• Announcements

• Patrick Bateman

Check out the new Rotoworld Beta Site!   11/14/2018

Rotoworld has been the industry leader in fantasy news and analysis for years, but it was time for a much-needed facelift!  While our around-the-clock, comprehensive coverage will remain the same, the new Rotoworld design will be sleeker, easier to navigate, more video-friendly and will finally be mobile-optimized.    That’s right, you can finally stop pinching the screens on your phones to read our content!  Right now we’re in the beta phase of our launch, and it’s still a work-in-progress, but we’d love for you to check out our soon-to-be new digs, and let us know what you think: https://beta.rotoworld.com.    And then please use the Contact Us button to give us feedback!  
Fort4242

2018 Tight End Rankings and Discussion

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, seanismorris said:

FYI:

Reed has been going in the 6th round.  VD remains a good value in the late rounds.  My problem is Reed...

http://www03.myfantasyleague.com/2018/adp?COUNT=32&POS=TE&ROOKIES=0&INJURED=0&CUTOFF=5&FRANCHISES=12&IS_PPR=-1&IS_KEEPER=0&IS_MOCK=-1&TIME=

Not sure what ADP you’re looking at but in MFL he’s going 9.10

Edited by Chwf3rd
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, cohenstantinople said:

Lotta discussion about a lotta TEs, but no mention of Ed Dickson in these two pages. While I wouldn't suggest he's a pivotal part of the Seattle offense, and I wouldn't suggest Wilson is reliant on his TEs, we've certainly seen Wilson utilize TEs well, either as a safety valve or red zone target. Unlike other teams, there is little-to-no competition here (Nick Vannett); Luke Wilson is gone after 5 years, Jimmy Graham is gone after 3 years, Dickson is the clear #1. I'd suggest that Ed Dickson and his "free" price tag seems a solid late round draft pick for those spending all the early capital on RB/WR.

Consider this carefully designed play:

panthers-crazy-fumble-td-against-bucs.gi

one of my favorite last round targets in bbs atm. could be sneaky useful. the loss of their tes leaves a void and they paid dickson to fill it

• Like 1

18 hours ago, lolcopter said:
On 6/6/2018 at 10:32 PM, seanismorris said:

Ebron is 25, he’s just entering the age TEs typically break out.  Ebron’s struggles are mental not physical...  keep an 👁 on him.

Last time I checked you’re supposed to catch the ball with your hands. He sucks

False! You're only supposed to catch the ball---NFL makes no distinction how and which body parts are used, demonstrated by Gary Barnidge's between-the-knees-catch

barnidging.gif

• Haha 1

I'm not spending a draft pick on Dickson. 

If I'm wrong I'm wrong, but I think nick Vannett and Dickson will probably end up sharing the same 300-500 yards receiving with vannett getting more TD's. 

18 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

I'm not spending a draft pick on Dickson. 

If I'm wrong I'm wrong, but I think nick Vannett and Dickson will probably end up sharing the same 300-500 yards receiving with vannett getting more TD's. 

I wouldn't suggest spending significant capital, but with Vannett serving as [primarily] a blocking TE, you could do a lot worse than Dickson in the late rounds; his cost is next to free. For those who draft Reed and miss out on the VDavis cuff (or Eifert with the Kroft cuff), a deeper league roster might necessitate a second TE. If I didn't draft  a backup TE for Greg Olsen last year in a deep league, I wouldn't have made it to my championship. Just sayin'

52 minutes ago, cohenstantinople said:

I wouldn't suggest spending significant capital, but with Vannett serving as [primarily] a blocking TE, you could do a lot worse than Dickson in the late rounds; his cost is next to free. For those who draft Reed and miss out on the VDavis cuff (or Eifert with the Kroft cuff), a deeper league roster might necessitate a second TE. If I didn't draft  a backup TE for Greg Olsen last year in a deep league, I wouldn't have made it to my championship. Just sayin'

No one cares about your 2nd Grade Teacher's League bro.

I'm just Joshin ya.  

Yeah, I think backup TEs are a must, especially for deep leagues.  I used to be of the mind to only hold 1, but holding 2 has made my fantasy life so much easier.

I personally just don't believe in Dickson and believe that Vannett is being undervalued.  I'm expecting neither to eclipse 500 yards (probably even 400) and Dickson to have a slight edge in receiving yards and Vannett to have a slight edge in TDs.  Vannett has real good hands and tools to be a good receiving TE in this league, and with Dickson being his only slight speed bump to that, I believe this is going to be his time or it's going to be never.

On 6/7/2018 at 4:49 PM, Fort4242 said:

I love this idea - especially with Alex Smith under center.  However, as another poster pointed out, the only issue is the same bye week.  So you would have to roster 3 TEs for a week, which might put a cramp on your bench.

Not necessarily true, if Reed is healthy going into his bye you can drop VD and pick him back up after the bye.

The rumblings about Stephen Anderson with the Texans has been slowly getting louder. Keep an eye on him, I know a few of the experts have been gushing over him this offseason. 

• Thanks 1

Also NO ONE is talking about undrafted Ben Johnson, rookie TE for the Chargers.

He is a super sleeper, but has the tools and athleticism as a pass-catching TE to carve out a role (especially with the options currently on the team)

On 6/8/2018 at 1:27 AM, Packdog said:

one of my favorite last round targets in bbs atm. could be sneaky useful. the loss of their tes leaves a void and they paid dickson to fill it

Olsen missed weeks 3-12 last year.

Dixon was good for 10-30 yards most of those weeks.

Pass

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AirForceOne said:

Also NO ONE is talking about undrafted Ben Johnson, rookie TE for the Chargers.

He is a super sleeper, but has the tools and athleticism as a pass-catching TE to carve out a role (especially with the options currently on the team)

They have enough WRs.  They won't have a problem moving the ball.

4 hours ago, metalmat said:

The rumblings about Stephen Anderson with the Texans has been slowly getting louder. Keep an eye on him, I know a few of the experts have been gushing over him this offseason. 

C.J. Fiedorowicz  was supposed to be the next Gronk.  Think he retired before his productive career ever started.  Same team.  Same coach.

Watson's TD passes were almost exclusively to his WRs last year.

Whoever has the best hands in Dallas.  That's who Dak likes.

Other sleeper picks: Jake Butt, Ben Watson.  Watson had a good season with Brees a couple years ago. 

This is why I have been saying all along that a meaningful Kittle breakout is a long shot:

https://www.ninersnation.com/2018/6/13/17456798/george-kittle-49ers-minicamp-media-celek-time

Shanahan likes Celek as mich as he likes Kittle.  How can Kittle be a serviceable fantasy TE if he is going to be splitting snaps equally with someone else?  And that's in an offense not known particularly for game-planning around the TE position.

2 minutes ago, Rolling Thunder said:

This is why I have been saying all along that a meaningful Kittle breakout is a long shot:

https://www.ninersnation.com/2018/6/13/17456798/george-kittle-49ers-minicamp-media-celek-time

Shanahan likes Celek as mich as he likes Kittle.  How can Kittle be a serviceable fantasy TE if he is going to be splitting snaps equally with someone else?  And that's in an offense not known particularly for game-planning around the TE position.

X2 Jake Butt

21 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

X2 Jake Butt

Are you suggesting that Butt's path to a breakout is as (or more) problematic as Kittle's?  If so, please direct me to reports that Musgrave comes into TC as high (and committed) to someone else as he might be with Butt.  I view the situation in Denver as a true competition, with the winner being the guy.  If there is real evidence that  Musgrave has decided that someone other than Butt has already secured a significant role (as Shanahan has already decided Celek has), then I would love to see it.

this is the first season i may actually draft 2 te's since i will probably pass on the top 3 of gronk-kelce-ertz.  i'm thinking of any 2 combination of  doyle-graham-reed as long as they stay cheap, since I can flex a te

12 minutes ago, dashoe said:

this is the first season i may actually draft 2 te's since i will probably pass on the top 3 of gronk-kelce-ertz.  i'm thinking of any 2 combination of  doyle-graham-reed as long as they stay cheap, since I can flex a te

Graham is already going almost as high as Ertz (5th round to Ertz's 4th round in FFC 12 team PPR).  Not sure how he can be mentioned in the same breath as Reed and Doyle, who are going in the 9th and 12th rounds, respectively.

Speaking of Graham, he might even be the #1 TE for me.  I know we're operating off of zero history here, whereas the big 3 have an established record, but I'm loving the ARod/Graham marriage more than I can stand.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rolling Thunder said:

Graham is already going almost as high as Ertz (5th round to Ertz's 4th round in FFC 12 team PPR).  Not sure how he can be mentioned in the same breath as Reed and Doyle, who are going in the 9th and 12th rounds, respectively.

Because i stated i would take 2 TE's this year because I don't want to take the top 3? And i stated it would be a combo of 2 out of the 3? i don't think I stated they were equal value, all i cared about is if they were cheaper than the top 3 where I can get a nice return on the pick. 

Also i don't follow ffc because idiots get on there and skew things taking Qb's in the first, everyone from the same team, kickers in the 2nd so if he is trading in the 5th then I prob wouldnt touch him. 

1 hour ago, Rolling Thunder said:

Speaking of Graham, he might even be the #1 TE for me.  I know we're operating off of zero history here, whereas the big 3 have an established record, but I'm loving the ARod/Graham marriage more than I can stand.

I remember a similar sentiment when Jared Cook went to GB. 

I actually got a GB homer to bet me $500 that Cook would be a top 10 fantasy TE that year. Easiest money I ever made. 

2 hours ago, Rolling Thunder said:

Are you suggesting that Butt's path to a breakout is as (or more) problematic as Kittle's?  If so, please direct me to reports that Musgrave comes into TC as high (and committed) to someone else as he might be with Butt.  I view the situation in Denver as a true competition, with the winner being the guy.  If there is real evidence that  Musgrave has decided that someone other than Butt has already secured a significant role (as Shanahan has already decided Celek has), then I would love to see it.

I don’t think there’s “a guy” unless Butt really takes the job by the haunches and humps it into submission.   It’s just a question of what degree of timeshare.  I’ll be sure to update you if I hear anything other than coachspeak about “opportunity” and “improvement” as it relates to Butt and Heureman.  

20 hours ago, Impreza178 said:

I don’t think there’s “a guy” unless Butt really takes the job by the haunches and humps it into submission.   It’s just a question of what degree of timeshare.  I’ll be sure to update you if I hear anything other than coachspeak about “opportunity” and “improvement” as it relates to Butt and Heureman.  

Coincidentally, RW just posted this:

Broncos coach Vance Joseph said he is "very excited" with sophomore TE Jake Butt's progress.

Butt missed his entire rookie season recovering from a torn ACL, but he was fully healthy for the offseason program. "He works so hard and he’s obviously a playmaker [when] you watch him catch the football," Joseph said. "He’s going to be a great addition to our offense." In a weak tight end group, Butt will get every chance to earn the starting job. He could surprise in fantasy.

@Impreza178, you'll owe me one before this is over :D

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Experienced Rookie said:

I remember a similar sentiment when Jared Cook went to GB. 

I actually got a GB homer to bet me $500 that Cook would be a top 10 fantasy TE that year. Easiest money I ever made. 

Tell me you're not comparing Graham to Cook.

8 minutes ago, Rolling Thunder said:

Coincidentally, RW just posted this:

Broncos coach Vance Joseph said he is "very excited" with sophomore TE Jake Butt's progress.

Butt missed his entire rookie season recovering from a torn ACL, but he was fully healthy for the offseason program. "He works so hard and he’s obviously a playmaker [when] you watch him catch the football," Joseph said. "He’s going to be a great addition to our offense." In a weak tight end group, Butt will get every chance to earn the starting job. He could surprise in fantasy.

@Impreza178, you'll owe me one before this is over :D

Just passing on what I hear as a groupie.... 

Im definitely excited about Butt long term.  

mark my words it will be a hit and miss start for him in 2018.    ^VJspeak means diddly doo.  

• Like 1