kidtwentytwo

Brendan McKay - SP/1b Tampa

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Despite last pitching Saturday June 15th, it looks like he's not pitching tonight (which would mark his usual six days of rest) for the Durham Bulls... Unless somehow Faria is opening for him. Not sure if an announcement has been made about whose starting for the Rays' tonight (in Oakland at 10pm Eastern time)

 

Edited by PhilaFanBoy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, PhilaFanBoy said:

Despite last pitching Saturday June 15th, it looks like he's not pitching tonight (which would mark his usual six days of rest) for the Durham Bulls... Unless somehow Faria is opening for him. Not sure if an announcement has been made about whose starting for the Rays' tonight (in Oakland at 10pm Eastern time)

 

He batted yesterday. Doesn’t he usually get the day off from hitting before a start? Thought I recall hearing that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last night: 5IP, 3H, 3BB, 0ER, 5 K’s. 84 pitches. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder what exact time he will be added? Im in a 12 team no waiver league and I want to stash him as soon as he is added haha.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With news of Glasnows setback, Tampa will need this kid sooner rather than later. If you haven’t stashed yet, you better do so now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He hasn't actually been called up yet right ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any ideas as to how he would be used this year if/when he is called up?  Have a #1 waiver spot burning a hole in my pocket that I've been saving for the right opportunity!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, soccerphysio said:

Any ideas as to how he would be used this year if/when he is called up?  Have a #1 waiver spot burning a hole in my pocket that I've been saving for the right opportunity!

“Talent-wise, McKay would project as one of the top five starting pitchers on Tampa Bay's staff, but it’s important to remember that the former first-round pick pitched just 78 1/3 innings last season in the Minors. He’s already at 66 2/3 innings this season and is expected to pitch a couple more times in Durham before earning his promotion. Because of that, I think it’s fair to say that the Rays could ease McKay in by having an opener in front of him, which would allow him to settle in against big league pitching and also help his innings count. He could get some starts, just like Yonny Chirinos and Ryan Yarbrough have this season, but coming in after an opener seems likely.

McKay will play a big role in this year’s team, but he’s also a crucial part of the team’s future, and that’ll always be the priority of the organization.”

https://www.mlb.com/news/inbox-will-rays-focus-on-pitching-at-deadline

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

McKay, who is 3-0 with a 1.08 ERA and 0.76 WHIP across his first five appearances with Triple-A Durham, could make his major-league debut by mid-July, Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times estimates.

Topkin was responding to a question on Twitter about how soon McKay might be called up to the big-league club, and he emphasized that his prediction of the promising southpaw making his majors debut no sooner than a July 13 doubleheader against the Orioles was squarely speculation on his part for the time being. However, the prognosis isn't necessarily unrealistic, considering McKay's mastery over Triple-A bats thus far and Monday's announcement that Tyler Glasnow (forearm) will now be shut down from any throwing for at least the next three weeks. McKay could conceivably get a call prior to the All-Star break as well, although the considerable versatility of the Rays staff typically allows manager Kevin Cash to work around the absences of traditional starters in fairly nimble fashion.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Traded for him in a keeper. Not hearing ace upside talk but surely chance of a strong no2? Tough div but spacious park and great org that knows their beans.

He's totally dominated at every stop on the ladder, not sure why there's not more hype rather than just desperation calls from those stashing in redrafts. And if he can be used as a hitter occasionally that would be the icing on the cake- will he hit much in the bigs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, swfcdan said:

Traded for him in a keeper. Not hearing ace upside talk but surely chance of a strong no2? Tough div but spacious park and great org that knows their beans.

He's totally dominated at every stop on the ladder, not sure why there's not more hype rather than just desperation calls from those stashing in redrafts. And if he can be used as a hitter occasionally that would be the icing on the cake- will he hit much in the bigs?

I guess the lack of big hype is actually a good thing though.  It will have made it easer to acquire him one way or the other.  Even though I was near the bottom of the league in waiver priority, I still managed to get him this morning now that the pitcher version of him has been put in Yahoo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

he clears waivres in my league tonite as a pitcher. I assume he is given to the Mckay hitter owner but still have all my FAAB in just in case he slips thru

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hailfire4 said:

he clears waivres in my league tonite as a pitcher. I assume he is given to the Mckay hitter owner but still have all my FAAB in just in case he slips thru

Why would he be given to the Brendan McKay (hitter) owner? That person added a player of absolutely no value, why should they get first dibs of a new player entering the player-verse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, steve9347 said:

Why would he be given to the Brendan McKay (hitter) owner? That person added a player of absolutely no value, why should they get first dibs of a new player entering the player-verse.

 

Not to turn this into a discussion/debate about Yahoo's platform and it's problems/merits all over again, but here is why many leagues will probably manually give the pitcher version to whoever owned Brendan McKay prior to 6/25/2019:

1) McKay, up until 6/25/2019, was always in the player pool as simply Brendan McKay. There was no differentiation of the hitter version and the pitcher version. So if you wanted to own him, you drafted/picked him up. To me, you own the rights to Brendan McKay in his entirety. The original McKay owner didn't own just the hitter version, they owned the ONLY version, he just happeend to only have 1B eligibility despite having more value as a pitcher. 

2) McKay was first added to Yahoo's player universe well before we had Shohei Ohtani in the MLB. We had no idea how a dual threat player would be categorized or treated. Yahoo gave him 1B eligibility initially, which seems arbitrary, but there was no reason at that time to believe that if he came up as a pitcher they wouldn't simply add SP eligibility. 
 

It's up to every league to decide how they want to manage this, but I think it's lazy to let it be settled by waivers now that Yahoo has put a giant announcement at the top of league homepages that they are adding a pitcher version of this player to the player pool. Hopefully if you play in a Yahoo league and you've been stashing McKay for some time your commish and leaguemates are reasonable and will do the right thing. 

Edited by mjb03003
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, steve9347 said:

Why would he be given to the Brendan McKay (hitter) owner? That person added a player of absolutely no value, why should they get first dibs of a new player entering the player-verse.

Because whoever is using up a roster spot on the hitter McKay is only doing so as a placeholder for the pitcher McKay. It is shady to not give that person the pitcher version of McKay. Really shady. I can not think of any other reason except for jealousy that someone would try to take the pitcher McKay away from the owner that owns the hitter McKay. And it isn't "competitiveness" that would cause that type of behavior. Jealousy isn't a justification to act shady. Rules can not encompass every hypothetical scenario and sometimes you have to play by the spirit of the rules. If someone swiped the pitcher McKay on a technicality I would not play fantasy sports with that person in the future. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I get what some are saying, but wasn't McKay (the now batter version of him) always listed amongst the hitters if you have him on your bench?  Correct me if I'm wrong, but somebody in my league has had him for a while now, but always had him on his bench because we only have one NA spot in our league.  If I am correct, then technically the now batter version has always been considered a hitter and not a pitcher.

I have no problem with people doing whatever they think is fair for their particular league.  I got him this morning, but I had a much worse waiver position than the team that has the Batter version, so it's not like I stole the Pitcher one from him.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

I get what some are saying, but wasn't McKay (the now batter version of him) always listed amongst the hitters if you have him on your bench?  Correct me if I'm wrong, but somebody in my league has had him for a while now, but always had him on his bench because we only have one NA spot in our league.  If I am correct, then technically the now batter version has always been considered a hitter and not a pitcher.

I have no problem with people doing whatever they think is fair for their particular league.  I got him this morning, but I had a much worse waiver position than the team that has the Batter version, so it's not like I stole the Pitcher one from him.

Yes. In Yahoo he was 1B, and it was always up in the air how Yahoo would handle his eligibility. Those who stashed 1B McKay took a risk, and it did not pay off.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jyeatbvg said:

Yes. In Yahoo he was 1B, and it was always up in the air how Yahoo would handle his eligibility. Those who stashed 1B McKay took a risk, and it did not pay off.

If this is what people are discussing (Yahoo), then I'm not sure what the issue is.  He was listed as a hitter, and almost everybody should have assumed that Yahoo would do with him what they did with Ohtani at some point.  If he was just listed as Brendan McKay on other platforms, then that's a different story.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

one better hope we dont see a lot of pitchers that also field and hit in near future like mckay, or yahoo might crash lol. On topic though, in a keepers league, does his value as pitcher is similar to that of a potential ace?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What if Yahoo in their wisdom took Wander Franco and cloned him into a pitcher? then took pitcher Franco gave him to his owner and put hitter Franco into the waivre pool? Our league handled Ohtani as the guy with the first pick got 1 Ohtani. Then with his last pick in draft he was given the second Ohtani.  while not a perfect idea it was the best we could do. Yahoo cloning players is really a bad idea heck if Ohtani owner owned McKay also he would have 2 players in 4 roster spots. Our commish has been absent so it looks like we will go the WW route. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

I get what some are saying, but wasn't McKay (the now batter version of him) always listed amongst the hitters if you have him on your bench?  Correct me if I'm wrong, but somebody in my league has had him for a while now, but always had him on his bench because we only have one NA spot in our league.  If I am correct, then technically the now batter version has always been considered a hitter and not a pitcher.

I have no problem with people doing whatever they think is fair for their particular league.  I got him this morning, but I had a much worse waiver position than the team that has the Batter version, so it's not like I stole the Pitcher one from him.

That’s ridiculous. He was stashing McKay the human being. He didn’t know they’d split him. Imagine someone owning Senzel as a MiLB 2B and then Yahoo inexplicably creates an OF Senzel at call up and someone else grabs him and says “Sorry you have the 2B one!” I’m not sure why this would make sense to anyone other than someone trying to justify skirting the rules and gaining an advantage on a technicality.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

That’s ridiculous. He was stashing McKay the human being. He didn’t know they’d split him. Imagine someone owning Senzel as a MiLB 2B and then Yahoo inexplicably creates an OF Senzel at call up and someone else grabs him and says “Sorry you have the 2B one!” I’m not sure why this would make sense to anyone other than someone trying to justify skirting the rules and gaining an advantage on a technicality.  

No. Hitter and pitcher is different from 2B and OF. Yahoo split Ohtani, what made people think they'd treat McKay differently. They picked up hitter McKay taking a gamble, one that probably wasn't close to a sure thing.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

That’s ridiculous. He was stashing McKay the human being. He didn’t know they’d split him. Imagine someone owning Senzel as a MiLB 2B and then Yahoo inexplicably creates an OF Senzel at call up and someone else grabs him and says “Sorry you have the 2B one!” I’m not sure why this would make sense to anyone other than someone trying to justify skirting the rules and gaining an advantage on a technicality.  

It's a little different when it's a 2-way player.  Senzel isn't a 2-way player.  He was labeled as a 1B, and everybody knew he was a 2-way player.

I already said that I'm fine with leagues doing whatever they feel is fair, so if a particular league deems the person who picked up McKay as a 1B should also get the Pitcher version, then fine.  I just don't agree that it'd ridiculous otherwise though.

Once again, everybody should have known he was a 2-way player, which should have lead everybody to draw the conclusion that at some point he'd be split like Ohtani was.  In the end, Yahoo caused this though as they should have just split him originally given the fact that they already did it for Ohtani.  I said it a while back in this thread that shouldn't have been that hard since obviously they know what they did for him.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...