predator_05

Ben Roethlisberger 2018 Outlook

16 minutes ago, jtbgator said:

Took him as my first QB in my draft last night (round 12). Wasn't my first option, but I'm good with it. He's as steady as they come. Added Stafford as insurance. 

Are you sure it's not the other way around?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Novaray said:

Are you sure it's not the other way around?

haha, maybe. Got Ben in round 12, Stafford in 15. Also have Marvin Jones, so I like the stack.

19 minutes ago, The Answer said:

Are people starting him on the road in Cleveland to start the year?

I was going to but having 2nd thoughts

45 minutes ago, The Answer said:

Why not? against his old OC and bell will probably not be in top game shape but AB and juju will be raring to go. Smells like the big ben show will have a good debut

Pittsburgh going no-huddle more would be a nice uptick fantasy-wise for Big Ben. 

The Steelers have a new offensive coordinator in Randy Fichtner, but Ben Roethlisberger will call most of his own plays. The team’s starting quarterback said Wednesday that the plan is for the Steelers to run more no-huddle, something Roethlisberger long has lobbied coaches for.

“For sure,” Rothlisberger said Wednesday, via Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, “which makes me study more, meet with Randy more, doing all that stuff, even more than in the past, which is fine. I always did a lot of stuff but if they’re going to put that trust in me then I have to then reward them with the knowledge that I’m going to do the right thing, call the right plays.”

5 hours ago, The Answer said:

One of the only times you can feel comfortable starting him on the road.

So Ben is in supposedly much better shape than years past, calling more plays himself, and planning more no-huddle. AB, Juju, Lev, as his top 3 targets with a sneaky McDonald at TE & rookie Washington looks really good as the 3rd WR. His offensive line is rock-solid, too. Health permitting I can’t see him ending up with less than 4500 & 30 ?

32 minutes ago, lvsaint429 said:

So Ben is in supposedly much better shape than years past, calling more plays himself, and planning more no-huddle. AB, Juju, Lev, as his top 3 targets with a sneaky McDonald at TE & rookie Washington looks really good as the 3rd WR. His offensive line is rock-solid, too. Health permitting I can’t see him ending up with less than 4500 & 30 ?

Which should mean the offense moves faster and runs more plays  to increase his fantasy production

16 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Which should mean the offense moves faster and runs more plays  to increase his fantasy production

YUUUUUUUUP!

On 9/2/2018 at 7:34 PM, dashoe said:

Why not? against his old OC and bell will probably not be in top game shape but AB and juju will be raring to go. Smells like the big ben show will have a good debut

There has been some concern about the weather in Cleveland

First time owner, long time fan here.

Love the no-huddle, love the no-Haley, love that Ben looks like he quit drinking. Love the addition of James Washington and the temporary subtraction of Le'veon Bell. I think all of these things are positives for his fantasy value and I can't see any negatives. And their defense is lackluster. Another +.  I think Ben will be overall QB1.

For this week. I don't care about the home/road splits this year. I'm not (that) concerned about the Browns passrush. AFAIK their secondary isn't exceptional. I think the Browns can actually score points now and make the Steelers score points for 4 quarters.

More on the weather. And i say this fully aware that weather is a generally overrated fantasy factor:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/fantasy-football-venue-weather-adjustments-week-1-2018

SUNDAY, 1 P.M. ET

Pittsburgh Steelers at Cleveland Browns

The AFC North has a monopoly on weather concerns in Week 1, and I find the Steelers and Browns game fascinating for several reasons. The forecast calls for intermittent rain and moderate-to-heavy winds in Cleveland during game time, which should hurt the passing attacks of both teams. However, Tyrod Taylor (+0.4 PPR adjustment) enjoys an overall plus venue-and-weather matchup because he benefits from being home and because he can rack up fantasy points with his legs. Taylor is seventh among quarterbacks for me this week, and that isn’t totally an anomaly. I think the excitement over Baker Mayfield has distracted from the reality that Taylor should enjoy a massive upgrade in skill talent moving from the Bills to the Browns. While he is the starter, he’ll be an effective fantasy player.

If the Browns do commit more heavily to the run because of the weather, look for Carlos Hyde (+0.1) and Nick Chubb (+0.3) to profit more than Duke Johnson (-1.0). Still, none are in my top-35 at the position this week in PPR formats.

The Steelers should have a much tougher test being on the road and considering that Ben Roethlisberger (-4.2) has shown unparalleled home/road splits. He actually suffers the biggest loss of projected fantasy points by any player at any position this week, which drops him from 12th in my true-talent rankings to 29th once you account for venue, weather, and the Browns defense, which looks to be much improved in particular in the front-seven. Don’t start him this week.

The losses I project for Roethlisberger trickle down to his receivers, although for Antonio Brown (-3.0), that will never be enough to induce a fantasy decision. Even with his projected loss of 3.0 points, Julio Jones is the only wide receiver who jumps Brown for the top spot in my weekly PPR rankings. Because of his lesser volume, JuJu Smith-Schuster (-1.7) suffers a smaller decline in his projected fantasy production. However, his loss is much more significant. He falls from 35th to 44th among wide receivers and 74th to 94th among all flex considerations in my rankings. He’s likely a bench this week in shallower formats.

Edited by Cotton Jones

http://www.cleveland19.com/story/39047161/weather-expected-to-be-terrible-for-browns-game-but-what-would-it-take-to-cancel-it

The remnants of tropical storm Gordon are on a collision for the Cleveland Browns home opener on Sunday against the Pittsburgh Steelers

But according to Cleveland Meteorologist Jeff Tanchak the system is heading to Cleveland to catch the game. 

"The latest data I’m seeing this morning is calling for widespread five plus inches of rain, with locally seven plus inches," according to Tanchak. "The heavy rain will start late Saturday night.  So that means all day Sunday and Sunday night we are looking at continuous heavy rain. Winds will be gusting up to 40 mph at times."

As if the forecast wasn't daunting enough, what Tanchal sees is a first for even him. 

"I have not seen a worse weather forecast for a Browns game in the almost 16 years I have been here and that includes snow events.  I have no idea how they will be able to play football or how people will be able to sit in that stadium and watch a game," Tanchak said. 

Cleveland 19 has contacted the Browns front office and they are aware of the situation. 

"Along with NFL headquarters, we closely monitor weather patterns each week to ensure game conditions are safe for the team and fans. Any decision impacting the game’s start or continuation is ultimately made by the league office. The game is on schedule for 1 p.m.," according to a team spokesman. 

Looking into NFL policy it does appear canceling the game could be a possibility. 

Rule 17 Emergencies, Unfair Acts:

Article 4 The NFL affirms the position that in most circumstances all regular-season and postseason games should be played to their conclusion. If, in the opinion of appropriate League authorities, it is impossible to begin or continue a game due to an emergency, or a game is deemed to be imminently threatened by any such emergency (e.g., severely inclement weather, lightning, flooding, power failure)

The question that will have to be looked at by the league is whether or not five to seven inches of rain is considered "severely inclement weather."

We've seen many games over the years played in rain, multiple inches of snow and brutally cold temperatures so the definition of "severely inclement weather" must be pretty extreme. 

The field is designed with a drainage system that can handle large amounts of rain but will it be able to handle Gordon will be tested and that will also be a consideration for player safety. 

We have seen NFL games postponed before. In 2010 the Philadelphia Eagles vs. Minnesota Vikings game was postponed until Tuesday. 

• Like 2

Glad I'm going with Stafford over Ben! No brainier. Ugly game for PIT on Sunday I think. Weather, revitalized Browns team (they actually might be decent this year), road game, Bell distraction.

On 9/3/2018 at 12:43 AM, joshua18 said:

One of the only times you can feel comfortable starting him on the road.

I take this back, given the projected wind forecast.

Rain is one thing, but combined with high winds puts Ben on the bench for me now. I love him for the whole season, but if this comes true on Sunday I can’t play him in those conditions 

Must bench, week 1 for all the obvious reasons.  Road, weather etc.

2 hours ago, wahl35 said:

http://www.cleveland19.com/story/39047161/weather-expected-to-be-terrible-for-browns-game-but-what-would-it-take-to-cancel-it

We have seen NFL games postponed before. In 2010 the Philadelphia Eagles vs. Minnesota Vikings game was postponed until Tuesday. 

I'm trying to remember how this was handled for fantasy purposes but can't.

The fantasy week extended until tuesday night? Does that seem right?

1 hour ago, Power-O said:

Its week 1 guys...stop overthinking...im playing him 

This isn’t analyzing WR/CB matchups or pass rush issues. If conditions are that poor for passing, it’s common sense to start a better option. You might wanna wait until Sunday to make that decision 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Power-O said:

Its week 1 guys...stop overthinking...im playing him 

This kind of wind is the only situation Ill get cute

2 hours ago, dakimbell said:

This kind of wind is the only situation Ill get cute

Its not being cute...it's being smart.

• Like 1

Damn, was hoping to play him tomorrow, but with this recent weather report, he's a must-sit.

i had to drop tyrod for dalton...very frustrated when i dropped him for tyrod but you guys are getting to me...i still may start his a** because the steelers are going to play and they will throw the dam ball no matter what

tonado, storm, hurricane, whatever, just means ben has to throw more balls to move the chains, they don't all have to go downfield. you bring AB in closer run him out of the slot a few time, short intermediate pases to juj-te's  dump off to rbs.  keeo throwing Ben!

First time owner and I've heard a lot of his road issues, which I admittedly haven't really followed up on myself.  I was on the fence about starting him but with the weather reports, I'm definitely sitting him in place of Luck.