kmoore1521

Jake Bauers 2018 Outlook

Well the Rays OF positively sucks. Bauers is interesting because he has some power and speed, also OF/1B type. With the Rays needed someone who can actually hit the ball, they should dump Gomez, Refsnyder types and give Bauers a long look. I'd take a shot at him. 

Definitely worth a speculative add.  Always a fan of guys who can take a walk in the minors.  His power/speed combo could play well too especially if they give him some games at 1B.

13 minutes ago, kwolf68 said:

Well the Rays OF positively sucks. Bauers is interesting because he has some power and speed, also OF/1B type. With the Rays needed someone who can actually hit the ball, they should dump Gomez, Refsnyder types and give Bauers a long look. I'd take a shot at him. 

Mallex Smith shouldn’t be safe either he’s atrocious.  

At the very least I’m taking this as a sign that teams think they’re past Super Two if Tampa is calling up one of their prospects! Take notice Toronto.

• Like 1

Just now, Cmilne23 said:

Mallex Smith shouldn’t be safe either he’s atrocious.  

Smith has the speed to at least cause some trouble.

They need Kevin Kiermeir back, that will make the OF look a lot more palatable. Right now I rank it worse than the White Sox OF and that's pretty hard to do.

Just picked him up.  His AAA stats don't stand out (including a pretty poor success rate for stealing), but might as well take a shot anyways.

No they sure don't stand out, but if he can come close to his current AAA slash line in the majors (yea, probably not likely) he instantly becomes this teams best OF option. Who knows how it will go, but take a shot.

The important numbers. 73/89 and 78/112.

BB/K ratios are great. Love guys who can get on base. We'll see how he fairs against MLB pitching, but if he manages to stay up for the rest of the season, I could easily see him putting up a .250-.270 BA, with a nice mix of HR/SB potential. 

Plays 1B, LF, and has a little bit of RF experience as well.

TB's current OF's:

Carlos Gomez - .190 BA

Mallex Smith - .264 BA (basically a slightly better version of Jarrod Dyson in ARI, which isn't a compliment)

Johnny Field - .250 BA

KK - On the DL.

Should be fairly simple to pickup at bats, especially with TB playing with the DH spot. I can easily see Cron and him splitting DH/1B duties on days where they don't want Baurers in the OF.

In 16-teamers or deeper, this is the kind of guy you want to take a chance on. Plays on a weak TB team and people won't run to him because of that.

Let's see what happens.

15 hours ago, meh2 said:

At the very least I’m taking this as a sign that teams think they’re past Super Two if Tampa is calling up one of their prospects! Take notice Toronto.

No way they promote Vlad JR soon as they're hesitant to promote him to AAA :/

Even though he's been better of late, it's still nice to see Bauers draw Mike Leake for his first game.  It'll be interesting to see what he does tonight.

http://rotoprofessor.com/prospects/?p=2477

Waiver Wire Guidelines: Jake Bauers (Who Has Drawn Joey Votto Comparisons) Is A Must Own Option

by Eric Stashin (aka The Rotoprofessor)

The Tampa Bay Rays have finally decided to summon Jake Bauers from Triple-A, and whether he’s given time at 1B (46 games played in ’18) or in the OF (6 games played in ’18, 146 over his minor league career) there is little question that he’s going to be in the lineup.  The question is how big of an impact can he make?  Let’s take a look and see where his potential impact lies:

Average/On Base Percentage

Bauers owns a .276 average over his minor league career, including a .268 mark over 683 AB at Triple-A.  That doesn’t seem impressive, but he also has a .365 OBP at Triple-A as he’s shown a strong approach (strikeout rate // walk rate):

• 2017 – 19.5% // 13.6%
  • 2018 – 21.2% // 10.4%

With SwStr% of 9.5% in ’18 and 9.0% in ’17, there’s every reason to believe that he’ll carry this into the Majors.  Couple that with an ability to hit the ball hard and he should be a .260+ hitter with a strong OBP.

Just how good is he at drawing a walk?  As per MLB.com, “Bauers’ advanced approach and feel for working counts drive his on-base skills, as he paced the International League in walks (78) after ranking second in Southern League in 2016.”

Let’s put it this a different way, after the 2017 season Baseball America said “Bauers has the makings of a younger version of Joey Votto”.  That’s high praise, to say the least.

Power

This has not yet translated to game action, with just 5 HR in 197 AB this season.  However he’s shown plenty of extra base power at Triple-A, and that gives hope that he will be able to grow/mature into it before long:

• Doubles – 45
  • Triples – 1
  • Home Runs – 18

Maybe he’s not a consistent 30+ HR slugger, but at 22-years old the upside is there to develop 25+ HR pop (and he could even show it by year’s end).  Even from a first baseman, with his ability to get on base there’s nothing wrong with that.

Speed

Bauers isn’t a pure burner, but he is athletic and knows how to use it.  Over his time at Triple-A he’s gone 30-for-39 in SB attempts, and from a position that generally offers little upside in this department it can’t be overlooked.

Conclusion

Bauers may not be an elite prospect, but he has the potential to make a bigger impact than he’s given credit for (especially in OBP formats).  He could be a .270/25/10 first baseman, hitting in the middle of the batting order.  Concerned that the left-handed hitter is destined for a platoon?  Just look at his split from this season:

• LHP – .309/.397/.544
  • RHP – .264/.336/.364

He has the potential to be a difference maker in all formats from Day 1 (and the Rays have no reason to call him up and not play).

Fantasy Waiver Wire Guidelines:
  • 10 Team League – Not quite Must Add (but close)
  • 12 Team League – Must Add
  • 14+ Team League – Must Add
  • AL-Only League – Must Add
  • Keeper/Dynasty – Must Add

he is also only 22 years old.

• Thanks 1

Would be awesome if this kid ends up being good.... think of the memes!

giphy.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

https://razzball.com/jake-bauers-fantasy/

So, Jake Bauers was called up to presumably play every day.  I mean, if the Rays waited this long to bring him up, they’re not doing it for a bench bat.  He’s a little bit of everything vs. a lot of one thing, which is less exciting in short-term, but could be something long-term.  His Steamer projections are yawnstipating 7/8/.238 (click his name to see projections), but I could see him being a bit closer to 9/16/.265/.345.  Not bad, not great.  Breathlessly, “He’s okay.” 

6 hours ago, midlip said:

Would be awesome if this kid ends up being good.... think of the memes!

giphy.gif

Yeah I remember the first time I read about this Jake guy in the past my mind turned him into Jack immediately.

Hopefully he brings even half as much fear in pitchers and Jack did to some of the characters on 24 (definitely thinking back to near the end of his run when the ex-president was basically peeing himself in his limo when he saw him walking down the street like Iron Man).

Posted (edited)

Sounds more like a Brandon Belt type than a Joey Votto as per the rotoprofessor article above.  That might not be a bad thing at all.

Edited by knuckleheads

Granted it's only been 2 games so far, but he's looked more like Jack Bauer actually trying to play baseball than him pulling a Jack Bauer at the plate so far.

home run.  batting second.  i know its the rays, but some potential here to put up some decent numbers....

Ok, I obviously take back what I said a couple of days ago.  He's come alive in the last 3 games, with tonight obviously being the bust out game.

9 hours ago, rrrrich46 said:

Meet the #2 1B in points. Damn.

I do think his upside is pretty high in a points format. Lots of doubles. Good plate discipline in the minors. 

Posted (edited)

Do we have a burgeoning stud on our hands

Edited by ShowTyme

Seen all of his games so far. He has great strike zone awareness and knows how to put the barrel on the baseball. He also plays with a ton of energy. Good looking player. Personally I'm buying, especially in dynasty formats.