Saucy

Robert Covington 2018-2019 Season Outlook

Do you guys think RoCo returns the same value as he's been doing? Or do the new 76ers acquisitions hurt his value too much? He's been an elite source of steals and blocks for the past 4 years. Thoughts?

1 hour ago, Saucy said:

Do you guys think RoCo returns the same value as he's been doing? Or do the new 76ers acquisitions hurt his value too much? He's been an elite source of steals and blocks for the past 4 years. Thoughts?

It depends on Philly's offseason moves, but he really didn't touch the ball whenever the whole team was healthy. I wouldn't pay a ton for him because Philly will be better this year, but he's always undervalued on draft day too. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Saucy said:

What are the new acquisitions that you are talking about? Zhaire? Covington doesn't really need the ball or many opportunities to make his impact on fantasy so if the team remains pretty similar this year I like Covington as a 3 & D option. 

• Like 3

Right now it's a mix of Cov, Saric, Chandler at the 3 and 4 spot.  I'm guessing if Fultz can play well he'll get more minutes at PG shifting Simmons to one of the forward spots too.  But assuming that's pretty minimal still 96 minutes to share between those 3, and I think Chandler gets the least minutes.  Probably RoCo will still be his fantasy self even though he had a sub par year last year.  

• Like 1

Problem with RoCo is the same as Trevor Ariza - both disappear in some games. That is hard for me. I rank him outside TOP 50, but inside TOP75.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, apatas said:

Problem with RoCo is the same as Trevor Ariza - both disappear in some games. That is hard for me. I rank him outside TOP 50, but inside TOP75.

True with two caveats: 1) in roto it doesn’t matter what a player does week to week, only season totals matter; 2) everyone can have a bad week.  A brick layer such as PG can have a bad week and singlehandedly decimate your FG.  Whereas, roco can’t at least not by himself bc he’s much lower volume.  That’s one advantage to low volume guys. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, StifleTower2 said:

No, I value him top 50 still.  His espn ranking right now is absurd.  Must buy at that price. 

His ESPN ranking is criminal. Must buy at HALF that price...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Listen I LOOOOVE Lord Covi to death... don't get me wrong...

but I have a filling this won't be his year... with his terribly low usage... with Fultz on the rise... with $62 million contract extension ...

IDK...

:unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:v:unsure:v:unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

Not high on Cov this year. There are too many mouths in Philly to feed and he's kind of low on the totem pole. Embiid and Simmons come first, followed by Fultz who the Sixers have been hyping all throughout his injuries. After that is Saric, who had a great year in 2017 and might even be better than Fultz this year. Covington is the fifth option pretty much. He'll still be good for his steals and a couple of 3s but I don't see him breaking 10 ppg this year. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, fabrar said:

Not high on Cov this year. There are too many mouths in Philly to feed and he's kind of low on the totem pole. Embiid and Simmons come first, followed by Fultz who the Sixers have been hyping all throughout his injuries. After that is Saric, who had a great year in 2017 and might even be better than Fultz this year. Covington is the fifth option pretty much. He'll still be good for his steals and a couple of 3s but I don't see him breaking 10 ppg this year. 

Indeed... but would gladly take after round 10. :)  

No value here except of defensive stats in a starting five with Simmons Embiid Fultz and Saric, all better offensive options than him
I think he'll make two or three shot attempts for game, at best

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, LosingEffort said:

No value here except of defensive stats in a starting five with Simmons Embiid Fultz and Saric, all better offensive options than him

giphy.gif

I'm a bit pessimistic but you are overreacting...

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, LosingEffort said:

Thats not the way it works. Covington doesnt need the ball in his hands to produce, hes not Jimmy Butler or Derozan.

RoCo just needs the minutes and the numbers will be there. 

Agreed with the posters who say Covington doesn't need the ball in his hands and is undervalued this year.  Remember, coach trusts him as a primary defender vs guards and forwards so he will definitely see time on the floor and in crunch time.  Covington came through for me last year in winning my 18 Team H2H League during the fantasy playoffs so I will look to acquire him once again.  I won't reach but will hope he's available in mid-later rounds.

• Like 1

Stocks are one of the stats where your usage matters the least and that’s roco’s main contribution.  He also produces in threes and rebounds but those cats aren’t scarce.  Really you draft him for 2spg and .8bpg.  I don’t really see those numbers falling.  I think the people who believe roco’s value will fall dont understand where his value comes from.  He was never a scorer and he never will be AND he gets half of his scoring from beyond the arch so his FG is 40%.  Do you really want him to be a volume scorer?  I guess if you’re punting FG you do.  I don’t see his value declining and there’s a snowballs chance his value actually nudges up if he’s having a less negative FG impact.  

• Like 3

Yeah, people here act like RoCo is Wiggins and his only role is scoring the ball and if he doesn't do that, or cannot do that because of how many attacking options that team has he is useless. You take Roco because of his stocks and 3s, he'll score a couple of 3s more often than not, he'll be a great source of stocks, he'll have some games where he'll explode. He's really important for that team, a team that lacks shooters, and Roco is a great defender and a great shooter, and according to the comments here, will be underrated once again.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dekciw_1 said:

Thats not the way it works. Covington doesnt need the ball in his hands to produce, hes not Jimmy Butler or Derozan.

RoCo just needs the minutes and the numbers will be there. 

I'm just saying his usage will drop dramatically with Simmons, Embiid, Saric and Fultz in the starting five.
he can provide defensive stats but I can't see how he can score constantly in double digit with that teammates   

16 minutes ago, LosingEffort said:

I'm just saying his usage will drop dramatically with Simmons, Embiid, Saric and Fultz in the starting five.
he can provide defensive stats but I can't see how he can score constantly in double digit with that teammates   

He played with all the same players last year and he scored the same as he did two years ago.  Fultz going to the starting lineup (assuming he does) changes very little. 

4 minutes ago, StifleTower2 said:

He played with all the same players last year and he scored the same as he did two years ago.  Fultz going to the starting lineup (assuming he does) changes very little. 

I don't think so..
Fultz is a big mouth to feed

• Like 1

Just now, LosingEffort said:

I don't think so..
Fultz is a big mouth to feed

Fultz was on their team last year and played heavy minutes. People pay too much attention as to who is starting.  Lineups are fluid, he will get playing time whether it’s with the first or second unit.  If this was an entirely new situation or they brought in someone like Westbrook then things would change.  But it’s literally the same precise team from last year.  

Clearly there are two sides to the story: offense and defense. Even if Fultz happens to be more usage-dependant than Covington, Covington will always be needed to defend. And now, as it looks like we're in the next phase of the process, ie. they're trying to win, Covington will be even more of a key piece for their success.

He's the new Ariza, you don't expect 17 points from him. Like Stifle said, you grab him for stocks and threes.. heavy st3cks, no more or else you'll be disappointed and call him a bum

Edited by tongs
spelling
  • Like 3

Yes, forum conversation is always interesting. But what is strange: Stifle Tower says he loves low volume guys. This is the only reason why I don't love RoCo and he is 76th in my prerank. I name here 10 players who stand in my rank as 41 to 50: Marc Gasol, Jayson Tatum, Otto Porter, DeAndre Jordan, Myles Turner, Klay Thompson, Blake Griffin, Steven Adams, Jeff Teague, Paul Millsap. All very good basketball players. I can't see anyone of them is lower than RoCo... Of course again if you are talking about Roto, then I don't know. I play only H2H, because this format is more entertaining.

Edited by apatas

30 minutes ago, apatas said:

Yes, forum conversation is always interesting. But what is strange: Stifle Tower says he loves low volume guys. This is the only reason why I don't love RoCo and he is 76th in my prerank. I name here 10 players who stand in my rank as 41 to 50: Marc Gasol, Jayson Tatum, Otto Porter, DeAndre Jordan, Myles Turner, Klay Thompson, Blake Griffin, Steven Adams, Jeff Teague, Paul Millsap. All very good basketball players. I can't see anyone of them is lower than RoCo... Of course again if you are talking about Roto, then I don't know. I play only H2H, because this format is more entertaining.

Never said that actually.