smeeze

Aaron Jones 2018 Outlook

1 hour ago, jccouger said:

People in here thinking an extra yard per carry (15-20 carries per game = 15-20 extra yards per game) is more important than keeping the best QB ever healthy. LOL. 

Pass blocking is by far the most important aspect in Green Bay's offense for the RB position. 

This is William's backfield. 

While I don't entirely disagree with you, it's not William's backfield at all.  At best he will be part of a committee.  He's not that effective and let's not act like it's impossible for a player to study blocking assignments when injured, then come back and work on them.  Aaron Jones is talented and will see the field, it's just a question of how much.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, munde53 said:

Williams is the perfect example of a guy you have on your fantasy roster that you never want to have to start but one that probably shouldn't be on waivers either. He's the guy that just clogs up your bench for the entire season that you hope you never have to start. These are the kind of players that I absolutely hate rostering. Very little upside (if at all) but a guy who you never really want to drop.

Jones is the perfect example of a talented guy that if given a decent workload could turn into a league winner. A guy that you don't feel bad about rostering on the edge of your bench because you know if he hits, he'll hit big. He has great upside but his floor is admittedly very low. He's in my opinion the perfect kind of player you want to stash on your bench. 

You nailed it and that's exactly why I'm actively trying to trade him.  This moment in time (i.e., between weeks 2 and 3) might be the highest his stock gets.  He's coming off suspension and on one of the best offenses in the league - there is that hype/excitement around the unknown that he could bring right now.  If he lays an egg on Sunday, his value vanishes into thin air.

When was the last time GB had a RB that showed long-term fantasy value?   Lacy?  Not saying he can't be great, but these guys churn through RBs similar to New England, it's a very fluid situation that is not great for fantasy purposes.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JJ1223 said:

You nailed it and that's exactly why I'm actively trying to trade him.  This moment in time (i.e., between weeks 2 and 3) might be the highest his stock gets.  He's coming off suspension and on one of the best offenses in the league - there is that hype/excitement around the unknown that he could bring right now.  If he lays an egg on Sunday, his value vanishes into thin air.

When was the last time GB had a RB that showed long-term fantasy value?   Lacy?  Not saying he can't be great, but these guys churn through RBs similar to New England, it's a very fluid situation that is not great for fantasy purposes.

Do they churn through rbs though?  Since 2010, its essentially been Lacy, Montgomery and Starks.  Yes injuries have forced the likes of Brandon Jackson or alexander Green to get involved over the years but I see a team that hasn't exactly had a rb to commit to due to various reasons(typically injuries).  I wouldn't say they churn through rbs.

lacy was a beast his rookie year...i remember it because i regretted so badly for taking lamar miller over him lol The packers want a main guy...

Edited by Power-O

Keep in mind that a threatening run game would help Rodgers just as much if not more than good pass blocking. 

I'm getting real tired of the Williams is a good pass blocker therefore better argument.  If that's your best argument for the guy that's pretty weak.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Kyle87 said:

Keep in mind that a threatening run game would help Rodgers just as much if not more than good pass blocking. 

I'm getting real tired of the Williams is a good pass blocker therefore better argument.  If that's your best argument for the guy that's pretty weak.

that's a pretty big argument for just about every RB out there and has kept plenty of "less" talented guys in the game.  while it certainly doesn't mean he won't see the field it certainly limits his upside and play calling for GB.  because it tells the defense it is a run regardless of the formation when he is out there. while with Williams it could still mean pass or run.  bottom line is this, if Jones can't show to be at least adequate at pass protection, his role is going to limited in the offense. because at the end of the day,  they can win with Wiliiams running the ball but they can't win if Kizer is throwing the ball.  could see a scenario of Williams between the 20s and Jones coming in for the red zone and GL

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JJ1223 said:

C'Ahman Green Man

1 hour ago, JJ1223 said:

that would be last year, each of those guys Monte, Williams, and Jones all showed season long value at one point but each one got hurt, and it turned into next man up.  the narrative  that it is a ferris wheel is incorrect.  there was no platoon, they just couldn't stay healthy

10 minutes ago, Panthor said:

that would be last year, each of those guys Monte, Williams, and Jones all showed season long value at one point but each one got hurt, and it turned into next man up.  the narrative  that it is a ferris wheel is incorrect.  there was no platoon, they just couldn't stay healthy

Okay, let me rephrase: When was the last time GB had a RB that actually had long-term fantasy value?  The point you made is exactly the same point I'm making: last year they had 3 different RBs that made 4+ starts.  They year before that was the same exact thing, 3 different RBs made 4+ starts.  The year before that it was all Lacy and he stunk.  You have to go back to 2014 to find a GB RB that actually had value for more than a couple of weeks.  I'm not expecting that to suddenly change, especially when they have 3 backs on the roster that are all pretty good in their own right.  I'm not trying to s--- on Jones, I drafted him, I'm just saying he's probably not going to be some savior and right now could very well be the best return you can get in a trade.

37 minutes ago, JJ1223 said:

Okay, let me rephrase: When was the last time GB had a RB that actually had long-term fantasy value?  The point you made is exactly the same point I'm making: last year they had 3 different RBs that made 4+ starts.  They year before that was the same exact thing, 3 different RBs made 4+ starts.  The year before that it was all Lacy and he stunk.  You have to go back to 2014 to find a GB RB that actually had value for more than a couple of weeks.  I'm not expecting that to suddenly change, especially when they have 3 backs on the roster that are all pretty good in their own right.  I'm not trying to s--- on Jones, I drafted him, I'm just saying he's probably not going to be some savior and right now could very well be the best return you can get in a trade.

not it isn't the same point, because what you're implying is that there is a rotation based on a offensive philosophy, and what i'm saying is that they showed last year no such rotation exists and that it was only due to injury that the appearance of a rotation happened.  and we all know you can't predict injury, it is just as easy for the starter whoever it ends up being is healthy all year and gets the majority of the work all year. 

3 minutes ago, Panthor said:

not it isn't the same point, because what you're implying is that there is a rotation based on a offensive philosophy, and what i'm saying is that they showed last year no such rotation exists and that it was only due to injury that the appearance of a rotation happened.  and we all know you can't predict injury, it is just as easy for the starter whoever it ends up being is healthy all year and gets the majority of the work all year. 

The one thing I don't get is why Aaron Jones didn't get the starting job back when he was healthy from injury.  Anyone know what happened?  Was he never healthy actually?

4 hours ago, jccouger said:

People in here thinking an extra yard per carry (15-20 carries per game = 15-20 extra yards per game) is more important than keeping the best QB ever healthy. LOL. 

Pass blocking is by far the most important aspect in Green Bay's offense for the RB position. 

This is William's backfield. 

Well Jones averages almost a full two yards per carry more than Williams. I imagine more volume will lead to some decrease in his averages but that is still a very significant difference. 

Considering there was barely a full yard between the bottom ranked rushing team (Detroit 3.4YPC) and the top ranked rushing team (KC 4.7) last season, I would say that it matters. A lot. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kyle87 said:

It keeps buck allen relevent

[Comments removed.  Requests for advice on what to do if you own players X and Y need to be made in the AC forum.  This thread is for generally applicable information about Jones' outlook, not situational advice for your team context.]

22 minutes ago, Slatykamora said:

It keeps buck allen relevent

Buck is better at catching passes and is more trusted at the goal line to not fumble, he has more advantages over Collins than just pass blocking.  Pass blocking is just one of several things he is better at.  Williams in the other hand seems to offer no advantage over Jones other than pass blocking.

2 hours ago, kp96 said:

The one thing I don't get is why Aaron Jones didn't get the starting job back when he was healthy from injury.  Anyone know what happened?  Was he never healthy actually?

He was never fully healthy. He aggravated his MCL injury a few weeks after returning.

26 minutes ago, Kyle87 said:

Buck is better at catching passes and is more trusted at the goal line to not fumble, he has more advantages over Collins than just pass blocking.  Pass blocking is just one of several things he is better at.  Williams in the other hand seems to offer no advantage over Jones other than pass blocking.

he is supposed to be a better pass catcher too

Edited by Panthor

Last year towards the end of the season, Jones as Williams were both healthy, yet despite Jones having a noticeably better YPC, he was severly outsnapped by Williams. Wonder why. 

Just now, smetana34 said:

Last year towards the end of the season, Jones as Williams were both healthy, yet despite Jones having a noticeably better YPC, he was severly outsnapped by Williams. Wonder why. 

While Jones was injured, Williams had several very productive weeks as the lead back.  

1 minute ago, ccimore said:

While Jones was injured, Williams had several very productive weeks as the lead back.  

so even more of a case for Williams over Jones.  so why is anyone surprised at this point?

14 minutes ago, Panthor said:

so even more of a case for Williams over Jones.  so why is anyone surprised at this point?

Who is surprised?  Everyone knew Williams would be the starter for the first two weeks for sure.  There have been no surprises.

9 minutes ago, Panthor said:

Well hold on a sec.  While they weren't going to just give Jones the lead role immediately after what Williams had produced, it was pretty clear who was the more effective runner.  Had the season gone on, we could've seen a transition to a Jones led backfield.

I've got my bowl of popcorn ready to see how it plays as no one knows how it is going to go despite all of the cocksure "OPINIONS" proving their point.

Williams didn't put the issue to bed when he had the chance so Jones will surely get his turn. But it appears McCarthy will be playing 3 back Monty with Ty in the mix also. Gamble @ your own risk till someone runs away with the job. ( if it ever happens) 

1 hour ago, Kyle87 said:

Collins has made gains in pass catching/fumbles from his intial first few games with ravens. So those advatanges no longer prevent him. Its the pass blocking. 

Its important, weather you like it or not. However you kinda missed the fact that collins is fantasy relevent despite not having priorty on 3rd/hurry up/shotgun situations. Teams will still find ways to get the best runner carries and decent chunks of them.

Of course id rather own jones than williams. 

28 minutes ago, Kyle87 said:

Who is surprised?  Everyone knew Williams would be the starter for the first two weeks for sure.  There have been no surprises.

the thread isn't talking about the first 2 weeks though. 

and as for Williams not putting the issue to bed, he quite possibly just went up against the 2 top defenses in the NFL this year.  are people actually going to try to use that against him?