J.T. Marlin

2018 NBA Offseason and Free Agency Thread

With the 2018 draft tonight and the July 1 start of FA only 10 days away, I figured now's a good time to start this thread.  As it's been the last number of years, should be another exciting year of trades and signings:

Where will the big names go? (LeBron, PG, CP3, Cousins, DeAndre, etc.)

Next tier of FA? (Favors, JRandle, IT2, Ariza, etc.)

Where will Kahwi go?  Any other big trades in store?

The most fascinating for me is what will end up happening for the Lakers.  They have some really good, young cheap pieces (Kuzma & Hart for sure but also Ingram and Ball still on their rookie deals) .  I see them definitely moving at least one of them with the Deng albatross contract to clear up even more cap room.  That will leave them with roughly $100M to build a roster with at least 2 superstars, probably 3.  I'd imagine the team would be able to entice someone like BroLo or DHo to come back at a bargain price to play C for a chance at a ring.

Should be a fun summer.

• Like 4

Schroeder looking like he's a goner from ATL.  Seemingly a bit of a head case but he will only be 25 at the start of the season and has steadily improved over his 5 year NBA career. 

He'd be a nice fit in ORL - who says no to a straight up Shroeder for Vucevic trade?  The salaries work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J.T. Marlin said:

Schroeder looking like he's a goner from ATL.  Seemingly a bit of a head case but he will only be 25 at the start of the season and has steadily improved over his 5 year NBA career. 

He'd be a nice fit in ORL - who says no to a straight up Shroeder for Vucevic trade?  The salaries work.

Reggie Jackson part deux.... Orlando does make some sense.

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, J.T. Marlin said:

With the 2018 draft tonight and the July 1 start of FA only 10 days away, I figured now's a good time to start this thread.  As it's been the last number of years, should be another exciting year of trades and signings:

Where will the big names go? (LeBron, PG, CP3, Cousins, DeAndre, etc.)

Next tier of FA? (Favors, JRandle, IT2, Ariza, etc.)

Where will Kahwi go?  Any other big trades in store?

The most fascinating for me is what will end up happening for the Lakers.  They have some really good, young cheap pieces (Kuzma & Hart for sure but also Ingram and Ball still on their rookie deals) .  I see them definitely moving at least one of them with the Deng albatross contract to clear up even more cap room.  That will leave them with roughly $100M to build a roster with at least 2 superstars, probably 3.  I'd imagine the team would be able to entice someone like BroLo or DHo to come back at a bargain price to play C for a chance at a ring.

Should be a fun summer.

Hate to burst your bubble, but a see a few flaws with your love for the Lakers:

1) Without eating a large part of the contract or attaching a desirable piece with Deng, the Lakers won't be able to move that contract until next year.

2) I am starting to think LeBron goes back to Cleveland and attracts another star with him (I think Boogie).

3) There are several teams, most notably Boston and Philly, that are way closer to title contention than the Lakers who also have better pieces to deal than the Lakers.

I'm not trying to bash the Lakers and I do think they are on their way to relevance again, but they aren't getting to title contention anytime soon, even if they add a couple of max guys.

As for the actual off-season:

-Lebron stays in Cleveland; Boogie also goes to Cleveland, as I think he might take a short term deal coming off the Achilles to bet on himself for a max deal in the next year or two.

-I think PG goes to the Lakers or goes back to OKC

-Ainge pulls the trigger and moves some combo of Brown, Rozier, R. Williams, Sacramento's pick, and other draft capital for Kawhi (I think they have enough to do a deal without Tatum, but SA is probably going to ask for Tatum)

-CP3 and DeAndre Jordan stay put

-Dallas sheds salary and signs a max offer sheet for Capella

*Bold prediction - Trade centered around Love and McCollum takes place*

Edited by jmoney23
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, jmoney23 said:

Hate to burst your bubble, but a see a few flaws with your love for the Lakers:

1) Without eating a large part of the contract or attaching a desirable piece with Deng, the Lakers won't be able to move that contract until next year.

2) I am starting to think LeBron goes back to Cleveland and attracts another star with him (I think Boogie).

3) There are several teams, most notably Boston and Philly, that are way closer to title contention than the Lakers who also have better pieces to deal than the Lakers.

I'm not trying to bash the Lakers and I do think they are on their way to relevance again, but they aren't getting to title contention anytime soon, even if they add a couple of max guys.

As for the actual off-season:

-Lebron stays in Cleveland; Boogie also goes to Cleveland, as I think he might take a short term deal coming off the Achilles to bet on himself for a max deal in the next year or two.

-I think PG goes to the Lakers or goes back to OKC

-Ainge pulls the trigger and moves some combo of Brown, Rozier, R. Williams, Sacramento's pick, and other draft capital for Kawhi (I think they have enough to do a deal without Tatum, but SA is probably going to ask for Tatum)

-CP3 and DeAndre Jordan stay put

-Dallas sheds salary and signs a max offer sheet for Capella

*Bold prediction - Trade centered around Love and McCollum takes place*

1.  How would Boogie go to Cleveland?  What is the mechanism?  How would you pay him if Lebron comes back?

2.  PG goes to the Lakers or to OKC.  LOL!  Going out on a limb considering those have been the only reported two choices.  I guess he could go to the Clippers.  I think he's waiting to see what Lebron does.  If he stays, then the domino affect will be enormous.

3.  Agree SA will ask for Tatum.  Agree Boston says no.  I love what Boston has done with the Williams pick (although he apparently overslept his morning call today).  Whether or not Ainge wants to make a play for Lebron or Kawhi is one of the more intriguing storylines in FA.  I think they end up staying pat although they'll be in all the juicy talks.

4.  Agreed on CP and DJA.  

5.  I could see that although Houston will match.  I think they go hard after Boogie too.

6.  Love/McCollum.  How would that take place?  With or without Lebron staying?

Nice comments as far as getting conversation going....

5 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

1.  How would Boogie go to Cleveland?  What is the mechanism?  How would you pay him if Lebron comes back?

2.  PG goes to the Lakers or to OKC.  LOL!  Going out on a limb considering those have been the only reported two choices.  I guess he could go to the Clippers.  I think he's waiting to see what Lebron does.  If he stays, then the domino affect will be enormous.

3.  Agree SA will ask for Tatum.  Agree Boston says no.  I love what Boston has done with the Williams pick (although he apparently overslept his morning call today).  Whether or not Ainge wants to make a play for Lebron or Kawhi is one of the more intriguing storylines in FA.  I think they end up staying pat although they'll be in all the juicy talks.

4.  Agreed on CP and DJA.  

5.  I could see that although Houston will match.  I think they go hard after Boogie too.

6.  Love/McCollum.  How would that take place?  With or without Lebron staying?

Nice comments as far as getting conversation going....

1. As I said, I think Boogie will take a show-me deal coming off the Achilles injury for 1-2 years, and I think it's at less than the max, not because of personal desire, but because I don't think a team will be comfortable giving him max money, as Achilles injuries have really affected lesser players coming off the injury in the past.

2. Sometimes the obvious answer is the answer...just saying that I see it how everyone sees it.  The OP asked about PG, and I gave my thoughts.

3. Thanks

4. Thanks

5. Agree

6.  This would be if LeBron stays, which I predicted.  I also think if they get Boogie, it makes Love expendable.  They need a reliable off ball scorer in the backcourt and I think Portland could use a reliable big man (moreso, I think they need to break up Dame and CJ, and you aren't dealing Dame), so the trade works for both teams.

7 minutes ago, jmoney23 said:

1. As I said, I think Boogie will take a show-me deal coming off the Achilles injury for 1-2 years, and I think it's at less than the max, not because of personal desire, but because I don't think a team will be comfortable giving him max money, as Achilles injuries have really affected lesser players coming off the injury in the past.

2. Sometimes the obvious answer is the answer...just saying that I see it how everyone sees it.  The OP asked about PG, and I gave my thoughts.

3. Thanks

4. Thanks

5. Agree

6.  This would be if LeBron stays, which I predicted.  I also think if they get Boogie, it makes Love expendable.  They need a reliable off ball scorer in the backcourt and I think Portland could use a reliable big man (moreso, I think they need to break up Dame and CJ, and you aren't dealing Dame), so the trade works for both teams.

Cleveland doesn't have any money...... They can only offer the tax payer's exception.  There's a difference between not taking a max deal and going ring hunting and playing for basically the minimum (5 million for the Tax MLE).  Otherwise, they have to dump contracts.  They may be able to sell one if they pair it with the Sexton pick.  Maybe, but still over the cap.  McCollum for Love gives the Cavs zero cost savings, actually increases a bit.  So again, how are you going to create salary cap room?  I don't see Boogie taking 5m especially since he'll still get offered 3 or 4 times more by other team's in a "prove it" deal.....

Yeah this is the start and end of this conversation. Cleveland has no money and no assets. Lebron either goes back to the same team as last year or he leaves. Nobody good is coming into Cleveland. 

• Like 1

I love how he bashes the Lakers who have a ton of cap space with young, rising stars and then goes on to predict Boogie going to the Cavs with no cap space. Do you know how salary caps work? Boogies is either staying in NOLA or going to the Mavs/lakers.

Reggie Miller said he doesn’t see Lebron going to the Lakers because he won’t want to follow Kobes shadow. Nothing ground breaking and it’s been a somewhat common thought but it is an interesting point. Yes, most people will claim Lebron > Kobe but it’s irrelevant to the point of Lebron potentially not wanting to try and follow legacies making the Clippers an option. 

The Clippers have nothing, that makes no sense at all. Lebron isn't going to a team in the West to get beaten on before he can even sniff the Finals. 

PatBev

Lebron

PG13

Tobias

DJ

Gallinari

Wesley Johnson

Avery Bradley

Lou Williams

Seems like a legit squad to me. Instead of a team like Lonzo & Brook Lopez if they decide to keep him.

4 hours ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

PatBev

Lebron

PG13

Tobias

DJ

Gallinari

Wesley Johnson

Avery Bradley

Lou Williams

Seems like a legit squad to me. Instead of a team like Lonzo & Brook Lopez if they decide to keep him.

Image result for facepalm through face

42 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

Image result for facepalm through face

Lol

compared to what the Lakers, and a bunch of Vet minimums?

21 hours ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

Lol

compared to what the Lakers, and a bunch of Vet minimums?

Use your brain, the Lakers have the cap space for 2 free agents max contracts to add to a roster full of useful players on rookie deals. They have one of the better roster situations in the league, while the Clippers, uh, don't. Just ridiculous that the people try to talk down to the Lakers because they're ignoring what their roster is capable of looking like in a month. The same people that think the Cavs have the ability to do literally anything with their roster.

43 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

Use your brain, the Lakers have the cap space for 2 free agents max contracts to add to a roster full of useful players on rookie deals. They have one of the better roster situations in the league, while the Clippers, uh, don't. Just ridiculous that the people try to talk down to the Lakers because they're ignoring what their roster is capable of looking like in a month. The same people that think the Cavs have the ability to do literally anything with their roster.

The Lakers have had the ability to sign 2 max free agents since Kobe has retired. They don’t get them, that’s why they overpaid Mozgov and Deng. Ballmer will probably pay the luxury tax. 

However what I was saying though was that the Clippers have a more solid team, than the Lakers if you like at players from 1-15. 

1 hour ago, miasma16 said:

1.  Not quite, at least if one of them is Lebron.  They'd have to sacrifice someone of value.

2.  Most superstars don't end up signing as UFA's.  It does happen every once in awhile.  KD and Howard being the most notable exceptions but most stars like their money and they want the higher starting salary and higher annual percentage increases.  The impact is the Lakers will have to give up assets to shed salary, generally in S&T's.  So, most likely, this isn't just adding two max superstars to the existing roster, especially if one of these is Lebron.  

So do are the Lakers in a nice spot to add 2 or maybe even 3 max stars to their roster?  Yes.  Will it come at expense to some or a great deal of their young assets?  Maybe.  Depends on who it is.  Boogie Cousins?  Maybe you don't have to quite max him out.  Paul George?  May have to trade with OKC.  Lebron?  Not sure, depends on what kind of contract he wants, but whatever it is, it would be 35m + which would mean the other star would need to be under 30 million unless they trade some salary or renounce some guys.  Timing is very important too because Randle will probably have a few suitors who are very aggressive and sign him to an offer sheet early in Free Agency if not the first day.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

1.  Not quite, at least if one of them is Lebron.  They'd have to sacrifice someone of value.

2.  Most superstars don't end up signing as UFA's.  It does happen every once in awhile.  KD and Howard being the most notable exceptions but most stars like their money and they want the higher starting salary and higher annual percentage increases.  The impact is the Lakers will have to give up assets to shed salary, generally in S&T's.  So, most likely, this isn't just adding two max superstars to the existing roster, especially if one of these is Lebron.  

But somehow the Clippers are signing Lebron and PG as free agents?

Again, my point isn't to advocate the Lakers. My point is that thinking Lebron is going to the Clippers is stupid. Come on guys, the originator of this idea is Reggie Miller. That should tell you all you need to know about its credibility.

This could be a factor this summer with Free Agent action

The Celtics could offer more but will they? OKC took the dive with Paul George last year and this year they are probably losing him. Also, the guy they traded Victor Oladipo blossomed this year. They got burned.

Will Celtics ignore that event and trade its assets for a rental Kwahi? 

That outfit Harden was wearing along with his Beard will make for a nice Halloween custom this year. 

2 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Finally.... a bit of action.  DJA opting in and getting traded now???

#FreeBoban

On 6/23/2018 at 2:57 PM, RedDogNamedClippers said:

PatBev

Lebron

PG13

Tobias

DJ

Gallinari

Wesley Johnson

Avery Bradley

Lou Williams

Please explain how this would work financially. If you can figure this out, 30 NBA teams will looking to hire you as the GM.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1