• Announcements

• Patrick Bateman

Check out the new Rotoworld Beta Site!   11/14/2018

Rotoworld has been the industry leader in fantasy news and analysis for years, but it was time for a much-needed facelift!  While our around-the-clock, comprehensive coverage will remain the same, the new Rotoworld design will be sleeker, easier to navigate, more video-friendly and will finally be mobile-optimized.    That’s right, you can finally stop pinching the screens on your phones to read our content!  Right now we’re in the beta phase of our launch, and it’s still a work-in-progress, but we’d love for you to check out our soon-to-be new digs, and let us know what you think: https://beta.rotoworld.com.    And then please use the Contact Us button to give us feedback!  

47 minutes ago, Axe Elf said:

Tavon Austin is more of a sleeper in Dallas than Allen Hurns.

Why?

I've taken a shot on Williams every time he's had an opportunity and the guy is a rock solid face-plant.

17 minutes ago, FreakFries said:

Why?

I've taken a shot on Williams every time he's had an opportunity and the guy is a rock solid face-plant.

Who said anything about Williams?

Austin is a former top-10 draft pick with great speed and quickness who can benefit from an offensive line like Dallas has.  In 2015, he tied for the #24 fantasy WR (standard scoring) with rookie Amari Cooper, largely because of his ability to score TDs from anywhere on the field.  He doesn't do much downfield work (they have Hurns for that) but on jet sweeps and screen passes he can be a menace--and the Cowboys don't really have anyone else for that.  They have no TE to speak of, and precious little talent at WR.  I've seen some sites that have Austin listed as an RB, others as a WR, and a few that even have him with dual RB/WR status, so he offers roster flexibility.  He will also be the team's kickoff and punt returner, so if you have a league that scores for individual return TDs and/or yardage, he'll be a plus in that department as well.

Bottom line, in most normal-sized leagues I don't know that Austin can be a consistent enough scorer to warrant a roster slot just yet, but he's worth an end-of-the-bench flier in larger leagues, and I'm keeping my eye on how they use him during camp and preseason.

• Like 2

Er,  said Williams.

haha! 

Just a complete force of habit when thinking about Cowboy WRs I guess. 

I agree with everything you said about TA. It’s a shame because I just don’t have faith in the coaches to turn him into a surprise Star like T Hill was. Even still, I agree on TA but still think Hurns is a decent late round flyer.

19 minutes ago, FreakFries said:

I agree with everything you said about TA. It’s a shame because I just don’t have faith in the coaches to turn him into a surprise Star like T Hill was. Even still, I agree on TA but still think Hurns is a decent late round flyer.

Hurns is probably a better bet for consistent scoring--and he's getting drafted in the 10th round on that potential, while Austin is not typically being drafted at all.  That substantiates my point--that Austin is a bigger sleeper than Hurns is.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, FreakFries said:

if mcvay couldn't make austin work for the rams the cowboys incompetent coaching staff prolly doesn't make him work either. your mistrust in them is well placed. i don't mind hurns as a double digit round pick. for all the reasons already stated pretty much but key among them being there is really no one else

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Axe Elf said:

Who said anything about Williams?

Austin is a former top-10 draft pick with great speed and quickness who can benefit from an offensive line like Dallas has.  In 2015, he tied for the #24 fantasy WR (standard scoring) with rookie Amari Cooper, largely because of his ability to score TDs from anywhere on the field.  He doesn't do much downfield work (they have Hurns for that) but on jet sweeps and screen passes he can be a menace--and the Cowboys don't really have anyone else for that.  They have no TE to speak of, and precious little talent at WR.  I've seen some sites that have Austin listed as an RB, others as a WR, and a few that even have him with dual RB/WR status, so he offers roster flexibility.  He will also be the team's kickoff and punt returner, so if you have a league that scores for individual return TDs and/or yardage, he'll be a plus in that department as well.

Bottom line, in most normal-sized leagues I don't know that Austin can be a consistent enough scorer to warrant a roster slot just yet, but he's worth an end-of-the-bench flier in larger leagues, and I'm keeping my eye on how they use him during camp and preseason.

Ah yes, the old Axe Elf "Tavon Austin will outscore Amari Cooper" schtick. 

Run from Austin like the plague. 

51 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

Ah yes, the old Axe Elf "Tavon Austin will outscore Amari Cooper" schtick. 

Run from Austin like the plague. 

Ah yes, the old straw man argument--attribute something to someone that they didn't say, and then ridicule them for it.

But even if I HAD said it, don't you think that merely tying Amari Cooper, as Austin did in 2015, wouldn't be a particularly resounding defeat?

Learning is not just about accumulating facts, people; learning is also about developing the ability to think.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Green Manalishi said:

It’s official. Austin is going 1500/16 fellas.

The last guy who had that kind of a prediction--Allen Robinson--was on pace for 480 receptions and 8160 yards when he went down for the season in the first two minutes of Week 1.

6 hours ago, Axe Elf said:

Ah yes, the old straw man argument--attribute something to someone that they didn't say, and then ridicule them for it.

But even if I HAD said it, don't you think that merely tying Amari Cooper, as Austin did in 2015, wouldn't be a particularly resounding defeat?

Learning is not just about accumulating facts, people; learning is also about developing the ability to think.

And learning is about having the courage to accept and face up to making wrong predictions/advice -- not hide away scared for 2 years like you have.

We all make wrong predictions, but most of us stick around to accept the consequences of them and/or apologize to those we misled. Your  cowardly actions these past 2 years have done neither, so don't think you can lecture me or anyone else on what wisdom is given your track record of refusing to accept responsibility for your actions on this and several other forums.

And I will say this again to everyone: Run from any Austin hype while you can.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

And learning is about having the courage to accept and face up to making wrong predictions/advice -- not hide away scared for 2 years like you have.

We all make wrong predictions, but most of us stick around to accept the consequences of them and/or apologize to those we misled. Your  cowardly actions these past 2 years have done neither, so don't think you can lecture me or anyone else on what wisdom is given your track record of refusing to accept responsibility for your actions on this and several other forums.

That seems kind of harsh.

FWIW Axe Elf, I thoroughly enjoyed and thought you had some good analysis that year even the predictions that turned out to be wrong.

I also got a kick out of the Handed-Down-From-High-Above tone of the posts. That was fun reading. Always nice to see some stat-backed conviction.

• Like 1

Quarterback sleepers, top of my head:

Mahomes

Cousins

Flacco

Winston

For one QB leagues, guys who will be late round flyers but could sneak into the top 10 or so.

52 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Mahomes

Cousins

Flacco

Winston

For one QB leagues, guys who will be late round flyers but could sneak into the top 10 or so.

Love all of these except Flacco - yuck.  Has Flacco ever finished inside the Top 10 QBs?

4 hours ago, joshua18 said:

I'll lecture you on whatever I like, whenever I like, because posts like these show how far from reality you would be stranded if not for the guidance of myself and those eager plebeians who learn at my feet.

Now before you get confused and try to come at me two years from now wailing about how I predicted Tavon Austin would lead the league in receiving TDs the year they cut Dez, or some other such nonsense like you've embarrassed yourself with above, keep in mind that I only said that Tavon Austin is a bigger sleeper than Allen Hurns.  Hurns is being drafted around the 10th round; Austin typically goes undrafted.  This IS a sleeper thread, after all.  If you want to call that "hype," you can do that on your own little Elf-hater island--because no one else in their right mind would consider it such.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Fort4242 said:

Love all of these except Flacco - yuck.  Has Flacco ever finished inside the Top 10 QBs?

I like the O-line improvements and Crabtree is a huge upgrade over Maclin in my eyes.  

2 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Mahomes

Cousins

Flacco

Winston

I say Winston has the best shot at surprising (in a positive way) with his performance in 2018.

Cousins has done well in recent years, so he'd have to perform out of his mind to qualify as a sleeper.

Mahomes has marinated for a year, so maybe he can perform at a high level out of the gate.  I'm just relictant to place bets on guys who may face a steep learning curve.

Flacco is hopeless IMO, improved supporting cast or not.  He should not have been given that mega-contract.

3 hours ago, Axe Elf said:

I'll lecture you on whatever I like, whenever I like, because posts like these show how far from reality you would be stranded if not for the guidance of myself and those eager plebeians who learn at my feet.

Now before you get confused and try to come at me two years from now wailing about how I predicted Tavon Austin would lead the league in receiving TDs the year they cut Dez, or some other such nonsense like you've embarrassed yourself with above, keep in mind that I only said that Tavon Austin is a bigger sleeper than Allen Hurns.  Hurns is being drafted around the 10th round; Austin typically goes undrafted.  This IS a sleeper thread, after all.  If you want to call that "hype," you can do that on your own little Elf-hater island--because no one else in their right mind would consider it such.

Yawn. 

Looking forward to you disappearing again once the games start to count. 

How not to pick a sleeper: rely on the same player McVay's staff deemed unplayable to blossom under the incompetence of the DAL coaching staff. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, joshua18 said:

How not to pick a sleeper: rely on the same player McVay's staff deemed unplayable to blossom under the incompetence of the DAL coaching staff. 

Speaking of incompetence, your reading comprehension has failed you somewhere if you think that Axe Elf is relying on Tavon Austin to blossom in Dallas.  Let's review...

On 6/11/2018 at 12:46 PM, Axe Elf said:

You got one thing right, though--what no one should EVER do with ANY sleeper is rely on them.

9 hours ago, joshua18 said:

Did you ever own up to your false Amari Cooper claims & bad predictions?

Just checking since we're not a forgiving bunch.

19 minutes ago, psygolf said:

Every wrong call I've made I've been here to take the firing squad for.  I didn't slink away for two seasons like some posters. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, psygolf said:

Don't poke the bear.  Ive noticed a more humble tone from the Elf.  In fact, I haven't seen him refer to himself in the 3rd person this summer.  Lets not get that nonsense started up again.

16 minutes ago, Experienced Rookie said:

Don't poke the bear.  Ive noticed a more humble tone from the Elf.  In fact, I haven't seen him refer to himself in the 3rd person this summer.  Lets not get that nonsense started up again.

He was poking Joshua, not Axe Elf.

• Haha 1

Just now, Axe Elf said:

He was poking Joshua, not Axe Elf.

Sorry.

When there's a horrendously bad call that needs owning, I just assume it's you.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Experienced Rookie said:

Sorry.

When there's a horrendously bad call that needs owning, I just assume it's you.

Related image

Tavon Austin is now going to be my RB1.  Going to sit back and just soak in the value.

One thing I will say for Axe Elf is this:  After week 1 of 2017, I dropped Dion Lewis to pick up Tarik Cohen.  This is before week 2.  Axe predicted I would probably be dropping Cohen to pick Lewis back up.  And I did just that a few weeks later.  

Uncanny.