The 7th Beatles

Duke Johnson 2018 Outlook

3 minutes ago, whoopsie said:

Why did they sign him to an extension and then not use him?

When Baker takes over he will be used but with  a very mobile Tyrod there is no reason to use him

• Like 2

Browns coach Hue Jackson said Duke Johnson needs to get more touches moving forward.

Johnson has touched the ball just 11 times on offense through two games. Jackson said the running back is one of their best playmakers and needs to touch the ball more, but it is tough to trust that will happen. Johnson needs to be relegated to fantasy benches for the time being.
Sep 18 - 12:49 PM

Well, at least this is a sliver of hope for us disappointed owners.  He's a hold for now.   I was tempted to cut but can't do so now with this news.Then hope Hue follows through and maybe a change to Baker at some point.

:lol: Hue's such a moron. Here's how you get Duke more touches.

1. Insert Baker Mayfield at QB so you have a QB with touch that can throw to the RB.

2. Fire yourself immediately after inserting Mayfield in the starting lineup.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I had a chance to keep him at $10, he ended up going for like 16 so I was a little disappointed at myself, but when I was trying to evaluate the situation to me he had a really solid year in 2017, however, they added two very capable upgrades to their backfield in Hyde (who can do some 3-down work) and Chubb.   For a guy like Duke, its all about touches, carries and catches - my thought in watching the Browns 17 was that here and there he was getting some carries but that in 2018 those would be next to none, in 2017 I thought he might even lose some targets to others plus Landry signing Njoku another year, Gordon, Callaway etc.  It to me all pointed at a guy whose ceiling might be a flex play.  

Does Hue Jackson saying they will utilize Johnson more change anything? He's available on my wire and if I can't nab Bernard, I'm considering just grabbing him and stashing him... He wasn't a guy I really knew much about until this year but after watching some of his highlight reels, I don't understand why they signed Hyde. Or why they re-signed him if they weren't gonna use him. 

Duke is now available in two of my PPR leagues.  

Last season in PPR he ranked 11th among all RBs.

As for Taylor not being able to hit RBs, McCoy did fine last season with 77 targets and 59 receptions

Tolbert and Cadet went 14/17 and 13/16 respectively.  

I dont see why Duke can’t get his 

Thoughts?

Tyrod has had accuracy issues, and week 1 was bad weather. All I can think of past that is they wanted to see what they had in their 2 new backs so far, or they were in the games enough to try to control the clock without Duke, honestly, I have no idea. All I know is Duke has very high play maker ability. If he doesn't have some sort of undisclosed injury, it just makes no sense to me, we all know how explosive he is when screened to. I'm still holding him in the hopes Mayfield comes in and checks down to Duke. There was a report saying the coach says they need to get him the ball more. Fingers crossed. 

• Like 2

I just don't really understand his usage. Why in the world would the Browns give him a great contract extension only to not use him? I think this is his absolute floor right now, I would be buying everywhere I can.

• Like 1

Anybody actually starting him tonight?  Still shocked about his usage in the passing game, and 3rd downs.  We'll see if what Hue said this week comes to fruition. 

5 minutes ago, Tugginroot said:

Anybody actually starting him tonight?  Still shocked about his usage in the passing game, and 3rd downs.  We'll see if what Hue said this week comes to fruition. 

You know he'll blow up for 8 catches for 72 yards and 95% of his owners will have him on the bench...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dashoe said:

His value going forward is very questionable

I don’t think it’s questionable. He’s a clear drop at this point. When you’re supposed to be the third down pass catching back and you don’t get many touches despite them being down most of the game, it’s done.

Yikes.  I thought Mayfield would help his cause with dump offs.  What a fall off for such a great fantasy asset last year.  

Since receiving his first NFL target, Duke Johnson had never played a game where he had 2 or fewer targets, and less than 45 total yards. He's had two in a row.

In only 5 of 46 games did he only have 2 targets. He averaged 5.2 targets per game in those 46 games. Only 2 targets in two straight games. This is the most inexplicable turn of events.

I still think there's a glimmer of hope that this is an anomaly. It's not like he's been benched or replaced. He's still the passing down back. It's still the same coaches. There's just no logical explanation for why he can't catch 4 or 5 passes a game. In fact, I kind of feel like this has to turn around. 

• Like 1

Yeah, here we were clamoring for a change to Baker.  Didn't help him much.  And Hue said they were going to use Duke more?  Ha.  Why bother when you have Carlos Hyde and a QB who can put some zip on his throws and be accurate.

Duke is a drop for me.

5 minutes ago, CooL said:

Yeah, here we were clamoring for a change to Baker.  Didn't help him much.  And Hue said they were going to use Duke more?  Ha.  Why bother when you have Carlos Hyde and a QB who can put some zip on his throws and be accurate.

Duke is a drop for me.

They're using him plenty, he just isn't producing. 

Through 2 weeks, Duke had played a higher snap percentage than Chris Thompson, Matt Breida, Alex Collins, Jay Ajayi, Tarik Cohen, Bilal Powell, Isaiah Crowell, Royce Freeman, Phillip Lindsay, etc etc. 

It seems really unlikely that he's going to play this much, and continue to get targeted this infrequently. 

• Like 1

Man this sucks cause I was all aboard the Duke Johnson train this season. I would say hold him but if you have better options on the WW he can be dropped.

2 minutes ago, metalmat said:

Man this sucks cause I was all aboard the Duke Johnson train this season. I would say hold him but if you have better options on the WW he can be dropped.

Still playing over 40% of the snaps on the season. That's great for a 3rd down back. 

For comparison, Austin Ekeler is at 32%. 

The targets will come. I mean, they have to.