The 7th Beatles

Duke Johnson 2018 Outlook

Looks like Duke's ppr magic from last year is over, he will still have some good games but they'll be hard to pick out, the Browns seem to be trying to move away from using Duke the way they did. I wish they would just line him up as a wide out when using Chubb in the backfield and actually use his talent. He has better hands than some of the browns wideouts anyway... I'm going to try to hold him for a while to see if anything changes for him after adding him again after I just dropped him a few weeks ago. 

Edited by Godeep
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Marty Funkhouser said:

Haven’t seen a player with such clear talent continue to be misused and ignored by his own team year after year. It’s confounding.

Kenyan Drake and Aaron Jones say hello. Hell, even Lindsay needed a Freeman injury and a bunch of garbage time carries to lead the Broncos backfield in touches on Thursday night.

I guess this guy is droppable. I'll just keep Chubb of course, but not promising what I saw from Duke. 

I read that Duke was in the slot last year, which Landry now occupies. With Njoku at TE and Duke in 3rd down I don’t see him having consistent games. It sucks they don’t use him. Dukes ceiling I think I can get with Lindsay’s floor. 

Why would you sign this guy to a 3-year/$15MM deal and then make him a complete afterthought. Browns will never change, failure is part of their DNA.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, FitzMagic said:

I guess this guy is droppable. I'll just keep Chubb of course, but not promising what I saw from Duke. 

If you have both, it might not be a bad thing to keep Duke as a handcuff. If Chubb went down, DJ could potentially be a 3 down back for them.

• Thanks 2

All I can think about is the opening scene from the Karate Kid II when John Kreese snaps Johnny's 2nd place trophy in half and yells, "How does second place feel now?! You're a LOSER!"

Edited by Mikeyvegas

4 minutes ago, datsyuk said:

If you have both, it might not be a bad thing to keep Duke as a handcuff. If Chubb went down, DJ could potentially be a 3 down back for them.

Can't keep him. No room. I have enough RBs right now though if that happens. If Sony has a season-ending injury then I'll drop him though and pick Duke back up. If not, then no big loss. Fournette has really screwed me this year holding my IR spot hostage all season. With how Yahoo moves players to Questionable every week it has been tough keeping a guy in that last spot. I went ahead and picked up my week 9 bye TE since another team needs a TE that same week.

2 minutes ago, smeeze said:

Maybe he'll finally get more involved:

Hue Jackson - C - Browns

Hue Jackson thinks he needs to be "a little bit more involved" with the offense moving forward.

Oct 22 - 9:21 AM

He said the same about Chubb, then 3 carries the next game. Maybe they are thnking about trading Chubb now to get Duke more involved?! :lol:

Citing intentions to get Duke Johnson more involved, the Cleveland Browns have traded Nick Chubb to the Green Bay Packers for a 6th round pick. Duke is now the unquestioned #1 back in Cleveland. “We’re excited to finally see what he can do given the opportunity.”

Joe “Madeup” Smith

Source: NotClevelandNews

#madeup

I don't own Duke, so I'm not a salty DJ owner. I actually own Hyde and Chubb (and have all season). 

Cleveland's refusal to utilize Duke is quite puzzling. I understand Hyde's history as a bellcow, especially considering the receiving acumen he demonstrated last year. Now that he's gone, I understand Chubb's attractiveness as a bellcow-type runner. But they have a RB in DJ who has demonstrated great chops in the passing game, catching 188 passes in his first three years in the league with a 9.3 yards per catch. That's a pretty impressive average for a back. He's even shown the ability to be effective carrying the ball with a career 4.3 ypc. And yes, we look at Duke as a 3rd down guy, and that's what he is and has been. However, it's not like he's this tiny little guy who will break...he's 5'9" 210. That's not big, but that's plenty big to handle a dozen touches each game. 

He's not a stud, and I don't think anyone itt would argue that he is. But he is definitely an effective RB when used, and the fact that Cleveland has not found a way to include him in their offense is atrocious. On a team with so few offensive weapons, how is it that this weapon can be so efficiently ignored? Mayfield doesn't check down? Screw that and screw him. Design plays to get DJ the ball. Gear the offense to get him touches in space, and then tell your QB to make it happen. Mayfield needs to work within Todd Haley's system, not the other way around. I get it...NFL, franchise QB, can't treat players like kids, blah blah blah. Haley is the OC, and he needs to find ways to get Duke the ball, and he needs to implore Mayfield to find ways to get Duke the ball. 

Cleveland has one legit WR. They have one legit TE, who is in his 2nd year and is still learning the NFL. They have a rookie RB who looks legit and should be given his touches. What else do they have on offense, aside from Mayfield? Zip (though maybe Callaway develops into something). How about using some creativity, Haley?? Put Chubb and Duke in the huddle together...split Duke out sometimes...let them line up side-by-side in the backfield at times...split Baker out wide and let Duke take the snap in the wildcat. When you have a dearth of offensive weapons, you have to figure out a way to get the ones you have on the field as often as possible and then get the ball in their hands. I am no OC, but in my mind Landry, Njoku, Chubb, and Duke should be on the field for as many offensive snaps as possible. Utilize the personnel but switch up the groupings, and get them on the field and distribute the ball to them. 

I'm not a Duke owner or a Cleveland fan...but watching them screw around is just baffling and irritating.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

I don't own Duke, so I'm not a salty DJ owner. I actually own Hyde and Chubb (and have all season). 

Cleveland's refusal to utilize Duke is quite puzzling. I understand Hyde's history as a bellcow, especially considering the receiving acumen he demonstrated last year. Now that he's gone, I understand Chubb's attractiveness as a bellcow-type runner. But they have a RB in DJ who has demonstrated great chops in the passing game, catching 188 passes in his first three years in the league with a 9.3 yards per catch. That's a pretty impressive average for a back. He's even shown the ability to be effective carrying the ball with a career 4.3 ypc. And yes, we look at Duke as a 3rd down guy, and that's what he is and has been. However, it's not like he's this tiny little guy who will break...he's 5'9" 210. That's not big, but that's plenty big to handle a dozen touches each game. 

He's not a stud, and I don't think anyone itt would argue that he is. But he is definitely an effective RB when used, and the fact that Cleveland has not found a way to include him in their offense is atrocious. On a team with so few offensive weapons, how is it that this weapon can be so efficiently ignored? Mayfield doesn't check down? Screw that and screw him. Design plays to get DJ the ball. Gear the offense to get him touches in space, and then tell your QB to make it happen. Mayfield needs to work within Todd Haley's system, not the other way around. I get it...NFL, franchise QB, can't treat players like kids, blah blah blah. Haley is the OC, and he needs to find ways to get Duke the ball, and he needs to implore Mayfield to find ways to get Duke the ball. 

Cleveland has one legit WR. They have one legit TE, who is in his 2nd year and is still learning the NFL. They have a rookie RB who looks legit and should be given his touches. What else do they have on offense, aside from Mayfield? Zip (though maybe Callaway develops into something). How about using some creativity, Haley?? Put Chubb and Duke in the huddle together...split Duke out sometimes...let them line up side-by-side in the backfield at times...split Baker out wide and let Duke take the snap in the wildcat. When you have a dearth of offensive weapons, you have to figure out a way to get the ones you have on the field as often as possible and then get the ball in their hands. I am no OC, but in my mind Landry, Njoku, Chubb, and Duke should be on the field for as many offensive snaps as possible. Utilize the personnel but switch up the groupings, and get them on the field and distribute the ball to them. 

I'm not a Duke owner or a Cleveland fan...but watching them screw around is just baffling and irritating.

Maybe Belichick trades for Duke? He LOVES Browns talent. Thoughts, guys?

47 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Baker Mayfield is a downfield rookie passer, he doesnt understand the concept of checkdown and moving chains, he is focused on the big play downfield.

He also doesnt understand that he doesnt have the pass catching talent downfield to make the big plays happen. He doesnt throw to move the offense into an optimal scoring position  he throws to try to beat the defense on one play as if he is still in college. i expect him to make the leap forward next season.

Haley keeps scheming for the big chunk play and hasnt changed his approach in 6 games. there is no dink and dunk in this offense, the focus is on play action.

Duke should be used 100% more in this offense than he currently is.

He is an actual play maker in space, not elite level like kamara or cmc but elite when you look at the browns roster. he creates a lot of mismatch issues whe he lines up as a wr or even coming out of the backfield.

This clearly is a haley and baker strategy,  communication and execution issue, not a Duke talent issue.

When your passing offense is ranked  # 31 you need to make some significant adjustments to the passing game.

Edited by dashoe
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mikeyvegas said:

Maybe Belichick trades for Duke? He LOVES Browns talent. Thoughts, guys?

coleman -gordon-duke why not? he already has james white so Duke would be redundant. 

Eagles could definitely use Duke in the Sproles role. I would love to see that trade happen

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Baker Mayfield is a downfield rookie passer, he doesnt understand the concept of checkdown and moving chains, he is focused on the big play downfield.

He also doesnt understand that he doesnt have the pass catching talent downfield to make the big plays happen. He doesnt throw to move the offense into an optimal scoring position  he throws to try to beat the defense on one play as if he is still in college. i expect him to make the leap forward next season.

Haley keeps scheming for the big chunk play and hasnt changed his approach in 6 games. there is no dink and dunk in this offense, the focus is on play action.

Duke should be used 100% more in this offense than he currently is.

He is an actual play maker in space, not elite level like kamara or cmc but elite when you look at the browns roster. he creates a lot of mismatch issues whe he lines up as a wr or even coming out of the backfield.

This clearly is a haley and baker strategy,  communication and execution issue, not a Duke talent issue.

When your passing offense is ranked  # 31 you need to make some significant adjustments to the passing game.

No, I get that about Baker. But he is a talented, intelligent professional. He might be a rookie, but he's been playing QB for all of his life. He is intelligent enough to understand the need to do more than just chuck it downfield and how to use the entire field and every weapon at his disposal. There are growing pains with any QB, and I get that this is Baker's. But that is Todd Haley's job. It is his job as OC to prepare his QB, to teach him how work within the construct of the offense, and to utilize the weapons available to him.

I do not blame Baker one iota, and I apologize if I came across that way. I lay the blame at the feet of Haley and at the feet of Hue Jackson as the HC. Duke is, as you said, an elite talent in the context of the Cleveland offense, and as such, Haley and Jackson need to make it a priority to see that he gets touches and is involved in the offense. I see little reason that Chubb can't get 15-20 touches while Duke gets 11-13 touches every game. Haley needs to think outside of the very limited box he has packaged himself within. And if he ever does, I think we see the Browns offense take a step forward, and I think we see the maturation and improvement of Mayfield. 

Edited by Flyman75
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Flyman75 said:

No, I get that about Baker. But he is a talented, intelligent professional. He might be a rookie, but he's been playing QB for all of his life. He is intelligent enough to understand the need to do more than just chuck it downfield and how to use the entire field and every weapon at his disposal. There are growing pains with any QB, and I get that this is Baker's. But that is Todd Haley's job. It is his job as OC to prepare his QB, to teach him how work within the construct of the offense, and to utilize the weapons available to him.

I do not blame Baker one iota, and I apologize if I came across that way. I lay the blame at the feet of Haley and at the feet of Hue Jackson as the HC. Duke is, as you said, an elite talent in the context of the Cleveland offense, and as such, Haley and Jackson need to make it a priority to see that he gets touches and is involved in the offense. I see little reason that Chubb can't get 15-20 touches while Duke gets 11-13 touches every game. Haley needs to think outside of the very limited box he has packaged himself within. And if he ever does, I think we see the Browns offense take a step forward, and I think we see the maturation and improvement of Mayfield. 

Maybe there's hope?

Hue Jackson thinks he needs to be "a little bit more involved" with the offense moving forward.

"I feel like I have to and I want to," Jackson said after the Browns lost to the Bucs in overtime. "That's what I know, so I'm not going to continue to watch something that I know how to do keep being that way, and that's just the truth." Jackson might want to calm down a bit considering his offenses finished 31st and 32nd in scoring the last two seasons, but the unit does have more talent and a much better quarterback this year. With the Browns underachieving for the third season in a row, Jackson has to be feeling the heat.

3 hours ago, smeeze said:

Maybe he'll finally get more involved:

Hue Jackson - C - Browns

lol. Never believe Hue.

Duke is so good on 12 touches a game. Game-changing efficiency. It's too bad- it'll probably change once Hue is canned, but I don't know if that's near. The leadership doesn't seem pleased though. I think Dorsey wants to can Hue real bad. 

2 hours ago, dashoe said:

coleman -gordon-duke why not? he already has james white so Duke would be redundant. 

Eagles could definitely use Duke in the Sproles role. I would love to see that trade happen

oh forgot kenny Britt was traded to pats last year too. pats seem to get a lot of ex browns players

Duke is a great pass catcher and it makes me sad how poorly utilized he is.  The Browns should look at how other teams use their pass catching backs (ahem Patriots) and just try to copy it.

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, whoopsie said:

Duke is a great pass catcher and it makes me sad how poorly utilized he is.  The Browns should look at how other teams use their pass catching backs (ahem Patriots) and just try to copy it.

Yep.....now we know why some teams are winners and some are losers.  Cleveland actually has quite a bit of talent too.

4 hours ago, dashoe said:

dropped Lamar Miller this week and picked up Duke in a 1 PPR League. Pretty sweet move 

As a Birds fan, would also love to see the Eagles make this move. They could def use Duke's talents as another back out of the backfield who can catch. 

1 hour ago, dashoe said:

oh forgot kenny Britt was traded to pats last year too. pats seem to get a lot of ex browns players

This article is from 2016 but there has been more players since: 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.patspulpit.com/platform/amp/2016/10/7/13188876/examining-the-roster-ties-between-new-england-patriots-cleveland-browns-lewis-sheard

Edited by Mikeyvegas
  • Like 1