Sign in to follow this  
ToO_BaD

World Cup 2018

Fitting to end the round of 16 with PKs.  They were pretty entertaining.  A couple great saves and a heartbreaking crossbar hit for that Colombian player.

Quarterfinal matchups will be:

Uruguay vs France and Brazil vs Belgium on July 6th

Sweden vs England and Russia vs Croatia on July 7th

I will predict Uruguay, Belgium, England, and Croatia advancing.  But could see anyone advancing.  Should be some interesting games.

England somehow won on penalties. A first time for everything i guess. They played like cowards though. I'm not sure if they're capable of playing much better than this.

Brazil and France are the best teams left, its a shame they're on the same side of the bracket.

14 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

England somehow won on penalties. A first time for everything i guess. They played like cowards though. I'm not sure if they're capable of playing much better than this.

Brazil and France are the best teams left, its a shame they're on the same side of the bracket.

I think Belgium is better than France, but they have to get past Brazil - which, while I want it to happen, probably won't.

France definitely looking like a contender in that first match.  Belgium taking it to Brazil in the first half.  Hoping they hang on and send them packing.

Well got one of two right.  Great first half for Belgium.  Brazil definitely had a sense of urgency in that second half.  One of the best saves of the tournament by Courtois in stoppage time.  Bye bye Neymar.  France and Belgium in semifinal number 1.  I will change my predictions tomorrow to Sweden and Croatia.  

First time in World Cup history that the semifinals will not have Brazil, Argentina, or Germany.

Belgium were the better team, so that was well deserved. Its a shame we have both France and Belgium on the same side of the bracket, both are easily better than any team you see on the other side.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2018 at 2:09 PM, predator_05 said:

6 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

Belgium were the better team, so that was well deserved. Its a shame we have both France and Belgium on the same side of the bracket, both are easily better than any team you see on the other side.

Belgium or Brazil better? Lol

39 minutes ago, ToO_BaD said:

Belgium or Brazil better? Lol

Belgium much better on the day.

How was the morning game?  Didn’t get to watch it, but was pretty surprised to see a 2-0 blanking of Sweden for England.  Afternoon game just ended regular time and gonna go to 30 minutes of ET.  Not too exciting of a game.  A couple teams that look exhausted after their extended round of 16 games.  Will be interesting to see if anything develops with Subacic with that hamstring.

Sweden-England sucked.

England cruised. Swedes barely put up a fight.

That Croatia-Russia match, though. That was good.

Thank god Croatia won. I don't know what their deal is though: With that roster, they should be playing better. Yet they are barely squeezing by the likes of Russia and Denmark.

Russia played their a** off today. As they should, being the home side and all.

I'm convinced that whoever makes the final on that side of the bracket will get destroyed by France or belgium.

Given how England took care of Sweden, I think they will handle Croatia - especially if Croatia plays the way they have the last couple matches.  I know they get a few days to rest, but they’ve played two straight PK matches and they got beat up in the game today.  

Excited for the matchup today.  Two best teams left, and the winner of this match is my favorite to win it all.

6 hours ago, ToO_BaD said:

Excited for the matchup today.  Two best teams left, and the winner of this match is my favorite to win it all.

I'm happy as long as England doesn't win.

France haven't been great in this tournament, but they have the best team. Theirs for the taking.

16 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

I'm happy as long as England doesn't win.

France haven't been great in this tournament, but they have the best team. Theirs for the taking.

Yeah hopefully Croatia got some rest because they had two straight PK matches and got beat up against Russia.  

8 minutes ago, ToO_BaD said:

Yeah hopefully Croatia got some rest because they had two straight PK matches and got beat up against Russia.  

Can you imagine how nervous those 2 teams are? They never play in games this big. Biggest day of their lives, i'd imagine.

• Like 1

Glad to see Croatia win.  Would not have enjoyed a France/England final.  Didn't get to watch a whole lot of the game, but from some highlights I saw of the first half, Croatia seemed to be lucky they weren't down more than 1-0 at half.  Was kind of hoping for some PKs so that England could have another chance to relive their PK woes.  But Croatia scores one later in ET to steal it 2-1.  France and Croatia in the finals!

That was ******** heroic from croatia.

Think about this:

- Croatia were drawn in a harder group, no easy games. Had to beat Argentina to win the group, which they did.

- Croatia played two back to back 120 minute games against Denmark and Russia.

- England had the easiest group - all they had to do was beat lowly Panama and Tunisia, which they did quite comfortably.

- England rested most of their starting lineup in their third group game against Belgium. They won their QF in regulation time.

So England essentially, in terms of total minutes - had played almost a match and a half less than Croatia to get this far.

I checked the odds yesterday, England were 8/13 to win. Everyone expected the well-rested team to win this game, and rightly so.

But the extra rest didn't count for s---. Why? Croatia played their a** off, they played like their lives depended on it.

They never panicked after going 0-1 down in the first 5 minutes. They were brave enough to leave more players up front; never afraid to concede another goal. They trusted their defense, they were confident in 1x1 situations. Their midfielders chased down every ball, every loose ball was kept inside and played forward. Goalkeeper looked like he had ice in his veins, never looked like making a mistake.

The game went to extra time, but Croatia never stopped attacking. They didn't want this to go to penalties. They kept pushing. And they finally broke England. They also broke the cameraman's equipment after scoring the winning goal, but repaid him with a sloppy kiss. Amusing.

Croatia are warriors, they are heroes. Whatever happens in the final, they earned the world's respect and they'll always be seen as heroes.

Edited by predator_05

Lol yeah I saw that with the cameraman.  Pretty funny.  I remember them saying that Croatia would need to help Modric, and they definitely have.  Would be nice for him, Subasic, and Mandzukic to win this (could conceivably any of their last WC).