predator_05

Ben Roethlisberger 2018 Outlook

I've owned Ben (for better and for worse) for probably the last 6-7 years. The value is literally there every single year. 

On years he doesn't get injured he's generally pretty solid. 

37 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

I've owned Ben (for better and for worse) for probably the last 6-7 years. The value is literally there every single year. 

BIGBENTONGUE.gif

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Last year was literally the second in the past decade where he didn't get hurt. The odds of him staying healthy this season aren't a sure thing.

9 hours ago, predator_05 said:

Welcome to the annual Big ben thread.

His full name is Ben Roethisberger - although in fantasy football circles, he is more commonly acknowledged as, Ben "The guy who throws a million passes to WR1 Antonio brown" Roethlisberger.

For the uninitiated, here's a picture of what big Ben currently looks like:

kveen1338s.jpg

As you can see, he's old and past his prime, but he still looks pretty slim and stands proudly, looking down on all those inferior quarterbacks. So what can we expect from Big ben in 2018?

Well, after threatening the public with retirement, Big Ben, surprise surprise!!! is back for yet another NFL season.

Believe it or not, big Ben is extremely motivated. The steelerz are stuck in what's commonly referred to as, the "superbowl window"; a short, but sweet period of greatness when a team deludes itself into thinking it can actually win a Superbowl while ignoring it's swiss cheese defense.

Superbowl prospects may float in the clouds, but big Ben's fantasy football prospects are firmly planted on the ground. Our hero returns to an offense featuring an illegally good WR1 in Antonio brown, and an emerging social media star and part-time book publisher Juju Smith & Schuster. The steelerz have some other receivers too, but the darkness created by Antonio Brown's shadow makes it hard for me to read their names.

Meanwhile, big Ben's sidekick, Leveon Bellcow Bell - the Antonio brown of RBs - continues to hold out for a $20 million dollar contract that he'll never, ever get, ...but given his desire to constantly flaunt his abs on instagram, we are assured that he'll be in peak physical condition come-September.

In 2017, big Ben began the season by kick-starting the Jacksonville jaguars' dynasty; throwing 10 interceptions to their now-famous defense. Following this disaster of a game, big Ben shrewdly implemented a strategy called "throw it to Antonio Brown, not the other's team defense, you fat disgusting f***". The strategy paid rich rewards, as big Ben had an extremely productive 2nd half of the season, finishing QB8 in standard leagues.

big Ben's exceptional run of success almost made fantasy owners, and steeler fans alike, forget that he lost a 2nd straight time to the Jacksonville jaguars in the playoffs. Oh Ben, you're full of surprises.

What does the future hold? Well, if you're waiting on a QB, you could do worse. If you like seeing a QB throw 4 touchdowns in back to back games, you're in luck. If you like QBs that produce 4000 yards with 30 inconsistently distributed touchdowns, big Ben is definitely your guy.

If you're still confused over whether Jameis winston or Marcus Mariota will ever become start-able QB1s -*psssst...they won't!* - big Ben is a nice fall-back option - providing the same amount of excitement and bone-headed plays at a lower, more reasonable ADP.

Good luck to you all, and God bless America.

If I could give this 2 likes, I would. 

Bravo.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, joshua18 said:

Last year was literally the second in the past decade where he didn't get hurt. The odds of him staying healthy this season aren't a sure thing.

I don't disagree. 

Generally just gotta hope he doesn't miss much time. 

I used to only roster 1 QB cause I was in love with the intrigue of the waiver wire and always having 2 or 3 expendable guys, but now I often roster 2 "value pick" QBs. 

Ben frequently is one of them. And I've found over the years of owning him on a per game basis he's generally really solid, I rarely spend time extrapolating stats and doing comparisons, but I'd bet on a per game basis he's probably been a top 5-8 QB over the last 5-6 years. 

The 2nd value pick QB is crucial in owning Ben though. You gotta have that guy ready to go in 3 different Ben ownership times:

1) Steelers BYE week

2) Ben injury games

3) @Ravens 

1 minute ago, oliminator123 said:

Supposedly went down in practice today for a decent amount of time. 

Possible concussion is being reported

If some scrub hit him, cut him. How the heck do you get your QB concussed in practice??

Extremely undervalued this season.  This is possibly the best offense he's had during his career.  Last year he wasn't even too bad on the road.

• Like 3

Just now, RMJ_12 said:

Extremely undervalued this season.  This is possibly the best offense he's had during his career.  Last year he wasn't even too bad on the road.

Yes he was. Just most of their road games came in the first half of the season (when he supposedly "didn't have it anymore" midseason). Not a shock he was great down the stretch when PIT had most of their home games. 

16 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

Yes he was. Just most of their road games came in the first half of the season (when he supposedly "didn't have it anymore" midseason). Not a shock he was great down the stretch when PIT had most of their home games. 

17.6 ppg on the road(6 pt passing td's)

Average, not bad.

23 minutes ago, RMJ_12 said:

17.6 ppg on the road(6 pt passing td's)

Average, not bad.

6 pt TD leagues raise Ben's floor, since he gives you nothing as a rusher and they don't give Bell the ball inside the 5. 

Big Ben since 2014 has been a top-3 QB at home and barely a top-20 QB on the road. 

1 hour ago, joshua18 said:

6 pt TD leagues raise Ben's floor, since he gives you nothing as a rusher and they don't give Bell the ball inside the 5. 

Big Ben since 2014 has been a top-3 QB at home and barely a top-20 QB on the road. 

I don't believe in 4 pt TD leagues.  I'm talking about the Ben that has Brown, Bell, JuJu, Washington, and McDonald.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RMJ_12 said:

I don't believe in 4 pt TD leagues.  I'm talking about the Ben that has Brown, Bell, JuJu, Washington, and McDonald.

And that Ben will still be a low-end QB2 on the road. 

1 hour ago, RMJ_12 said:

Hes definitely a sleeper and has proven that he can perform. The only problem are those odd 15-16 point games he will put up

3 hours ago, joshua18 said:

@Ravens games are almost always unstartable games for me unless my other QB on BYE or something.

He still produces on the road alright otherwise though. Generally one game per season he'll go 0 TD's and like 4 picks though against a tough D. That's always a lost week when that happens. Pretty sure Jags whipped his a** last year. 

1 hour ago, BigBenTheSteelerMan said:

The only problem are those odd 15-16 point games he will put up

Just like every other quarterback.  At least with Ben you have a good guess as to when those games are coming.

15 minutes ago, RMJ_12 said:

Just like every other quarterback.  At least with Ben you have a good guess as to when those games are coming.

That IMO is the biggest advantage of rostering him -- knowing that you can rely on starting him at home and benching him on the road.

7 hours ago, BigBenTheSteelerMan said:

Then you have to roster two qbs though 

Right. Which is why Big Ben is DND for me inside the first 13 rounds of a 12-team 1QB PPR league.

I like him as a late target. He will give you elite type production half the time and you can pair him with a steady hand like Stafford or Rivers. If you want more upside Ryan. Combine them with Ben's home production and you'll get good, mid QB1 numbers. 

As noted, he does force you to roster two QBs but I tend to do that anyway, unless I have one of the elite guys, since you can play match ups. I'd rather spend a 12th round pick on a second QB I'll use for a good chunk of the season over a WR I'll likely cut in September.

Took him as my first QB in my draft last night (round 12). Wasn't my first option, but I'm good with it. He's as steady as they come. Added Stafford as insurance.