Trench Mob

DeAndre Ayton 2018-2019 Season Outlook

They tried feeding Ayton in he 4th when he was being guarded by Marcus Morris and he wasnt aggressive at all. If his first and secondary moves don’t work then hes likely to pass out of the post instead of trying to counter again. He shouldve man handled Morris down there but he didnt. Im not blaming the coach here because they tried to go at the miss match and it wasnt working. With that said, his reluctancy to force shots is what will allow him to be an FG anchor so im not complaining.

I had read that Ayton was Top 10

in post touches and I cant really ask for more from a Rookie. End of game it was all Booker and that was to be expected.

Edited by FantasyBallFan
  • Like 1

Igor is just not the right coach for Ayton`s development. He likes small ball and if the GM doesn`t call to him and discipline his plays with Ayton, the last one barely will touch the ball. DAA stayed 3 or 4 times in first 15 mins alone or in mismatch under the basket and noone pass the ball to him. Canaan thinks he is Kobe or MJ and there is no reaction from the coach. All of this kills his confidence and he declines clean shots and pass outside the ball.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, summersoff7 said:

Beautiful Kanter-esque line in the 1st half: 10/8/0/0.

First 20/20 game of the season coming up?

I doubt he will finish the game with these 3 fouls in the 1st half and against AD.

I am in love with Ayton... do you guys think he will add a little weight and become more physical. I think him not being very physical and bullying in the paint is his only flaw and its not that big of a flaw. He seems to have gotten over powered by some of the bigger/physical C's in the league. Like I said I love his game as a rookie and think he is a bonafide stud who will get better and better. He is only 20 lets not forget that!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IrnMike80 said:

I am in love with Ayton... do you guys think he will add a little weight and become more physical. I think him not being very physical and bullying in the paint is his only flaw and its not that big of a flaw. He seems to have gotten over powered by some of the bigger/physical C's in the league. Like I said I love his game as a rookie and think he is a bonafide stud who will get better and better. He is only 20 lets not forget that!!

One other small flaw could be his defense but who cares about that, right?

1 hour ago, RedRaider27 said:

One other small flaw could be his defense but who cares about that, right?

James harden has had a decent career with zero defense. 

21 minutes ago, aMediumPace said:

Harden is your offense though, his step-back/pace/passing/free throws/threes equals a top 5 offense at worst.

A big-man needs to impact the game defensively to carry a team (unless you're Shaq or Dirk in his prime). It's even more necessary now that a huge chunk of offense is chucking up threes (which ironically makes the rim protector even more obsolete).

1 hour ago, aMediumPace said:

But I think owners drafted him for everything he's providing now & BLOCKS. But....his block number's mediocre and it hurts.

Edited by MysticPeak

6 minutes ago, ellejamil said:

I'm not saying Ayton is not good, but I'd rather have Wendell

Ayton is better. Way more points, rebs ... much better fg% (60 vs. 48). Wendell just gets you 1 more block per game really. And 0.4 3s which is not significant at all because 3s are everywhere. 

Edited by richg24

2 minutes ago, richg24 said:

Ayton is better. Way more points, rebs ... much better fg% (60 vs. 48). Wendell just gets you 1 more block per game really. And 0.4 3s which is not significant at all because 3s are everywhere. 

48% I think is his season-long averages, which includes his duds for the first few games. His last seven was 54% with 15.1 ppg, 10.0 rpg, 2.7 apg, 1.3 spg, 2.1 bpg, 0.6 3s. His FT%, though not high volume at just 4, is a decent 80%. Yeah 3's might be negligible but his stock contribution is quite nice.The only thing I like more with Ayton is his situation in the team.

Just now, hakeemthedream said:

What is your projection for him after ASB? 

Does every rookie blow up after asb?

I think it will be the same production as now - he is already blowing up by any rookie standards. Top 35 value so far, and the only thing anyone can "complain" about is the low block totals. The blocks are more than made up for with the high scoring, points rebs, fg% and high ft% for a Center. I have been extremely pleased and I drafted him in the 4th round...not because he is destroying his ADP (even though is is beating it), but because he does not hurt anywhere...even the elite centers like Gobert and Capela hurt somewhere (ft%), Ayton doesn't - the tradeoff is that right now he isn't blocking much, but he is doing plenty of everything else that you shouldn't be bothered by the blocks. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

From what I've seen, I predict Ayton's value slowly declines over the course of the season.  His defense his much worse than is being talked about right now, and we are going to see more and more games the Suns get whooped because they can't stop the opposing offense from putting up 140 points.  Maybe that's the front office's goal, though?  We'll see, but I packaged, and traded Ayton a couple weeks ago when he ranked about 25 overall, and got a GREAT return for a, then, buy-low KAT.  I'm not saying Ayton's value will plummet, but by season's end, I predict him to finish 40-50 overall.  Ayton is still very sought after, and highly thought of in fantasy basketball circles, so if you agree with what I'm saying here, package him for a safer bet soon before he starts to tire out, get nicked up and his stat lines become more and more hollow double doubles, but lacking in the 3pt, stls, and blocks categories. 

Picture Steven Adams, with more points, and better FT %, but less steals, possibly less blocks, and many more TO's.

With that said, other than Booker, I don't think the Suns expect to win this season.  Even if the majority of their young players develop on the high-side of expectations, they are  still missing that dynamic SF/PF championship teams need to make a play off run.  THAT'S where Zion comes in, since Josh Jackson is predictably looking like a really low efficiency point forward.  They should move Jackson to get an athletic big man to bag up Ayton, and help guard the rim.  Then tank the rest of the season 1 more time, and pray for Zion.  If that happens, Phoenix could be in position to be a force within 2 years, and 3-4 years from now, have one of the best built young teams in the league.

Lastly, a lot of people can't understand why the Suns signed Ariza, and Ryan Anderson, and it's puzzling to watch them play a lot of minutes of losing basketball, and take away opportunity for their prospects to develop.  I think they have these 2 guys as trade pieces for teams that can make a playoff run but need 1 of these 2 experienced players to enhance their team, especially Ariza.  I bet both get moved by the deadline for picks, or players with potential under 22 years old.  

In terms of real life impact, his backup Holmes makes the team better than Sheandre. Contest some shots for a change, big man

Watching this Suns / Sixers game. The gap between him and Embiid right now is astronomical. Kid has a loooooong way to go.

13 hours ago, mmcc1029 said:

He has to be the most boring top 60 player I've ever owned 

He is a bit boring but I like that from a rookie. Rookies are usually very inconsistent. People go nuts over JJJ but he has some trash games as well that Ayton hasn't had so far. If you drafted for blocks I get being a little annoyed. I expected blocks also but having a guy that can score well and carry you in fg% is very important as well. I have won fg% in 4 out of the 5 weeks so far, and my roster is guard heavy, and a bunch of that has to do with Ayton's consistent fg% anchoring on good scoring numbers for a big man. If the blocks do start to come in, then he has no holes except 3s which will develop in the next few years most likely, as is the trend for most bigs now. 

Edited by richg24
  • Like 3