Sign in to follow this  
kidtwentytwo

Brendan McKay - SP/1b Tampa

No Brendan McKay thread yet?  

Flashing a .446 OBP as a hitter

1.51 ERA with 3bb and 59k as a pitcher.  

He needs to be challenged as a pitcher.  I've heard he's still in High-A due to his hitting.  

only available on yahoo as a batter.........not sure which would be better to have

22-year old at high-A. I'll be more intrigued when he gets to double-A and is playing more against like-aged competition.

Can we get a deeper look on this dude. I see conflicting things with McKay. Hes 22yrs old which is older for A ball. He didn't hit well enough to deserve a promotion to AA. However he did pitch well enough for a AA promotion. I see ETA's for him saying 2019? I also see ceiling remarks that make him sound crazy legit. hes ranked 24th on the pipeline top 100 (end of 2018 rankings). Do we believe hes getting a cup of coffee in 2019 with TB who is notorious for slow rolling talent to the show?? Thoughts gentlemen? 

1 hour ago, LarrysBraves26 said:

I see conflicting things with McKay. Hes 22yrs old which is older for A ball. He didn't hit well enough to deserve a promotion to AA. However he did pitch well enough for a AA promotion. I see ETA's for him saying 2019? I also see ceiling remarks that make him sound crazy legit. hes ranked 24th on the pipeline top 100 (end of 2018 rankings). Do we believe hes getting a cup of coffee in 2019 with TB who is notorious for slow rolling talent to the show?? Thoughts gentlemen? 

22 isn't too old for A ball in generally this is especially so when it's your first full season in the minors.  Also note that he was quickly promoted to Advanced A last season before injuries (oblique twice I believe?).  He was basically unhittable in A ball.

Edited by TrueShoe
  • Like 1

Only will be DH this year when not pitching, seems like the Rays like him much more as a pitcher

3 hours ago, azeri98 said:

Only will be DH this year when not pitching, seems like the Rays like him much more as a pitcher

I think everyone thinks pitching is his fastest path to the show and has the higher floor (probably by a significant margin). I just want to see him healthy for an entire season to see what he can do when the innings pile up and the grind starts. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, thezing1 said:

I think everyone thinks pitching is his fastest path to the show and has the higher floor (probably by a significant margin).

Well everybody but Yahoo who still lists him as a hitter (1B) only.  Can't wait until they split him into two like they did Ohtani.  :wacko:

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

Just now, The Big Bat Theory said:

Well everybody but Yahoo who still lists him as a hitter (1B) only.  Can't wait until they split him into two like they did Ohtani.

He's pitcher only in CBS now. The hitter version just disappeared off someone's roster in my dynasty league was replaced by a free agent pitcher.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, SpartyOn4 said:

He's pitcher only in CBS now. The hitter version just disappeared off someone's roster in my dynasty league was replaced by a free agent pitcher.

Well at least they made him a pitcher.  Credit where it is due I guess. 

Yahoo has a hard time changing anything about a prospect so I doubt McKay will become a pitcher with them any time soon.

Like right now Jorge Alfaro (majors) has moved on to Miami but Sixto Sanchez, still a prospect, remains in Philly according to them.  They've done that in the past haphazardly too like when James Kaprielain and Mateo came over from the Yankees to Oakland in that trade.  Mateo was an A immediately but Kaprielain remained a Yankee until this year's database came out, hah.