The 7th Beatles

Duke Johnson 2018 Outlook

2 hours ago, theSPANKER said:

Yes but you must remember they don't have any proven WR pass catchers other than Landry on the roster and last Sunday Duke was the most explosive guy on the field.  

They'd be a FOOL not to get Duke much more involved going forward.  

Exactly this!  I know Chubb is the shiny new toy, but have you looked at the next four games?  They are going to be down even with the pretty good defense they have.  I'm a Georgia fan and Chubb isn't some prolific pass catching back.  This team has no receivers beyond Landry and Duke may be one of the best pass catching backs in the league.  He comes in when they're down and he'll be used.  I'm not saying he's the better back to own, but people are seriously underrating Duke's talent.  The reason Haley used Bell like he did was because he was great in all aspects of the game.  They are going to have to use Duke and I think they are confident enough in both backs to use them both.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, theSPANKER said:

"If you're a defensive coordinator and if there's one guy to stop and you just stop that one guy, your chances go up of winning the game, so why not try to stop that one guy and just see who else can beat you?'' Landry said. ).  

Duke is being underutilized (not only as a receiver) but just as a receiving RB he should thrive against the Bucs who are giving up a ton of yards to receiving backs.  From ROTO before the trade:

With 41.7 receiving yards per game the past three outings, Johnson is finally earning some steady inclusion in the passing phase again. The Buccaneers, meanwhile, have allowed 66.6 receiving yards per game to tailbacks, third most in the NFL. There is still a good bit of risk given Johnson's lack of reliable usage this season, but the matchup and recent trends align for a sneaky flex play in deeper leagues.

-----------------------------------------------------

Duke started out with a bad game and that was clearly an anomaly if you look at what he's done every game since the first game but the poor catch rates for Callaway and Landry have been  their all year. 

Antonio Callaway

• 37.5% Catch rate (over past 5 games 38.46 %)

Jarvis Landry

• 46.3% Catch rate (over past 5 games (over past 5 games 46.15 %)

Duke Johnson

• 63.3% Catch rate (over the past 5 games 81.3%)

Duke should be used more in the passing game.

Hey spanker what link shows receiving yards per game to tailbacks?  Thanks

2 minutes ago, TennisMenace said:

I love you, man!  Thanks for caring and for sharing. ((((((Man hug)))))

pS. I always root for the Pack. Best fans in the NFL.

Obviously note the # games played as well into the equations. Some teams have the byes. 

I dont look look at it much but there are some pretty horrible teams against pass catching rbs

38 minutes ago, PackerBacker555 said:

Wow, did you notice the worst defenses against RBs giving up most points

1. KC

3. Atl

7. T Bay

guess who Cleveland plays the next three weeks? 

Wow, Chubb and Duke should eat......

notice the yards RB receives as well as rushes for. Wow

• Like 1

wow ironically i picked up DJ jr bc I'm a LF owner and was desperate for any sort of rb. My seasons pretty much over bc of rb struggles though. LF and jordan howard. the dynamic duo

8 hours ago, stay_woke said:

What a dumb thing to complain about. He was picked up and held in my league since his 2 TD game

Nope, its a pretty ok thingto complain about. I get picking up Chubb, but dropping Hyde for him? This was a a week before any trade discussions had surfaced. Why drop the nr 1 rb on the team to pick up a guy who had 16 carries all season? Do not make any sense. 

3 minutes ago, pne094 said:

Nope, its a pretty ok thingto complain about. I get picking up Chubb, but dropping Hyde for him? This was a a week before any trade discussions had surfaced. Why drop the nr 1 rb on the team to pick up a guy who had 16 carries all season? Do not make any sense. 

Sounds like a wizard to me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

DJ junior owners are the real winners here. This kid is going to get more work finally. Been holding all year..  5/27 7/60 1 book it! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Any cool FAAB stories that can top the one in my league in which someone bid 884 (1000) for DJ?

Also, don't forget Mayfield has been dealing with an ankle injury. We can see a lot of short dumpoff passes to DJ

Edited by Swagitude

3 hours ago, Swagitude said:

Also, don't forget Mayfield has been dealing with an ankle injury. We can see a lot of short dumpoff passes to DJ

Anybody know how much Mayfield dumped down to his RBs in college?  I'm guessing not much

2 hours ago, Tugginroot said:

Anybody know how much Mayfield dumped down to his RBs in college?  I'm guessing not much

I watch OU football religiously and Baker has never been a "dump off" QB. He broke national records in college for his average depth of target. He is looking downfield and he has the arm strength and confidence to take shots down field. He did throw to Joe Mixon pretty often, but that is because OU sent Mixon on actual routes downfield and he put up big receiving numbers because of it. 

If they send Duke on actual routes downfield he will look for his, but he's not gonna hit him as the 5th read at the line of scrimmage when nobody else is open that often. 

Haley needs to get creative with Duke. He needs to script screens and crossing routes designed for him to be the 1st read because otherwise Bake is gonna be looking to pick up chunk plays down the field. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dukes arrow is definitely pointing up. I've been patient with him all season but I can't say I have faith in this coaching staff to figure it out. I'm looking at it that's I've held him this long and the backfield is finally less crowded so I'm crossing my fingers that he gets more involved from here on out.

Isn't Chubb expected to just step into Hyde's role? I guess there is a chance DJ gets used a little more but why so much optimism that Duke is a lot better with Chubb in place of Hyde? Chubb isn't a good receiver but Hyde was basically a 2 down thumper as well and had less than 2 targets per game. 

5 minutes ago, Jaw1 said:

Isn't Chubb expected to just step into Hyde's role? I guess there is a chance DJ gets used a little more but why so much optimism that Duke is a lot better with Chubb in place of Hyde? Chubb isn't a good receiver but Hyde was basically a 2 down thumper as well and had less than 2 targets per game. 

Duke’s arrow was already pointing up before the Hyde trade... with all the WR injuries (and trades) the Browns will need to get him involved more in the passing game such as out of the slot, more wheel routes, etc. 

The passing game will run through Landry, Njoku and the Duke...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, smeeze said:

Duke’s arrow was already pointing up before the Hyde trade... with all the WR injuries (and trades) the Browns will need to get him involved more in the passing game such as out of the slot, more wheel routes, etc. 

The passing game will run through Landry, Njoku and the Duke...

You're giving the coaching staff and Haley WAY too much credit IMO.  Look at how AZ has, or lack thereof, been using DJ.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tugginroot said:

You're giving the coaching staff and Haley WAY too much credit IMO.  Look at how AZ has, or lack thereof, been using DJ.  

On his podcasts, Sigmund Bloom always brings up the ‘assumption of rational coaching’, typically in the context of repeated instances when coaches fail to make what would seem to be a rational choice to us on the outside looking in. 

This is why I’m hesitant to accept that the trade will result in what we all recognize as the rational coaching move; more targets for Duke. 

We shall see. 

Edited by candygram4mongo
  • Like 2