Sign in to follow this  
HaloFanatic17

Jon Jay 2018 Outlook

I hadn’t seen anything for him so I apologize if there’s already a thread. 

Jay has been sharing leadoff duties with Merrifield for the Royals and although most people would rather have Merrifield be in sole possession of the leadoff spot, Jay hasn’t been terrible. Not going to receive much pop from him, but he’s been stealing bases, 3 so far this season and 2 in the last two weeks. He also has a .304 average with over 200 plate appearances. If anyone needs a little boost in average and runs with a little speed I feel he isn’t a terrible add. 

Would love to hear more thoughts about him for ROS projections.  

I would imagine that if Merrifield is traded, which there’s a strong possibility, wouldn’t Jay be the everyday leadoff hitter?

Jay got dropped a a month ago in my league so I put in a claim for him.

As you mentioned, he's mostly been an empty average guy. Definitely useful, but temper any expectations unless they start sending him on the base paths more often.

Posted (edited)

Jon Jay has been traded to the Diamondbacks for two minor league pitching prospects Gabe Speier and Elvis Luciano. 

Edited by baller179563

I’ll take it.  Hopefully he can keep hitting and now have better opportunities.

11 hours ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

Any speculation of where he hits in that lineup?

I don’t know much about the D-Backs, so take all of this with a grain of salt.  I know they rank at or near the bottom in Avg, OBP, etc.  Could see him slotting into the 1st or 2nd spot.  He has been getting on base this year which they desperately need.  Ahmed started two games in the first spot against the Giants, so they don’t seem committed to having to have Dyson’s speed at the top of the lineup.  I’d imagine Peralta Lamb and Goldy will all be in the top 4-5 spots.  I mean unfortunately, he will either be near the top or near the bottom.  I’m hoping that with his advantage over Dyson in getting on base, they’ll slot him in right up top.

Likely a plus for Jay in the short term, but doesn't bode well for him long term.  You have to think once Pollock and Souza are healthy that Jay just ends up being a 4th OF / bench bat.  Not that Jon Jay should have been a long term solution on your fantasy team, but with KC you at least knew that he'd be in the lineup all year and likely hitting at the top of the order consistently.