Trench Mob

DeAndre Ayton 2018-2019 Season Outlook

3 hours ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

I've been considering it too. When the hype exceeds the fantasy production... that seems like a good time to cash in. I like his talent, but in redraft, is he honestly that much different than Tristan Thompson? 

6aa533bddc2138365cc5a1e4fc69a005.png

The whole idea that he's going to suddenly start blocking seems a bit hopeful. Blocks seem like an instinctive thing that you either have or you don't... unless his timing is just slightly off (in my pickup days I sometimes found that I was jumping slightly too early, and needed to wait a millisecond before going for the block)

I like Ayton. Probably deserves to be ranked top 50 overall. But if someone wants to pay a premium for a shiny thing... I have a shiny thing for sale. 

Good lord. Ayton's far superior in FG%, FT%, PTS, and even though he's been allergic to blocks, he's much better than TT in that area too. 

This forum sometimes.

• Haha 1

JJJ’s blocks come with a price. He can’t stay out of foul trouble and stay on the floor. Last night, he had 2 fouls and was pulled 49 seconds into the game. I still say Ayton is being coached to not go for blocks in order to avoid foul trouble. It’s not like he doesn’t have the physical ability. 

7 hours ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

I've been considering it too. When the hype exceeds the fantasy production... that seems like a good time to cash in. I like his talent, but in redraft, is he honestly that much different than Tristan Thompson? 

The whole idea that he's going to suddenly start blocking seems a bit hopeful. Blocks seem like an instinctive thing that you either have or you don't... unless his timing is just slightly off (in my pickup days I sometimes found that I was jumping slightly too early, and needed to wait a millisecond before going for the block)

I like Ayton. Probably deserves to be ranked top 50 overall. But if someone wants to pay a premium for a shiny thing... I have a shiny thing for sale. 

You just compared him to TT...i'm done. 

7 hours ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

Right now, Tristan Thompson is a turd covered in gold leaf and wrapped up in a $100 bill.  You're excited for the $100 and the gold leaf is shiny, but underneath all of that, you still have a log of s***.  Yeah his numbers look good, but underneath it all, he's a bad player on a terrible team missing their only good player.

It's pretty laughable to think Ayton and TT are even in the same league.

Are the ankles ok ?

He should be DTD after this... 

Edited by Stefan

2 hours ago, aMediumPace said:

JJJ’s blocks come with a price. He can’t stay out of foul trouble and stay on the floor. Last night, he had 2 fouls and was pulled 49 seconds into the game. I still say Ayton is being coached to not go for blocks in order to avoid foul trouble. It’s not like he doesn’t have the physical ability. 

No it has been well documented that his biggest weakness out of college was low block and steal rates. He doesn't have to be coached NOT to be more active on defense.

I think many here are forgetting that he is a 20 year old rookie. KAT, as a super hyped, nba ready rookie (like Ayton) averaged 13ppg in November and eventually started putting up 20ppg later in the year. Granted, KAT was putting up 2 blks a game consistently from the start, but I think to pigeonhole Ayton as some kid that will never be a decent source of blks is foolish. He averaged 1.9blks in college and much of that came a little later in the season as he acclimated himself (1blk per game in November as a fresh to almost 3blks per game in February)

If Atyon's starting point/floor is 17-10-3 with .8blks and shooting 62pct you ought to be thrilled as I fully expect his numbers to get even better as the season progresses. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rob0403 said:

No it has been well documented that his biggest weakness out of college was low block and steal rates. He doesn't have to be coached NOT to be more active on defense.

Well, I drafted him in my dynasty league , running a punt blocks build , and I couldn’t be happier with his production so far and I look forward to more of it. How many blocks does Jokic have? 1 more than Ayton. Haven’t seen too many people harping on him. 

Ayton compared to Tristan Thompson...I've seen it all now. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, aMediumPace said:

Well, I drafted him in my dynasty league , running a punt blocks build , and I couldn’t be happier with his production so far and I look forward to more of it. How many blocks does Jokic have? 1 more than Ayton. Haven’t seen too many people harping on him. 

Might wanna head on over to his thread then I've seen lots of disappointed owners :lol:

43 minutes ago, aMediumPace said:

I'm not harping on him. Just commenting that you were saying he is being coached NOT to block shots. Don't think we can just go and assume that one my friend.

4 shot attempts was kind of annoying but that is an outlier. He's been averaging 12 shots a game. Hopefully the coaches will instruct their guards to get the Bigs more involved more specifically their talented young Rookie who is going lots of work on the Defensive side of the court. He deserves more than 4 shot attempts!

Edited by Cdub2k

On 11/21/2018 at 10:07 AM, pyro7 said:

he needs a proper pg

i'll say it again. he needs a proper pg. they need to feed him until he vomits.

Just now, aMediumPace said:

Ariza and Crawford combined for 4/19.

Ayton gets 4 shots. 

Burn it to the ground and buy a new Phoenix Suns. 

coach is clearly an idiot

• Like 1

It also didn't help that he was facing Boban.  I wouldn't be surprised if that's one of the first times he's ever played against someone that is taller than he is.  BUT.. on a positive note, he did get some tasty blocks.. :)

I find this funny. 

Player A: 69% fg, 58% ft, 15 pts 12.5 rebs 1.5 assists 1 steal 2 blocks.

Player B: 62% fg, 79% ft, 16.5 pts, 10.5 rebs, 2.5 assists 0.7 steals 0.9 blocks

Player A is Gobert, ranked top 10 and player B is ayton ranked around 35. In my opinion the only significant differences are in fg% ft% and blocks. Rudy wins fg% and gives an extra block per game. Ayton destroys him in ft% and also scores little more and dimes a little more and gobert rebs a little more.

See how small the difference is? Yet gobert was a 2nd rounder and ranked 1st round right now and there are no complaints about him.

I think people need to recognize that ayton is a fantasy beast and will only be improving as this season goes on. 3 blocks last night and 2 steals but finally had a dud scoring night. Top 30 ros imo. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, richg24 said:

I find this funny. 

Player A: 69% fg, 58% ft, 15 pts 12.5 rebs 1.5 assists 1 steal 2 blocks.

Player B: 62% fg, 79% ft, 16.5 pts, 10.5 rebs, 2.5 assists 0.7 steals 0.9 blocks

Player A is Gobert, ranked top 10 and player B is ayton ranked around 35. In my opinion the only significant differences are in fg% ft% and blocks. Rudy wins fg% and gives an extra block per game. Ayton destroys him in ft% and also scores little more and dimes a little more and gobert rebs a little more.

See how small the difference is? Yet gobert was a 2nd rounder and ranked 1st round right now and there are no complaints about him.

I think people need to recognize that ayton is a fantasy beast and will only be improving as this season goes on. 3 blocks last night and 2 steals but finally had a dud scoring night. Top 30 ros imo. 

One problem with this is that Ayton only shoots 2.7 FTs/game. That lack of volume minimizes one of his biggest strengths. Also Gobert having over 2x the blocks of Ayton is a big deal. 

24 minutes ago, MayorMcCheese said:

One problem with this is that Ayton only shoots 2.7 FTs/game. That lack of volume minimizes one of his biggest strengths. Also Gobert having over 2x the blocks of Ayton is a big deal. 

ya 1 block is a big deal I agree, that's why is more valuable. but i just pointed it out to show that ayton also has some big advantage over gobert. 

the difference between 58% ft on just over 6 attempts vs. 79% ft on just under 3 attempts is HUGE. bigger than the difference of 1 block per game average. would you rather have someone who doesn't give you a big advantage in blocks, but doesn't hurt your team at all either (ayton) or someone who destroys ft% (gobert)? I'm taking ayton in everything except punt ft h2h builds. 

also in my above post was wrong about aytons rank being 35, its 17th on yahoo 9 cat right now, only 11 spots behind gobert. 

Edited by richg24