Sign in to follow this  
NYR Fan 116894

Tavon Austin 2018 Outlook

Recommended Posts

 

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2018/06/22/tavon-austinsunpredictability-will-one-cowboys-greatest-offensive-strengths-season

 

Quote

The Cowboys are banking on unpredictability being one of their greatest offensive strengths this fall. While watching four weeks of organized team activities and minicamp practices, no player's workload was more difficult to project than Tavon Austin's.

 

The 5-8, 179-pound former top 10 draft pick did individual drills with the receivers and caught punts on special teams, however, he's listed on the roster with the running backs.

 

The coaching staff was careful about how much they featured him during team drills when cameras were around. But the expectation is that he's going to get the ball in a myriad of ways.

 

Offensive coordinator Scott Linehan has mixed in similar players like Lance Dunbar, Ryan Switzer and Lucky Whitehead in both the running and passing game near the line of scrimmage, but Austin's involvement is expected to be much greater.

 

"That was a steal we got," Prescott said. "That's a great guy and a great teammate, a great football player. What he brings to this team, his personality in the locker room, off the field, hanging with guys, and then what he's done on the field and what he's going to do for us on the field will speak for itself.

 

"I'm glad we got him."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You heard it here second.

 

You heard it in the 2018 Sleepers thread first.

 

On 6/11/2018 at 11:27 AM, Axe Elf said:

Tavon Austin is more of a sleeper in Dallas than Allen Hurns.

 

On 6/11/2018 at 12:46 PM, Axe Elf said:

Austin is a former top-10 draft pick with great speed and quickness who can benefit from an offensive line like Dallas has.  In 2015, he tied for the #24 fantasy WR (standard scoring) with rookie Amari Cooper, largely because of his ability to score TDs from anywhere on the field.  He doesn't do much downfield work (they have Hurns for that) but on jet sweeps and screen passes he can be a menace--and the Cowboys don't really have anyone else for that.  They have no TE to speak of, and precious little talent at WR.  I've seen some sites that have Austin listed as an RB, others as a WR, and a few that even have him with dual RB/WR status, so he offers roster flexibility.  He will also be the team's kickoff and punt returner, so if you have a league that scores for individual return TDs and/or yardage, he'll be a plus in that department as well.

 

Bottom line, in most normal-sized leagues I don't know that Austin can be a consistent enough scorer to warrant a roster slot just yet, but he's worth an end-of-the-bench flier in larger leagues, and I'm keeping my eye on how they use him during camp and preseason.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

kid will find his way on to all three of my redraft ppr squads - cheapcheapcheap spec.

 

he's an explosive chap on a squad that is kinda bereft of any, sans the RB.

 

IN.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Told myself I’d never draft him ... the more I look into his projected role, the more it’s getting harder to ignore. Wouldn’t be shocked if he essentially steals Beasley’s role and chips in with a decent amount of rushing yards (he very quietly put up ~300 rushing yards despite Gurley’s RB1 performance last year)

 

50 receptions + 300 rushing yards? Not out of the question he sees 5 targets + 3-5 carries a game considering all the offseason buzz / lack of reliable options elsewhere (outside of Zeke). This guy could be PPR gold if/when he gets RB eligibility (I believe he’s RB on espn already)

 

I expect his ADP rises significantly once the preseason / camp hype builds. Everything is pointing to him having a very significant role in an offense lacking talent in the passing game. I was shocked he put up so much rushing yards last year with Gurley dominating - should be able to meet/exceed that total pretty easily this year. 

 

(His fantasy value is significantly tied to RB eligibility)

Edited by CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To this day I don't know how he got that ridiculous extension.  A guy who had before that extension never even had 500 receiving yards.  He did that year, with 509.  He hasn't ever had even a 1000 yards from scrimmage in a season.  His best is 907 yards in 2015.  His next best total was 668 yards.  He also has a ridiculous amount of fumbles for the amount of times he touches the ball.  Obviously, I do not know how many of the fumbles came on passes vs running.  If you look at just carries for his career, he has 184 and 21 fumbles.   8.7 carries for every fumble.   Well let us factor in the receptions, and you get a total of 378.  Passing or catching, he fumbles every 18 times he touches the ball.

 

For reference, Joe Cribbs had 16 fumbles in 1980 (highest number of fumbles for a RB I found).  He had 306 carries, and 52 receptions, which still turns out a fumble rate of 22.4.  He finished his career with a 30.05 fumble rate, so it did go up a bit.

 

I'm sure there are individuals with higher rates, but I couldn't find a way to search for them on profootball reference.  

 

Saying all that, I'm intrigued enough that I will keep an eye on him.  He was pretty good in college, and I haven't really watched him in a couple years.  Mostly, the attitude of, "he sucks" and didn't take notice if there were any positives coming out of it.

 

 

Edited by Sternes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sternes said:

To this day I don't know how he got that ridiculous extension.  A guy who had before that extension never even had 500 receiving yards.  He did that year, with 509.  He hasn't ever had even a 1000 yards from scrimmage in a season.  His best is 907 yards in 2015.  His next best total was 668 yards.  He also has a ridiculous amount of fumbles for the amount of times he touches the ball.  Obviously, I do not know how many of the fumbles came on passes vs running.  If you look at just carries for his career, he has 184 and 21 fumbles.   8.7 carries for every fumble.   Well let us factor in the receptions, and you get a total of 378.  Passing or catching, he fumbles every 18 times he touches the ball.

 

For reference, Joe Cribbs had 16 fumbles in 1980 (highest number of fumbles for a RB I found).  He had 306 carries, and 52 receptions, which still turns out a fumble rate of 22.4.  He finished his career with a 30.05 fumble rate, so it did go up a bit.

 

I'm sure there are individuals with higher rates, but I couldn't find a way to search for them on profootball reference.  

 

Saying all that, I'm intrigued enough that I will keep an eye on him.  He was pretty good in college, and I haven't really watched him in a couple years.  Mostly, the attitude of, "he sucks" and didn't take notice if there were any positives coming out of it.

 

 

 

From the same mind that gave us: 

 

-Historically bad Jared Goff

-Bad Nick Foles

-Bad Case Keenum

-Subpar Sam Bradford

-Two seasons of pulling Todd Gurley off the field for Benny Cunningham on passing downs 

 

 

Jeff Fisher, ladies and gentlemen!

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

 

From the same mind that gave us: 

 

-Historically bad Jared Goff

-Bad Nick Foles

-Bad Case Keenum

-Subpar Sam Bradford

-Two seasons of pulling Todd Gurley off the field for Benny Cunningham on passing downs 

 

 

Jeff Fisher, ladies and gentlemen!

 

 

 

Was it Fisher who did that?  I recall watching Hard Knocks and Austin running down to the field and telling them he had gotten the extension and Fisher was talking about how he earned it and that was amazing.   Or do you mean in the general sense, that he was there and probably pushed for it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Sternes said:

 

Was it Fisher who did that?  I recall watching Hard Knocks and Austin running down to the field and telling them he had gotten the extension and Fisher was talking about how he earned it and that was amazing.   Or do you mean in the general sense, that he was there and probably pushed for it?

 

Fisher had final say in all personnel decisions. It's the reason he chose the Rams over the Dolphins to be HC. He's tried to back away from that given how horrid his decision-making has been. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, joshua18 said:

 

Fisher had final say in all personnel decisions. It's the reason he chose the Rams over the Dolphins to be HC. He's tried to back away from that given how horrid his decision-making has been. 

 

I did not know that.  Thanks for the info!

 

Can't wait to hear his insight when he does commentary.  :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's got to do.......something, right?   The Cowboys offense is wide open for touches obviously, I dont think there's a wrong answer there in drafts, provided you pay pennies for whatever receiving option you go for.      It could ultimately be a Jacksonville type of situation where a handful of guys share targets and nobody alphas, but if someone does, well, you got that guy for almost nothing.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/20/2018 at 9:47 AM, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

Looks like someone just got Rb/Wr eligibility on Yahoo ... giddy up

 

 

 

Nice perk I guess, but doesn't affect is value much. Not like he has QB eligibility

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

 

Nice perk I guess, but doesn't affect is value much. Not like he has QB eligibility

that would be even more worthless.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He’s being split out, in the slot, in the backfield ... if he has a workload similar to his 2015 with RB eligibility 

 

50 receptions with a few handoffs per game - he’ll be a lovely RB in PPR leagues 

 

*** deep leagues only 

Edited by CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dmb3684 said:

 

Nice perk I guess, but doesn't affect is value much. Not like he has QB eligibility

 

45 minutes ago, Magoo said:

that would be even more worthless.

 

howzabout K eligibilty?

 

we good on that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Magoo said:

that would be even more worthless.

 

Haha ya you are right. Was thinking a QB that had other eligibility. I'm dumb. Carry on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

 

Haha ya you are right. Was thinking a QB that had other eligibility. I'm dumb. Carry on.

lol I figured.  Remember the Pryor hype? I overbought.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2018/08/02/tavon-austin-becoming-spark-plug-wr-group-chip-shoulder-remains-april-trade

 

Quote

Sanjay Lal calls Tavon Austin the "spark plug" of the wide receiver group. His vocal leadership and attention to detail in practice have impressed his new position coach.

 

"That's always been me," Austin said. "You got to respect the game. You can't come out here and just think you're going to do it in the game and not do it in practice."

 

Austin, 28, has been used in a variety of ways through the first five training camp practices in pads. He has lined up in the slot, on the outside and taken handoffs on end-arounds. He's the front-runner to be the team's punt returner.

 

The only thing he hasn't done is line up in the back field. When the Cowboys traded for Austin during this year's draft, they talked about using him as a running back and receiver.

 

"All the things you see me doing out here is pretty much what I'll be doing," Austin said. "I ain't touched the backfield yet, but hopefully, eventually if they need me back there, I'll be back there too."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I wouldn't touch this guy. I find it hard to believe the Cowboys' "brain trust" -- and I use that term very loosely -- is going to be able to get anything out of him that Sean McVay was unable to.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.