NYR Fan 116894

Tyler Lockett 2018 Season Outlook

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/tyler-lockett-feeling-good-as-he-heads-into-critical-season-with-seahawks/

“I’d probably say about 75, 80 percent,” he said Thursday when asked to assess his health in 2017. “But it didn’t stop me from still going out there and doing my same job, the same role that I was given. Still was getting open against people. The thing is, it doesn’t matter how you feel when you go out there. If you go out there, it’s time to go. You can’t make excuses if you don’t get open. You can’t make excuses if you don’t catch the pass. If you’re out there, everybody expects you to do the same thing if you weren’t hurt.”

The good news as minicamp ended Thursday is that Lockett appears all the way back to pre-injury form, taking part in everything fully until being given the last two days off, his point having been made.

“It’s real positive, really positive,” coach Pete Carroll said Thursday. “You guys have watched him, and he’s just such a wonderful kid on your team, and there’s just been a spirit about him about wanting to compete and extra stuff and always at it, and then last year he couldn’t do that, he wasn’t able to. He was rehabbing and just barely getting on the practice field for the most part. And now he’s back freed up and ready to go again, so you see all that great spirit and the energy that he generates. It’s wonderful to see because he’s such a great kid. He’s really excited about getting back and digging in on returns as well as the receiver stuff. He and Russ (Russell Wilson), they really have a great understanding too, and he knows what we’re doing and all. So he’s a real positive part of our team.”

As does just about any pending free agent this time of year, Lockett says he hopes to stay with the Seahawks. But he also says he’s trying for now to focus mostly on the present.

“Obviously do people think about it? Yeah, you think about it,” Lockett said. “But for me it’s never been about money. For me it’s always been about faith and being able to use this as a platform to be able to show people that you could do both. You can live for God. Some people back at home, the only way they can see that there is a God is by looking at me and my life and growing up. For me, all of that stuff is going to come, that’s something that I don’t worry about but I’d be lying if I said it was never in the back of the mind. I just come out here every day and try to get better. I’m thankful for the opportunity that I have to be able to come to the Seahawks to be able to do both special teams and be able to play receiver. Not too many teams are going to allow you to be able to do that.”

Seattle available targets from 2017: 217 (198 if we're counting solely missing targets from just WR's and TE's)

Seattle available RZ targets from 2017: 44 (FYI Wilson attempted 73 total passes inside the 20 last year). Inside the 10, Wilson attempted 41 passes. 24 of these targets are no longer on the team for 2018.

Notable additions include: Brandon Marshall, Ed Dickson, Jaron Brown. SEA drafted Rashaad Penny in the 1st round as well.

SEA brought in Brian Schottenheimer as OC (as a suffering Jets fan, I'd rather hire a can of tuna fish as OC than Schotty)

Russell Wilson attempted a career high 553 throws in 2017. 

What are you guys thinking is a reasonable target prediction for Lockett in 2018? 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Seattle clearly wants to run more so Wilson will throw around 510 times with roughly 120 to Baldwin. That leaves 390. 

Frankly, from here utterly no idea. How will Marshall do? How will Penny factor in as a WR? What about the other RBs? So much is unknown with this team on offense right now that there really isn’t a good answer until preseason.

That being said, Lockett may be a post breakout steal in the draft. Seattle doesn’t have much weapons on offense. Triple digit targets is very possible. 

Edited by Gohawks
  • Like 2

Depending on his ADP I might be all over this guy. I really love his talent but clearly something wasn't right last year. He's definitely a big-time sleeper candidate

He's a great 15th round pick to round out the Receiving Corps...

This makes me wonder, why is Brandon Marshall being slept on? Last year could have been the product of a terrible Giants Offensive Gameplan

7 hours ago, ponza88 said:

This makes me wonder, why is Brandon Marshall being slept on? Last year could have been the product of a terrible Giants Offensive Gameplan

Somebody else has to catch the ball here, right?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Experienced Rookie said:

Somebody else has to catch the ball here, right?

Agree.  And Lockett is no slouch.

It seems to be a no brainer.  

Edited by Rolling Thunder

Lockett has very little upside, unless your league scores individual return yardage.

Russ is going to throw for around 4000 yards. 

Doug Baldwin is going to get about 1100 of it.

That leaves 2900 yards up for grabs. Somebody is getting it. No more Graham. No more Richardson. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Experienced Rookie said:

Russ is going to throw for around 4000 yards. 

Doug Baldwin is going to get about 1100 of it.

That leaves 2900 yards up for grabs. Somebody is getting it. No more Graham. No more Richardson. 

Doug Baldwin 1100

Tyler Lockett 650

Rashaad Penny 350

Jaron Brown 350

Brandon Marshall 300

J.D. McKissick 275

Ed Dickson 300

Nick Vannett 225

Chris Carson 200

C.J. Prosise 150

Random 100

There's your 4000 yards.  Now which one do you want on your fantasy team?

• Like 1

Lockett is never going to be a high-volume fantasy asset. He’ll randomly hit for a couple good games, but I’ll let someone else deal with him. He’s just a slightly better Tavon Austin

16 hours ago, Axe Elf said:

Lockett has very little upside, unless your league scores individual return yardage.

In my league, which is 1pp20 return yards, Lockett finished WR31 last year, which is a back end wr2 in 16 team. With health and increased targets (and if he maintains KR and PR duties), I can see him moving up to say WR24 in our format. New KR rules are a wild card too, I could see him possibly even increasing his KR prowess under the new rule set. I’m excited to see what 2018 brings for him. 

One thing I can add, and I don’t know if this is a tracked stat, but in the games I watched and when Wilson was scrambling around a lot in the pocket under pressure, Lockett would often be the guy he would look for on the comeback.  I think they have a good chemistry and Wilson loves the deep ball and lockett can burn CBs. 

• Like 3

On 6/15/2018 at 11:22 AM, ponza88 said:

I would be shocked if Marshall even made the roster.

I just don't think he's as talented as most think he is.  His game speed isn't the same as his 40 time would indicate.  Worth a flier at his current ADP, but i have a feeling it changes.

15 minutes ago, RMJ_12 said:

I would be shocked if Marshall even made the roster.

Prepare to be shocked, then, because there's little doubt he will make the roster.  His fantasy relevance, though, is HIGHLY suspect.

With the new kick off rules I think there's gonna be a lot more kicks returned. 

For leagues that reward that I think that alone is the reason you draft him. 

I envision a steady Stat line that amounts to 50 / 650-700 by years end assuming Marshall has anything left. If he doesn't those numbers will increase IMO. You just gotta hope he can get into the end zone for 5+ this year. 

He also has a few rushes sprinkled in as well. 

He's a guy for deeper leagues that reward return yards. 

Steady 7 points receiving. 1 point rushing. 5 points returning and you've got a solid guy without TD's factored in. If he gets those it's just gravy. 

But if you don't have return yards you probably just want to move along now. 

1 hour ago, Axe Elf said:

Prepare to be shocked, then, because there's little doubt he will make the roster.  His fantasy relevance, though, is HIGHLY suspect.

From who?  You?

15 minutes ago, RMJ_12 said:

From who?  You?

Of course, who else?

If Marshall makes the team, he's an obvious candidate to fill Jimmy Graham's valuable red zone role.  Lockett is a good player, though.  Not sure Lockett was totally healthy in 2017, plus he was blocked by Richardson.  Seattle probably felt good about Lockett so they let Richardson walk.  I see Lockett taking Richardson's spot, regardless of Marshall.

Remember when Marshall challenged Antonio brown that he'd beat him in yards?

good times 

32 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

Remember when Marshall challenged Antonio brown that he'd beat him in yards?

good times 

I believe he put up his Porsche to AB’s Rolls, or at least that was Marshall’s suggestion. Coming off his 109 rec / 1501 yards / 14 TD season with Fitzpatrick, it seemed at least feasible at the time that he could compete with AB in 2016. Don’t think he quite paid for his 2nd round ADP that year (59 / 788 / 3). 

But this year, there’s absolutely no way Marshall can bust: he’s going undrafted.

2 hours ago, NYR Fan 116894 said:

@Gohawks

Any chance Marshall doesn't make the team? Was reading this article earlier and it seemed to indicate he's not a lock to make the team. Basically it remains to be seen: http://www.espn.com/blog/seattle-seahawks/post/_/id/30953/what-brandon-marshall-must-do-to-stick-with-the-seahawks

Obviously there’s a chance but it’s not likely nor do I think the examples in the article are very good.

Bottom line is, Seattle really needs a big target and Marshall fits the role well. It’s hard to exactly answer the question because it’s hard to see Marshall’s mental and physical state. However, I do see him on the team once the season roles around because of necessity. He isn’t a threat to Lockett all too much though.

• Thanks 1

On 6/15/2018 at 2:06 AM, Gohawks said:

Seattle clearly wants to run more so Wilson will throw around 510 times with roughly 120 to Baldwin. That leaves 390.

Wait, that means you're not projecting Baldwin's targets to increase.

On 6/17/2018 at 6:26 AM, SharkSwimmer said:

If Marshall makes the team, he's an obvious candidate to fill Jimmy Graham's valuable red zone role.  Lockett is a good player, though.  Not sure Lockett was totally healthy in 2017, plus he was blocked by Richardson.  Seattle probably felt good about Lockett so they let Richardson walk.  I see Lockett taking Richardson's spot, regardless of Marshall.

You said it.  Lockett is a good player, and I am talking eye test, not box scores.  The kid was a stud coming out of K. State.  Loved his tape.  He has had two seasons now to grow into assuming a more significant role.  Talent, preparation, and opportunity are coming togethet for this guy.

Projecting a big jump in production for any player is a bit of a long shot.  You'll guess wrong more times than you'll guess right.   But at current prices, Lockett is a good bet  to my mind.  

• Thanks 1