smeeze

Aaron Jones 2018 Outlook

36 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

When he continually does that, with a banged up Rodgers, he is. He's not coming off the field much for two guys that are adequate at best in pass pro. Jones is the best runner though; no disputing that.

So how many plays did he actually end up pass blocking on?   And where does this notion that Aaron Jones can't pass block come from? 

i get that you like the flashier back and dont want to give him any credit for his skills at pass blocking or the fact he faced arguably the best 2 run Ds and did well but it is what it is....as long as rodgers is on one leg you wont be seeing less of williams any time soon

Edited by phatrat
Personal attack removed
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Power-O said:

i get that you like the flashier back and dont want to give him any credit for his skills at pass blocking or the fact he faced arguably the best 2 run Ds and did well but it is what it is....as long as rodgers is on one leg you wont be seeing less of williams any time soon

Where in any Jones, Williams thread does anyone suggest Williams isnt a good pass blocker?  I'm pretty sure everyone gives the guy credit for pass blocking. 

5 minutes ago, Bugs bunny said:

So how many plays did he actually end up pass blocking on?   And where does this notion that Aaron Jones can't pass block come from? 

Straight from the horses mouth?

https://www.totalpackers.com/2018/07/aaron-jones-focusing-on-pass-protection/

You have a Packer avatar. Do you not follow them, like at all?

1 hour ago, Power-O said:

The exact same could be said of Williams believers. 

Williams has never looked good on an NFL field with the exception of in pass blocking.

1 hour ago, smetana34 said:

When he continually does that, with a banged up Rodgers, he is. He's not coming off the field much for two guys that are adequate at best in pass pro. Jones is the best runner though; no disputing that.

For some reason, I was expecting a clip of him running.

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Tommy Lee Jones said:

Again with the pass blocking lmao.  So much unintentional comedy in these Green Bay RB threads.

Yeah I don't get it, if that's all the RB in Green Bay was needed for they would sign a full back or hire a lineman and designated him as a back for the season.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, munde53 said:

The exact same could be said of Williams believers. 

Williams has never looked good on an NFL field with the exception of in pass blocking.

Look honestly i agree with you 100% that the better runner should be the guy but the truth is that pass blocking always wins...remember knoshown moreno and montee ball lol isolated incident but we all said the same things about him and he never let that job go 

Edited by Power-O

28 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

Straight from the horses mouth?

https://www.totalpackers.com/2018/07/aaron-jones-focusing-on-pass-protection/

You have a Packer avatar. Do you not follow them, like at all?

And your take from that article is that he can't pass block?  What I understand from it,  is that he's improving and working hard to improve just like most young backs do.  He's young.  Most young backs need work in pass pro.  Why don't you pull up the article with Rodgers saying how much he's improved over the off season and how impressed Rodgers is.  I don't need to because yes I follow the Packers. 

17 minutes ago, Power-O said:

Look honestly i agree with you 100% that the better runner should be the guy but the truth is that pass blocking always wins...remember knoshown moreno and montee ball lol isolated incident but we all said the same things about him and he never let that job go 

Not comparable situations at all.

Moreno was an oft injured former 1st round pick who was a backup for most of his career. Ball had major ball security issues, couldn't block, and did look like any better of a runner than Moreno. Ball was also a rookie transitioning to the NFL. 

Literally the only similar thing is that Williams looks to be a better pass blocker than Jones at this point. However, we haven't seen Jones this year in pass protection so we don't know if Williams is really that much better than Jones in that area. We do know that Williams still isn't a very good runner. 

Starting him next week. Thanks to Freeman and Bell picks lol. I don’t see why he can’t at least get a TD 

26 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

Starting him next week. Thanks to Freeman and Bell picks lol. I don’t see why he can’t at least get a TD 

I want to start him as well but have my reservations. 

Its gonna be hard for Jones to be a starter on your team without an injury.  William and Montgomery will play some, capping his ceiling.  Without an injury I see Jones getting only 10 to 15 touches a game max, which is like a flex.

14 minutes ago, kp96 said:

Its gonna be hard for Jones to be a starter on your team without an injury.  William and Montgomery will play some, capping his ceiling.  Without an injury I see Jones getting only 10 to 15 touches a game max, which is like a flex.

Sounds like a great guy to start in your flex. I'd imagine most people that drafted him didn't draft him as their starting RB1 or RB2 but more as a back with both RB2 and RB 1 upside.  If that happens it would be great to pair up with the other backs you drafted.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bugs bunny said:

Sounds like a great guy to start in your flex. I'd imagine most people that drafted him didn't draft him as their starting RB1 or RB2 but more as a back with both RB2 and RB 1 upside.  If that happens it would be great to pair up with the other backs you drafted.  

I drafted him as my 4th rb in rnd 12 or something with the thought of maybe he could be my flex when he gets back. If you drafted him as a rb2 youre in trouble. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NInsko said:

I drafted him as my 4th rb in rnd 12 or something with the thought of maybe he could be my flex when he gets back. If you drafted him as a rb2 youre in trouble. 

Yep same here.  Good to have plans. 

6 hours ago, munde53 said:

He had 19 touches which is four more than he had in week 1. His 16 carries in week 2 were tied for 7th most by a running back in week 2 (prior to Monday Night) and I'm willing to bet his 19 total touches is in the top 10 for running backs as well. 

He was not game scripted out, his usage was there, he just isn't good. 

I was sure that you were wrong about the carries but you’re not.    He’s 10th in the league.

I do stand by my comments about the tough matchups.

I think he’s better than his stats for the first 2 games suggest but agree that he’s not good.

Edited by K197040

11 hours ago, NInsko said:

Nobody drafted him as their RB2 unless they went zero RB (which would have been crazy this year with RB so thin and WR so deep).  My point was only that, if all 3 RBs are healthy I doubt they will turn any of them into a bellcow.  I think the snap count will be similar to the Ravens at best, with Williams and TyMont sharing the Buck Allen role.  This is in a best case scenario for Jones without injury.

14 hours ago, munde53 said:

Not comparable situations at all.

Moreno was an oft injured former 1st round pick who was a backup for most of his career. Ball had major ball security issues, couldn't block, and did look like any better of a runner than Moreno. Ball was also a rookie transitioning to the NFL. 

Literally the only similar thing is that Williams looks to be a better pass blocker than Jones at this point. However, we haven't seen Jones this year in pass protection so we don't know if Williams is really that much better than Jones in that area. We do know that Williams still isn't a very good runner. 

Williams = JAG

I've yet to see any sort of big play ability or explosive skill set. Last season, I drafted Williams as a flier. If I remember correctly, it was a close call between Jones and Williams for backup to TyMont, which is a coveted spot on the Green Bay offense. A lot of "experts" said Williams was the guy but I will never forget the first few carries Jones had after seeing Williams plod away. I knew, almost immediately, I got the wrong guy. Jones is a better running back. The Packers know this and if they want to win games and help out Rodgers with a running game, Jones will be on the field. 

LOL is anyone getting deja  vu all over again, we got the Aaron Jones owners versus the WIlliams Owner's, only thing that is put to bed are those pesky Ty Monty owners, even his staunchest supporters know his fantasy career has likely ended.

As far as fantasy goes Williams did very little to help my team. I will sip the Jones Kool Aid all week lol

If I have to go with one of the 3 I'm going with the one that has the most talent and upside, and that is Aaron Jones.

Typically these situations have a way of unfolding to where talent eventually wins out. It's just going to require some patience.

It will be interesting to see how much work Jones gets his first couple of games back. I would think Green Bay would prefer to run the ball effectively to preserve the health of Rodgers.