smeeze

Aaron Jones 2018 Outlook

sywzLEC.png

Green Bay Packers 2018 running back production:

oNoYQ62.png

It's tough to sort through the mess but it appears that early fantasy drafters expect Jones to lead this backfield as his ADP has jumped almost 4 rounds since February, while Williams and Montgomery have both free-falled in June:

OtOXZFM.png

Generally in these situations where there's no clear workhorse RB on a good offense, I like to go for the cheapest option. Aaron Jones has me re-thinking this as he could end up being a significant value where he's getting drafted and, in my opinion has the best chance of being a true workhorse RB of the three.

Who ya got?

It's pretty clear that Aaron Jones is the best pure runner but Jamaal Williams might be the best bet to lead the team in snaps and touches.  JW is the best pass blocking RB plus he seems to be durable enough to handle the biggest workload.  Solid receiving RB too (not as good as TyMont but seemingly a lot better than Jones).

• Like 1

On 6/25/2018 at 3:36 PM, J.T. Marlin said:

It's pretty clear that Aaron Jones is the best pure runner but Jamaal Williams might be the best bet to lead the team in snaps and touches.  JW is the best pass blocking RB plus he seems to be durable enough to handle the biggest workload.  Solid receiving RB too (not as good as TyMont but seemingly a lot better than Jones).

I think that's a bit overblown.  Williams had a few receptions taken to the house with good blocking and a wide open field.  They're both competant receivers.

6 hours ago, RMJ_12 said:

I think that's a bit overblown.  Williams had a few receptions taken to the house with good blocking and a wide open field.  They're both competant receivers.

Idk man that 9 receptions on 18 targets for 22 yards is pretty damn ugly lol

On 6/25/2018 at 3:36 PM, J.T. Marlin said:

I see nothing clear in GB's backfield. It's as foggy as the Raiders' backfield, though in GB there are 3 RBs, on the Raiders, 4 RBs.

Seems to me, there are few backfields as murky as these two. Maybe Cleveland. Always the Patriots. For us, the talent seems clear, and we can anticipate usage, but predicting how the coaches act and react is in itself a fantasy.

Currently entertaining the idea of making a trade to acquire back to back picks in my keeper to draft both Jones and Williams.   I like both players a bit, and i think if they're around when i'm coming due in the 4th, I'll consider it.     They'd be my RB4 in that scenario (thanks to keepers),    I feel like these two should be ahead of TyMont- who's role doesn't seem to be set- is he a WR, RB, or both?   I dont think he'll be a full time RB, at best some type of hybrid, and i dont see that as a threat.

Source: USA TODAY NETWORK-Wisconsin - Aaron Nagler

Green Bay Packers RB Aaron Jones needs to improve his work in pass protection to see more time on the field, according to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel's Aaron Nagler, who says Jones is lagging behind RB Jamaal Williams in that department.

https://www.packersnews.com/videos/sports/nfl/packers/2018/06/27/aaron-nagler-chat-pass-pro-only-potential-stumbling-block-aaron-jones-breakout/740317002/?ck_subscriber_id=86523919

The GB backfield will be an interesting one to watch during the pre-season as it is a cluster **** at the moment. If he is able to remain healthy (a big if), I suspect that Monty might be the only one worth taking a risk on at his current ADP. If I were to draft tomorrow, I would probably pass on both Jones and Williams.

He just got suspended 2 games for substance abuse.  Unbelievable.

8 minutes ago, RMJ_12 said:

He just got suspended 2 games for substance abuse.  Unbelievable.

LACEY TIME!

(oh, and gimme a heaping helping of thie Williams kid in the interim)

On 6/25/2018 at 1:36 PM, J.T. Marlin said:

When you've already got Montgomery in the 9th rd of all your PPR drafts:

tumblr_inline_n0u7ifWFEg1rcmea6.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Jones or Williams could be a league winner this year (late round guy that puts you over the top), but who knows how this backfield will play out. It will probably take an injury to one of them to make the other relevant.

Opens the door even wider for Jamaal Williams imo.

8 minutes ago, devaster said:

Opens the door even wider for Jamaal Williams imo.

Agreed. Packers open the season with home division games against the Bears and Vikings. Like that they're at home and those should be competitive games, but both teams have solid run defenses. 

Wonder how JW ‘s adp is affected by this. If there’s a slight increase I’m fine with that and draft him hoping he can ball out while jones is suspended. However, if people get crazy and start drafting this guy in the 4/5th Ima have to pass. Still seems likely that it’s a rbbc

This guy.

You will get him cheap.

He will win you a trophy.

• Like 1

DEFINITELY keeping my eye on him.

• Like 1

Apparently Jones was far better than Williams last year in every category except pass blocking.

• Like 2

The talent and upside is there it’s just a question of opportunity. As my 4th RB I like him as a dart throw since he doesn’t need an injury to takeover the starting job and he has the talent to put up decent numbers even as part of a rbbc (if he somehow wins the job your looking at a RB1). I’m surprised he and Williams aren’t that far apart but that may change as season gets closer. 

I’m curious which of the 3 RBs would be the preferred goal line back since that role alone gives flex value in this offense. 

14 hours ago, Jaw1 said:

The talent and upside is there it’s just a question of opportunity. As my 4th RB I like him as a dart throw since he doesn’t need an injury to takeover the starting job and he has the talent to put up decent numbers even as part of a rbbc (if he somehow wins the job your looking at a RB1). I’m surprised he and Williams aren’t that far apart but that may change as season gets closer. 

I’m curious which of the 3 RBs would be the preferred goal line back since that role alone gives flex value in this offense. 

Id probably say jones honestly, someone should look up stats on this. Im to lazy to do it myself. 

56 minutes ago, NYR Fan 116894 said:

Missing time is never good, but the dude isn't eligible to play in a game until September 23rd. I imagine the hammy will be plenty loose by then. 

I  much prefer Jones over Monty and Williams.  Outside of Kamara, he was the league's most explosive back gaining 15+ yards on 9.9% of his runs.  Williams was on the other side of that stat, gaining 15 yards on just 1% of his runs (league worst among backs with 100 carries).  If he can stay on the field, he's a substantially better runner than either Monty (not really a RB) or Williams (slow 3.5 YPC plodder).

• Like 1

So according to Silva (who bumped Williams wayyy up his RB rankings), Williams has "ran away with the starting job".  Seems like an exaggeration considering he hasn't really done much of anything this preseason, and has been nursing some injury issues of his own.

McCarthy's recent statements are worrisome, but also just sound like typical coach-speak leading up to the opener.  

How are you guys feeling as Jones as a potential sleeper worth stashing on your bench?  Still feel the same or would that lottery ticket be better spent on other RBs like Brieda, Bilal Powell, Clement, etc...

• Like 1