smeeze

Aaron Jones 2018 Outlook

54 minutes ago, ccimore said:

While Jones was injured, Williams had several very productive weeks as the lead back.  

Right. I'm in your corner. Last year Green Bay had a banged up line and a QB who needed all the time he could get to make his reads. Who got the call when everyone was healthy? Williams. Now Rodgers needs all the time he can get. One guy was a Top 5 blocker last year; another only admits he struggles. 

Jones showed to be a much better runner than Williams, yet despite that Williams got most of the snaps. There's a reason for that. Hopefully Jones makes some big strides; I'd love for him to be our featured back. But he has a ways to go, despite what the box score watchers in here say. 

5 minutes ago, Panthor said:

the thread isn't talking about the first 2 weeks though. 

and as for Williams not putting the issue to bed, he quite possibly just went up against the 2 top defenses in the NFL this year.  are people actually going to try to use that against him?

Well the person I quoted was asking why people were surprised, I was just stating that nothing surprising has happened in this backfield so far, it's gone exactly as expected.

To continue on though, I would not be surprised about any outcome from here on, Jones could be lead or Williams could be... It's just wait and see situation.  It could be a split all season.

The only surprising thing that could happen is if Montgomery takes over.

3 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

Right. I'm in your corner. Last year Green Bay had a banged up line and a QB who needed all the time he could get to make his reads. Who got the call when everyone was healthy? Williams. Now Rodgers needs all the time he can get. One guy was a Top 5 blocker last year; another only admits he struggles. 

Jones showed to be a much better runner than Williams, yet despite that Williams got most of the snaps. There's a reason for that. Hopefully Jones makes some big strides; I'd love for him to be our featured back. But he has a ways to go, despite what the box score watchers in here say. 

Williams did not get the call when everyone was healthy and he was the only healthy running back in Green Bay when he was the starter. Jones was dealing with an MCL injury and Montgomery had fractured ribs as well as a wrist injury. 

It's also comical that you call Jones fans "box score watchers" when all Williams fans have to fall back on are the fantasy points he scored for a few weeks and the fact he can pass protect. Jones LOOKS like an explosive NFL runner while Williams looks like Robert Turbin. The reason why most people believe Jones will overtake Williams is because they've actually watched the two of them play.

5 minutes ago, Kyle87 said:

Well the person I quoted was asking why people were surprised, I was just stating that nothing surprising has happened in this backfield so far, it's gone exactly as expected.

To continue on though, I would not be surprised about any outcome from here on, Jones could be lead or Williams could be... It's just wait and see situation.  It could be a split all season.

The only surprising thing that could happen is if Montgomery takes over.

actually wouldn't be surprised if Monte took over either, his usage last year before getting hurt was at  a historic pace

4 minutes ago, munde53 said:

Williams did not get the call when everyone was healthy and he was the only healthy running back in Green Bay when he was the starter. Jones was dealing with an MCL injury and Montgomery had fractured ribs as well as a wrist injury. 

It's also comical that you call Jones fans "box score watchers" when all Williams fans have to fall back on are the fantasy points he scored for a few weeks and the fact he can pass protect. Jones LOOKS like an explosive NFL runner while Williams looks like Robert Turbin. The reason why most people believe Jones will overtake Williams is because they've actually watched the two of them play.

i agree with most of what you say but a correction does need to be made, Williams was clearly next in line after Monte went down.  just so happened he went down shortly after in the same game. 

1 minute ago, Panthor said:

i agree with most of what you say but a correction does need to be made, Williams was clearly next in line after Monte went down.  just so happened he went down shortly after in the same game. 

Not exactly sure you corrected?

Williams was the higher draft pick and like all the Williams believers keep pointing out he is good in pass protection. Those two reasons are why he was in the game ahead of Jones not because of talent. Williams and Montgomery were injured in Week 4 which gave Jones the opportunity to steal the job which he did. Williams practiced in full leading up to week 5 yet Jones still started ahead of him and thrived (125 yards rushing). With the exception of week 9 when the Packers were playing catch up the entire game Jones dominated the backfield. Jones then injured his MCL in week 10 which allowed Williams to become the lead back. Jones was never healthy for the remainder of the season.

Jones was the lead back when Williams was healthy. Williams was never the lead back when Jones was 100% healthy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, munde53 said:

Jones was the lead back when Williams was healthy. Williams was never the lead back when Jones was 100% healthy. 

Convenient little caveat; no one is ever 100% healthy. Jones suited up Weeks 13-16 and was outsnapped. You really think if he wasn't able to go they'd suit him up in a lost season? Even in the games he played he'd rip off a long run and then was sat back down. Tell me why, since you watch. 

43 minutes ago, Panthor said:

Correct. I was in the stands for that game. Pretty much everyone watching agreed that jones looked way better than wiliams. It was a noticable difference. That game is what started the beleif of jones>>>williams.

Just now, Slatykamora said:

Correct. I was in the stands for that game. Pretty much everyone watching agreed that jones looked way better than wiliams. It was a noticable difference. That game is what started the beleif of jones>>>williams.

Jones is definitely the best runner in that group. His vision is an obvious tier above Williams and Montgomery.

3 minutes ago, Slatykamora said:

This guy goes to football games.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Slatykamora said:

It was only because Williams had already crushed the defenses spirit with his elite pass blocks by the time Jones came in.

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, em33 said:

So this is the back to own right?

No, he’s apparently not good at pass protection.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, smetana34 said:

Convenient little caveat; no one is ever 100% healthy.

Cool. The fact still stands that Jones was dealing with an MCL injury from week 10 onward.

Jones suited up Weeks 13-16 and was outsnapped. You really think if he wasn't able to go they'd suit him up in a lost season?

Montgomery had fractured ribs and a wrist injury that eventually landed him on the IR in week 13. The Packers kept using Montgomery because they needed running backs with Jones injured. Once Montgomery was placed on the IR this forced Jones to rush back and the Packers decided to used him in a COP role to keep him healthy enough to be active on game days.

The Packers were in playoff contention right up until week 16 which is why they activated Rodgers after week 14 and started him in week 15. It was far from a lost season.

Even in the games he played he'd rip off a long run and then was sat back down. Tell me why, since you watch. 

Because he was still injured. The Packers were attempting to keep him as healthy as possible by using him as little as possible with the hope that he would be back to full strength for the playoffs. It's kind of funny that you bring up that he was ripping off long runs despite battling a knee injury because even with a bum knee he was still a more explosive runner than Williams. 

The fact remains that Williams has held the job for two weeks and done absolutely nothing (fantasy wise) with them.  Snagged me 4 & then 9 points in my PPR.  Not rosterable.  It's only going to get worse with Jones back, although the jury is currently out on whether he'll be rosterable either.  This backfield may be one in which you really don't want any part of.

I'm not a Jones owner anywhere, just being honest.

2 hours ago, Atariboy78 said:

The fact remains that Williams has held the job for two weeks and done absolutely nothing (fantasy wise) with them.  Snagged me 4 & then 9 points in my PPR.  Not rosterable.  It's only going to get worse with Jones back, although the jury is currently out on whether he'll be rosterable either.  This backfield may be one in which you really don't want any part of.

In defense of Williams, the Packers faced Minnesota and Chicago, who have arguably two of the toughest defensive fronts in the league. I own Jones but there's no way I'm starting him until he's won the job. He has league winner potential, but he's gotta stay healthy and win the job. 

5 hours ago, Atariboy78 said:

Yep this is my take on the situation as well.  I have one share of Jones but I'm not really honestly expecting even RB2 average numbers from week 3-16.  I'm hoping for it (as a packer fan and a fantasy owner) but not really expecting it.  The Packers have 3 serviceable RB's now and I expect them all to be used because that's just how the modern NFL works when you have those options.

All that being said I feel Jones is the only one that has a chance and being fantasy relevant of the three at this point.  He just needs to come out swinging this Sunday.  So far the Packers run game has looked pretty sad.  Last week when they had a chance to run out a lot of clock for a win they opted to throw for the end-zone twice rather than run it twice... that's a product of the severe lack of trust and effectiveness of the current run game.

Bottom line:

Jones has a chance at being relevant

Other 2 do not

Most likely they'll all be next to worthless because of the shared backfield.

Wake up and all the Williams guys are in our thread?  Hey what's going on? Nothing has changed.  It's all pass blocking now adays ?

Anyone rolling him out this week? Or are we (Aaron Jones owners) waiting to see how he looks this week first? Next week is a juicy matchup at home against the Bills.

4 minutes ago, vinnyw28 said:

Anyone rolling him out this week? Or are we (Aaron Jones owners) waiting to see how he looks this week first? Next week is a juicy matchup at home against the Bills.

Well you can't really play a guy unless you have an idea of how he's going to be used. In this case we don't. So don;t start him unless you have no other choice

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, vinnyw28 said:

He'll be on my bench until I see his usage. I doubt he gets a lot of touches this week, so let's hope he makes the best of them and then can eat next week in Buffalo.

Could be a really good contrarian type of play if you're doing DFS, but there is 0% chance I would trust him in a season-long league.