sleepysock

Zack Collins C CHW

First round pick two years ago, tearing up AA at the moment. Probably the most under the radar of the Sox elite prospects. Started ice cold this year but now sports a triple slash of .282/.455/.491 (.322/.508/.540 in May). Huge raw power and Votto-esque pitch recognition/plate discipline. Potential fantasy monster if he sticks at catcher, which seems 50-50 at this point.

Schwarber is probably a good comp, although Collins would move to 1B/DH and not the OF if he doesn't stick at the dish. 

Could also fit well right in the middle of a tantalizing Madrigal-Moncada-Jimenez-Robert lineup in a few years. 

Edited by sleepysock
  • Like 1

Who does he think he is with that OBP?  Barry Bonds?

I’m very excited to see what the White Sox lineup will look like come opening day 2020.

• Like 1

Should be sooner...

Can't believe no thread but def reraising his stock this year...

He could join the team right now and easily be their best catcher.

But obviously there's no rush and they want him to work on calling games and cutting down on the strikeouts. 

Wondered if he would get the call this summer given Castillo's suspension but he probably needs to stay down until the MiLB season ends.

With Omar Narvaez being traded to Seattle, does that signal a change in Collins ETA ?

On 11/30/2018 at 3:38 PM, Topgun said:

With Omar Narvaez being traded to Seattle, does that signal a change in Collins ETA ?

No, Collins likley won't be ready to start in the bigs next season and will need probably at least another half season if not more in the minors.

Kevan Smith is gone too from The White Sox.  Looks like it's Wellington Castillo and then Zack Collins will compete with Seby Zavala for the back up catchers role.  I'd imagine Seby wins it to at least start the season though.

• Like 1

The signing of James McCann all but assures Collins doesnt see MLB until next season at the earliest.  Im guessing after Super 2 deadline in 2020 is when you will get to see him.

Edited by TheTruth024

4 hours ago, TheTruth024 said:

The signing of James McCann all but assures Collins doesnt see MLB until next season at the earliest.  Im guessing after Super 2 deadline in 2020 is when you will get to see him.

He struck out nearly 30% and hasn't even made it to AAA. He also, from my understanding, isnt that good a defender. Not sure there's a rush yet even if they didnt sign anyone.

Drafted him in 2016, I've been waiting for this day, hope he is ready, hope he produces.

• Like 1

3 true outcome city. But he could provide really good value from that catcher spot. Even if he hits .220 he might hit 15-20 bombs.

3 hours ago, sleepysock said:

3 true outcome city. But he could provide really good value from that catcher spot. Even if he hits .220 he might hit 15-20 bombs.

Really good value in OBP leagues for sure.

17 hours ago, Topgun said:

Drafted him in 2016, I've been waiting for this day, hope he is ready, hope he produces.

You and me both brother. Stayed the course when he dropped off top 100 lists despite basically doing as advertised. Was a strange one, in OBP leagues is where his value's at.

On 6/17/2019 at 9:45 AM, swfcdan said:

You and me both brother. Stayed the course when he dropped off top 100 lists despite basically doing as advertised. Was a strange one, in OBP leagues is where his value's at.

Yeah he's progressed as expected and fallen out of favor, which is strange. Especially since there's no word of him being imminently moved off the catcher spot. If he can stick there 3-4 years before becoming a 1B/DH that's a big win in my book.

I don’t think he was drafted with the expectation he’d hit .220, especially since he’s not exactly known for his glove. 

Hit tools are incredibly hard to project. Maybe he turns into Gallo at C. Maybe he’s Tyler Flowers.