My Dinner With Andre

LeBron James 2018-19 Season Thread

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Gile Pile said:

Some interesting read:  https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/after-landing-lebron-james-in-free-agency-what-on-earth-have-the-lakers-done-with-their-roster/ 

TLDR:

Starters: Ball, Caldwell-Pope, Ingram, James, McGee

Reserves: Kuzma, Hart, Rondo, Stephenson, Deng, Moritz Wagner, Ivica Zubac

 

Yikes. Ay team starting McGee is guaranteed playoff spot :P

Assuming Brook Lopez takes the pay cut he said he would to re-sign with LAL, McGee isn't starting.  

Edited by Kaboom
Re-sign, not resign

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Rondo and Stephenson are such "LeBron signings".

 

LeBron as a general manager is so predictable.

 

He has his new Mario Chalmers and JR Smith to yell at lol.

 

I like them though. Vets, toughness... LeBron is already in form. Still twice the GM Michael Jordan is :D

 

 

Edited by Trench Mob
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Rondo and Stephenson are such "LeBron signings".

 

LeBron as a general manager is so predictable.

 

So odd.... neither can shoot a lick.  Charmers and JR could shoot, although streakily. Going to make it that much easier to guard them in the playoffs.  And Rondo cost them Randle although you could say their pursuit of another max star really did.  Are the Lakers just going to waste a year of Lebrons career in his mid 30’s. Gotta think another move is coming but besides the McGee signing, the others have been underwhelming...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just cant imagine Lebron saying get me Rondo, Mcgee, and Stephenson. Maybe he did, I'm going to not believe that until I hear otherwise.

 

I agree, as the roster sits now it seems like a wasted year of Lebron if we are judging it by pursuit of a championship.  That being said, I don't see where he could have signed that had a max spot available that would put him at a good chance to win one.  Unless he took less money to go somewhere else. The Warriors are too good, it doesn't matter where he signed.

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New city, same beast. Any projections this season for LA Bron? Have heard some people say he could play a lot more off ball, especially with the Rondo/Lance signings. What would that mean for his fantasy value? More 3's less assists? What are your thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Poor Lebron. Not even Kyrie wanted you back after winning a title. I guess Kyrie is selfish or he liked only winning 24 games with Waiters.

 

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/report-kyrie-irving-never-wanted-lebron-james-to-rejoin-cavs-almost-asked-for-trade-after-2016-title/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

Poor Lebron. Not even Kyrie wanted you back after winning a title. I guess Kyrie is selfish or he liked only winning 24 games with Waiters.

 

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/report-kyrie-irving-never-wanted-lebron-james-to-rejoin-cavs-almost-asked-for-trade-after-2016-title/

Just another reason why I’m not a big

LeBron fan.  Imo he’s going to have a weird legacy.  He’s been successful at building the second best team most seasons he’s been in the league.  You can argue that’s just his misfortune but then you hear reports of him being difficult to get along with wherever he goes.  He constantly surrounds himself with scrubs so his teams are just him and 4 shooters.  It’s seems as if he gets off more on being the alpha dog than he does actually winning. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, StifleTower2 said:

Just another reason why I’m not a big

LeBron fan.  Imo he’s going to have a weird legacy.  He’s been successful at building the second best team most seasons he’s been in the league.  You can argue that’s just his misfortune but then you hear reports of him being difficult to get along with wherever he goes.  He constantly surrounds himself with scrubs so his teams are just him and 4 shooters.  It’s seems as if he gets off more on being the alpha dog than he does actually winning. 

 

Usually we agree but I am of a completely different opinion this time.

 

I have seen both arguments. Yours: essentially that he gets off on being an alpha dog on a bad team, and gets undue praise for doing so.  And then the opposite: "wow Jordan never would have teamed up with his superstar friends. He needs to build his own team." Which is it??? lol

 

Disclaimer: big Lebron fanboy here 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, jay14bay said:

 

Usually we agree but I am of a completely different opinion this time.

 

I have seen both arguments. Yours: essentially that he gets off on being an alpha dog on a bad team, and gets undue praise for doing so.  And then the opposite: "wow Jordan never would have teamed up with his superstar friends. He needs to build his own team." Which is it??? lol

 

Disclaimer: big Lebron fanboy here 

I never made that argument regarding Jordan because the bulls DID create a superteam.  Almost every dynasty we remember whether it be the Showtime Lakers, Celtics, BadBoys were “super teams” so I would never make that argument.  What I don’t like about LeBron is that he seems UNABLE to form a super team that sticks together mostly because players don’t like playing with him.  The Heat were an interesting team but they lost to the Mavs in 11 and broke up quickly .  It’s not entirely LeBrons fault because Wade is old and Bosh isn’t even in the league anymore.  But he couldn’t keep the Cavs team together because Irving doesn’t like him and I’m pretty sure he treated Love like s---.  I thought it was absolutely disgusting the way Love and Bosh were treated by him and they were both superstars on their former teams, sacrificed to play with LeBron, they were the ones who had to change for him, then were criticized for not fitting in lol.  Idk suppose I’m ina relationship with a woman and also believe in polyamory so we invite a third.  Then me and the first girl treat the third like s---, making no effort to make them comfortable, instead demanding they change then criticize her for not changing enough.  Love and Bosh are that third girl. For all the credit LeBron gets for being a good teammate on the court I just don’t think he knows how to deal with other human beings off the court.  Now Curry by contrast, he can get along with anyone.  I’m not going to call LeBron an a**hole because we don’t know what goes on in the locker room.  But my feeling he is a bit of a Diva because people have been telling him he is great his entire life.   As such I don’t think he’s developed the interpersonal skills necessary to be a champion and I think that’s important in today’s NBA.  You have to be good at team building and the only teams he knows how to build are ones with his “own guys”.  He surrounds himself with guys he knows are loyal.  And as aside I actually don’t think he’s an a**hole, rather I see a lot of conflict avoidance behaviors in him.  I think that’s partially because he wants to be perceived as a good guy.  His personality does not match his ability.  Leaders have that quiet confidence and while he might have that on the court his ability to be a leader offcourt is terrible.  He’s not a natural born leader. He’s an average personality that found itself

in the body of an athletic freak and he doesn’t know how to handle it.  

 

 

Edited by StifleTower2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, StifleTower2 said:

I never made that argument regarding Jordan because the bulls DID create a superteam.  Almost every dynasty we remember whether it be the Showtime Lakers, Celtics, BadBoys were “super teams” so I would never make that argument.  What I don’t like about LeBron is that he seems UNABLE to form a super team that sticks together mostly because players don’t like playing with him.  The Heat were an interesting team but they lost to the Mavs in 11 and broke up quickly .  It’s not entirely LeBrons fault because Wade is old and Bosh isn’t even in the league anymore.  But he couldn’t keep the Cavs team together because Irving doesn’t like him and I’m pretty sure he treated Love like s---.  I thought it was absolutely disgusting the way Love and Bosh were treated by him and they were both superstars on their former teams, sacrificed to play with LeBron, they were the ones who had to change for him, then were criticized for not fitting in lol.  Idk suppose I’m ina relationship with a woman and also believe in polyamory so we invite a third.  Then me and the first girl treat the third like s---, making no effort to make them comfortable, instead demanding they change then criticize her for not changing enough.  Love and Bosh are that third girl. For all the credit LeBron gets for being a good teammate on the court I just don’t think he knows how to deal with other human beings off the court.  Now Curry by contrast, he can get along with anyone.  I’m not going to call LeBron an a**hole because we don’t know what goes on in the locker room.  But my feeling he is a bit of a Diva because people have been telling him he is great his entire life.   As such I don’t think he’s developed the interpersonal skills necessary to be a champion and I think that’s important in today’s NBA.  You have to be good at team building and the only teams he knows how to build are ones with his “own guys”.  He surrounds himself with guys he knows are loyal.  And as aside I actually don’t think he’s an a**hole, rather I see a lot of conflict avoidance behaviors in him.  I think that’s partially because he wants to be perceived as a good guy.  His personality does not match his ability.  Leaders have that quiet confidence and while he might have that on the court his ability to be a leader offcourt is terrible.  He’s not a natural born leader. He’s an average personality that found itself

in the body of an athletic freak and he doesn’t know how to handle it.  

 

 

 

I didn't mean to imply you had made both arguments; just that I have seen both.

 

You described why the Miami super team fell apart and it had nothing to do with disgruntled teammates of Lebron.  In the case of Cleveland (round 2 for LBJ) the reason that "super team" broke up is Irving leaving, so I think your argument is reduced to one example. By the way, Kyrie Irving played part of one season for Boston and he is already talking about leaving what should be one of the better teams in the east for years (https://www.celticsblog.com/2018/7/6/17539756/boston-celtics-are-confident-that-kyrie-irving-will-re-sign-next-offseason-jimmy-butler). I don't know what could keep that guy put, but obviously he likes change.

 

Anyway, I don't share your sentiment about LBJ's ability as a teammate or leader.  Are you basing most of these conclusions about Love based on twitter and instagram posts? I will concede he is a bit of a diva because he hasn't lived the life of a normal person since being 14 years old, but his ability to lead by example is clear to me (the same way Curry leads; through hard work and dedication). The difference is Curry isn't tasked with building his own teams. After the decision, LBJ brought the burden of both playing and GM'ing upon himself, and likely that was a mistake. My guess is he takes a step back with that stuff in LA.  Getting wayyyy off topic lol

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, jay14bay said:

 

I didn't mean to imply you had made both arguments; just that I have seen both.

 

You described why the Miami super team fell apart and it had nothing to do with disgruntled teammates of Lebron.  In the case of Cleveland (round 2 for LBJ) the reason that "super team" broke up is Irving leaving, so I think your argument is reduced to one example. By the way, Kyrie Irving played part of one season for Boston and he is already talking about leaving what should be one of the better teams in the east for years (https://www.celticsblog.com/2018/7/6/17539756/boston-celtics-are-confident-that-kyrie-irving-will-re-sign-next-offseason-jimmy-butler). I don't know what could keep that guy put, but obviously he likes change.

 

Anyway, I don't share your sentiment about LBJ's ability as a teammate or leader.  Are you basing most of these conclusions about Love based on twitter and instagram posts? I will concede he is a bit of a diva because he hasn't lived the life of a normal person since being 14 years old, but his ability to lead by example is clear to me (the same way Curry leads; through hard work and dedication). The difference is Curry isn't tasked with building his own teams. After the decision, LBJ brought the burden of both playing and GM'ing upon himself, and likely that was a mistake. My guess is he takes a step back with that stuff in LA.  Getting wayyyy off topic lol

 

 

I think it’s on topic.  Bear in mind that I don’t “blame” LeBron for it all, rather I think he’s just a victim of circumstance.  It’s not his fault he’s so athletically gifted.  He has the weight of the world on his shoulders and I don’t think he’s up to the task.  That doesn’t make him a bad person as I genuinely think he tries to be a good guy.  

 

Curry on the other hand should go down as being on the most emotionally sophisticated players to ever play the game. He displays the epitome of leadership: resilience, leadership by example, humility, determination, getting along well with others, never criticizing others in public, positivity etc.  I really think  his leadership and emotional IQ is underrated. In part this might be because of his father’s tutelage.

 

i know this isn’t a Curry vs LeBron thread I’m just using Curry as a counter example.  I think there are a dozen better leaders in the NBA than LeBron.  He might be the most physically gifted player ever but his emotional IQ is low in my opinion.  As your physical talent is somewhat innate and you can develop emotional IQ through study and practice I’m not really a fan of LeBron.  

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When Lebron came into the league everyone had already deemed him as the next Jordan meaning his destiny was to win championships. Possibly more than Jordan. Clearly, that might not happen, but you can’t sit here and say he didn’t try his hardest too try and win. Curry on the other hand came into the league with no pressure and was written off as a bust after the two ankle surgeries. Of course he has that demeanor because he never had pressure to win or prove himself.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

When Lebron came into the league everyone had already deemed him as the next Jordan meaning his destiny was to win championships. Possibly more than Jordan. Clearly, that might not happen, but you can’t sit here and say he didn’t try his hardest too try and win. Curry on the other hand came into the league with no pressure and was written off as a bust after the two ankle surgeries. Of course he has that demeanor because he never had pressure to win or prove himself.

 I agree. I’m not saying that it’s fair that LeBron was forced to carry the weight of the world as a 18 year old.  But it’s also not really fair to the rest of us that he absolutely binked the genetic lottery.  I’m not a huge LeBron hater as I think he’s a victim of circumstance but I’m just saying he’s not my favorite.  We are all products of our genetics and environment, I am simply stating I’m not in love with him.  I don’t think he developed emotionally as one might hope. 

Edited by StifleTower2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LBJ experienced pressure, fame and expectations like nobody in sports before him. And the success he achieved is not just due to athletic ability, it's an entire package that also includes elite basketball IQ, focus, preparation, managing image, business decisions, career strategy, etc etc. He lived up to the hype and more, so to say that he isn't advanced emotionally isn't fair, IMO.

 

I will concede that he probably isn't the greatest leader of a sports team I have ever seen, due to some of the passive aggressive issues you mentioned, but I also don't think he is a poor leader.

 

I agree with what you say about Curry though.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The more I think about it the more I believe LeBron jumped the shark with this most recent move.

 

Can't keep bouncing around from team to team, forming super team after super team and turnover the roster -- sometimes more than once -- on your new team.

 

Too much instability. Players don't want to be a part of it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

The more I think about it the more I believe LeBron jumped the shark with this most recent move.

 

Can't keep bouncing around from team to team, forming super team after super team and turnover the roster -- sometimes more than once -- on your new team.

 

Too much instability. Players don't want to be a part of it.

 

It's his 4th team (3rd franchise) in 15 seasons, lol

 

1gmtfs.jpg

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kyrie essentially said on Simmons podcast (couple weeks ago?) that he left because the spotlight/pressure wasn’t his thing. He wanted to play ball and not deal w all the chaos that follows Bron. Rodney Hood said the exact same thing after the playoffs. Then the media and haters spun that to “players don’t wanna play w LeBron cause he’s a bad teammate.”  Bron can only control the circus to an extent. Some can handle it (see Kevin Love), while others can’t. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, jay14bay said:

 

It's his 4th team (3rd franchise) in 15 seasons, lol

 

 

He's not a journeyman player. He's got to be held to a higher standard.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/3/2018 at 7:29 PM, Kaboom said:

Assuming Brook Lopez takes the pay cut he said he would to re-sign with LAL, McGee isn't starting.  

I guess McGee is starting now :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Gile Pile said:

I guess McGee is starting now :D

Im drafting zubac with my last pick in all my leagues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MugsyBogues said:

Kyrie essentially said on Simmons podcast (couple weeks ago?) that he left because the spotlight/pressure wasn’t his thing. He wanted to play ball and not deal w all the chaos that follows Bron. Rodney Hood said the exact same thing after the playoffs. Then the media and haters spun that to “players don’t wanna play w LeBron cause he’s a bad teammate.”  Bron can only control the circus to an extent. Some can handle it (see Kevin Love), while others can’t. 

 

Here's some good perspective on Lebron's 2nd run with Cleveland from 3 beat writers..... You can also access the nearly 3 hours of their sit down about Lebron.  Kyrie never wanted Lebron around and resented his presence and his nearly iron fisted influence.  In some ways, it's ironic that Kyrie's trade demand and eventual grant was generally part of the final straw.  Although some of the writers thought Lebron would always move on..... Never was long for Cleveland to finish his career.  

 

https://waitingfornextyear.com/2018/07/cavs-roundtable-beat-writers-92-3-the-fan/

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What are the odds Lebron plays some C? Are the Lakers really relying on McGee and Zubac for the majority of the minutes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

What are the odds Lebron plays some C? Are the Lakers really relying on McGee and Zubac for the majority of the minutes?

On what end of the floor?  He basically plays point on offense, although he may not with Ball.  I don't think he has any experience playing center on defense so I don't think so.  The original Shaqtin a fool is going to go for 20/10.  He is a champion after all.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/3/2018 at 7:29 PM, Kaboom said:

Assuming Brook Lopez takes the pay cut he said he would to re-sign with LAL, McGee isn't starting.  

 

1 hour ago, Gile Pile said:

I guess McGee is starting now :D

Ha, yeah I wrongfully assumed the Lakers wanted Lopez back too. Turns out they didn't even make him an offer.  

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.