Sign in to follow this  
Gramps

Who to drop for CMart?

Which pitcher do I drop to get Carlos Martinez back into my lineup?

Aaron Sanchez, Jhoulys Chacin, Kevin Gausman or Fernando Romo?  I also can possibly drop Zobrist, but that would give me no hitters on my bench.

Thanks!

Gausman blows up too much to keep him on a fantasy roster.  Sometimes he is very good but when he is bad....he is horrid. 

• Like 1

Hey Gramps, I would argue that any of them are droppable for in this case.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Probably Sanchez.  He's shown nothing.  

This is nonsense.  If this guy was your doctor, you would be dead.

He showed a lot of promise a couple of years ago until his injury.  He was terrific yesterday, giving up just 2 hits and 1 run with 7 Ks in 6 innings against a very strong Detroit offense.  He did get lit up in the previous game in Fenway (7 runs in 5 innings), but the game before that he pitched a shutout in 5 innings of work.  He has had control problems throughout his career and this year is no different.  It is causing high pitch counts resulting in early exits but he has good potential and I would hold him easily over the others in that collection.

• Like 1

I'd also say maybe Gausman who's hard to trust or Chacin. Both have been decent but I wouldn't let either stand in the way of getting Cmart off the DL. 

• Like 1

I think I'd have to go with Gausman on this one...him or Chacin. 

Thanks for your thoughts on mine. 

• Like 1

Sanchez has the worst peripherals of the three guys discussed and plays in the toughest division.  I would drop him.  Gausman would be my last drop.  I don't know who Fernando Romo is :-/

Thanks for mine. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mobdad said:

He showed a lot of promise a couple of years ago until his injury.  He was terrific yesterday, giving up just 2 hits and 1 run with 7 Ks in 6 innings against a very strong Detroit offense.  He did get lit up in the previous game in Fenway (7 runs in 5 innings), but the game before that he pitched a shutout in 5 innings of work.  He has had control problems throughout his career and this year is no different.  It is causing high pitch counts resulting in early exits but he has good potential and I would hold him easily over the others in that collection.

Dont really care what he did years ago.  He leads the league in walks.  Yesterday against the Tigers was the first time in over a month he’s gone more than 5 innings.  Velocity down a tick... guess you can still hold out for that pedigree but we’re into June now.

• Like 3

Yeah I agree with the above that any of them are droppable when talking C-Mart.  If you are looking for QS, Gausman gets a slight edge as he at least tends to go deeper into games.  Chacin has only had 3 in his last 10 or so starts.  If you are more concerned about ratios I would drop Gausman as he can absolutely destroy them any given start.

Thanks for the help on mine.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Josean Pelota said:

Sanchez has the worst peripherals of the three guys discussed and plays in the toughest division.  I would drop him.  Gausman would be my last drop.  I don't know who Fernando Romo is :-/

Thanks for mine. 

Sanchez and Gausman play in the same division......

And I assume he meant Fernando Romero.

• Like 1

Chacin has been better than you think, and he’s actually on a good team

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, ToO_BaD said:

Sanchez and Gausman play in the same division......

And I assume he meant Fernando Romero.

He could have meant Sergio Romo!  

The "toughest division" was intended to mean toughest division in baseball as an overall, not comparative, observation.  I'd drop any of those three cats.  And my loyalty to AL east pitchers is usually thin outside of Severino.  

Edited by Josean Pelota
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Josean Pelota said:

He could have meant Sergio Romo!  

The "toughest division" was intended to mean toughest division in baseball.  I'd drop any of those three cats. 

I understand what the phrase means thanks.  But you used it as an argument to drop Sanchez and said Gausman would be your last drop - but they both pitch in the same division.

2 hours ago, Gramps said:

Which pitcher do I drop to get Carlos Martinez back into my lineup?

Aaron Sanchez, Jhoulys Chacin, Kevin Gausman or Fernando Romo?  I also can possibly drop Zobrist, but that would give me no hitters on my bench.

Thanks!

Would probably drop Gausman. I am hoping that Romero's last outing was just a one off type game. Good luck Gramps!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ToO_BaD said:

I understand what the phrase means thanks.  But you used it as an argument to drop Sanchez and said Gausman would be your last drop - but they both pitch in the same division.

Gausman has much better peripherals so he's distinguishable from Sanchez in my mind.  Sanchez has crappy peripherals AND plays in that division where two of the teams are thoroughly unforgiving. 

• Like 1

This an interesting fantasy discussion.  I have found that I absolutely CANNOT roster a pitcher like Gausman.  Pitchers need to be consistent.  I get why you pick up or take a stab on Gausman late in the draft.  Every year he shows promise of a break out.  When a pitcher pitches a good game, it helps your pitching cats a lot and puts you in a better position that week to wins ERA, WHIP, Ks, and maybe even gets you a W.  It just helps you.  And when a pitcher has a bad outing (lets say 4 or 5 runs in 5 or 6 innings) that hurts your pitching cats and you hope that Paxton or Max still have a start on Saturday or Sunday to make everything right.  BUT when a pitcher gets blown out like Gausman did 2 starts ago (7 runs in 2.2 innings), it is very hard to recover that week.  Those games don't just hurt you, they lose entire weeks' cats.  Now combine that with a bunch of other bad games and it makes for a bad player taking up a roster slot. 

Gausman in his last 4 games:  18 earned runs in 19 innings with 0 wins and 3 losses (if you count losses).  The 26 Ks are nice but they can be obtained elsewhere.

ERA: 8.53, WHIP: 1.95

These are his 4 most current games.  Combine this with the Orioles being a bad team which causes less Wins.  How can your pitching recover from this?

I get that Sanchez also had some bad games.  Here are his last 4:  12 runs in 20 innings, 1 win and 2 losses.  21 Ks, ERA: 5.40, WHIP: 1.55.  Really bad but not to the same degree.  They only hurt, the don't kill.

Add to this, Sanchez had a really nice start in his last game and Gausman had another stinker.  There is absolutely no indication that Gausman is righting the ship and going in a better direction.  I can't imagine why anyone would want this guy stinking up their roster.

#Gleyber just hit his 10th!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I would drop Gausman or Chacin for nothing, let alone CMart.

How is CMart even available?

Edited by dkrocka
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, dkrocka said:

I would drop Gausman or Chacin for nothing, let alone CMart.

How is CMart even available?

He isn't.  I have to activate him from my IR for his start tomorrow.

2 hours ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Probably Sanchez.  He's shown nothing.  

This.

2 hours ago, Mobdad said:

Lol, no man, what you said is nonsense. Sanchez is definitely the cut here.  Stop living in 2016 like that's the pitcher aaron sanchez is. He's a 2 pitch pitcher with a history of blister issues. He's wild. He's in a tough division. He's on a terrible team. Keeper/dynasty I wouldn't cut bait, but absolutely in a redraft. 

In 2015, 2017, 2018 sanchez has

FIP's of 4.61, 5.74 and 5.07

ERA's of 3.22 (way outperformed his FIP and did so with a low K rate, this is an outliet), 4.25, 4.48

K/9 of 5.9, 6.0, 7.2

BB/9 of 4.3, 5.0, 5.2

He is not worth holding, not by a longshot. If it's me, I cut Gausman or Sanchez, I don't see much difference in them, but I'd prefer Gaus. 

• Like 1