J.T. Marlin

2018 NBA Offseason and Free Agency Thread

Just now, Code of Hammurabi said:

SO IT BEGINS

Realistically knocks out Houston or Boston..... he wasn't going to those places anyway but somewhere.... Daryl Morey is inconsolable.... 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Realistically knocks out Houston or Boston..... he wasn't going to those places anyway but somewhere.... Daryl Morey is inconsolable.... 

I would agree. My gut says its La or he stays in Clev. The real questions,

1) Can LA pull something off of for Kahwi? I'd doubt it personally

2) Can the Cavs somehow work some good management and shed some dead/overvalued weight like Hill , Smith, Clarkson or Thompson? Would anyone be interested in a combo of like Hill, plus the #8 pick for a meaningful asset? 

3) Is there a darkhorse team out there that can make a plausible run?

Edited by Code of Hammurabi

4 minutes ago, Code of Hammurabi said:

I would agree. My guy says its La or he stays in Clev. The real questions,

2) Can the Cavs somehow work some good management and shed some dead/overvalued weight like Hill , Smith, Clarkson or Thompson? Would anyone be interested in a combo of like Hill, plus the #8 pick for a meaningful asset? 

1.  Definitely but they would need to do it quickly.  You have the Randle decision coming up fast and once George and Lebron sign or get traded then money gets scarce.

2.  I've seen Kemba Walker for maybe Sexton and another piece but Jordan wants to attach a bad contract to Kemba so it'd be hard.  Kemba to the Lakers if they strike out with George or Kawhi and Lebron goes there is something which could be realistic.

3.  At Lebron??  Miami maybe.... but man, they'd have to make like 3-4 big moves.... not likely at all.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Patrick Bateman said:

1.  Definitely but they would need to do it quickly.  You have the Randle decision coming up fast and once George and Lebron sign or get traded then money gets scarce.

2.  I've seen Kemba Walker for maybe Sexton and another piece but Jordan wants to attach a bad contract to Kemba so it'd be hard.  Kemba to the Lakers if they strike out with George or Kawhi and Lebron goes there is something which could be realistic.

3.  At Lebron??  Miami maybe.... but man, they'd have to make like 3-4 big moves.... not likely at all.

Re: Kemba, they would have to send another piece back (hill, Smith, Clarkson) to get the salaries in order. I think Kemba would be a nice add to be honest. Someone who could potentially fill the old Kyrie role and also stretch the floor with consistent outside shooting. The problem is that they would have to sign Kemba to a huge deal the season after. Not sure that would work assuming LBJ is still there season after next...

Posted (edited)

@Code of Hammurabi why dont you think LA can get kawhi? because they arent willing to pay the price and/or SAS dont want to trade kawhi to WC team? if you know you can sign lebron and possible pg why wouldnt you pony up basically anyone 

Edited by colepenhagen

25 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

@Code of Hammurabi why dont you think LA can get kawhi? because they arent willing to pay the price and/or SAS dont want to trade kawhi to WC team? if you know you can sign lebron and possible pg why wouldnt you pony up basically anyone 

I just dont believe that the Spurs, given the organization that they are, will just hand over Kahwi for a paltry return, esp to a Rival. Guys like Randle, Ball Kuzma just wont get it done.  I'll eat crow if im wrong

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Code of Hammurabi said:

I just dont believe that the Spurs, given the organization that they are, will just hand over Kahwi for a paltry return, esp to a Rival. Guys like Randle, Ball Kuzma just wont get it done.  I'll eat crow if im wrong

When season starts , my guess is that Kawhi will be with:  Spurs 50%, Philly 25%, Celtics 20%,    Lakers 5%  

It all depends where LeBron will go.    

I know it will not happen but this crazy theory is in my head:

LeBron calls Pop and tells him:  I will sign with SA if you don't trade Kawhi.

LeBron signs with Cavs and sign and trade with Spurs (for Gasol, Mills, Green and warm bodies to match salaries ) happens. 

Spurs win the title and offer Kawhi max contract.  Kawhi is left to decide: stay with winning team, get max contract and play with (arguably) GOAT or go and  play for Lakers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Code of Hammurabi said:

I would agree. My gut says its La or he stays in Clev. The real questions,

Find out next time in the next episode of Dragon Ballz

Only teams that seem to have the long-term good outlook & trade firepower to make a Kahwi trade work would be LAL, PHI or BOS.

LAL would have to include Deng salary to make a Kahwi trade work.  It all depends on how much the Lakers are willing to give up and what the Spurs would accept.  Something like Ingram, Kuzma, Hart, Deng (with LAL eating something like half his contract) + future draft pick for Kahwi and DGreen.  I believe the salaries work.  It's a pretty good haul for the Spurs and obviously much better than nothing if the indications are clear that Kahwi is bolting next summer for sure.  PHI and BOS obviously also have the combo of good young players + picks to make it happen.  Plus, all 3 destinations are places where the situations would be set-up good for the medium to long-term, so chances of getting Kahwi to extend early are good.  Obviously a team like PHO has some good young assets and could most likely entice the Spurs to trade Kahwi.  However, PHO would be taking a big gamble that Kahwi would resign after the 18-19 season, so I don't count a team like that a realistic option.  I still think the Lakers will find a way to get this done.

Starting line-up of Lonzo, PG, LBJ, Kahwi and I'm assuming either BLopez or Dwight would sign a very team friendly 1 year deal to play C for a chance at a ring (both guys have made a lot of money so far in their careers).  Still would have Zubic, this year's rookies and surely some other veteran FA would sign on the cheap to play with this super team. 

Posted (edited)

Not liking TJ Warren's outlook anymore in PHO.  The team has used top 10 lottery picks the last 2 years to take SF sized players (Josh Jackson & Mikal Bridges).  Not a great sign for his fantasy value or long-term outlook in PHO.  He could be a player on the move during the summer.

Shroeder for Warren and Chriss?  The salaries work.

Edited by J.T. Marlin
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, J.T. Marlin said:

Not liking TJ Warren's outlook anymore in PHO.  The team has used top 10 lottery picks the last 2 years to take SF sized players (Josh Jackson & Mikal Bridges).  Not a great sign for his fantasy value or long-term outlook in PHO.  He could be a player on the move during the summer.

Shroeder for Warren and Chriss?  The salaries work.

I thought Atlanta was trading away Schroder because he has attitude issues. Chriss has plenty of that lol.

3 hours ago, Code of Hammurabi said:

I agree in general with "paltry" return, but organization or not if they think it's a legitimate question if Kawhi even plays... I mean what do you think the chances are that Kawhi stays in San Antonio I guess would be the better and more apt question in this situation. Because as someone personally who thinks the chances are very very slim-to-none, I have to imagine it's going to be the highest bidder whoever can make that bid. And since I don't think anyone would make a trade for anything more than PG last year in the same situation (keeping in mind Dipo's value shot up the past calendar year... and realistically Sabonis too) without a guaranteed contract past this year, I do think the Lakers are going to be in a position where they more than any other team believe if they get him he stays... so whereas the market may reflect some teams hesitancy for fear of not being able to retain Leonard, the Lakers can be as gung-ho as they want becuase if Kawhi is wearing Yellow and Purple in 2018 he's wearing Yellow in Purple in 2019 for SURE. 

14 minutes ago, rob0403 said:

I thought Atlanta was trading away Schroder because he has attitude issues. Chriss has plenty of that lol.

You're probably right.  Just trying to look at different situations where trades would seemingly work for teams both from a salary, need and mostly "fair trade" standpoint.  I can't imagine ATL wants to keep Shroeder around with their drafting of Trae.  Suggested a Schroeder for Vuc (Orl) in another post and I still think that one makes a lot of sense.

2 hours ago, rob0403 said:

I mean is it specifically the generalness of attitude issues or the actual fact that the guy said something to the accord of he doesn’t play basketball to lose and wants the Hawks to trade him. Because that’s not just having a bad attitude in a general sense that’s a very specific thing that usually doesn’t happen and usually burns bridges pretty entirely... I mean Bledsoe?

5 minutes ago, taobball said:

I mean is it specifically the generalness of attitude issues or the actual fact that the guy said something to the accord of he doesn’t play basketball to lose and wants the Hawks to trade him. Because that’s not just having a bad attitude in a general sense that’s a very specific thing that usually doesn’t happen and usually burns bridges pretty entirely... I mean Bledsoe?

Yeah you are right. It must have been pretty bad for them to draft Trae Young to immediately replace him. I doubt they can play together.

7 minutes ago, rob0403 said:

Yeah you are right. It must have been pretty bad for them to draft Trae Young to immediately replace him. I doubt they can play together.

I mean if you have'nt seen/heard it I believe he literally starts listing teams that were more successful that he'd rather play for. You don't mend that. 

4 hours ago, J.T. Marlin said:

Only teams that seem to have the long-term good outlook & trade firepower to make a Kahwi trade work would be LAL, PHI or BOS.

LAL would have to include Deng salary to make a Kahwi trade work.  It all depends on how much the Lakers are willing to give up and what the Spurs would accept.  Something like Ingram, Kuzma, Hart, Deng (with LAL eating something like half his contract) + future draft pick for Kahwi and DGreen.  I believe the salaries work.  It's a pretty good haul for the Spurs and obviously much better than nothing if the indications are clear that Kahwi is bolting next summer for sure.  PHI and BOS obviously also have the combo of good young players + picks to make it happen.  Plus, all 3 destinations are places where the situations would be set-up good for the medium to long-term, so chances of getting Kahwi to extend early are good.  Obviously a team like PHO has some good young assets and could most likely entice the Spurs to trade Kahwi.  However, PHO would be taking a big gamble that Kahwi would resign after the 18-19 season, so I don't count a team like that a realistic option.  I still think the Lakers will find a way to get this done.

Starting line-up of Lonzo, PG, LBJ, Kahwi and I'm assuming either BLopez or Dwight would sign a very team friendly 1 year deal to play C for a chance at a ring (both guys have made a lot of money so far in their careers).  Still would have Zubic, this year's rookies and surely some other veteran FA would sign on the cheap to play with this super team. 

IMO, the Spurs aren't going to take on Deng's contract.  I mean, think about it, they'd have to pay a team someone like Hart and future first to eat it right now and those are teams with space like Sac, Atlanta or maybe Phoenix.  Spurs don't want his contract b/c if they play it right, they'll have money to spend in next year's FA class.  They certainly aren't going to trade Danny Green and Kawhi to the Lakers.  That's silliness.  I could see Patty Mills though and the Spurs want to dump his number.... Lakers are under the cap so they can take on salary but it's a finite window.  Once PG or Lebron get traded or sign, it evaporates.  If Randle gets an offer sheet this weekend, they'll have 72 hours to decide on that too..... 

I'm more interested to see if PG and/or Lebron want to get traded to keep their Bird rights.... 

Brooke said he'd come back on a short, cost effective deal and he's from the area.  I think he'd come back for the MLE.

Posted (edited)

PG back to OKC? Look at the Luxury Tax. I don't know how it works. 

OKC + PG (30M):

5b383076180aa_FireShotCapture224-RoyceYoungWhyOKCMayKeepPaulGeorgefor_-https___www.youtube.com_watch.jpg.a08885b23ecdd2a06cf793b3c20a1956.jpg

OKC + PG (30M) + Jarami Grant (9M): Luxury Tax will surge to 138M. That means a 9M player actually worth 50M!

Edited by littlesamtung
  • Like 1

It’s so hard to see PG staying but you never know. 

They barely made the playoffs and playing with WB has to suck. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, littlesamtung said:

PG back to OKC? Look at the Luxury Tax. I don't know how it works. 

OKC + PG (30M):

5b383076180aa_FireShotCapture224-RoyceYoungWhyOKCMayKeepPaulGeorgefor_-https___www.youtube.com_watch.jpg.a08885b23ecdd2a06cf793b3c20a1956.jpg

OKC + PG (30M) + Jarami Grant (9M): Luxury Tax will surge to 138M. That means a 9M player actually worth 50M!

On nba tv they said they can waive melo and stretch his contract out over 3 years if they cant find a trade partner(me7o) also has a no trade clause. So he counts as 9.3 million next 3 years, but economically for the okc owner(s) paying carmelo 9.3 instead of 27.9 this season saves him/them roughly 50 million luxury tax wise.

Edited by turner46
Spelling on phone

Paul George either must like playing with Westbrook or like Durant, likes being the beta. 

PG13 announced he's staying at Westrbook's party. CP3 4 years 160 million to stay in Houston. KD another 1 plus 1 deal.

1 year 24.1 million for Deandre Jordan to the Mavs