MrMartyBarrett

Ronaldo Hernandez-C TB

This is a guy I touted in the deep prospects thread before the year, but it’s about time he’s getting his own thread here. 

Hes 20 in lo A and age appropriate there, and the Rays are slow at developing guys, but this kid appears to have all of the makings of a true impact catcher, both with the bat and behind the plate.  Lots of these catching prospects fizzle out of the position or can’t hit.  Hernandez has done well both at dish and behind it so far at every level.

After a 2HR game yesterday, he’s at 10 for the year.  Stat line: .307, 10, 50 with 15 doubles.  

36 k to 15 B.B. pretty much on par with the rate of previous levels.  Same with his .882 OPS, straight consistent so far.  

Last years average:  .332

2016- .340

I know a few people were on him pre season, and he was a popular break out prospect by a few (BA, BP,sickels) but it looks to be for real.

Defensively he has well above average arm, as is shown by the fact he threw out 57% of base runners in rookie league last year 20/35).  Now, that number has righted itself to 28% this year, but all accounts are that he’s going to stay at the position.

obviously with a prospect like this there’s a wide degree of variance, but the reports from everywhere are glowing.  The defense isn’t a question,  the contact numbers are great, and the power numbers are growing.

This is the type of guy you jump on now, and ask questions later

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

For what it’s worth (not much) Hernandez won the MWL all star HR derby today.  

Edited by MrMartyBarrett
  • Like 1

Just found out about this guy and have been researching him. Sure seems like he's ready for a promotion but TB known to move guys slowly. 

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Letitbe793 said:

Just found out about this guy and have been researching him. Sure seems like he's ready for a promotion but TB known to move guys slowly. 

At 20 years old, he hasn't had a single AB over A ball and never played a full season. 13 Games in 2015, 54 games in both 2016 and 2017. We're just now seeing what hes capable of over a full seasons worth of AB's. And it's nice. But I'd say earliest we see him is Sept 2019, full time gig in 2020.

I got him as a throw in as part of a bigger deal recently in my 14 team dynasty. Guy was gonna drop him. uh, okay? 

Edited by SwayzeExpress

48 minutes ago, MrMartyBarrett said:

3-4 with a hr (#13), 2 2B, 4R tonight

up to .312

He's absolutely killing it.  Why is he getting no love in prospect circles?

He is though. Just very under the radar.  If you go back to before the season, pretty much everyone was touting him as either someone to watch or a breakout prospect.  If you go through even now, a lot are on him.

As you can tell I’m sold on this kid.  I get it’s just a ball here, but all of the signs point to a true catcher who’s offense will be a huge asset.  Those are increasingly difficult to find 

4-4 with his 14th HR.  Mighty impressive for the MWL, now taking into account he's playing at 20 years old and with good defence as catcher, that is super impressive.

Any chance he gets the call while Ramos is out?

3 minutes ago, STLSU said:

Any chance he gets the call while Ramos is out?

Zero

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Letitbe793 said:

Zero

Yeah, I’m obviously the conductor on this one, but even that is way too much for me 

12 hours ago, MrMartyBarrett said:

Yeah, I’m obviously the conductor on this one, but even that is way too much for me 

and the rays never move prospects quickly it seems. 

I think if theres any catching prospect worth owning hes the one or at least top 3. But its gonna be a while.