SpecialFNK

Jonathan Loaisiga 2018 Outlook

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
Quote

Jonathan Loaisiga will be called up to start for the Yankees on Friday against the Rays.

 

Loaisiga has posted a strong 3.00 ERA, 1.13 WHIP, and 58/4 K/BB ratio in 45 innings this season between High-A Tampa and Double-A Trenton, but he's a little green to be trusted in standard mixed fantasy leagues. This will be the 23-year-old right-hander's MLB debut.

 

starting pitcher for the Yankees.

 

http://rotoprofessor.com/prospects/?p=2485

 

Quote

Imminent Impact? Could The Yankees’ Jonathan Loaisiga Get An Opportunity In The Majors?

 

by Eric Stashin (aka The Rotoprofessor)

 

With Masahiro Tanaka hitting the DL (and likely out for a few weeks), the Yankees have a significant void in their rotation.  There were already questions, being forced to deploy Domingo German (though he’s shown potential), so where will the Yankees turn from here?  They do have options in the minors, whether it’s those already on the 40-man roster and those who aren’t.

 

If Luis Cessa is ready to return from the DL he could be the logical choice, or the team could add Chance Adams, Justus Sheffield or Erik Swanson to the 40-man roster.  Adams and Sheffield are the bigger names, and the ones fantasy owners will want to see, but if the team wants to keep some level of flexibility they could opt to dig a little bit deeper.  Right-hander Jonathan Loaisiga, who was just recently promoted to Double-A, is already on the 40-man roster and could get the first shot at the spot.

Who is Loaisiga?  Could he make an instant impact?

 

The 23-year old has hit a bump recently, allowing 4 ER in two of his past three starts, but overall the results have been there between High-A and Double-A:

6-1, 3.00 ERA, 1.13 WHIP, 58 K, 4 BB

 

That strikeout-to-walk rate is going to catch your attention, especially entering Sunday with a 12.5% SwStr%.  Throw in a 1.29 GO/AO and it appears that he brings the total package that we look for…  However there are a few issues that can’t be ignored:

 

  1. Limited workload – Over his 10 starts he has thrown a total of 45.0 IP, never going longer than 5.0 IP. He only threw 32.2 IP total last season, again never going longer than 5.0 IP in an appearance, so while the Yankees are easing him back after Tommy John surgery, how many innings he can throw and the potential to really tax the bullpen looms large
  2.  
  3. Lack of upper level experience – His 25.0 IP at Double-A this season represents his only action above High-A
  4. Home run issues – While he appears to be inducing an ample amount of groundballs, he’s allowed 4 HR over 25.0 IP at Double-A and pitching in Yankee Stadium that could really loom large
  5.  
  6. He’s been hit relatively hard – While it hasn’t hampered the results, a 26.0% line drive rate at High-A and 25.0% at Double-A this season can’t be ignored
  7. Size – He’s listed at 5’11” and 165 lbs., so there are going to be further questions about his ability to stick in the rotation

Obviously the numbers are impressive but we can’t ignore the questions.  He pitched on Sunday, though a Monday off day could still allow him to be the option.  That said it would seem like a big leap of faith by New York, and putting a lot of pressure on a 23-year old who may simply not be ready.

 

 

minor league numbers..

 

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?ID=183252

 

 

low BB%/high K% through the minors, starting for the Yankees who should be good with run support.

Edited by SpecialFNK
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wasn’t available in Yahoo until 3 hours ago. I’ll be using my waiver. His numbers have been great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, hoops886 said:

Wasn’t available in Yahoo until 3 hours ago. I’ll be using my waiver. His numbers have been great.

 

Except he starts Friday and doesn't clear waivers until Saturday.  :angry:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, vthunder said:

 

Except he starts Friday and doesn't clear waivers until Saturday.  :angry:

 

Yahoo being Yahoo. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vthunder said:

 

Except he starts Friday and doesn't clear waivers until Saturday.  :angry:

 

46 minutes ago, hoops886 said:

 

Yahoo being Yahoo. 

 

Your commissioner can change the waiver settings. It's more on him than it is on Yahoo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Flyman75 said:

Your commissioner can change the waiver settings. It's more on him than it is on Yahoo. 

IMO, waivers are meant to give everyone a fair opportunity (i.e., time to realize their available) to acquire a player that is newly available, not to address yahoo's lack of player pool depth. i'm not faulting yahoo in this specific instance, loaisiga wasn't perceived at the beginning of the season as a starting rotation candidate, but here we are. all platforms should be equipped with some sort of ability to facilitate the request of player additions. this would allow for timely addition into the player pool instead of relying on a random occurrence to trigger yahoo personnel to make the addition on their own.

back on topic, i know next to nothing about loaisiga, but his limited workload, lack of experience , and MLB home park coupled with shown HR concerns have me less than excited in regular sized leagues. he could certainly surprise, but i'm keeping my expectations in check.

Edited by osb_tensor
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He won't pitch deep enough into games to log quality starts and he has a HR problem at Yankee Stadium. Pass

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/14/2018 at 10:07 AM, PPolanco said:

He won't pitch deep enough into games to log quality starts and he has a HR problem at Yankee Stadium. Pass

how do you know, he hasnt pitched yet lmao

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

His last name makes me think of this:

 

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

His last name makes me think of this:

 

 

holy s___ dude.  i was going to post this. but then i thought "naaaaa, no one would get it" LOL

 

on a serious note.  his Change is a PLUS pitch. fastball 95 changeup 87 with movement down and away from lefties.

 

color me intrigued 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looked great.  A lot of walks which was a problem, but the good thing is that wasn't an issue for him in the minors.  10 starts in the minors this year 45 IP only 4 walks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watching the game currently and I think this guy is a MUST grab in deep dynasty leagues. 95-98 on his fastball, his changeup is ELITE and has great movement. And his curveball is straight up nasty... Having some problems with finding the location on the fastball which is why he has a few walks, but he hasn't been wild, a lot of close calls. I completely get why he made the jump from AA he's ready and the Yankees knew it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

So this guy is really worth picking up?? 

 

Absolutely. This guy has phenomenal stuff. I'm picking him up in every league I can. 

Edited by thecomebackkid907
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

49 pitches through 3 innings - 3BB - 4 K - 0 H - but 2 DP.

 

Then he had line drive hits, but singles - got nervous, and basically Sanchez got him out of the inning by calming him down and with his pitch calls.

 

The 2nd time through the lineup wasn't as smooth.  He hit 98 and was still hitting 96 when he got pulled.  Also had 82 as his low change.  He looked decent, Tampa was terrible at reading his changeup. 

 

He's worthy of a pickup, but I'm going with Domingo over him this week for sure - but am watching CLOSELY to his next start - I didn't realize he threw that hard

Edited by jahweedum
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, jahweedum said:

49 pitches through 3 innings - 3BB - 4 K - 0 H - but 2 DP.

 

Then he had line drive hits, but singles - got nervous, and basically Sanchez got him out of the inning by calming him down and with his pitch calls.

 

The 2nd time through the lineup wasn't as smooth.  He hit 98 and was still hitting 96 when he got pulled.  Also had 82 as his low change.  He looked decent, Tampa was terrible at reading his changeup. 

 

He's worthy of a pickup, but I'm going with Domingo over him this week for sure - but am watching CLOSELY to his next start - I didn't realize he threw that hard

 

He's young, so that's a huge reason to be optimistic about his ceiling. And considering how shaky the rotation has been all year for them, he's gonna have opportunities. Honestly though when's the last time you saw a guy get called up and throw like that? His offspeed pitches are freakish. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, thecomebackkid907 said:

 

He's young, so that's a huge reason to be optimistic about his ceiling. And considering how shaky the rotation has been all year for them, he's gonna have opportunities. Honestly though when's the last time you saw a guy get called up and throw like that? His offspeed pitches are freakish. 

 

Don't get me wrong - I feel very much the same way.  I just think more experienced hitters aren't going to chase that breaking stuff as much as the Rays did - and 3 BBs while hitters are chasing is scary.  I'd LOVE for him to kill it - but I think it wise to temper expectations, based on what I saw, is all.  

 

Love his ceiling - but what's the floor THIS year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jahweedum said:

 

Don't get me wrong - I feel very much the same way.  I just think more experienced hitters aren't going to chase that breaking stuff as much as the Rays did - and 3 BBs while hitters are chasing is scary.  I'd LOVE for him to kill it - but I think it wise to temper expectations, based on what I saw, is all.  

 

Love his ceiling - but what's the floor THIS year?

 

I think his floor for 2018 can't be any worse than what Sonny Gray has done this year. So honestly the only problem he should worry about is playing well enough to earn a permanent spot in the rotation, he could get bumped down again when Tanaka returns. If he can continue to pitch with the stuff he did tonight, and if the Yankees keep him in the rotation, his ceiling in 2018 is a top 50 pitcher. But that's if. I'm stashing him in most of my leagues, he might be pitching against Seattle next week so I wouldn't be surprised to see him regress a little. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, thecomebackkid907 said:

 

I think his floor for 2018 can't be any worse than what Sonny Gray has done this year. So honestly the only problem he should worry about is playing well enough to earn a permanent spot in the rotation, he could get bumped down again when Tanaka returns. If he can continue to pitch with the stuff he did tonight, and if the Yankees keep him in the rotation, his ceiling in 2018 is a top 50 pitcher. But that's if. I'm stashing him in most of my leagues, he might be pitching against Seattle next week so I wouldn't be surprised to see him regress a little. 

Actually the biggest issue when discussing his ceiling and floor this year is the innings restriction he will undoubtedly be on. He had significantly injury plagued seasons in 2014 and 2015 and then only made 1 start in 2016 before needing TJS. He only logged 32 innings last year and after last night’s start he’s already thrown 50 innings this year. I don’t know what the Yankees’ plans are but I can bet they’re going to bring him along very cautiously with skipping starts, limiting him to 5 innings, shutting him down early, sending him down, and transitioning him to the bullpen all as possibilities in play here.

Edited by meh2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the rotation stays as is he will get Seattle at home. They roughed up Porcello last night right out of the gate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

“So there’s a lot to be excited about here. An elite breaking pitch, an above-average changeup, and a big fastball. We’ll have to wait a little bit longer to see if his walk rates in the minors were due to command or control, and how well hitters will see his straight fastball, and where he will settle in velocity-wise, but this is just the kind of popup pitcher that makes the world go around.

I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see him pass Domingo Germán, whose changeup and command may be worse than Loaisiga’s. At the very least, we’ll all be watching to see what this young man can do while Tanaka is out.”

per eno sarris^^.  After reading his piece on The Athletic I added for my worst pitcher immediately.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, meh2 said:

Actually the biggest issue when discussing his ceiling and floor this year is the innings restriction he will undoubtedly be on. He had significantly injury plagued seasons in 2014 and 2015 and then only made 1 start in 2016 before needing TJS. He only logged 32 innings last year and after last night’s start he’s already thrown 50 innings this year. I don’t know what the Yankees’ plans are but I can bet they’re going to bring him along very cautiously with skipping starts, limiting him to 5 innings, shutting him down early, sending him down, and transitioning him to the bullpen all as possibilities in play here.

If this is truly the case thanks, and I think I'll pass. There's an opportunity cost in filling a roster spot, hard to justify one for a guy who wont see much action.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tanaka is going to be out a month.  Loaisiga will likely be sent back down when Tanaka returns.


Severino

Tanaka

CC

Gray

German

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Lebanasty said:

If this is truly the case thanks, and I think I'll pass. There's an opportunity cost in filling a roster spot, hard to justify one for a guy who wont see much action.

 

I disagree.  When a talent like this comes around, you pick up first and figure it out later.  Unless your dropping a top tier guy to grab him, SP is mostly a crap shoot anyway.  You shouldn't assume worst case scenarios.  Dropping costs nothing later if he doesn't pan out.  But if he does, it could be a game changer.  Just my two cents

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now