J.T. Marlin

2018 NBA Offseason and Free Agency Thread

4 minutes ago, Preparing the Kool-Aid said:

Revenge... I guess there can be that side to the story. Then there's also the side of flipping off the fans and chasing a ring.

The whole thing about rings... Just as we speak, Skip Bayless is on tv talking about how "Demarcus needed a ring... he was 8 years into the league and he needed a ring". This is where it has come down to. Malone and Hakeem join Bulls. They needed rings.

If you're relying on Skip Bayless to inform your opinions, you've already lost. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

For one, he (= the mainstream media really) is an opinion leader. I don't need to cosign his statements, but just know that those talk shows both impact and reflect the general vibe. Did Ewing need a ring? Did Malone need a ring? The script is flipped, and this is the sign of the times. Weak times from a competitive stand point. Even you're talking about Demarcus walking out of this with a ring, like that would be the thing that counts instead of going at it hard and embracing the competition no matter what...

Edited by Preparing the Kool-Aid

I can't claim to be a true Warriors fan because I'm not. I'm a Curry fan personally and grew to like Draymond and Klay before their championship status, but still can't call myself a true Warriors fan. Anyways, I just wonder though if the same people who complain about what is going on with this Warriors Dynasty would be complaining about league parity, unfairness, and go on calling players out of their names if THEIR team was the one in the Warrior's position? Things that make you go hmmm....

Of course, we'll never know and most of those people will give some BS answers that they would feel the same, but in the end, I know and so does everybody else, if they're being honest, that most of the hate comes from jealousy and not really this deep rooted belief in NBA fairness. Now I'm not saying that people don't care about league competitiveness, and I actually do myself. But again, I think a lot of people would change their tune and be on the DEFENSIVE instead of the OFFENSIVE if THEIR team was in the midst of great fortune like the Warriors right now....

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Cancel the season, give GS the rings, move everyones contract up a year so rondo cousins etc etc all become FA again so GS gets broken up lol

screw it

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

Skip is right on that... DeMarcus signed with the Warriors to get a ring. 

12 minutes ago, lavester1906 said:

I can't claim to be a true Warriors fan because I'm not. I'm a Curry fan personally and grew to like Draymond and Klay before their championship status, but still can't call myself a true Warriors fan. Anyways, I just wonder though if the same people who complain about what is going on with this Warriors Dynasty would be complaining about league parity, unfairness, and go on calling players out of their names if THEIR team was the one in the Warrior's position? Things that make you go hmmm....

Of course, we'll never know and most of those people will give some BS answers that they would feel the same, but in the end, I know and so does everybody else, if they're being honest, that most of the hate comes from jealousy and not really this deep rooted belief in NBA fairness. Now I'm not saying that people don't care about league competitiveness, and I actually do myself. But again, I think a lot of people would change their tune and be on the DEFENSIVE instead of the OFFENSIVE if THEIR team was in the midst of great fortune like the Warriors right now....

Well yeah no one would call out their own team, people are selfish and defensive. That’s just human nature.

For me it’s not just about fairness, but about keeping the NBA entertaining. One of the most basic draws of sports is not knowing the outcome, and while in previous years we kinda assumed it would be Cavs/Warriors in the finals, there was at least some drama and unknown involved. This year though, other teams have no chance.

Do you guys enjoy watching Team USA blow out teams by 40 points? Like do you really want to watch that for 82 games plus playoffs? In my experience the novelty of seeing the stars play together wears off quickly and I tune out until they get to the medal games where it’s at least semi competitive.

I'm still a little irritated that this blocks Jordan Bell's value lol.

Oh well, He should still be useful for a couple months at least. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

I disagree with Skip's point/wording. I can understand that every player wants a ring, but people have shifted the narrative into this and that player needing a ring. What is that about... Ridiculous. Possibly feeding into this general spirit.

Edited by Preparing the Kool-Aid

36 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

I think it's a mix of everything. Of the couple of teams that offered him a contract all of them were way below he deserved(because of the injury), so he's mad, unhappy. yes, some of those offer could have been better than the one from warriors but still way to low. If you're going to be unhappy for a whole season w/ any of the offers in your plate, atleast you're going to go with the one that you can get something out of it. With the warriors while is the lowest offer he can get a ring. In the end, be unhappy and get nothing or be unhappy and get a ring.

5 minutes ago, stopmakingsense said:

Well yeah no one would call out their own team, people are selfish and defensive. That’s just human nature.

And that's exactly why I posted what I posted. Some of the hate thrown around just seems way over the top and unnecessary and, because of human nature, wouldn't happen if people were on the other side of the fortune. 

Like I said, I like competitiveness and believe in it wholeheartedly. I just don't think what's going on with the Warriors is that serious, and that's probably because I look at  basketball in a different way. To me, each individual game is its own enjoyment and a mini battle to view. Yes, the Warriors are slated to win the War, but that doesn't take away the enjoyment of just watching these gifted athletes in all of the other games compete at a high level leading up to the playoffs, and hell, the Warriors do lose sometimes, lol. I guess what I'm saying is that who wins the big trophy at the end of the season doesn't define the joy of NBA basketball for me. I love watching the young 76ers & Celtics grow into what they're becoming. I like seeing the Jazz step up in a big way this year due to the brilliant rookie year of Mitchell. I loved seeing the Pelicans get into a groove after Cousins went down and upset the Blazers in the first round. And, I also loved watching Lebron put on one of the most brilliant playoff runs on the back of a single player ever. I even love watching young teams with budding stars like the Suns try to figure things out. 

Simply stated, for me, NBA basketball is much more than who's crowned the champions at the end, and the Warriors aren't the only team playing every night, so what they have going on is incredible in its own right and doesn't diminish my enjoyment of all the other fascinating happenings going on in the league. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, joshua18 said:

When he's 100% in April-June, he'll destroy any team that tries to switch a small guy (i.e. Harden, Paul, Westbrook) onto him.

It is the Warriors answer for the defensive strategy that left them facing elimination twice last year.

Good post. Was thinking more on the offensive side of the ball...

Warriors would have a chance to legitimately sweep the east all star team. Just think about that...

Curry >>> Irving or Wall

Thompson = DeRozan

Durant >>> Hayward

Green << Giannis (You can even make an argument that in terms of fit Green will have an advantage)

Cousins > KCP

You can make changes here or there but the point is, Warriors are still better. Substantially. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, lavester1906 said:

And that's exactly why I posted what I posted. Some of the hate thrown around just seems way over the top and unnecessary and, because of human nature, wouldn't happen if people were on the other side of the fortune. 

Like I said, I like competitiveness and believe in it wholeheartedly. I just don't think what's going on with the Warriors is that serious, and that's probably because I look at  basketball in a different way. To me, each individual game is its own enjoyment and a mini battle to view. Yes, the Warriors are slated to win the War, but that doesn't take away the enjoyment of just watching these gifted athletes in all of the other games compete at a high level leading up to the playoffs, and hell, the Warriors do lose sometimes, lol. I guess what I'm saying is that who wins the big trophy at the end of the season doesn't define the joy of NBA basketball for me. I love watching the young 76ers & Celtics grow into what they're becoming. I like seeing the Jazz step up in a big way this year due to the brilliant rookie year of Mitchell. I loved seeing the Pelicans get into a groove after Cousins went down and upset the Blazers in the first round. And, I also loved watching Lebron put on one of the most brilliant playoff runs on the back of a single player ever. I even love watching young teams with budding stars like the Suns try to figure things out. 

Simply stated, for me, NBA basketball is much more than who's crowned the champions at the end, and the Warriors aren't the only team playing every night, so what they have going on is incredible in its own right and doesn't diminish my enjoyment of all the other fascinating happenings going on in the league. 

Yeah I agree with most of that, and I enjoyed all those moments as well. I guess it just seems a bit contradictory to say you like and believe in competitiveness wholeheartedly, but also don't think it's that serious to have a team so good that the champion is predetermined. I'll still get enjoyment out of watching the best players in the world play basketball, and I'm not trying to say the NBA is ruined or anything that extreme. I just think there are nuanced levels to said enjoyment, and something is lost when inevitability enters into the equation.

31 minutes ago, lavester1906 said:

I watch the NBA during the regular season but, stop watching when the play-offs come around because I hate pre-ordained out comes.

This year in the NHL an expansion team went to the Stanley Cup Finals.  In the NCAA tournament, who had UMBC taking out Virginia?  More than once we've seen a back up quarterback take a team to the Super Bowl.  The point is, to many of us the play-offs and the title game(s) are the preeminent cap stone to a great season.  But for me the NBA play-offs are a let down.    

28 minutes ago, stopmakingsense said:

Yeah I agree with most of that, and I enjoyed all those moments as well. I guess it just seems a bit contradictory to say you like and believe in competitiveness wholeheartedly, but also don't think it's that serious to have a team so good that the champion is predetermined.

I guess when I say it's not that serious is because I still get so much joy out of watching the totality of NBA basketball. I still enjoy the playoff rounds leading up to the inevitable failed slaying of the Warriors Dragon, just to see who ends up with the opportunity (honestly didn't think it was going to be Lebron again at the beginning of the playoffs, lol.) I also know that it is still going to come to an end one way or another, like all previous dynasties. So, yes, it is redundant and yes what the Warriors have built is so far and above everyone else that the playoffs (the Finals, really) aren't that compelling, but I also realize I'm witnessing a piece of NBA basketball history, so I appreciate that for what its worth. 

Having heard more of how this played out, excellent decision from Cousins side.

If noone was willing to offer him what he thought he was worth, he took a low pay in order to heal up, while still being guaranteed a late playoff run (and almost certainly a ring), and freeing up for FA next year when the market's better.

By that time, he could have championship experience, demonstrated that he'd recovered from his injury, and showed that he can play nice even when he's the 4th(?) option on a team. The risk for him pretty low, but the payoff could be an easy ring and a max contract next year.

There's no ifs or buts around this - this was a smart call. Could it blow up if he has a career ending injury his first game back? Absolutely, but that's the risk with any short term contract (even the 2-year one that KD signed).

• Like 1

For some of us, we used to grow up wishing some superstars could play together while they were still in they prime. Heck, some of wish Iverson had help during his finals run. That Carmelo, Iverson deal was too late and we wish Tracy McGrady had some help too, Gilbert Arenas, Gary Payton etc. Now for some of us, you get your wish. You get Durant & Cousins on the same squad. You get Harden & Chris Paul. Kyrie & Hayward, Westbrook & Paul George. The NBA is getting what some of us wished happened years ago for some other players. Like was mentioned earlier, most conversations about Ewing, Barkley, Malone, Iverson, McGrady always start with it end with (“But they never won a ring”). Hell Shaq makes fun of Barkley dang near every night on TNT about that. 

2 hours ago, brosephd said:

assuming IT goes to the magic, brolo lakers, wayne ellington to?

Philly

35 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Chandler should help them get swept in 3 instead of 2 by the Warriors. 

4 hours ago, Apollo_87 said:

Having heard more of how this played out, excellent decision from Cousins side.

If noone was willing to offer him what he thought he was worth, he took a low pay in order to heal up, while still being guaranteed a late playoff run (and almost certainly a ring), and freeing up for FA next year when the market's better.

By that time, he could have championship experience, demonstrated that he'd recovered from his injury, and showed that he can play nice even when he's the 4th(?) option on a team. The risk for him pretty low, but the payoff could be an easy ring and a max contract next year.

There's no ifs or buts around this - this was a smart call. Could it blow up if he has a career ending injury his first game back? Absolutely, but that's the risk with any short term contract (even the 2-year one that KD signed).

The more I ponder on this Cousins addition. For some reason I feel like this will come back to bite Goldenstate some how. In the following season. Everybody is gonna want MAX. All 5 of those starters are all allstars and arguably at least 4 of the 5 could be front runners on their own respective teams. One of those guys is gonna want MAX just for recruiting Durant and Cousins. He wants his payment for that ?.

24 minutes ago, jclee4 said:

The more I ponder on this Cousins addition. For some reason I feel like this will come back to bite Goldenstate some how. In the following season. Everybody is gonna want MAX. All 5 of those starters are all allstars and arguably at least 4 of the 5 could be front runners on their own respective teams. One of those guys is gonna want MAX just for recruiting Durant and Cousins. He wants his payment for that ?.

How on earth will it bite them? They’re paying pennies for him and it’s only a year.