Sidearmer

Jose Miguel Fernandez 2018 Outlook

Fernandez has crushed it in the minors the last 2 years and was highly touted coming out of Cuba. He should get routine playing time with Pujols shifting to DH, most likely at 1st. He has played all over in AAA (1B, 2B, 3B).

Quickly tried to add him in Yahoo and he's not even in the player pool. If he's in the pool in other formats he is a great add, especially if he starts with multi eligibility.

20/19 BB/KK ratio even in PCL is extremely impressive. 26 HR in 546 career MILB ABs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chrisrfu said:

oh gosh I thought it was MIA Jose Fernandez. #toosoon?

Legit still makes me sad to think about it. What a horrible loss of life and talent. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, elrey said:

Yeah this guy needs a middle name because there can only be one Jose Fernandez. 

I think it's Jose Miguel Fernandez

Would have added him as well if he was in the Yahoo system.  He'll be available on Monday I believe since I don't see them adding him before the day is over.

Starting at 1B and hitting 7th this afternoon.

For those on Fantrax, he's available... and 2B eligible.

21 hours ago, Sidearmer said:

Fernandez has crushed it in the minors the last 2 years and was highly touted coming out of Cuba. He should get routine playing time with Pujols shifting to DH, most likely at 1st. He has played all over in AAA (1B, 2B, 3B).

Quickly tried to add him in Yahoo and he's not even in the player pool. If he's in the pool in other formats he is a great add, especially if he starts with multi eligibility.

20/19 BB/KK ratio even in PCL is extremely impressive. 26 HR in 546 career MILB ABs.

I'm looking forward to seeing him.   

I just called ESPN.. apparently their system doesn’t add players on the weekend. The rep told me to check to see if he’s added by tuesday.. and if not call back. He’s already played 3 games in the majors. Surprised I can’t grab him by now

Edited by ghostdragon

The guy is a pure hitter. Defensively he stinks but I think he’s going to run away with this opportunity. I’m hoping he can hit his way toward the top of the lineup to break up all those right-handed bats.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ghostdragon said:

I just called ESPN.. apparently their system doesn’t add players on the weekend. The rep told me to check to see if he’s added by tuesday.. and if not call back. He’s already played 3 games in the majors. Surprised I can’t grab him by now

That's pitiful. If they have a "rep'' working Sunday maybe they can teach him/her how to add a player

1 hour ago, meh2 said:

The guy is a pure hitter. Defensively he stinks but I think he’s going to run away with this opportunity. I’m hoping he can hit his way toward the top of the lineup to break up all those right-handed bats.

And that's probably the only way he's going to have any significant value.  Not knocking his hitting ability, as he obviously has the ability to hit .300, but it looks like he has very little power looking at his career stats.  Still, he's somebody I'll keep an eye on, especially in a season where batting averages are so low overall.

He's got some pop, he'll hit HRs--esp these juiced mlb balls. Just strokes line drives all over the field too. Great eye and plan at the plate and does not K much either. My worry is they pinch hit for him when a lefty came in, really hope they don't run a strict platoon, because he can hit lefties fine. I believe they have 3 south paws on tap this week.

• Like 3

Why does everyone say he doesn't have power?  He had an ISOs of .192 and .217 in the minor leagues with double digit home runs both seasons.

The question is whether they will bench Cozart for this guy.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, B&F said:

Why does everyone say he doesn't have power?  He had an ISOs of .192 and .217 in the minor leagues with double digit home runs both seasons.

The question is whether they will bench Cozart for this guy.

I only saw KilloWertz suggest he doesn't have much power. 

5 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

I only saw KilloWertz suggest he doesn't have much power. 

Yeah, so far I think I was the only one.  If I'm wrong, my bad.  I was just going by what he did in his league before he was banned, and he had basically no power there.

2 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

Yeah, so far I think I was the only one.  If I'm wrong, my bad.  I was just going by what he did in his league before he was banned, and he had basically no power there.

Interesting. Im assuming this was a Cuban league?

His minor league stats this year are pretty damn enticing...10 HR in 226 PA with an 8% k rate all while slashing .345/.412/.562

4 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

It's so tough to gauge power over there. Big parks, huge alleys and gross seams on the ball to manipulate spin.

Now, he's not a slugger ala many of the other great cubans that came over but he has great bat speed and lightening quick wrists.

Just got lost in the shuffle because of his age and odd circumstances around him--sitting for years while getting here, LAD odd contract language that facilitated a non call-up when he deserved it last year, then a release in the off-season.

Plus in two more games at 1B which looks to be his spot, he will be 1B, 2B, MI, and CI eligible at least in CBS anyways.  Thats valuable to me these days with the 10 day DL

Edited by astromutt
Grammar
  • Like 1

After last night's ESPN prime time game, it was said that "Ohtani is likely to need Tommy John Surgery". Numerous articles confirm that possibility. I think this is great for Fernandez. Pujols shifts to DH fulltime again, and Jose plays 1B full time. Correct?

3 minutes ago, balancedman178 said:

After last night's ESPN prime time game, it was said that "Ohtani is likely to need Tommy John Surgery". Numerous articles confirm that possibility. I think this is great for Fernandez. Pujols shifts to DH fulltime again, and Jose plays 1B full time. Correct?

Probably a platoon. Marte might bet ABs vs. LHPs.

• Like 1