Nene

2018-2019 Breakout Candidates

Part 1. Summer League participants (Post Draft, Pre-Summer League) to keep a close eye on.

Players can't be rookies.

Atlanta    
DeAndre Bembry - Great passer, good ddefender and gets his hands on some steals. Not a great shooter. Could be a good pairing with Trae Young and Huerter. 
John Collins - Took a while to get a chance last yeear, but he's really good. Defense could use a lot of work, and there's a chance it's mostly popcorn stats, but still interesting.

Boston    
Semi Ojeleye - Might never put up stats, but he's pretty good. Maybe with experience he'll get a few more calls to go his way. 
Guerschon Yabusele - Just interesting because of his skill set. 

Brooklyn    
Jarrett Allen - Could be a monster in steals and blocks. D12 and Mozgov both gone, open route to minutes. 

Charlotte    
Malik Monk - Not a fan of him, but he could become a Louis Williams type. 
Willy Hernangomez - Defense absolutely horrendous, and has to deal with Frank Kaminsky and Zeller, but at least D12 is gone. Been in the gym ever since end of regular season. 
Dwayne Bacon - Played a decent role last year. Bridges came in, so he could be fighting for minutes. Good rebounder. 

Chicago    
Antonio Blakeney - Big fan of him, but same story as Monk - a score first smallish PG. Might be a good flash off the bench for the Bulls, who will need any help they can get. 

Cleveland    
Cedi Osman - Was killing Ukraine in 20 minutes (20 points). Seems like he's been getting some coaching from Korver, since shot was looking much better. Lue might still not see it. 
Ante Zizic - If Cavs blow it up, he's one of their main building blocks, 

Dallas    
Dennis Smith - Erratic, but he could flourish next to Doncic who will take up some ballhandling. 
Johnathan Motley - Did really well late last year. Don't let the 3pt crunchtime shot fool you, though. He's not a shooter, but did really well in the GLeague. 

Denver    
Malik Beasley - Backcourt has seen some injuries and will be thinner than it was last year.

Detroit    
Luke Kennard - Shooting should be a premium with Casey coaching that team. They'll need the spacing with Reggie Jackson, Griffin, Drummond all starting. Kennard is probably their next best shooter if you pencil in Reggie Bullock as a starter.
Henry Ellenson - Another shooter. Could see increased minutes.

Golden St.    
Jordan Bell - Was a lot of hype around him, like with every lowish GS pick. Showed flashes but in the end, McGee and Looney got minutes over him. Maybe in due time.
Damian Jones - Some believe he'll get a chance to pick up minutes this season. Still a big talent.

Indiana    
T.J. Leaf - Just because he was picked relatively high. Should be an okay nba player.
Ike Anibogu - One of the youngeest guys in the league. Good size but rail thin. Thad opted in, so frontcourrt is still crowded. 

LA Clippers    
Sindarius Thornwell - Rivers is gone, and Clippers might look to move other veterans. Robinson will start at sg right away, but Thronwell is a good defender - Clippers could use that at the wingmen positions. 

LA Lakers    
Josh Hart - Might be looking at increased minutes if the Lakers gut their roster in order to sign a few big names. 
Thomas Bryant - Same here.

Memphis    
Wayne Selden - Struggled with injuries, but had a really good string of games. If Evans leaves, he could look at a strating job. 
Kobi Simmons - Talent, but is he a good fit?
Ivan Rabb - Grabbed loads of rebounds late last year, but frontcourt got more crowded with JJJ on board. Might be nice futute pairing with him.

Miami    
Bam Adebayo - Miami looking to deal Whiteside, and Bam should be starting soon enough. Loads of upside. 

Milwaukee    
Sterling Brown - If DDdisappoints, Sterling could be next in line to look at starting job. Great defender.

Minnesota    
Justin Patton - Curious to see what he is.

New York    
Frank Ntilikina - Looks like didnt take much time off. Is he a sg or sf? I'd play him next to Burke at SG. 
Damyean Dotson - Looks to be in terrific shape. Underrated guy who put together a string of really nice games. Could be a Qrich type with great shooting and rebounding, but might be a great defender as well.

Oklahoma City    
Terrance Ferguson - If PG leaves, I'd bgrab him right away.

Orlando    
Jonathan Isaac - WHAT is Orlando doing? Frontcourt is packed now. 

Philadelphia    
Timothe Luwuwu- Caborrot - Was fantastic at the end of 2016-2017. Depending on what shooters the Sixers ink, he might see more minutes...or get dealt.

Portland    
Wade Baldwin IV - Surpassed Shabazz who's leaving anyway. Good size and great defense. Excited to see what he'll do.
Caleb Swanigan - Killed SL last season but stuck behind Ed Davis, Aminu etc. Could see more minutes this year. 
Zach Collins - Big talent. Often regarded a bad pick, he'll be fine, really.

Sacramento    
De'Aaron Fox - Not too impressed with his season last year, lets see what he does this year. 
Frank Mason - Pushed Fox, I really like him as a career backup.
Justin Jackson - Oldish soph, but was quite steady. If he takes a step he could be servicable. If he plays over Hield, however, they're crazy.

San Antonio    
Derrick White - Had to be somebody, right? Good scorer, Spurs might need it. 

Toronto    
OG Anunoby - OG will be MIP this year. 

Utah    
Tony Bradley - Favors could be gone, curious to see what Utah does.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Adding Free Agency, Off Season, PreSeason suggestions at a later date.

If the Lakers don't add PG or don't add an actual shooting guard, Hart is starting. Either way he'll be getting big minutes.

On 30/06/2018 at 6:48 AM, miasma16 said:

If the Lakers don't add PG or don't add an actual shooting guard, Hart is starting. Either way he'll be getting big minutes.

Hart might stick, while Ball is dealt. 

On 6/29/2018 at 9:48 PM, miasma16 said:

Isn't he (currently) still behind KCP and potentially fighting Lance for backup mins?

I am not sure what LAL is doing. 

2 hours ago, jay14bay said:

Isn't he (currently) still behind KCP and potentially fighting Lance for backup mins?

I am not sure what LAL is doing. 

That's the case now, I made that post prior to the moratorium beginning. As of now, Hart would make for a nice stash. As has been alluded to by a different poster in a different thread, I think Hart has an outside chance to be LA's starting shooting guard by the turn of the season. As the roster sits now, he'll still probably get 20+ mpg for the year. Note that he got 23 mpg last season. I wouldn't say he was that fantasy-friendly as a rookie. However, he only really hurt you in points, and was ranked in the Top 15 the last 2 weeks of last season when he averaged 16.5. All that said, no, I don't think he qualifies as a breakout candidate the way their roster stands.

4 hours ago, miasma16 said:

That's the case now, I made that post prior to the moratorium beginning. As of now, Hart would make for a nice stash. As has been alluded to by a different poster in a different thread, I think Hart has an outside chance to be LA's starting shooting guard by the turn of the season. As the roster sits now, he'll still probably get 20+ mpg for the year. Note that he got 23 mpg last season. I wouldn't say he was that fantasy-friendly as a rookie. However, he only really hurt you in points, and was ranked in the Top 15 the last 2 weeks of last season when he averaged 16.5. All that said, no, I don't think he qualifies as a breakout candidate the way their roster stands.

how do you view Hart in dynasty leagues?

46 minutes ago, bball961 said:

how do you view Hart in dynasty leagues?

If you have room for him I'd add him. Again, his game isn't all that fantasy friendly, but the best thing for fantasy players is minutes. KCP is very good, but I think the Lakers are just bringing him back for a year because they have the cap space, and giving him some seasoning. Hart is a very good shooter and a good defender. He'll be getting 30 mpg for the next 10 years, and I hope he spends that time as the 4th or 5th option in the Lakers starting lineup and a guy that can shut guards down. 

12 hours ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Larry Nance Jr.

Montrezl Harrell

Agree with this.

Or any young player in Cavs to be honest. Love should be gone soon, latest by the trade deadline probably.

14 hours ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Larry Nance Jr.

Montrezl Harrell

Agree with Nance, nice combo of steals and blocks.

Not so much with Harrell. 24 years old, been in the league for a while and mostly only scores: grabs a below average amount of rebounds for a power forward, subpar from FT, no 3s and not so great stl/blk numbers, even when he got a lot of PT. 

4 hours ago, Stefan said:

Harry Giles 

4sure

He will have competition for minutes from the likes of Skal Labissiere and Marvin Bagley.

On 7/6/2018 at 8:13 PM, bball961 said:

He will have competition for minutes from the likes of Skal Labissiere and Marvin Bagley.

True dat... but still

Posted (edited)
On 7/6/2018 at 10:28 AM, Nene said:

Agree with Nance, nice combo of steals and blocks.

Not so much with Harrell. 24 years old, been in the league for a while and mostly only scores: grabs a below average amount of rebounds for a power forward, subpar from FT, no 3s and not so great stl/blk numbers, even when he got a lot of PT. 

I didn't know 3 years in the league was "a while" plus with DeAndre Jordan grabbing everything it's hard to get a rebound

Edited by cdd10

Gilgeous-Alexander in dynasty. Scoop him up. 

7 hours ago, cdd10 said:

Gilgeous-Alexander in dynasty. Scoop him up. 

Hes a rookie, I dont consider rookies breakout candidates.

7 hours ago, cdd10 said:

I didn't know 3 years in the league was "a while" plus with DeAndre Jordan grabbing everything it's hard to get a rebound

Griffin grabbed sufficient rebounds while playing next to Deandre.

• Like 1

deep sleeper- Jerami Grant. has a clear path to start with Melo on his way out. Good source of defensive cats and won't hurt you anywhere

• Like 3

14 hours ago, sya said:

deep sleeper- Jerami Grant. has a clear path to start with Melo on his way out. Good source of defensive cats and won't hurt you anywhere

Per36  his .675% FT at 5.2 atp/g will absolutely hurt,I think.

• Like 3

Really exited to see what Dennis Smith does this year. The additions of Doncic and DJ should make his job a lot easier. If he can stay healthy, I think we could see a big bump in both his efficiency and assists. I’d love for him. 

18 hours ago, Lux Aeterna ll said:

Really exited to see what Dennis Smith does this year. The additions of Doncic and DJ should make his job a lot easier. If he can stay healthy, I think we could see a big bump in both his efficiency and assists. I’d love for him. 

I hear ya.

I just hope he's healthy enough to play upwards of 70+ games.

His athleticism is crazy but he's sometimes very reckless. From the  Mavs games I caught last season, I feel like he's a one dunk landing away from injury.

• Like 1