Sign in to follow this  
ToO_BaD

Daniel Poncedeleon 2018 Outlook

Posted (edited)

Didn't see a thread. Getting called up by the Cardinals.  I am not a big follower of minor leaguers, but saw the story that he is being called up from Triple-A Memphis.  The story was/is particularly interesting because a little over a year ago he was struck in the head by a line drive.  Suffered a skull fracture and had to have emergency craniotomy to relieve pressure on his brain.  Pretty crazy that he made it back to a mound period, let alone the big show.   Currently 5-2 (12 appearances, 11 starts) with a PCL leading 2.41 ERA.  71 Ks in 59.2 IP.  Again. don't know anything about him outside of what I have written here, so maybe those who follow prospects more can shed light on his  stuff, and if this season is just a flash in the pan or not.  But he will instantly have one of the best last names in the league.  What are we to make of this call-up?

Edited by ToO_BaD

1 minute ago, BleedRedsRed said:

Well, he should undoubtedly dominate all the Dominicans and Puerto Ricans.

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

I'm not sure how much fantasy impact he's going to have, but in terms of real-life stuff, this is a very cool, feel-good moment to see him make it after that scary injury last year.

Plus as said already, he's got a 80 grade name.

• Like 1

Wow his last name actually has no spaces. That is the weirdest thing. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, BleedRedsRed said:

Well, he should undoubtedly dominate all the Dominicans and Puerto Ricans.

Image result for haha gif

What a great name, btw...and an even better story. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, lbjames6 said:

Wow his last name actually has no spaces. That is the weirdest thing. 

He was in too much of a hurry to re-find the Fountain of Youth he didn't have time for the spaces this time around.

4 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

He was in too much of a hurry to re-find the Fountain of Youth he didn't have time for the spaces this time around.

Source?

• Haha 1

Getting first start tomorrow.  @cin. Pretty good milb numbers

1 hour ago, johnnyboy8102 said:

What’s his floor & ceiling? Anyone have any intel on this kid? 

His floor is laying a giant turd on the mound tomorrow in what is a horrible matchup on paper (pitching in Great American Ballpark), and his ceiling is striking out a lot of Reds hitters since they have nothing after Winker in the lineup.

In all seriousness, I'm kind of wondering the same.  I doubt I'm going to pick him up and stream him, but he's interesting at least.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

His floor is laying a giant turd on the mound tomorrow in what is a horrible matchup on paper (pitching in Great American Ballpark), and his ceiling is striking out a lot of Reds hitters since they have nothing after Winker in the lineup.

In all seriousness, I'm kind of wondering the same.  I doubt I'm going to pick him up and stream him, but he's interesting at least.

Uh, wut? 

Votto, Suarez, Gennett, Peraza? The lineup is a lot better than they get credit for IMO. Those are 4 guys who hits .284-.320 and two are slugging over .500... 

I definitely wouldn't be starting the guy except for extinuating circumstances, and if you're in a league where those exist, you know enough to make your own call anyway. 

He's been fairly pedestrian in the minors. Not had a k/9 over 8 for a couple of years, BB/9 of 3.5/4 is about the highest you wanna see for a starter. K rate this year is over 10 per 9, but bb rate is nearly 5 per 9. Roster if you have the space but don't play, IMO. 

20 minutes ago, sngehl01 said:

Uh, wut? 

Votto, Suarez, Gennett, Peraza? The lineup is a lot better than they get credit for IMO. Those are 4 guys who hits .284-.320 and two are slugging over .500... 

I definitely wouldn't be starting the guy except for extinuating circumstances, and if you're in a league where those exist, you know enough to make your own call anyway. 

He's been fairly pedestrian in the minors. Not had a k/9 over 8 for a couple of years, BB/9 of 3.5/4 is about the highest you wanna see for a starter. K rate this year is over 10 per 9, but bb rate is nearly 5 per 9. Roster if you have the space but don't play, IMO. 

I THINK (although I am not 100% sure) he meant after Winker as in their batting order.  Winker generally hits 5th after the 4 you mentioned.  But I could be wrong - though I don't think someone who uses the forums as often as he does would forget someone like Votto or Suarez, or the season that Gennett is having lol.

• Like 1

I give him a little bit of a bump today with Scooter sitting. If he can limit the damage from Peraza, Votto and Suarez there’s a good chance he can have a nice outing. 

3 hours ago, ToO_BaD said:

I THINK (although I am not 100% sure) he meant after Winker as in their batting order.  Winker generally hits 5th after the 4 you mentioned.  But I could be wrong - though I don't think someone who uses the forums as often as he does would forget someone like Votto or Suarez, or the season that Gennett is having lol.

Yeah I think he meant once you get thru Votto, Gennett, Suarez, Peraza and Winker there are a bunch of K machines in the back half of the lineup.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sngehl01 said:

Uh, wut? 

You are missing what I said.  You just listed every player other than Winker that I said were good in their lineup.  I said after Winker, as in 6-9 (minus counting the pitcher) is a borderline wasteland.  Although I guess I have to give Duvall a little credit for somehow driving in 60 runs with a .203 average.

I was just making a point that their upper half of their lineup is great, but with little else, which means he actually would have a shot at a decent debut even though it's still not an ideal setting.  Regardless, I'm not picking him up, but I'm still interested to see how he does.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

You are missing what I said.  You just listed every player other than Winker that I said were good in their lineup.  I said after Winker, as in 6-9 (minus counting the pitcher) is a borderline wasteland.  Although I guess I have to give Duvall a little credit for somehow driving in 60 runs with a .203 average.

I was just making a point that their upper half of their lineup is great, but with little else, which means he actually would have a shot at a decent debut even though it's still not an ideal setting.  Regardless, I'm not picking him up, but I'm still interested to see how he does.

There really aren't very many NL teams that have imposing hitters in the bottom third.

• Like 1

[Use the game day thread for in-game commentary.]

Well, the kid threw 7 no-hit innings at a visiting club's hitter-friendly stadium.  I like what I've seen so far.  I'd leave him up at this point.  The Cardinals playoff chances are all but over.  Let these AAA kids come up and show that they deserve a shot.  

19 minutes ago, 96GOAT said:

Well, the kid threw 7 no-hit innings at a visiting club's hitter-friendly stadium.  I like what I've seen so far.  I'd leave him up at this point.  The Cardinals playoff chances are all but over.  Let these AAA kids come up and show that they deserve a shot.  

They sent him back down, correct?

5 minutes ago, ToO_BaD said:

They sent him back down, correct?

yup

1 minute ago, cdd10 said:

yup

Man what a bummer.  Real confidence booster.

• Like 1

I'll monitor but not adding anywhere. 5+ FIP, hasn't looked dominant in his limited MLB action so far.