kidtwentytwo

Brendan McKay - SP/1b Tampa

No Brendan McKay thread yet?  

Flashing a .446 OBP as a hitter

1.51 ERA with 3bb and 59k as a pitcher.  

He needs to be challenged as a pitcher.  I've heard he's still in High-A due to his hitting.  

only available on yahoo as a batter.........not sure which would be better to have

22-year old at high-A. I'll be more intrigued when he gets to double-A and is playing more against like-aged competition.

Can we get a deeper look on this dude. I see conflicting things with McKay. Hes 22yrs old which is older for A ball. He didn't hit well enough to deserve a promotion to AA. However he did pitch well enough for a AA promotion. I see ETA's for him saying 2019? I also see ceiling remarks that make him sound crazy legit. hes ranked 24th on the pipeline top 100 (end of 2018 rankings). Do we believe hes getting a cup of coffee in 2019 with TB who is notorious for slow rolling talent to the show?? Thoughts gentlemen? 

1 hour ago, LarrysBraves26 said:

I see conflicting things with McKay. Hes 22yrs old which is older for A ball. He didn't hit well enough to deserve a promotion to AA. However he did pitch well enough for a AA promotion. I see ETA's for him saying 2019? I also see ceiling remarks that make him sound crazy legit. hes ranked 24th on the pipeline top 100 (end of 2018 rankings). Do we believe hes getting a cup of coffee in 2019 with TB who is notorious for slow rolling talent to the show?? Thoughts gentlemen? 

22 isn't too old for A ball in generally this is especially so when it's your first full season in the minors.  Also note that he was quickly promoted to Advanced A last season before injuries (oblique twice I believe?).  He was basically unhittable in A ball.

Edited by TrueShoe
  • Like 1

Only will be DH this year when not pitching, seems like the Rays like him much more as a pitcher

3 hours ago, azeri98 said:

Only will be DH this year when not pitching, seems like the Rays like him much more as a pitcher

I think everyone thinks pitching is his fastest path to the show and has the higher floor (probably by a significant margin). I just want to see him healthy for an entire season to see what he can do when the innings pile up and the grind starts. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, thezing1 said:

I think everyone thinks pitching is his fastest path to the show and has the higher floor (probably by a significant margin).

Well everybody but Yahoo who still lists him as a hitter (1B) only.  Can't wait until they split him into two like they did Ohtani.  :wacko:

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

Just now, The Big Bat Theory said:

Well everybody but Yahoo who still lists him as a hitter (1B) only.  Can't wait until they split him into two like they did Ohtani.

He's pitcher only in CBS now. The hitter version just disappeared off someone's roster in my dynasty league was replaced by a free agent pitcher.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, SpartyOn4 said:

He's pitcher only in CBS now. The hitter version just disappeared off someone's roster in my dynasty league was replaced by a free agent pitcher.

Well at least they made him a pitcher.  Credit where it is due I guess. 

Yahoo has a hard time changing anything about a prospect so I doubt McKay will become a pitcher with them any time soon.

Like right now Jorge Alfaro (majors) has moved on to Miami but Sixto Sanchez, still a prospect, remains in Philly according to them.  They've done that in the past haphazardly too like when James Kaprielain and Mateo came over from the Yankees to Oakland in that trade.  Mateo was an A immediately but Kaprielain remained a Yankee until this year's database came out, hah.  

On 2/13/2019 at 12:48 AM, The Big Bat Theory said:

Well at least they made him a pitcher.  Credit where it is due I guess. 

Yahoo has a hard time changing anything about a prospect so I doubt McKay will become a pitcher with them any time soon.

Like right now Jorge Alfaro (majors) has moved on to Miami but Sixto Sanchez, still a prospect, remains in Philly according to them.  They've done that in the past haphazardly too like when James Kaprielain and Mateo came over from the Yankees to Oakland in that trade.  Mateo was an A immediately but Kaprielain remained a Yankee until this year's database came out, hah.  

We're having the discussion in my keeper league right now about how to handle McKay. That player note highlighting his 11 Ks in 4.2 IP at AA yesterday caught some attention, especially since he's listed as a 1B in Yahoo. 

I'm thinking the most fair thing to do is to let the current owner decide whether he wants to own the hitter or pitcher "version" of McKay if and when they split him into two versions. 

Thoughts?

hitter version is currently available......when the pitcher one becomes available then first come first served..............drafted the hitter version last year in a dynasty and dropped him......now if my league was to discuss that i'd be livid

On 4/11/2019 at 10:58 AM, mjb03003 said:

We're having the discussion in my keeper league right now about how to handle McKay. That player note highlighting his 11 Ks in 4.2 IP at AA yesterday caught some attention, especially since he's listed as a 1B in Yahoo. 

I'm thinking the most fair thing to do is to let the current owner decide whether he wants to own the hitter or pitcher "version" of McKay if and when they split him into two versions. 

Thoughts?

How is that fair? The current owner knew he wasn't getting a pitcher. When Yahoo releases the pitcher version why wouldn't he go through waivers and whoever places the biggest FAAB bid (or I guess has the highest waiver priority of you play that way) gets him?

2 hours ago, cs3 said:

How is that fair? The current owner knew he wasn't getting a pitcher. When Yahoo releases the pitcher version why wouldn't he go through waivers and whoever places the biggest FAAB bid (or I guess has the highest waiver priority of you play that way) gets him?

I dunno guys, you’re free to do whatever you think is right in your league(s). 

I just hate to place arbitrary restrictions on which “version” of the player can be owned because:

1) yahoo MAY split a player into two again, like they did with Ohtani

2) Yahoo chose to list mckay as a hitter only, even though it’s widely accepted that he’s more valuable as a pitcher. 

Posted (edited)

I mean... you asked for thoughts.

In any case, giving the current 1B McKay owner the choice of which one he wants seems awfully unfair to the Ohtani owner(s).

Edited by cs3

My league will handle it as a new player added to the DB.  But Yahoo splits Ohtani.  In a league where they have Ohtani as one player, I assume McKay would just get an added position eligibility of SP, added like any other position when enough games are played at a new position. 

In Yahoo though I think you have to treat him however you treat Ohtani - of you have to own both Ohtani's than McKay Hitter has to own Pitcher McKay as soon as he's added to the DB, but if Ohtani was treated as two separate players and different owners could own Hitter Ohtani and Pitcher Ohtani, than Pitcher McKay goes through waiver claim process and #1 WP likely gets him. 

I don't know why, but I find this topic of McKay and Ohtani position eligibility to be far more complicated then it needs to be. Give them both designations for offense and defense. Ohtani should be a SP/DH. McKay is now in the same boat or a SP/1B for this season. Let the market dictate what that position flexibility is worth with ADP. The idea that there are two Ohtani's or two McKay's in a player database is just over complicating things IMO. And for anyone that drafted McKay in dynasty should have ownership for the pitching version of McKay and should have a roster exemption if the site they use can't make SP/DH designations for a player. 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, thezing1 said:

I don't know why, but I find this topic of McKay and Ohtani position eligibility to be far more complicated then it needs to be. Give them both designations for offense and defense. Ohtani should be a SP/DH. McKay is now in the same boat or a SP/1B for this season. Let the market dictate what that position flexibility is worth with ADP. The idea that there are two Ohtani's or two McKay's in a player database is just over complicating things IMO. And for anyone that drafted McKay in dynasty should have ownership for the pitching version of McKay and should have a roster exemption if the site they use can't make SP/DH designations for a player. 

Completely agree. If you draft Ohtani (or McKay) you should just have him on your roster twice, as a hitter and a pitcher. 1 roster spot, but 2 versions of the same player. Let the market decide how a player like that is valued.

37 minutes ago, thezing1 said:

The idea that there are two Ohtani's or two McKay's in a player database is just over complicating things IMO.Give them both designations for offense and defense.

I'm not here to make excuses for the platforms that haven't adapted to this yet, but I will say that it's not as simple as it sounds.

I can only speak to my experience using Yahoo's APIs, but I'm sure there are other platforms that have (or have had in the past) similar issues.  At least with Yahoo, this isn't a conscious decision that was made for fantasy-related reasons, but a limitation of the data model that was used when the platform was built.  Changing the data model is easy; changing all the downstream code that made the assumption that players would never be both hitters and pitchers is likely quite an undertaking.

To illustrate: here's what McKay's player record looks like when querying Yahoo's API:

image.png.468fc14eb5a82340d1f85353c781fb1c.png

Note the position_type field.  "B" means "batter', "P" means "pitcher".  It's likely that every piece of code written for Yahoo's web and mobile platform has used this field to decide which section of the roster page to put them in, which slots they're eligible for, what stats count for which players, etc.  The same situation exists for football, with "O", "D", and "K" for offense, defense, and kicker.  (I haven't looked at basketball or hockey, but I would assume that there is no such distinction for basketball since players can all contribute in the same categories, and I'd assume there's a "G" or something for goalies in hockey.)

So, yeah, if I'm managing Yahoo's fantasy sports development team, I say "go change that."  And then the developers start grepping for "position_type" in their code, which is likely written in at least 5 different languages, and then they talk to their corporate partners who are consuming data using their APIs that expose that position_type field (I'm guessing FantasyPros and other sites that import leagues would be consuming that data) and they say they've got to make changes on their end.  And pretty soon folks are talking about months of work, maybe longer for development, then add in testing, keeping in mind you can't screw with things during the season...

Again, not saying this shouldn't be fixed by now -- it should.  Yahoo's decision to split Ohtani was likely motivated by a hope that he was a unicorn and that they didn't have enough resources to adequately solve the problem.  If there's another unicorn on the horizon, maybe they'll change their tune.

In the dynasty league where I'm commissioner, we're just going to handle it by giving the existing McKay owner the option to take the McKay (Pitcher) if/when he's added.  Sucks to take up two slots, but unless we move platforms or Yahoo corrects their mistake, there's not much we can do.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

In the dynasty league where I'm commissioner, we're just going to handle it by giving the existing McKay owner the option to take the McKay (Pitcher) if/when he's added.  Sucks to take up two slots, but unless we move platforms or Yahoo corrects their mistake, there's not much we can do.

I agree this is the only way to handle it in existing dynasty leagues. The McKay owner should get first come, first served for both Brendan McKay (Hitter) and Brendan McKay (Pitcher).

• Like 2

My dynasty uses Fantrax so I can not speak to Yahoo and the other sites. I guess the point I am trying to make that I am doing a terrible job articulating is that it isn't the spirit of the deal to have someone draft McKay as a hitter out of college and then have another person in that league swoop in and pick off McKay the pitcher on waivers when McKay pitcher gets added in the player database. The person that drafted McKay out of college should own the rights to all versions of McKay, whether that is pitcher, 1B, DH, RP....whatever. You draft the guy you get all the variations of him in the database. Picking off the pitching version of McKay on a database timing technicality is slimey. 

• Like 2

CBS will get it right, just like they did by making Ohtani a DH/SP from the beginning.

On 4/13/2019 at 8:08 PM, pagkerguy8 said:

hitter version is currently available......when the pitcher one becomes available then first come first served..............drafted the hitter version last year in a dynasty and dropped him......now if my league was to discuss that i'd be livid

He isn't "hitter McKay" he is the ONLY McKay on Yahoo.  If you want him you can only have him that way.  He was not split in two at his "creation" like Ohtani.  Apples and oranges.  Two apples (Ohtani) and one orange (McKay).  So common sense says the original McKay owner gets first dibs to choose which one of him they want as in they can trade in the hitter for the pitcher if Yahoo makes a hitting version since it was Yahoo's mistake to list him as a 1B in the first place and everyone who drafted him in any dynasty drafted him as a pitcher. 

Also because there was no such thing as a "split player" when McKay became available and taken in every single dynasty league the year before Ohtani's arrival so people who drafted him drafted him ... not some future half a player from Yahoo's dungeon software lab of horrors.

(Full disclosure: I own him in one league and don't in three others so this decision would benefit me in one league and NOT help me in the other three).

• Thanks 1

Another impressive line for pitcher McKay last night. 4 ip, 3 hits, 2 bbs, 7 k's, 1 er. Very nice to see his K's elevated to start the year and his WHIP low. Pitch counts have been 71 and 65. So far all of this is good stuff and he should get eased into higher pitch counts. I don't see him making noise at the MLB level this year and assuming full health I think Honeywell has an edge on him in pecking order so patience is going to be required. Obviously early in the year and the key for pitcher McKay will be endurance to handle the full time pitching workload. 

On 4/14/2019 at 5:53 PM, cs3 said:

I mean... you asked for thoughts.

In any case, giving the current 1B McKay owner the choice of which one he wants seems awfully unfair to the Ohtani owner(s).

If you spent draft capital on Ohtani knowing full well he was a two way player and then your host site split him into two players after the fact (an unprecedented thing to happen in fantasy baseball as far as I know) then I would think it only fair that you either automatically own both version, or you get to choose which version you own. 

You spent the draft capital to own rights to the player. The entire player. The only “version” of the player that existed at the time you drafted, regardless of what position he was listed at originally. If the host site decides he needs to be split into two versions down the road why should you lose out because they arbitrarily chose to list him as a hitter originally? 

• Like 2