Coprolagnia

Read Em and Weep, Boys

Just finished my $20 10 Team Yahoo Pro League. They changed the format by turning one of the WR slots into a WR/RB/TE, making RBs even more valuable. I mentioned in another thread I was going in fairly blind and was/is still true.

I had 10th pick (sucked)

QB: A. Rodgers (Rd. 4), M. Ryan (Rd. 14)

WR: M. Jones (Rd. 5),  D. Funchess (Rd. 8),  D. Parker (Rd. 9),  R. Cobb (Rd. 11)

RB: M. Gordon (Rd. 1), K. Hunt (Rd. 2), A. Collins (Rd. 3), J. Ajayi (Rd. 6), M. Lynch (Rd. 7), D. Booker (Rd. 12)

TE: K. Rudolph (Rd. 10)

K: R. Gould (Rd. 15)

DEF: BAL (Rd. 13)

I hated picking last, and feel so/so about my team. Let me know what you think.

lol

Yeah, they changed the format to add a flex instead of a third WR--but they also went to half-PPR scoring, so RBs didn't gain any appreciable advantage over flexing a WR there.

And in that respect, your WRs are terrible.  Marvin Jones, ok, but as your #1 WR in a 10-team league?  Backed up by Funchess, Parker and Cobb?  Dude, you are WAY behind the field at WR, I can tell you now.

You definitely drafted the RBs to flex one, though.  Ajayi in the 6th was a steal, but you can still only start 3 of these guys, so you probably would have been better off with some WRs like Pierre Garcon or Julian Edelman by the 7th round at least.  As long as you HAVE Lynch, though, I would drop Booker and pick up Doug Martin (assuming he wasn't drafted) and you'll be guaranteed the Raiders' ground game--for trade leverage if nothing else, should one of them emerge.  I guess the most ideal thing would have been if you knew you could get Ajayi in the 6th (his 10-team PPR ADP is 5.01), you could have passed on Alex Collins in the third (his ADP is 4.10) and had a WR like Mike Evans, Tyreek Hill, or Adam Thielen--but of course you couldn't have known that.

For that matter, what could you have had in the 4th instead of Rodgers, since you have almost the same production in Ryan in the 14th round--T.Y. Hilton?  Larry Fitzgerald?  Heck, if you're springing for a QB that early you might as well go for the gold with Deshaun Watson, when you can get a fallback like Ryan late.

Rudolph holds his own at TE, but doesn't promise anything special; mighta coulda turned that Rodgers pick in the 4th into Ertz.  Baltimore should be a solid D.

I guess overall, it's not a terrible effort, if you were truly as unprepared as you represent yourself to be.  You made a couple of errors and you got a couple of bargains, but if you stay on top of things in managed leagues, there's always a chance to compete for the title.

Posted (edited)

Didn't know it was a .5 ppr. I drafted back to back so Collins in the 3rd or 4th is the same thing. Every time I was going to draft a WR the player I wanted got picked so I just drafted elsewhere.  I make a lot of trade offers going into the season to try to even out my strengths and weaknesses. I'm going to see what WR I can get from Rodgers and Gordon/Hunt, so I'm not too worried about my team yet.

Edited by Coprolagnia

34 minutes ago, Coprolagnia said:

Didn't know it was a .5 ppr. I drafted back to back so Collins in the 3rd or 4th is the same thing. Every time I was going to draft a WR the player I wanted got picked so I just drafted elsewhere.  I make a lot of trade offers going into the season to try to even out my strengths and weaknesses. I'm going to see what WR I can get from Rodgers and Gordon/Hunt, so I'm not too worried about my team yet.

Good luck.  My experience with trading in Yahoo Pro Leagues has not been particularly encouraging--nobody wants to trade anything unless it's an absolute fleece job in their favor--but you do have the depth at RB to allow for some degree of overcompensation in order to balance your starters.

I think you'll be fine provided you can trade some RB depth to upgrade WR. Besides, FF is won in free-agency. Believe it or not, I grabbed Kamara in FA last season in the first couple weeks... You should be able to find a gem in weeks 1-3, just have to watch the stats/snaps like a hawk.