J.T. Marlin

2018 NBA Offseason and Free Agency Thread

2 hours ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

Why is this Clint Capela deal taking so long!

Doesn't he realize he's holding up our mock? What an a**hole.

2 hours ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

Why is this Clint Capela deal taking so long!

Probably waiting for best offer, then Houston matches.

would capela have to get a max offer from someone else for houston not to match?

Edited by colepenhagen

12 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

would capela have to get a max offer from someone else for houston not to match?

Maybe from the Kings who see to be the guys upping everyone's price? Jk

16 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

I have a feeling they'd match a max but are obviously hoping it doesn't come to that.

7 hours ago, colepenhagen said:

Capela's max is $25.5M and no team in the league has that much cap space left. He won't be getting the max; the market has dried up.

He'll have better luck next summer as a UFA after taking the QO this summer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Kaboom said:

Capela's max is $25.5M and no team in the league has that much cap space left. He won't be getting the max; the market has dried up.

Damn if the market is dried up, that means either IT2 is taking a year off or signing a year contract somewhere to prove himself again.

22 hours ago, Kaboom said:

I read he was hoping for 4 years 100 million, Rockets offered 5 for 85, could he be greedy and take the qualifying offer ala nerleans noel and be a financial buffoon?

On 7/10/2018 at 7:33 AM, jay14bay said:

What is going to happen with IT2??

there was news orlando was interested, but it has died down. i think it2 has to accept that he is better suited as a 6th man role than a primary option

22 hours ago, turner46 said:

I read he was hoping for 4 years 100 million, Rockets offered 5 for 85, could he be greedy and take the qualifying offer ala nerleans noel and be a financial buffoon?

Noel was unproven, Capela is worth the money and will get paid with so many teams hoarding cap space for next year. The caveat is always the risk of injury

• Like 1

On 7/10/2018 at 6:26 PM, turner46 said:

Would you bet on yourself for an extra 15 million? That’s the 15 million dollar question. Bet in yourself for an extra 15 million and 1 year less of commitment in hopes of generating another big pay day.

5 minutes ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

Would you bet on yourself for an extra 15 million? That’s the 15 million dollar question. Bet in yourself for an extra 15 million and 1 year less of commitment in hopes of generating another big pay day.

Take the money and run if I were a big man with no outside game.

• Like 1

so it2, a year ago before getting traded, he was talking about not giving Celtics a discount in 2018 summer, and was looking for 200m contract. Now he can't even get a mid level exception.

nerlens noel offered a 70m contract, he turned it down, decided to sign for minimum deal.

Things can change in an instant. Capela should sign his name on the dotted line if he got offered 85m. That's a pretty good deal for a player who can still get paid when this 85m contract is over

Edited by sya
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, sya said:

so it2, a year ago before getting traded, he was talking about not giving Celtics a discount in 2018 summer, and was looking for 200m contract. Now he can't even get a mid level exception.

nerlens noel offered a 70m contract, he turned it down, decided to sign for minimum deal.

Things can change in an instant. Capela should sign his name on the dotted line if he got offered 85m. That's a pretty good deal for a player who can still get paid when this 85m contract is over

i think capela is a good bit better than it2 (undersized guard who cant play d) and noel

but i do agree he should take that type deal if he gets it

19 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

i think capela is a good bit better than it2 (undersized guard who cant play d) and noel

but i do agree he should take that type deal if he gets it

yup he is better, but a lot of things can change in one year. Look at DMC, injury has caused a max player to get what 5m?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, sya said:

yup he is better, but a lot of things can change in one year. Look at DMC, injury has caused a max player to get what 5m?

Well he turned down his 2yr 40 million extension (post injury) so he betting on himself.

I’m sure Houston would love Capela to sign a long term deal at ~17 mil a year. 

If I’m Capela, though, I’m looking at (1) the money DeAndre Jordan just got and (2) all the additional cap space that will be opening up next summer. To me, he’s better than DJ and has youth on his side. He was just unlucky this is the year he became a RFA with the league so cash strapped. So I’m either hunting down a hefty one year deal or signing the qualifying offer.

5/85 isn’t criminal, but I definitely think he could find himself a 4/90+ deal with another team this time next summer, or even leverage himself into a 5/115+ deal to re-up with the Rockets. Unlike Noel, he’s always had a high motor and is tenacious on the boards. Barring injury, he’s a safe bet to make some huge money, regardless of when/where he signs. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Lux Aeterna ll said:

I’m sure Houston would love Capela to sign a long term deal at ~17 mil a year. 

If I’m Capela, though, I’m looking at (1) the money DeAndre Jordan just got and (2) all the additional cap space that will be opening up next summer. To me, he’s better than DJ and has youth on his side. He was just unlucky this is the year he became a RFA with the league so cash strapped. So I’m either hunting down a hefty one year deal or signing the qualifying offer.

5/85 isn’t criminal, but I definitely think he could find himself a 4/90+ deal with another team this time next summer, or even leverage himself into a 5/115+ deal to re-up with the Rockets. Unlike Noel, he’s always had a high motor and is tenacious on the boards. Barring injury, he’s a safe bet to make some huge money, regardless of when/where he signs. 

5/85 is criminal when someone like lavine got 4/80

4 hours ago, Lux Aeterna ll said:

Lol can’t believe the Bulls matched. 

lavine got overpaid, but Bulls didn't have much of a choice, Lavine was a key part of the Jimmy Butler deal so it's hard to justify trading away Butler and just let Lavine walk away after 1 year (more like half year because he was coming back from ACL injury)

2 hours ago, sya said:

lavine got overpaid, but Bulls didn't have much of a choice, Lavine was a key part of the Jimmy Butler deal so it's hard to justify trading away Butler and just let Lavine walk away after 1 year (more like half year because he was coming back from ACL injury)

That sounds like a case of sunk cost fallacy.