th tonight. Probably 2 C or NL only but worth a look given the proverbial wasteland that is Catcher. 

• Like 3

As bad as C is, he could be way more than a C2. If he stays near the top of the order (and especially if Goldy ever heats up,) he could at least get a lot of RBI and R. And the HR might be real too - he is literally the top guy on the Statcast Barrels list (53 BBE). Another swing change guy...

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/mlb/diamondbacks/2018/04/13/arizona-diamondbacks-john-ryan-murphy-getting-results-after-offseason-changes/516918002/

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, St3v3k4hn said:

As bad as C is, he could be way more than a C2. If he stays near the top of the order (and especially if Goldy ever heats up,) he could at least get a lot of RBI and R. And the HR might be real too - he is literally the top guy on the Statcast Barrels list (53 BBE). Another swing change guy...

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/mlb/diamondbacks/2018/04/13/arizona-diamondbacks-john-ryan-murphy-getting-results-after-offseason-changes/516918002/

Hmm didn't realize he was a swing change guy. I think you might be right I may have short changed him in that- he's even worth a shot in 1 C leagues as well I mean the bar is set so low once you get out of the top 6 or so he's worth a shot for sure. I added him in a 1 C 12 teamer things are pretty grimey on the wire stiffs like Chirinos the ghost of Russell Martin and then you're just playing roulette with part-timers. So at that point he's worth a shot. And hey he hit one tonight! 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, ghostdragon said:

In ESPN.. only owned in 1.4% of leagues.. mind boggling..

Again "percentage owned" is totally bogus in all platforms and especially on Yahoo and ESPN since they are the biggest thus have maybe 90% plus of their managers playing in public casual leagues.  You know the ones.  Half the managers check out the first month and the majority of the remaining ones don't trade or make any moves ever.  And on Yahoo they are only 12 team shallow leagues anyway so the few active managers don't usually change from their draft picks much unless someone gets injured or tanks terribly.

But on this board a lot of owners play in harder private leagues so are looking for the next breakout player to get an edge.  This guy sounds really useful given how terrible most of the catchers are this season. 

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1

Is this guy for real or just a flash in the pan?  Anyone ever really hear anything about him?  

I read that he’s the starting catcher? Yet he’s only played in 4 if the last 8 games. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

I read that he’s the starting catcher? Yet he’s only played in 4 if the last 8 games. 

Yea so much for Lovullo saying he'd get more Playing time. I was curious to see if he could put some number together at Coors but he hasn't even started. Welp so much for that. 

I had him on the WW short list.  Thank goodness someone else took him.

20 minutes ago, DidiFan said:

Yea so much for Lovullo saying he'd get more Playing time. I was curious to see if he could put some number together at Coors but he hasn't even started. Welp so much for that. 

By starting catcher I think he means that Murphy will start 3 out of 5 games. Mathis always catches Greinke (yesterday) and Avila they gave a 2 year contract to so he will get at least 1 turn in the 5 man rotation. Its crazy to me that they carry 3 catchers, and frustrating as a fantasy player! 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Hasn't played in the last 3 games in a row.  Why?

He cant hit righties

• Thanks 1

Avila went on the DL with a hamstring problem.  Do you guys think JRM gets the bulk of the starts over Mathis? 

I obviously am desperate at catcher to be posting in the Mitch Garver and John Ryan Murphy thread.

I thought J.R. might start today with a left handed pitcher on the mound at Coors.  Then I see Mathis in the lineup and think Greinke is pitching since he is his personal catcher.  Corbin in pitching.  

Mathis and his .180 average started on Sunday as well.  I guess I should assume JR Murphy has fallen out of favor and can be cut. 

Does anyone else have a take?