Sign in to follow this  
ToO_BaD

World Cup 2018

Not sure anyone will care or even respond.  Just wanted to comment on how there are a couple big matchups today.  Uruguay vs Russia to determine the winner of Group A.  If Spain beats Morocco and Iran beats Portugal, Portugal will be eliminated from the World Cup despite a brilliant performance by Ronaldo to this point (scoring all 4 of their goals).  If Spain were to lose or draw and Iran were to win, Iran would win Group B.  If Iran wins, Spain would come in 2nd with a draw, but would have to go to tiebreakers with Portugal if Spain were to lose.  Always love the final matches of group stage - other big ones in the days to come, but this is what we have lined up today.  So I would definitely recommend Uruguay/Russia at 10 AM EST, and keeping an eye on both Spain/Morocco and Iran/Portugal at 2 PM EST.  If someone wants to chime in, post who you are rooting for!  Will probably be posting about the big matches of each of the final group stage games.

Portugal is my pick to win this World cup. At the very least, they make the semi finals.

Up-and-down day today.  Rather boring draw between France and Denmark, as both advance 1 and 2 respectively.  Peru scores their first WC goals since 1982.  The second round of matches were far more exciting.  While a slight part of me wanted to see Argentina fail to advance, they get a late goal to squeak through.  Croatia completed the clean sweep of that group.  So far in the round of 16 we will have France vs Argentina, Uruguay vs Portugal (can the one-man show break the, till now, clean sheet of Uruguay?!), Spain vs Russia, and Croatia vs Denmark (the match I want to see most given my Danish heritage).  More exciting matches tomorrow with nothing quite set in stone yet for the two groups.  No guarantees to get in for the anyone in either group tomorrow.

Posted (edited)

You're forgetting the best game of the next round: Brazil vs Germany. Assuming brazil finishes 1st and Germany 2nd.

Belgium-England will be the game to watch. The winner of their group would eventually meet Brazil/Germany. The loser moves to the other side of the bracket, playing the 'easier' game against Mexico/Switzerland.

If i was belgium, i'd strongly consider tanking this game. Lose now, so you can win later.

Edited by predator_05

13 hours ago, predator_05 said:

You're forgetting the best game of the next round: Brazil vs Germany. Assuming brazil finishes 1st and Germany 2nd.

Belgium-England will be the game to watch. The winner of their group would eventually meet Brazil/Germany. The loser moves to the other side of the bracket, playing the 'easier' game against Mexico/Switzerland.

If i was belgium, i'd strongly consider tanking this game. Lose now, so you can win later.

Yeah I haven’t gotten there yet lol more just going round by round in the moment.  I mean technically it’s not even a given that  Mexico or Germany or Brazil makes it through.  

What did I tell you man?  No outcomes were certain yet.  Sweden ends up romping Mexico and wins the group.  Mexico gets by with Germany unable to get it done against Korea.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ToO_BaD said:

What did I tell you man?  No outcomes were certain yet.  Sweden ends up romping Mexico and wins the group.  Mexico gets by with Germany unable to get it done against Korea.

That was one of the greatest moments i have ever witnessed. In the middle of a busy workday, my whole office stopped what they were doing and watched those last 15 minutes. I'm at lunch right now, and its still in the back of my mind...:D

It was surreal. I have never seen fans of a losing team, a team that was totally outplayed, celebrating like crazy at the end of a game. Nobody gave korea a chance in hell of beating Germany, it's one of the biggest upsets ever.

By the way, I don't think two countries will ever be as friendly with each other as Korea and Mexico are on this day. I'm seeing news of people celebrating outside the korean embassy in mexico city, its really funny.

Credit to sweden as well. Showed incredible mental strength to bounce back from a heartbreaking loss against Germany.

Edited by predator_05
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

That was one of the greatest moments i have ever witnessed. In the middle of a busy workday, my whole office stopped what they were doing and watched those last 15 minutes. I'm at lunch right now, and its still in the back of my mind...:D

It was surreal. I have never seen fans of a losing team, a team that was totally outplayed, celebrating like crazy at the end of a game. Nobody gave korea a chance in hell of beating Germany, it's one of the biggest upsets ever.

By the way, I don't think two countries will ever be as friendly with each other as Korea and Mexico are on this day. I'm seeing news of people celebrating outside the korean embassy in mexico city, its really funny.

Credit to sweden as well. Showed incredible mental strength to bounce back from a heartbreaking loss against Germany.

Yeah I also saw stuff about Sweden and Mexico fans celebrating together chanting "bye bye Germany."

Would love to see Serbia and Switzerland win and knock out Brazil.  

Also - Belgium is probably my pick to win.  Being Danish, I would love to see Denmark make a splash in the knockout rounds, but I don't expect anything.  Germany, prior to being eliminated, was another pick for me.

2 hours ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

This World Cup has been awesome so far, no?

Hey!  Welcome to the conversation!  Yes.  While I haven't been as invested from a viewing standpoint (a lot of the games have been at work, but I will make sure to be tuned in come the KO rounds), I love that there is so much up in the air in the final round of group stage games.  

As for tomorrow:  I am most excited for Senegal vs Colombia and England vs Belgium.  Senegal advances with a win or draw.  With a loss, Colombia would be eliminated regardless of what Japan does.  Belgium and England have already booked their tickets, but a win by either will determine the group winner.  I think I heard on the radio that they are tied in like 5 or 6 of the first tie-breaker categories.  My app shows England currently holding the first position, which I think they have via the "fair play" ruling based on which team has less yellow cards.

Here's to the final day of group play!

Posted (edited)

Man tough luck for Senegal.  Honestly felt like they outplayed Colombia - just fell victim to that great jump on the corner.  Really wanted the speed and heart of Senegal to go through, and no African nations will be advancing.  Colombia wins the group, with Japan taking the second spot.

Pretty amazing that at the end of the day, Germany will really only be the big name left out.  A few differences in seeding, but a lot of the teams favored to go through made it.

Edited by ToO_BaD
  • Like 1

Wow what a first match today!  Missed most of it due to the earlier west coast time, but how thrilling!  What a foot save on that PK.  According to FIFA rankings, it is the third biggest upset in WC history, biggest upset in the KO stage.

10 minutes ago, ToO_BaD said:

Wow what a first match today!  Missed most of it due to the earlier west coast time, but how thrilling!  What a foot save on that PK.  According to FIFA rankings, it is the third biggest upset in WC history, biggest upset in the KO stage.

Not sure if its the biggest. I remember South korea beating italy in 2002.

58 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

Not sure if its the biggest. I remember South korea beating italy in 2002.

I can’t remember the exact matchups in the graphic Fox showed, but according to the differential in FIFA world rankings, this was the third biggest upset ever.  It was like a +67 differential.  The top two were both group stage.  One from 2002 and one from 1994 I think.

9 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

:o

Good.  Having Danish background on my dads side, I’m rooting for Denmark.  But I know they are long shots at best.

2 hours ago, ToO_BaD said:

Thrilling? That game was painful.

Didn't need to see an hour of Spain passing the ball around on the Russian side of the pitch--with practically zero chances to show for it.

1 hour ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Thrilling? That game was painful.

Didn't need to see an hour of Spain passing the ball around on the Russian side of the pitch--with practically zero chances to show for it.

Well I was referring more to the ending.  As I said, didn’t get to watch most of it because I’m west coast and slept in.

Second straight game with PKs.  Huge save on that penalty kick in the 116th minute.  I thought it was gonna be over for sure

Let’s go Danish Dynamite!!

Well not quite the finish I was hoping for, but exciting PKs.  Really too bad because Russia would have been a winnable quarterfinal match.  

Would like to see a Belgium/Brazil quarter.

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, ToO_BaD said:

Would like to see a Belgium/Brazil quarter.

Wish granted.

Japan vs Belgium was like a basketball game. Back and forth. Really fun to watch. I had a feeling Belgium would still come back after going 0-2 down, it was a wide open game and their height advantage made them more dangerous on crosses.

Edited by predator_05

16 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

Wish granted.

Japan vs Belgium was like a basketball game. Back and forth. Really fun to watch. I had a feeling Belgium would still come back after going 0-2 down, it was a wide open game and their height advantage made them more dangerous on crosses.

Yeah I was really disappointed that I am at work and our internet decided to take a crap.  Wish I could have caught it.  I hope Belgium takes it to Brazil.  Cannot stand Neymar.  That acting job when the Mexican player stepped on him was ridiculous.  The Golden Era of Belgium stays alive lol.