Axe Elf

Greg Olsen 2018 Outlook

17 minutes ago, cordovahi said:

Any news on him so far?? Two weeks ago I heard he was coming back after the bye 

no you didnt

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, cordovahi said:

Any news on him so far?? Two weeks ago I heard he was coming back after the bye 

It doesn't seem likely this week since he's yet to practice, just ran. The Panthers seem content for now with Manhertz and Thomas because they've been beasts helping Carolina ascend to a top running game. No point to rush Olsen back when they don't have to. Probably will need a full week of practice before they even think of putting him out there. 

I picked him up last season coming off the broken foot, once back he was out almost immediately, twice I believe.  I stayed away in this year's draft and was not surprised he went out again almost immediately after stepping on someone's foot.  I'd stay away, zeros suck.

• Sad 1

Yeah.  I had Greg Olsen last year - didn't start him at all.  One occasion he scored like crazy of course, when I didn't start him!!  I re-drafted him again this year then dropped him for Kittle.  I'll stay with Kittle for now then go to other options but I'm staying away from Olsen because he's unreliable.

How can this guy come back so quickly...after breaking his foot multiple times? And he's like 33-34 or something...yikes.

No thanks. LONG CMC and Bunches for Funchess. 

29 minutes ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

How can this guy come back so quickly...after breaking his foot multiple times? And he's like 33-34 or something...yikes.

Those NFL drugs man. The same reason Rodgers somehow finished the Bears game on one leg and is STILL playing on it.

"TE Greg Olsen is in shells and a helmet today, per @PanthersBill. Word was he was hoping to play 4-5 weeks after breaking his foot, without surgery. This Sunday would be week 4 in what may be an impressive return." Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) 

Side Note: I have no idea how to embed a tweet, sorry.

Yup was running routes today. I don't think they play him this week but could see week 6 at Wash

Grabbed him without an IR spot...with how weak and unpredictable TE has been this season beyond a few guys, this type of add could be one of the big difference makers of the season for anyone who gets him (especially if they are weak at TE relative to the rest of their team).

Stephania Bell was talking about his injury and recovery a few weeks ago.  She basically said that because he rebroke the same spot, the screw that's already in his foot from last year is acting as a stabilizer for the bone, allowing him to come back without the need for more surgery.  They will need to go in during the off-season and do another procedure but because it's a 4 month recovery from that, there was no reason NOT to try having him just rest and come back, as doing another surgery would have ended his year.  Is there a chance he reinjures his foot again this year?  Of course, but there's also a chance he plays out the rest of the year and manages it fine.  I think he will start practicing next week and we will see him for week 6.

I think it could be a waste of a roster spot if you're starved for roster spots. If you have a deep bench, why not? But, I have 5 bench spots. Can't afford to roster this guy when he's shown not much lately. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

I think it could be a waste of a roster spot if you're starved for roster spots. If you have a deep bench, why not? But, I have 5 bench spots. Can't afford to roster this guy when he's shown not much lately. 

Dude, I only have 4 bench spots.  But it's either him or someone like Chubb, and I decided on him (for now).

12 minutes ago, Sack Exchange said:

olsen has not looked like himself the last several games played, and time may be catching up to him.

here's olsen's route running from today, and while he's patient and weaving through the defense he's clearly not the greg olsen we know:

Giz1Gsc.gif?noredirect

Some nice blocking by #15 though, wow.  :lol:

• Like 1

If you're relying on guys like Watson, McDonald, RSJ, ASJ, Brate, Howard, or any other streaming option. Why wouldn't you scoop him up to see what happens?

I mean he's already had his bye so if he comes back and plays ok, you won't need to roster 2 TE's.

• Like 1

I am excited. Dropped him after his injury, now picked up him again as a FA. Hopefully it can be a nice ride all the way through fantasy playoffs...

22 hours ago, FantaC! said:

If you're relying on guys like Watson, McDonald, RSJ, ASJ, Brate, Howard, or any other streaming option. Why wouldn't you scoop him up to see what happens?

I mean he's already had his bye so if he comes back and plays ok, you won't need to roster 2 TE's.

You will need to roster two TE because he isn't getting better, he is just delaying surgery. Carolina will limit him. I guess if he's a redzone option that's good, but I highly doubt he will have a high snap count. I really don't see this ending well though. His age and the history of this same injury is just not a good situation.

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 11:04 AM, FantaC! said:

I held him most of last year only to not use him in the post-season.  IIRC he had one good game, but he put up donuts the two prior weeks.  In my opinion, you'll do better rostering a couple of decent prospects at a time and seeing what develops.

7 minutes ago, jspeed said:

I held him most of last year only to not use him in the post-season.  IIRC he had one good game, but he put up donuts the two prior weeks.  In my opinion, you'll do better rostering a couple of decent prospects at a time and seeing what develops.

If you have an IR slot that's my one reason to stash...and that is if Foreman isn't available (grab him meow).