J.T. Marlin

2018 NBA Offseason and Free Agency Thread

1 hour ago, JoeNoIngles said:

Please explain how this would work financially. If you can figure this out, 30 NBA teams will looking to hire you as the GM.

I don’t want the job. I know it won’t work, but they have the pieces to move and like the Lakers, I see Ballmer willing to pay luxury tax as well. As it stands the Clippers are only 13 million over the cap with the only people they really have to worry about is Montrell & Bradley. 

So so how do you make it work? Well of course you trade DJ (since now you acquired Gortat), Gortat & Boban are serviceable. Probably trade Gallinari and Tedosic. You save roughly 24 million between the two there.

at this point now you can pay to bring Bradley back as a good wing defender and then pay for Bron & PG services. What does the team look like now?

Beverly, Bradley, George, Bron, Gortat

(Bench: Harris, Lou a Williams, Dekker, Boban)

May not beat the Warriors, but IMO, that is better than being cash strapped in signing Lebron & PG (AND Kawhi) and being stuck to signing people to the MLE.

what do you do with (IT2, Brook Lopez. KCP, Randle) do you just let them all go? A team needs depth, hence why the Warriors can rely on Quinn Cook and Kevon Looney for extended periods of time.

26 minutes ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

Probably trade Gallinari and Tedosic. You save roughly 24 million between the two there.

Save how? This is the NBA. You can't just trade players away for cap space.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

Replace Gortat with Harris and you have small ball lineup that can defend and score.  This lineup matches really good with Warriors and Rockets. 

From basketball point of view Clippers make more sense than Lakers. I am not sure if this can happen money wise, but  if I were LeBron I would definitely look at Clippers

• Like 1

2 hours ago, miasma16 said:

Save how? This is the NBA. You can't just trade players away for cap space.

I’m guessing you never heard of Salary dump moves. Who do you think the Lakers got rid of Mozgov and are trying to/hope to get rid of Deng?

4 minutes ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

I’m guessing you never heard of Salary dump moves. Who do you think the Lakers got rid of Mozgov and are trying to/hope to get rid of Deng?

Lol? Why don't you explain them to me then, genius? Because I'm pretty sure the Lakers traded Mozgov (while giving up other assets) in order to get a contract that expired a year later. You're talking about getting Lebron and PG now.

How about the Clippers trading for Kawhi, like Harris+2 rookies. DAJ opt-out/traded, decline Beverley (if necessary), then sign LBJ/PG. Now they have:

Gortat/LBJ/Gallinari/Kawhi/Lou

I gave the approximation of a best case scenario for the Clippers here.....

Now, since then, Rivers had been traded and it appears they're gearing up to trade DJA so the Clippers look like they're moving on....

3 hours ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

I don’t want the job. I know it won’t work, but they have the pieces to move and like the Lakers, I see Ballmer willing to pay luxury tax as well. As it stands the Clippers are only 13 million over the cap with the only people they really have to worry about is Montrell & Bradley. 

So so how do you make it work? Well of course you trade DJ (since now you acquired Gortat), Gortat & Boban are serviceable. Probably trade Gallinari and Tedosic. You save roughly 24 million between the two there.

at this point now you can pay to bring Bradley back as a good wing defender and then pay for Bron & PG services. What does the team look like now?

May not beat the Warriors, but IMO, that is better than being cash strapped in signing Lebron & PG (AND Kawhi) and being stuck to signing people to the MLE.

what do you do with (IT2, Brook Lopez. KCP, Randle) do you just let them all go? A team needs depth, hence why the Warriors can rely on Quinn Cook and Kevon Looney for extended periods of time.

Even if DJ opts out of his contract the Clippers are right at the salary cap. Beverly has a $5 mil non guaranteed contract and Teodosic has only $2 mil guaranteed of his total $6.3 mil if he is waived by July 15. The last non guaranteed contract on the roster is C.J. Williams with 1.4$ mil so IF they release all of them they have 11$ mil for both Lebron and PG + the Bi-annual exception worth $3.4 mil . Good luck convincing them to take the most massive pay-cut of all times and play for a roster with no PG(remember they have to waive both Beverly and Teodosic and not resign Bradley).So to conclude there is no possible way for them to have the roster you proposed, even if they somehow dumped all of the $20 mil owed to Gallo... For reference, Lebron got $33.2 mil last year and PG got $19.3...

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

Let me break it down for you. The Clippers salary is currently at 116m which is 15 mil over the cap. For them to sign lebron and PG13 (70m combined) they would need to clear 85m in salary. Getting rid of DJ+beverly+wesley+10m from a combo of players would allow them to sign one of lebron/PG. To clear the other 35 mil, they would need to trade Gal and harris. The other option is to have lebron/pg opt in and facilitate a trade in which the clips have to match salary(gal + harris) and give up assets to make it happen. At this point they only have the mle + vet minimum to sign players. Still think they have a good team?

Lakers - Stretch Deng and let Randle walk and they can sign Lebron and PG outright. Lopez said he would resign for cheap if they are in contention

Starters - PG, Lebron, ball, ingram, lopez

backups - Kuz, hart, zubac

IF you were lebron and Pg, which LA team would you choose?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, JoeNoIngles said:

Let me break it down for you. The Clippers salary is currently at 116m which is 15 mil over the cap. For them to sign lebron and PG13 (70m combined) they would need to clear 85m in salary. Getting rid of DJ+beverly+wesley+10m from a combo of players would allow them to sign one of lebron/PG. To clear the other 35 mil, they would need to trade Gal and harris. The other option is to have lebron/pg opt in and facilitate a trade in which the clips have to match salary(gal + harris) and give up assets to make it happen. At this point they only have the mle + vet minimum to sign players. Still think they have a good team?

Lakers - Stretch Deng and let Randle walk and they can sign Lebron and PG outright. Lopez said he would resign for cheap if they are in contention

Starters - PG, Lebron, ball, ingram, lopez

backups - Kuz, hart, zubac

IF you were lebron and Pg, which LA team would you choose?

Neither. Unless you want to be in LA and not win a title in the next 5 years

3 hours ago, Gile Pile said:

Neither. Unless you want to be in LA and not win a title in the next 5 years

There have historically been a lot of players with that attitude.

Phoenix Suns about to make a trade probably involving expiring contracts (Chandler/Dudley).

Stephen A Drama is reporting that a source of his says that Lebron has been texting KD about teaming up with him in Oakland. 

Let me say this. If this happens I will not watch any NBA game on TV nor will I go to any Pelican game. And I'm as big of an NBA fan as any. 

This would be a catastrophic failure of competitive balance. 

21 minutes ago, Cdub2k said:

Stephen A Drama is reporting that a source of his says that Lebron has been texting KD about teaming up with him in Oakland. 

Let me say this. If this happens I will not watch any NBA game on TV nor will I go to any Pelican game. And I'm as big of an NBA fan as any. 

Nah you'll watch. Klay would leave next season, the warriors would be over. No 3-peat steph left to rott there, poetic justice as they aren't deserving or worthy at all after what KD did, he could find some redemption by winning one in Oakland along side the GOAT. 

53 minutes ago, Cdub2k said:

"Report" is about teaming up in LA - not Oakland.

4 minutes ago, drgr20 said:

"Report" is about teaming up in LA - not Oakland.

thank you I missed that

Where is my man Brook Lopez going? Sleep on him next year...

It seems like Ingram and a first is a good deal but I am be in the minority thinking that just maybe L.A shouldn't offer anything.

First, it seems that PG13s likeliness of staying in OKC may make the Lakers want to make a deal even more. Not wanting a repeat of Leonard going to the Celtics for instance and then deciding that he likes it there. However, PG was not this damn set on going to LA. I fail to see a situation where he does not just go to LA next year.

Second, I understand the wanting to pair him with Lebron but can't you wait a season? If I was LA I wouldn't even go for Lebron. I would stay put this season and try for Leonard, Thompson, and potentially a guy like Butler.

Ball

Leonard

Butler or Thompson

Ingram

?

Seems like a damn good team with a bright future. That team would be a threat for a very long time if Ball and Ingram continue to develop. Pulling what the rumors state they are doing is going to hurt Balls development and deplete them of resources. Even then, they may not beat a peak Warriors team. Then, in a 2 or so years Lebron is on the decline, may leave, and now you are the Nets.

1 hour ago, Gohawks said:

It seems like Ingram and a first is a good deal but I am be in the minority thinking that just maybe L.A shouldn't offer anything.

First, it seems that PG13s likeliness of staying in OKC may make the Lakers want to make a deal even more. Not wanting a repeat of Leonard going to the Celtics for instance and then deciding that he likes it there. However, PG was not this damn set on going to LA. I fail to see a situation where he does not just go to LA next year.

Second, I understand the wanting to pair him with Lebron but can't you wait a season? If I was LA I wouldn't even go for Lebron. I would stay put this season and try for Leonard, Thompson, and potentially a guy like Butler.

Ball

Leonard

Butler or Thompson

Ingram

?

Seems like a damn good team with a bright future. That team would be a threat for a very long time if Ball and Ingram continue to develop. Pulling what the rumors state they are doing is going to hurt Balls development and deplete them of resources. Even then, they may not beat a peak Warriors team. Then, in a 2 or so years Lebron is on the decline, may leave, and now you are the Nets.

So you want the Lakers to enact the same exact strategy with Leonard they did last season with George, which in your scenario, is an unmitigated disaster???  Why would you think it's going to work next year?  What if it doesn't?  It's already come out that Kawhi's "camp" feels Philly is a viable solution too.  I mean....

thats-a-bold-x0cbtc.jpg

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

So you want the Lakers to enact the same exact strategy with Leonard they did last season with George, which in your scenario, is an unmitigated disaster???  Why would you think it's going to work next year?  What if it doesn't?  It's already come out that Kawhi's "camp" feels Philly is a viable solution too.  I mean....

thats-a-bold-x0cbtc.jpg

Yes I do because it seems like Leonard is more set on going to LA than PG was. Even then, we still aren't sure that PG won't go.

Whatever they do is a bold strategy. Giving away your future for a guy that sat out a season and then expecting Lebron to also come and not hit a cliff is just as bold with a lot more risk.

1 hour ago, Gohawks said:

Yes I do because it seems like Leonard is more set on going to LA than PG was. Even then, we still aren't sure that PG won't go.

Whatever they do is a bold strategy. Giving away your future for a guy that sat out a season and then expecting Lebron to also come and not hit a cliff is just as bold with a lot more risk.

Idk maybe it’s a bit of hindsight but didn’t it seem like a foregone conclusion at some point that PG was going to LA? I mean OKC wasn’t a massive success... if anything it was a minor disappointment... and they still got him to stay? 

PG staying kindve proves that even if your the lakers these FAs want to be in a walk in and win situation. If Ball doesn’t improve  (still talented just not taking those future steps) and it’s just PG and youngsters that’s not as appealing. Who knows if Kawhi won’t feel the same way next year if the Lakers are a lottery team. 

Why do any of you think Paul George won't be a Laker next season? You think he's doing a 3-part miniseries on returning to Oklahoma? I must've missed something. 

3 hours ago, miasma16 said:

Why do any of you think Paul George won't be a Laker next season? You think he's doing a 3-part miniseries on returning to Oklahoma? I must've missed something. 

I have to add Carmelo is on that team, his huge salary limiting their potential. PG is probably looking at another possible 1st round exit if he stays??

6 hours ago, miasma16 said:

Im not saying necessarily what will happen or won’t. But it’s certainly not looking as cut and dry as the Lakers hoped it would. 

SO IT BEGINS