Sign in to follow this  
DerrickHenrysCleats

Dereck Rodriguez 2018 Outlook

6 innings 1 earned, 6 Ks, 5 hits and 2 BBs in his first career start

Anybody keeping an eye on him in deeper leagues?

Anything to see with this kid? 

Anyone got any peripherals on him? 

Faces Miami today and may face San Diego Sunday, depending on what happens with Shark 

anyone like him for a stream today? 

8 minutes ago, johnnyboy8102 said:

Anyone like him today San Diego? I like the 10 Ks-0 Walks the last two starts combined. 

I'm streaming him. The Padres are 26th in wRC+ and 29th in wOBA. They have the highest K% in baseball. They are also the worst team in baseball on the road. They don't even have a single player with an OPS over .800.

Edited by Fuzzy_Slippers
  • Like 1

https://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/is-dereck-rodriguez-for-real/

"Pitchers can emerge from nowhere and be productive. With Derek Rodriguez’s background as an outfielder, he could be such a pitcher. The pieces are there for a top-40 starter and right now he should be owned in all formats while still cheap. Now, he may not limit is faults and make the leap forward this season forcing redraft owners to move on. Buy now and evaluate his next few starts for a potential ace." :o

He's been good but this fangraphs article breaks him down, three above average pitches and above average command. If he drops the sinker and cutter in his pitch mix then he can be really good!

33 minutes ago, NoHablaIngles said:

i think im the only guy that loves dereck rodriguez, show the man some love!

The only thing preventing me for snagging this guy is that Cueto and shark are both due back very soon. Looks solid so far , however his rotation spot doesn’t look solid at all

19 minutes ago, afgolfman666 said:

The only thing preventing me for snagging this guy is that Cueto and shark are both due back very soon. Looks solid so far , however his rotation spot doesn’t look solid at all

Will be interesting to see how things shake out.  Obviously Bumgarner's spot is secure.  So Holland, Stratton, Suarez, and Rodriguez will be fighting for two spots, unless the Giants decide to go to a 6-man rotation (which I doubt).  I would say one of Holland or Suarez is a lock to keep another lefty in the rotation.  Stratton may be the next to stick given that he was up before the other two.  I would be curious to see if they kept Rodriguez up as a RH long reliever.  

On 6/30/2018 at 9:26 PM, NoHablaIngles said:

i think im the only guy that loves dereck rodriguez, show the man some love!

Nope, I love him too.  He's got some nasty stuff and he's Pudge's son so that's a bonus.

Edited by Slimzy17

On 6/30/2018 at 10:24 PM, ToO_BaD said:

Will be interesting to see how things shake out.  Obviously Bumgarner's spot is secure.  So Holland, Stratton, Suarez, and Rodriguez will be fighting for two spots, unless the Giants decide to go to a 6-man rotation (which I doubt).  I would say one of Holland or Suarez is a lock to keep another lefty in the rotation.  Stratton may be the next to stick given that he was up before the other two.  I would be curious to see if they kept Rodriguez up as a RH long reliever.  

This was being discussed on the radio as we are running into a rotation logjam real quick.  Holland is likely to be the 4th starter and so it's Suarez/Stratton/Rodriguez for the last.  I don't think they'll carry one as a long reliever as we already have Blach in the pen.  I think Rodriguez has options left so he's going down, leaving it between Suarez and Stratton.  Hard to call here but a good problem for the Giants to have!

3 minutes ago, En Votto Veritas said:

This was being discussed on the radio as we are running into a rotation logjam real quick.  Holland is likely to be the 4th starter and so it's Suarez/Stratton/Rodriguez for the last.  I don't think they'll carry one as a long reliever as we already have Blach in the pen.  I think Rodriguez has options left so he's going down, leaving it between Suarez and Stratton.  Hard to call here but a good problem for the Giants to have!

Yeah Bochy is pretty loyal to his vets, so I see Holland staying.  Though I think he has been the worst of those 4.  

Just now, ToO_BaD said:

Yeah Bochy is pretty loyal to his vets, so I see Holland staying.  Though I think he has been the worst of those 4.  

Lowest upside as well, but what else is new?

• Like 1

So who is the odd man out when both Shark and Cueto are back?

Rodriguez, Stratton, or Suarez?

Hoping Stratton gets the demotion.

I’m hoping Stratton as well his era is almost at 5 he’s been pitching bad lately and I’m a giants fan watch both pitch before Rodriguez has more upside.

Edited by Dontrelle Willis

All aboard the Pudge Jr Train! Nothing but boring QS and very little walks. Looks like he could break out in the second half if he can put it all together 

3 hours ago, GC Tacos said:

All aboard the Pudge Jr Train! Nothing but boring QS and very little walks. Looks like he could break out in the second half if he can put it all together 

I don't think anyone here is doubting his ability so much as they are doubting the Giants keeping him in the rotation.

3 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

I don't think anyone here is doubting his ability so much as they are doubting the Giants keeping him in the rotation.

well doubt no more, D-Rod and Suarez are now have their place fixed in the rotation. Stratton demoted... Im pleasantly surprised that the giants chose the best two options by demoting stratton and thowing holland in to the pen. Im excited for a second half breakout!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1