Gohawks

Kawhi Leonard 2018-19 Season Thread

^much more well-thought out post than many in this thread imo. 

Couple things. Tobias and Deandre don't have anywhere near the name value to lure Lebron. The Lakers still have a massive and nullifying advantage in their roster situation over the Clippers imo. Deandre could still very well leave, and leave this team in tatters in the process. 

Secondly, yes, you are right in how to handle the best team in the league (which the Lakers wouldn't be anyway). But we already saw what the Mavericks did when they gift-wrapped Bogut to Golden State. Some tanking team will always act in their own best interest, so the Lakers aren't getting lessened value from teams that want to keep the from contending.

3 hours ago, miasma16 said:

^much more well-thought out post than many in this thread imo. 

Couple things. Tobias and Deandre don't have anywhere near the name value to lure Lebron. The Lakers still have a massive and nullifying advantage in their roster situation over the Clippers imo. Deandre could still very well leave, and leave this team in tatters in the process. 

Secondly, yes, you are right in how to handle the best team in the league (which the Lakers wouldn't be anyway). But we already saw what the Mavericks did when they gift-wrapped Bogut to Golden State. Some tanking team will always act in their own best interest, so the Lakers aren't getting lessened value from teams that want to keep the from contending.

They do?  The Clippers finished 7 games ahead of them and the Lakers may have to let Randle go, and that was before Thursday night...... The Lakers have better pieces to facilitate a trades because they have cheap potential which tantalizes most ball clubs, but if Lebron wanted to simply sign on as a UFA along with PG or a suddenly in play CP3, the Clippers are actually probably closer.  Probably a little easier to build a "super team" with the Lakers tradeable assets, although it would depend on who was coming and how.  What if Lebron came over in and S&T for Ferguson, Galinari and Boban and flipped Rivers, John, Decker and a first rounder for PG.  

Beverly, PG, Lebron, Harris and DJA is pretty salty with a bench of Lou W, Harrell, SGA, and a MLE.  Now, that's a best case scenario as Harrell may be money whipped and PG and Lebron would have to make it a distressed S&T but you get the jist.....

Lakers would probably look like Lebron, PG, Kuzma, Ingram, Randle (?).  Bench of Hart, a MLE and then filler.... Assuming they have to move Ball in a S&T for cap purposes.  They look pretty close unless Ingram explodes but they're wing heavy without a big man or a point.  The pieces actually flow a little better on the Clippers end IMO.

Fun conversation..... And what does this all have to do with Kawhi?  Not a damn thing so better we bring it back.  LOL!!!!

What about Lebron and CP to LAL.  PG and Kawhi to LAC?

• Haha 1

PG wants to come to LA, been pretty obvious for a year now with him going to Dodger games and such. Clipper team is probably not even making playoffs with what they have in place. Lakers had a great 2018 and (probably) their two best pieces, Lonzo and Ingram, are basically all potential right now. And as noted, they have loads of money and a bunch of useful guys on rookie deals. Their situation is clearly better imo. I'm not even really advocating the Lakers that hard, just that he can go to teams like Philly or whatever and instead of the Clippers if he wants to win games.

But y'all can bring it back to Kawhi. I like hearing some of the sensible posts in this thread (including yours) but I simply think he's going to be a Laker in 2019 because his uncle sold him on the boost to his marketability, and he's making a decision based entirely on that, so I don't have much to add myself. 

Unless the Lakers can offer the best package (which they probably can't), 'Kawhi to LA' will probably have to go back in the firdge for another season. 

Am i the only one who thinks kawhi is being highly overvalued in all these trade talks? The guy hardly even played last season.

3 hours ago, grimsfield said:

Am i the only one who thinks kawhi is being highly overvalued in all these trade talks? The guy hardly even played last season.

He's not being valued at all if red flags come up on a physical. Nobody is trading for him if his health is a major concern. If he's 100% or healthy enough, he's worth every penny. 

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2018/07/05/report-kawhi-leonards-people-actively-hid-him-from-spurs-staffers/

“There was a point during [Kawhi’s] rehab process in New York that some of the Spurs brass went out to see him in New York,” Wright said. “As soon as those guys arrived to the building, Kawhi’s people grabbed him and sequestered him to another part of the building. And so the Spurs’ people couldn’t even see him.”

Not sure if true or not (at this point I believe it is), but must be a great advice from his uncle 

On 6/29/2018 at 1:07 AM, grimsfield said:

I think he's definitely worth it he's a superstar for sure, but what a diva he's been about this whole situation. I wouldn't want him just because of that.

Image result for for that reason im out

Edited by greatestmetfan
  • Like 2

It seems that Spurs are nor ready to give up on Kawhi and they are doing whatever they can to change his mind.   

45 minutes ago, Gile Pile said:

It seems that Spurs are nor ready to give up on Kawhi and they are doing whatever they can to change his mind.   

One has nothing to do with the other...... Spurs are overloaded with guards including a couple of young ones who need minutes.  There wasn't a defined role for Tony so he found a home with someone on the Spurs' coaching tree.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Trench Mob said:

Future Clipper anyday now. 

Who are the Clippers trading for him? 

19 minutes ago, Kaboom said:

Who are the Clippers trading for him? 

I was about to say Toby Harris, one of the previous 1st, and a future 1st, etc. But I had to stop myself. Hmm. Good point.

I want him in South Beach so bad, but we'll be giving up Adebyo and Richardson in the package ( that would be a no ), so we're never getting him.

Edited by Trench Mob
  • Like 1

On 7/6/2018 at 5:12 PM, Gile Pile said:

SMH.....Geez man, this has nothing to do with the Kawhi situation. And if you actually listen to Tony's full interview, he's actually trying to encourage Kawhi, not criticize him. This is why there's so many misconceptions about this situation. People just read headlines ESPN put out and don't really do any research. I encourage Kawhi followers to listen to "Back to Back the podcast" episode "Nerder she wrote: Kawhi Drama with Michael C Wright." It's 100% the best interview that sheds so much light on the situation. It basically boils down to Unlce Denny is ruining Kawhi's career and legacy. 

Assuming he is healthy, how's the Raptors (No Derozan) situation will affect him?

Top 5 again?

7 minutes ago, IcemanIL said:

Assuming he is healthy, how's the Raptors (No Derozan) situation will affect him?

Top 5 again?

Top 5 in Rotisserie no question.

I feel so bad for the Spurs tho. What a garage trade. 

1 hour ago, Trench Mob said:

Top 5 in Rotisserie no question.

I feel so bad for the Spurs tho. What a garage trade. 

They don't need your sympathy the Spurs did a good job considering all of the surrounding circumstances. They got rid of a guy who wasn't going to resign and didn't want to play for them and who sat out while healthy during a playoff run. They bring in an All Star who needs a fresh start after last year's playoff disaster. 

I like it a lot for the Spurs and I like it for the Raptors too. The East is wide open with Lebron out of the picture. If the Raptors can make a NBA Finals run and convince Leonard to stick around like OKC convinced George to stick around this could be huge. It's not outside the realm of possibility. 

• Like 6

Trade summary:

Raptors get - Kawhi Leonard, Danny Green
Spurs get - DeMar DeRozan, Jakob Poeltl and protected 1st round pick for 2019

13 minutes ago, IcemanIL said:

Trade summary:

Raptors get - Kawhi Leonard, Danny Green
Spurs get - DeMar DeRozan, Jakob Poeltl and protected 1st round pick for 2019

Good deal for both sides.  I think Toronto won the trade, but San Antonio got an All Star in his prime, a good young big with upside, and a 1st rounder for a guy that was likely leaving in a year anyways.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, berksemikohen said:

If it happens, Lebron & Kawhi duos for 3-4 positions is gonna be sick.

Father time, waiting another season is a huge risk LBJ will be turning 35