My Dinner With Andre

LeBron James 2018-19 Season Thread

26 minutes ago, StifleTower2 said:

On what end of the floor?  He basically plays point on offense, although he may not with Ball.  I don't think he has any experience playing center on defense so I don't think so.  The original Shaqtin a fool is going to go for 20/10.  He is a champion after all.  

Well for small ball purposes, someone has to guard the Draymonds and the other Quick Stretch 5’s. There is a reason why you only saw McGee play only like 15 minutes with the Warriors.

1 minute ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

Well for small ball purposes, someone has to guard the Draymonds and the other Quick Stretch 5’s. There is a reason why you only saw McGee play only like 15 minutes with the Warriors.

I was being sarcastic about Shaqtin a Fool although he has shown some improvement.  I guess the keyword is "some" time because yeah Lebron can guard Draymond.  LeBron is not under any circumstance guarding Dwight, DeAndre, or Drummond imo.  This team isn't going to be good, why risk your superstar taking hits in the post from bigger players?  

52 minutes ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

What are the odds Lebron plays some C? Are the Lakers really relying on McGee and Zubac for the majority of the minutes?

I don't think very good.  He's never liked playing in the post, on offense or defense, so I anticipate the Lakers signing another banger inside and play them along with McGee..... 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Here's some good perspective on Lebron's 2nd run with Cleveland from 3 beat writers..... You can also access the nearly 3 hours of their sit down about Lebron.  Kyrie never wanted Lebron around and resented his presence and his nearly iron fisted influence.  In some ways, it's ironic that Kyrie's trade demand and eventual grant was generally part of the final straw.  Although some of the writers thought Lebron would always move on..... Never was long for Cleveland to finish his career.  

https://waitingfornextyear.com/2018/07/cavs-roundtable-beat-writers-92-3-the-fan/

Many of the bullet points seem to back up a lot of the Kyrie can’t handle playing w Bron narrative. He wanted to be the man, but he never could w the world’s greatest player on his team. Like I said, guys like K Love can handle it, Kyrie couldn’t. 

Regardless, thanks for posting. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MugsyBogues said:

Many of the bullet points seem to back up a lot of the Kyrie can’t handle playing w Bron narrative. He wanted to be the man, but he never could w the world’s greatest player on his team. Like I said, guys like K Love can handle it, Kyrie couldn’t. 

Regardless, thanks for posting. 

I guess.... Love can in a way.  He had to go to therapy because of all the criticism, started losing his hair, and went grey early, but I guess he stayed..... Kyrie decided he didn't want to be around when Lebron left and forced his way out.  My biggest criticism of Kyrie is the lack of self awareness.  He's a really good player, but don't think he was going to be able to win a title in Cleveland as the best player.  Maybe as we don't know what it would have looked like (Kyrie and Wiggins?).  Regardless, it was an interesting read and listen....

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I guess.... Love can in a way.  He had to go to therapy because of all the criticism, started losing his hair, and went grey early, but I guess he stayed..... Kyrie decided he didn't want to be around when Lebron left and forced his way out.  My biggest criticism of Kyrie is the lack of self awareness.  He's a really good player, but don't think he was going to be able to win a title in Cleveland as the best player.  Maybe as we don't know what it would have looked like (Kyrie and Wiggins?).  Regardless, it was an interesting read and listen....

Kyrie is kind of a weirdo, no? Wish the bullet points had some time stamps, cause I’d love to hear the part about Kyrie not really believing the earth is flat, but using it to deflect. Ha. Wth man. There are better ways to do that. 

I’m a big Bron fan. Think he’s turned out to be a pretty darn good guy (and player), all things considered. 

Edit: Oh and that Love stuff is great! Hadn’t heard some of it. Lol. Like the guy. Think he went through a lot of unfair blame and criticism and seems pretty unphased by it all. I can respect that. 

Edited by MugsyBogues
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

It just goes to show how emotionally mature Love is.  Men in general are less likely to seek mental health help, even when needed. The fact that he was treated like s--- and instead of whining about it or complaining to the media he found a way to deal with it shows his maturity.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, MugsyBogues said:

Kyrie is kind of a weirdo, no? Wish the bullet points had some time stamps, cause I’d love to hear the part about Kyrie not really believing the earth is flat, but using it to deflect. Ha. Wth man. There are better ways to do that. 

I’m a big Bron fan. Think he’s turned out to be a pretty darn good guy (and player), all things considered. 

Edit: Oh and that Love stuff is great! Hadn’t heard some of it. Lol. Like the guy. Think he went through a lot of unfair blame and criticism and seems pretty unphased by it all. I can respect that. 

Not believing the Earth is flat, what a weirdo!

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

On 7/1/2018 at 8:22 PM, RedDogNamedClippers said:

I guess Lebron retiring a Laker

So much for all about being near family. That was his reason for going back to Cleveland after his Miami years.

45 minutes ago, MrWannaBee said:

So much for all about being near family. That was his reason for going back to Cleveland after his Miami years.

He's had a house in Los Angeles for years and his oldest son is playing basketball in LA. 

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, MrWannaBee said:

No, the reason why he went back to Cleveland was a failed attempt to appease people who were disgusted by “The Decision”.  It failed because the damage was already dealt.  The second reason was to get Cleveland a championship and he succeeded in that regard due in no small part to Draymond getting himself suspended.  I’m not trying to put an asterisk on that ship because at the end of the day Cleveland won and GSW lost.  But don’t think for one second that LeBron’s intentions were entirely pure.  I’ve never seen an athlete who cares more about the opinion of others than he does.  Then he tries to pander to the public but you can’t please everyone so no matter what he does someone will dislike him no matter what.  

Oh I've seen a few on Lebron's level, but nobody above. He's comically insecure. Rather have this Lebron than Decision-era Lebron, personally, but I'd rather have neither and he's not a very likable human. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

Oh I've seen a few on Lebron's level, but nobody above. He's comically insecure. Rather have this Lebron than Decision-era Lebron, personally, but I'd rather have neither and he's not a very likable human. 

Really!? 

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

If his soul was placed in a normal person’s body instead of a 6’8” jacked basketball player’s body he would end up on the Reddit thread “nice guys” for sure. 

Edited by StifleTower2

2 hours ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

Really!? 

I think some folks feel there's an artificialness to Lebron.  A lack of genuineness.  A guy that smiles and generally says the right things, but there's a lack of authenticity to him.  There are a lot of rumblings and rumors about him privately which the press doesn't always cover for different reasons.  I'm not saying these criticisms are fair or even if I share them, but while Lebron is undoubtedly the most popular and greatest player of his generation, there somewhat of an undercurrent to him.  Hopping to a 4th organization within his career doesn't help either.  Ironic, he'll almost certainly always been seen as not quite Jordan, who is beloved.  Privately, Jordan's a petty d*#^.  lol.  In some sense, it's the age of information they lived in.... Narratives used to be more easily controlled.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I think some folks feel there's artificialness to Lebron.  A lack of genuineness.  A guy that smiles and generally says the right things, but there's a lack of authenticity to him.  There are a lot of rumblings and rumors about him privately which the press doesn't always cover for different reasons.  I'm not saying these criticisms are fair or even if I share them, but while Lebron is undoubtedly the most popular and greatest player of his generation, there somewhat of an undercurrent to him.  Hopping to a 4th organization within his career doesn't help either.  Ironic, he'll almost certainly always been seen as not quite Jordan, who is beloved.  Privately, Jordan's a petty d*#^.  lol.  In some sense, it's the age of information they lived in.... Narratives used to be more easily controlled.

For me it’s that he’s the perfect definition of a r/niceguys.  His legacy will be that of bending assbackwards to appease one group of people while completely ******** over another group of people in the process and then he wonders why the second group doesn’t like him.  He’s surrounded himself with dumbasses from his childhood who give him s--- advice.  The Decision was a horrible decision and one that I think he was pushed into.  He only likes to play with “his guys”.  He has that AAU ball mindset that friends are more important than ball so he drags his buddies along with him wherever he goes. In Miami he was fortunate enough that his guys were superstars.  But now his guys are role players.  He loves having shooters around him like Mike Miller and JR Smith so he can have someone to blame when they miss the potential game winners that he doesn’t shoot himself.  It’s just fortunate that Ray Allen bailed him out versus the Spurs.  He also loves having a humble PG such as Chalmers or Hill to push around because HE handles the ball.  Then when he realized that The Decision was unpopular he moved back to Cleveland.  Having Irving wasn’t enough so he traded for Kevin Love who became his whipping boy and drove him into psychiatric care.  You can say that he did Love a favor but he kinda ****** him over because now he moved to a third team.  Now Love is stuck on a s--- team at the same time the Twolves are ascending.  Can you imagine what they would look like if they never traded Love for Wiggins?  Teague, Butler, Love, KAT.  Well that’s an irrevelant hypothetical.   I just bring it up to show that he straight doesn’t give a f--- about anyone other than his own crew.  He’s an NBA star that has the mindset of an AAU baller.  Lol....

Edited by StifleTower2
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, StifleTower2 said:

For me it’s that he’s the perfect definition of a r/niceguys.  His legacy will be that of bending assbackwards to appease one group of people while completely ******** over another group of people in the process and then he wonders why the second group doesn’t like him.  He’s surrounded himself with dumbasses from his childhood who give him s--- advice.  The Decision was a horrible decision and one that I think he was pushed into.  He only likes to play with “his guys”.  He has that AAU ball mindset that friends are more important than ball so he drags his buddies along with him wherever he goes. In Miami he was fortunate enough that his guys were superstars.  But now his guys are role players.  He loves having shooters around him like Mike Miller and JR Smith so he can have someone to blame when they miss the potential game winners that he doesn’t shoot himself.  It’s just fortunate that Ray Allen bailed him out versus the Spurs.  He also loves having a humble PG such as Chalmers or Hill to push around because HE handles the ball.  Then when he realized that The Decision was unpopular he moved back to Cleveland.  Having Irving wasn’t enough so he traded for Kevin Love who became his whipping boy and drove him into psychiatric care.  You can say that he did Love a favor but he kinda ****** him over because now he moved to a third team.  Now Love is stuck on a s--- team at the same time the Twolves are ascending.  Can you imagine what they would look like if they never traded Love for Wiggins?  Teague, Butler, Love, KAT.  Well that’s an irrevelant hypothetical.   I just bring it up to show that he straight doesn’t give a f--- about anyone other than his own crew.  He’s an NBA star that has the mindset of an AAU baller.  Lol....

The LBJ hate is thick in here!  The narrative you have developed is completely nuts.  IMO.  Lebron has an all time great mindset and he wouldn't be nearly as successful without it.  

This is too much to decompress and I need to go have a beer by the pool, but his legacy will not be what you say. His legacy will be that he was one of the handful greatest players of all time. One who was continuously great for a longer stretch of time than any other player before him.

Remember, it is not his fault that he is so good his GMs and owners say "who else do you want on this team we just want to make you happy" although he will be eternally punished for it.

We can continue this discussion at a later time, lol

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, jay14bay said:

The LBJ hate is thick in here!  The narrative you have developed is completely nuts.  IMO.  Lebron has an all time great mindset and he wouldn't be nearly as successful without it.  

This is too much to decompress and I need to go have a beer by the pool, but his legacy will not be what you say. His legacy will be that he was one of the handful greatest players of all time. One who was continuously great for a longer stretch of time than any other player before him.

Remember, it is not his fault that he is so good his GMs and owners say "who else do you want on this team we just want to make you happy" although he will be eternally punished for it.

We can continue this discussion at a later time, lol

I am being hyperbolic 😜.  I know he’s one of the best in terms of talent.  Not a fan personally though. Admittedly in part that’s because he has faced off against the players who I actually like.

• Like 2

Ok I’ll say one more thing about LeBron and then I’ll shut up about him.  To me the NBA is better with him in it.  In my eyes he’s a great super villain because he stood in the way of my favorite players.  Firstly it was Dirk’s first title in 2011.  I was a huge Dirk fan back in the day and to see JJ Barea and Jason Terry cut up Miami’s “super team” was a thing of beauty. I made a ****ton of money betting on the underdog Mavs. Then it was the Spurs.  Watching Kawhi miss that free throw and the Spurs inability to get a rebound in game 6 allowing Ray Allen to make that three.  I would have made a s--- ton of money if the Spurs (also underdog) won the series.  Then it was Steph Curry and the Warriors.  Point is, he’s always the villain trying to beat the hero’s, at least in my eyes.  And he’s easy for me to dislike because I don’t like his play style (not an elite outside shooter) and the hero’s are.  But if he wasn’t in the NBA then there would be no worthy foe.  There needs to be a super villain for there to be super heroes.  Maybe someone else considers him the hero and the Warriors to be the villains.  That’s the beauty of sports, something for everyone.  Then you add the fact that I think he’s a villain to the fact that I really don’t like his personality and everyone can admit he has done some stupid s--- you’ll understand why I dislike him.  But even in my dislike I appreciate his talent and acknowledge that the NBA is better with him in it.  

• Like 1

LeBron is the GOAT, bigger faster stronger than Jordan. You start a dream fantasy team from NBA history with him #1 every time. 

5 LeBron's vs 5 Jordan's, team LeBron wins every time.

One on one he would bulldoze, and absolutely destroy Jordan.

• Confused 1

Love probably wouldn’t still be on that Wolves team and if he was, either Towns or Butler wouldn’t be there. Money wouldn’t match and Timberwolves are a cheap team.

How I view Lebron is this: He got drafted by his hometown team, plays 7 great years with a cheap owner who only was able to get Shaq and pay for Varejao during his young prime years. He got tired and decided to control his own destiny. The Decision”, poor execution but it’s the world we live in now. 

Goes to Miami brings his guys over to win championships. Here is the thing I don’t understand of the hate. We all have known that Lebron is not that great shooting 3’s, especially during the Miami years, so he is faulted for bringing in 3 point shooters who are better than him? Do we fault Kobe for having Rick Fox, Horry & Derek Fisher? Do we fault Jordan for having Luc Longley, Toni Kukoc and Steve Kerr? If you know you not good at something, get the people who are. (Miller, Allen, to an extent Bosh). So he wins championships, learns how to win and build a team with Wade & Riley and feels bad about Cleveland and goes back.

Now look we all know he wasn’t going to win crap with Wiggins. We all know now that Wiggins is a crappy player. So when people should of kept Wiggins then who would of got the rebounds Tristan? Who was going to be the stretch 4? Wiggins still hasn’t developed a consistent 3. Comes t Cleveland again gets his guys, wins a championship; fulfills his dream and makes guys winners. He fulfilled his destiny so he leaves to worry about retirement in LA. 

Every superstar aint perfect:

Jordan had a gambling problem and kept Isaiah Thomas from the Dream Team. 

Kobe exposed Shaq which led to their breakup and had a problem in Denver and couldn’t stand Dwight Howard.

Magic had AIDS.

Lebron has always wanted to win. Whether the players around him wanted the same thing that’s a different story. (JR Smith, Chalmers, Irving) seem like guys who don’t like winning cause how can you complain. A guy is carrying you to the finals every year, and you don’t want to do your part in winning a championship. If you’re in the league to not win championships then you’re in the wrong profession. Like when I hear that Kyrie wanted out from Lebron, first thing in my head is “Oh you and Dion Waiters we’re having fun and living lavishly being the worst team in the league.”

1 hour ago, Auction>Snake said:

One on one he would bulldoze, and absolutely destroy Jordan.

one on one game would be using MMA or basketball rules?    Joking aside, in this hypothetical  matchup I think Jordan would win 70% of the time. 

• Like 1

On 7/14/2018 at 11:02 AM, RedDogNamedClippers said:

Love probably wouldn’t still be on that Wolves team and if he was, either Towns or Butler wouldn’t be there. Money wouldn’t match and Timberwolves are a cheap team.

How I view Lebron is this: He got drafted by his hometown team, plays 7 great years with a cheap owner who only was able to get Shaq and pay for Varejao during his young prime years. He got tired and decided to control his own destiny. The Decision”, poor execution but it’s the world we live in now. 

Goes to Miami brings his guys over to win championships. Here is the thing I don’t understand of the hate. We all have known that Lebron is not that great shooting 3’s, especially during the Miami years, so he is faulted for bringing in 3 point shooters who are better than him? Do we fault Kobe for having Rick Fox, Horry & Derek Fisher? Do we fault Jordan for having Luc Longley, Toni Kukoc and Steve Kerr? If you know you not good at something, get the people who are. (Miller, Allen, to an extent Bosh). So he wins championships, learns how to win and build a team with Wade & Riley and feels bad about Cleveland and goes back.

Now look we all know he wasn’t going to win crap with Wiggins. We all know now that Wiggins is a crappy player. So when people should of kept Wiggins then who would of got the rebounds Tristan? Who was going to be the stretch 4? Wiggins still hasn’t developed a consistent 3. Comes t Cleveland again gets his guys, wins a championship; fulfills his dream and makes guys winners. He fulfilled his destiny so he leaves to worry about retirement in LA. 

Every superstar aint perfect:

Jordan had a gambling problem and kept Isaiah Thomas from the Dream Team. 

Kobe exposed Shaq which led to their breakup and had a problem in Denver and couldn’t stand Dwight Howard.

Magic had AIDS.

Lebron has always wanted to win. Whether the players around him wanted the same thing that’s a different story. (JR Smith, Chalmers, Irving) seem like guys who don’t like winning cause how can you complain. A guy is carrying you to the finals every year, and you don’t want to do your part in winning a championship. If you’re in the league to not win championships then you’re in the wrong profession. Like when I hear that Kyrie wanted out from Lebron, first thing in my head is “Oh you and Dion Waiters we’re having fun and living lavishly being the worst team in the league.”

Little of this post is correct.  

First, Dan Gilbert is a lot of things, but he paid his players and has the luxury tax bills and carry forward tax losses to prove it.  

"The Decision" was a disaster of his creation, not because, "oops, it's the world we live in".  That's silly.

Does anyone care Lebron filled out his rosters with cheap specialist shooters?  This seems to be a new excuse for pyschofants.  I don't think many care Ray Allen, Mike Miller or James Jones were his teammates.

Wiggins was never going to be part of the team with Lebron.  It was already agreed Love would be flipped for him.  It was part of Lebron's demands before he came back. He didn't want to wait for Wiggins to develop.  I don't think a lot of folks feel Cleveland should have been obligated to keep Wiggins.  It's a false choice or narrative.

Magic Johnson never had AIDS.  He has HIV.  

Kyrie Irving didn't like a lot of things about Lebron, but he also saw Lebron wasn't committed to Cleveland and didn't want to be around to pick up the pieces when he shattered the franchise (for a 2nd time), so he forced his way out.  Kyrie may be petty and lack self awareness but at least he could see two cars ahead when it came to Cleveland's future.

I don't think your post illustrates the frustrations some folks have with Lebron, certainly it doesn't highlight the most important reasons....

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Little of this post is correct.  

First, Dan Gilbert is a lot of things, but he paid his players and has the luxury tax bills and carry forward tax losses to prove it.  

"The Decision" was a disaster of his creation, not because, "oops, it's the world we live in".  That's silly.

Does anyone care Lebron filled out his rosters with cheap specialist shooters?  This seems to be a new excuse for pyschofants.  I don't think many care Ray Allen, Mike Miller or James Jones were his teammates.

Wiggins was never going to be part of the team with Lebron.  It was already agreed Love would be flipped for him.  It was part of Lebron's demands before he came back. He didn't want to wait for Wiggins to develop.  I don't think a lot of folks feel Cleveland should have been obligated to keep Wiggins.  It's a false choice or narrative.

Magic Johnson never had AIDS.  He has HIV.  

Kyrie Irving didn't like a lot of things about Lebron, but he also saw Lebron wasn't committed to Cleveland and didn't want to be around to pick up the pieces when he shattered the franchise (for a 2nd time), so he forced his way out.  Kyrie may be petty and lack self awareness but at least he could see two cars ahead when it came to Cleveland's future.

I don't think your post illustrates the frustrations some folks have with Lebron, certainly it doesn't highlight the most important reasons....

I have some comments about the things you have written (maybe not surprisingly to others, based on my posts in this thread) 

My only qualm with this statement is the word "disaster". When people refer to the decision as a disaster, I have to comment.  It was extremely naive and showed just how immature he was at the time - I think he was 24 or 25 - and how inexperienced his boy Maverick was as well. I agree it was a terrible idea and that he shouldn't have done it. But what negative came out of the decision?  Nothing, besides Lebron's reputation and some angry Cleveland fans (the latter was completely unwarranted IMO, but that is another topic). I also point out that raised something like $2 million for the Boys and Girls Club. Now, I concede this was a "lets raise money to save face" thing when in reality the whole decision was about marketing LBJ. But still, that means Lebron's worst decision of his life (no pun intended) did more greater good than most of us on this forum will in our entire lives, probably combined. Because of these two things I don't think it's fair to refer to the decision as a disaster.

I am curious, do you have any proof of this part in bold? If not, then I think the narrative you have developed is flawed. I have not seen any interviews where this information was disclosed, but I could be wrong.  There is a big difference between the scenario where LBJ says "I won't come unless you trade andrew wiggins away" and the scenario where LBJ is approached by the CLE management saying "we are glad to have you back, what roster changes would you like", to which, a response could have very well been "Get me at least one other established vet, preferably a big man who can shoot.  Don't trade Kyrie" or something similar. Do you see my point? I would love to know if there is documentation of a demand.

This one is a prime example of LBJ being held to a different standard than others, even superstars. 

Lebron: played through his contract, admirably I might add.

Kyrie: forced a trade away from a championship contender with arguably the greatest player ever on it for at least another year.

And which is the one who wasn't committed to the team? I am a believer that when you agree to do something, you see it through to completion. And when that agreement is over, you go about your business. (This is why I am a firm supporter of KD going to GSW, since I believe other adults are free to make decisions with their best interests in mind.  But this is another can of worms.)

The debate about Lebron will never end, which is why it's fun.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1