• Announcements

• Patrick Bateman

Check out the new Rotoworld Beta Site!   11/14/2018

Rotoworld has been the industry leader in fantasy news and analysis for years, but it was time for a much-needed facelift!  While our around-the-clock, comprehensive coverage will remain the same, the new Rotoworld design will be sleeker, easier to navigate, more video-friendly and will finally be mobile-optimized.    That’s right, you can finally stop pinching the screens on your phones to read our content!  Right now we’re in the beta phase of our launch, and it’s still a work-in-progress, but we’d love for you to check out our soon-to-be new digs, and let us know what you think: https://beta.rotoworld.com.    And then please use the Contact Us button to give us feedback!  

I always take 4 RBs in the first 6 rounds.  It's math.  Every team plays 1QB, 1RB, 1TE, and 3 WRs.  RBs are impossible to replace.  If yours gets hurt, waiver RBs won't get you to the playoffs.

Streaming QBs is easy.  Wait until the first 11 or 12 are gone.  Everyone else can waste a pick on a bust QB while you're loading up on RBs.

Luck, Rivers, and Roethlisberger are currently QBs 13-15.  Why would you reach for someone else?  That's dumb.

TE is a crapshoot.  I said eF it last year and grabbed Gronk in the first round.  I also had Graham, Julius Thomas, and Cameron Brate before anyone knew who they were.  It's all about the pre-season targets.  When the starting QB is on the field, who is he throwing the ball to?  I usually look over all the play-by-play box scores.  Jake Butt is in a good situation.  No reason he can't put up Rudolph's numbers from last year. Pre-season targets will tell the story.

http://walterfootball.com/fantasy/preseasontargets

WRs:  Lets face it.  Last year was Hopkins, AB, and everyone else.  Teams spread the ball around to 3 WRs, a TE, and a RB.  All you can do here is grab value.  I took Alshon in the 4th last year: new team, turned on late and was a stud in the playoffs.  I picked up Woods and Smith-Schuster for bye weeks.  That was awesome.

WRs not getting any love this year:

Tyrell Williams - Chargers (undrafted ADP) - No Hunter Henry - more 3WR sets

Kelvin Benjamin - BUF (9.12 ADP) - Tyrod only threw check down passes.  Top 2 receivers last year were TE and RB.  New QB.

Parker - MIA (8.12 ADP) - Landry and his 200 targets are gone.  Last chance at a big contract.

Amendola - MIA (undrafted) - Landry replacement (not feeling this one, but it's targets)

John Brown - BAL (undrafted ADP) - Flacco is fighting to keep his job.  Brown is his deep guy.

Lee/Westbrooke/Moncrief - JAX - All Bargains.  Borltes says he understands the offense now.

Hurns (8.07) / Williams (undrafted) / Gallup (14.07) - DAL - Dez and Witten are both gone.  Seriously? Dak sucks now?  I didn't get the memo.

So, yeah.   4 RBs in the first 6 rounds.  QB20 is Jay Gruden/Alex Smith?  Seriously?  I want that cheap!  Get me some Hurns/Parker/Benjamin in 7-8.  After round 10, start grabbing the undrafted ADP WRs off this list and rookie RBs who had stellar pre-season games. 

Same draft every year.  Keep an eye on WR waivers (total points and team target leaders) and get the most points for half the games this season.  That's always fun.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, jmausen said:

I always take 4 RBs in the first 6 rounds.  It's math.  Every team plays 1QB, 1RB, 1TE, and 3 WRs.  RBs are impossible to replace.  If yours gets hurt, waiver RBs won't get you to the playoffs.

Streaming QBs is easy.  Wait until the first 11 or 12 are gone.  Everyone else can waste a pick on a bust QB while you're loading up on RBs.

Luck, Rivers, and Roethlisberger are currently QBs 13-15.  Why would you reach for someone else?  That's dumb.

TE is a crapshoot.  I said eF it last year and grabbed Gronk in the first round.  I also had Graham, Julius Thomas, and Cameron Brate before anyone knew who they were.  It's all about the pre-season targets.  When the starting QB is on the field, who is he throwing the ball to?  I usually look over all the play-by-play box scores.  Jake Butt is in a good situation.  No reason he can't put up Rudolph's numbers from last year. Pre-season targets will tell the story.

WRs:  Lets face it.  Last year was Hopkins, AB, and everyone else.  Teams spread the ball around to 3 WRs, a TE, and a RB.  All you can do here is grab value.  I took Alshon in the 4th last year: new team, turned on late and was a stud in the playoffs.  I picked up Woods and Smith-Schuster for bye weeks.  That was awesome.

Kelvin Benjamin - BUF (9.12 ADP) - Tyrod only threw check down passes.  Top 2 receivers last year were TE and RB.  New QB.

Parker - MIA (8.12 ADP) - Landry and his 200 targets are gone.  Last chance at a big contract.

Amendola - MIA (undrafted) - Landry replacement (not feeling this one, but it's targets)

John Brown - BAL (undrafted ADP) - Flacco is fighting to keep his job.  Brown is his deep guy.

Lee/Westbrooke/Moncrief - JAX - All Bargains.  Borltes says he understands the offense now.

Hurns (8.07) / Williams (undrafted) / Gallup (14.07) - DAL - Dez and Witten are both gone.  Seriously? Dak sucks now?  I didn't get the memo.

So, yeah.   4 RBs in the first 6 rounds.  QB20 is Jay Gruden/Alex Smith?  Seriously?  I want that cheap!  Get me some Hurns/Parker/Benjamin in 7-8.  After round 10, start grabbing the undrafted ADP WRs off this list and rookie RBs who had stellar pre-season games. 

Same draft every year.  Keep an eye on WR waivers (total points and team target leaders) and get the most points for half the games this season.  That's always fun.

Beautiful post.

10 hours ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I'm assuming you cashed in many leagues because you do w good job of managing your team throughout the year, and some luck of course.  I doubt it was because of your draft.

Since in-season management is the biggest reason a person is successful is way just about any draft strategy can work.  I won't deny that but there are strategies that work better than others and can make in-season management much easier.

You admit that RB is the most volatile positions and you would be correct.  Wouldn't it make more sense to have more RBs on your roster so you might get lucky and have one of those breakout guys already instead of fighting others to get him off waivers?  You have three RBs in a league where you have to start two and can start a third.  This is a terrible strategy.

QBs are the easiest position to replace in fantasy football, other than defense and kicker.  It makes little sense to draft two.  Having two on the roster during the season is a good strategy but drafting them isn't all that great of an idea.  It works for some and a lot of people do it but it's a bit of a wasted draft pick.

I can see drafting two TEs because that position is pretty thin and somewhat volatile.  It can be hard to pick up a decent TE on waivers.  I've found that if you don't draft one of the top 3 or 4 TEs then all the rest of the guys score similar to each other so why waste a roster spot on another TE.

You're going to have a tough time convincing any fantasy football person that drafting two defenses is a good idea.  The only thing worse than that idea is drafting a second kicker.

When you get into about the 3rd or 4th week of football what happens?  We see injuries and get a better idea of what players are actually getting the most playing time.  We also get to bye weeks.  It's at this point where people are dropping and picking up players at a fast rate in order to get those upcoming players and drop dead weight on their rosters.  When WRs and especially RBs are hard to come by and you need to add one, what would be the first players on your roster you would drop?  Your back up QB and TE, or in your case that waste of a bench spot defense.  During the bye weeks there are always going to be some teams struggling with injuries or poor play and will be picking up as many RBs and WRs as they can.  This is when QBs get dropped and it's when you can take advantage and scoop them up.  Desperate teams will make desperate moves and create opportunities for you on the waiver wire.

I think of your team as the one that has to panic during the season to find RB and WR help.  Others will be able to scoop up your QB, TE or D when they need them.  This, of course, is no guarantee and your strategy can work.  I'm just playing the odds and I don't like yours with that team.  I'd rather not put myself in that position.

I play leagues with savvy people and try to be realistic.    I'm not here to post monster lineups as if I'm playing with 11 other idiots. 

23 hours ago, jvmillion83 said:

Both QBs have tremendous upside with excellent offensive coaching.  Both TEs are value picks and are due for increase in targets this year.  Ravens play the Bills Week 1 and Chicago home to Seattle Week 2 (Yeah Seattle is going to suck this year)

RB is one of the most volatile positions.  

But yeah one of the "worst strategies you've ever seen" has led me to cash in many leagues in the past few decades

Backing up kicker and def is a game winning strategy?

6 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

Do you see a backup kicker?

6 hours ago, jmausen said:

This is swamped in regency bias.  Sure, the stud RBs won championships last year and the highly drafted WR busted.  That makes it seems like you could win with WR FA pickups because the stud WRs weren’t producing last year but in my experience and I’m sure most other people’s, it’s generally a lot easier to find potential league winning RBs in the late rounds/FA than it is for WRs.  Any RB in a starting role is essentially a locked in RB2/Flex and with the volatility of the position you can plug in backup RBs thrust into starting roles throughout the year.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jvmillion83 said:

Do you see a backup kicker?

No but I see a turd

7 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

No but I see a turd

I'm out.  Not going to stoop down to the level of teenagers.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Chwf3rd said:

This is swamped in regency bias.  Sure, the stud RBs won championships last year and the highly drafted WR busted.  That makes it seems like you could win with WR FA pickups because the stud WRs weren’t producing last year but in my experience and I’m sure most other people’s, it’s generally a lot easier to find potential league winning RBs in the late rounds/FA than it is for WRs.  Any RB in a starting role is essentially a locked in RB2/Flex and with the volatility of the position you can plug in backup RBs thrust into starting roles throughout the year.

2017 was a down year for WRs in PPR, but that could easily reverse this year.

I think drafting for balance between WR & RBs will get you the most wins over the long run.  So, in the first 8 rounds that’s 4 RBs & 4 WRs (a TE can be swapped for one of them depending on who’s available).  I like taking a RB in the 1st round because there is a big difference in production between tier 1 & 2.  After that it’s best RB/WR available.

After the first 8 picks there’s really no best strategy, it all depends on the league format.  In my league, I usually go QB + QB (for #9 & #10) because it’s a 2QB league (1 starter + 1 backup).  That will get me 2 QBs with with ADP > 15, and likely a top10 finisher.

I thought about posting my idea draft (just completed practice draft) but decided it’s pretty pointless.  I’d have to explain everything pick, and ADP will flux greatly between now and draft day.  More useful is overvalued/undervalued...

4 hours ago, bhawks489 said:

It was for the person who won The Fantasy Championship (and its $200,000 first prize) last year. 

Any strategy works if you pick the right players.

6 hours ago, Chwf3rd said:

This is swamped in regency bias.  

I was planning on stacking Fitzwilliam Darcy/Charles Bingley, but that's just regency bias I guess.

I'm just glad no one bashed my dream draft. Tough crowd LOL.

12 team PPR

QB: Matt Ryan

WR1: Antonio Brown

WR2: Doug Baldwin

WR3: Jarvis Landry

RB1: Devonta Freeman

RB2: Kerryon Johnson or Rex Burkhead or Corey Clement

TE: Zach Ertz 

13 hours ago, jvmillion83 said:

I play leagues with savvy people and try to be realistic.    I'm not here to post monster lineups as if I'm playing with 11 other idiots. 

I draft with savvy people as well and it's why I went into detail about why it's smarter to not draft a back up QB, D and even TE.  I haven't really heard you describe why you think your strategy makes more sense yet, just that you've won championships and that you don't draft with idiots.  It's a discussion.  I gave you reasons why I don't think it works now I'm curious why you think it does.

On July 5, 2018 at 11:33 AM, bhawks489 said:

12 team 6 spot

ESPN ADP +/- 2 spots

Kamara

D.Freeman

J.Gordon

D.Watson

M.Jones

B.Cooks

K.Rudolph

T.Cohen

C.Thompson

N.Agolor

K.Cole

QB: Watson

RB: Kamara

RB: Freeman

WR: Gordon

WR: M.Jones

WR:Brandin Cooks

TE: Rudolph

Flex: T.Cohen

K: whatever

Def: Bears

Bench: C.Thompson, N.Agolor, K.Cole, some others 

Its a start

Even if you're a determined late QB guy, passing on Watson (if he really is what he was last year) in the 4th would be silly, right!?

No other player has that potential ppg advantage over his position at that adp.   Worth the risk in that round.

9 hours ago, joshua18 said:

It was for the person who won The Fantasy Championship (and its $200,000 first prize) last year. 

Any strategy works if you pick the right players.

In a regular redraft league with 5 or 6 bench spots that gets managed the full year a guy drafted a back up kicker and defense?  I said it earlier that any draft strategy can work since it all depends on in-season management but there are just some draft strategies that make more sense than others.  Drafting a back up kicker and defense is not a good strategy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Geaux Saints said:

I'm just glad no one bashed my dream draft. Tough crowd LOL.

12 team PPR

QB: Matt Ryan

WR1: Antonio Brown

WR2: Doug Baldwin

WR3: Jarvis Landry

RB1: Devonta Freeman

RB2: Kerryon Johnson or Rex Burkhead or Corey Clement

TE: Zach Ertz 

TRASH!!!!!!  :P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, psygolf said:

Even if you're a determined late QB guy, passing on Watson (if he really is what he was last year) in the 4th would be silly, right!?

No other player has that potential ppg advantage over his position at that adp.   Worth the risk in that round.

Thats what I'm banking on. And if it doesn't work out a fourth isn't that bad if it bombs. 3rd might be too pricey for me.

56 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

In a regular redraft league with 5 or 6 bench spots that gets managed the full year a guy drafted a back up kicker and defense?  I said it earlier that any draft strategy can work since it all depends on in-season management but there are just some draft strategies that make more sense than others.  Drafting a back up kicker and defense is not a good strategy.

Those two positions are such a crapshoot anyway. 

21 hours ago, seanismorris said:

2017 was a down year for WRs in PPR, but that could easily reverse this year.

I think drafting for balance between WR & RBs will get you the most wins over the long run.  So, in the first 8 rounds that’s 4 RBs & 4 WRs (a TE can be swapped for one of them depending on who’s available).  I like taking a RB in the 1st round because there is a big difference in production between tier 1 & 2.  After that it’s best RB/WR available.

After the first 8 picks there’s really no best strategy, it all depends on the league format.  In my league, I usually go QB + QB (for #9 & #10) because it’s a 2QB league (1 starter + 1 backup).  That will get me 2 QBs with with ADP > 15, and likely a top10 finisher.

I thought about posting my idea draft (just completed practice draft) but decided it’s pretty pointless.  I’d have to explain everything pick, and ADP will flux greatly between now and draft day.  More useful is overvalued/undervalued...

Experience.

I can't tell you how many times I lost one of my top 2 RBs in the first 4 weeks and my only choice was give up for the season.

RB is a crap shoot every year. Since I started doing the 4 rb in first 6 rounds, the stable is always full. Haven't finished worse than 3rd in the regular season. 2 of the 4 I draft are always top 10. I flex the others.  If ur hoping for late round gems, you're rolling the dice. Most of those guys should never be started, and dumped.

WRs are easier to figure out as the season progresses. Most teams, you have no effing clue who the target leader will be. He is a free agent and nobody loves him. 23 of top 24 RBs are all drafted. WRs are closer to 18 or 19. 

#1 rule of drafting: never over commit!

When you reach for a QB in the 4th round who sucks, you're going to keep him and start him every week, and your team is going to blow. When you are wondering which RB1s you're starting this week because dumb a** reached for a QB and you grabbed HIS RB2 as your RB3, life is good. 

All but 4-5 WRs and QBs you draft can be dumped and streamed. RBs are irreplaceable!  It's math.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jmausen said:

Experience.

I can't tell you how many times I lost one of my top 2 RBs in the first 4 weeks and my only choice was give up for the season.

RB is a crap shoot every year. Since I started doing the 4 rb in first 6 rounds, the stable is always full. Haven't finished worse than 3rd in the regular season. 2 of the 4 I draft are always top 10. I flex the others.  If ur hoping for late round gems, you're rolling the dice. Most of those guys should never be started, and dumped.

WRs are easier to figure out as the season progresses. Most teams, you have no effing clue who the target leader will be. He is a free agent and nobody loves him. 23 of top 24 RBs are all drafted. WRs are closer to 18 or 19. 

When you reach for a QB in the 4th round who sucks, you're going to keep him and start him every week, and your team is going to blow. When you are wondering which RB1s you're starting this week because dumb a** reached for a QB and you grabbed HIS RB2 as your RB3, life is good. 

All but 4-5 WRs and QBs you draft can be dumped and streamed. RBs are irreplaceable!  It's math.

I’ve come full circle on this after two dicey and ultimately weak “zero RB” years in a row.

Still gotta let the draft come to me but yeah...generally speaking I’m  back to being an old fashioned RB wh@r3 again.

5 hours ago, jmausen said:

Experience.

Then you give up way too easily. 

The winner of TFC last year (same one I mentioned in an earlier post) drafted DJ with the 1.01. He didnt give up, and won $200K as a result. 

Sure injuries can capsize your season, but giving up is what weak owners do. It's a long season, and unexpected great things happen all the time. 

1 hour ago, Proteus said:

I’ve come full circle on this after two dicey and ultimately weak “zero RB” years in a row.

Still gotta let the draft come to me but yeah...generally speaking I’m  back to being an old fashioned RB wh@r3 again.

Which means now is the time for zero RB...

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, joshua18 said:

Which means now is the time for zero RB...

I feel that if you are drafting at the back end of the first round that going WR/WR this year may be the best bet. RBs are back to being the focal point of many drafters which means you could get 2 absolute studs at the WR position this year.  Beckham JR in some mocks is going  in round 2 for crying out loud.  It seems you could end of with a combination of OBJ, Michael Thomas, Julio Jones and Keenan Allen easily if you draft at the back end. I will take 2 of those 4 easily and then start hoarding RBs after that. 

Edited by GreatScott!

5 hours ago, GreatScott! said:

I feel that if you are drafting at the back end of the first round that going WR/WR this year may be the best bet. RBs are back to being the focal point of many drafters which means you could get 2 absolute studs at the WR position this year.  Beckham JR in some mocks is going  in round 2 for crying out loud.  It seems you could end of with a combination of OBJ, Michael Thomas, Julio Jones and Keenan Allen easily if you draft at the back end. I will take 2 of those 4 easily and then start hoarding RBs after that. 

The issue I see is that starting with Julio/Thomas leaves you with Drake and Collins at RB... wouldn’t you rather say Fournette and Gordon the Next fitz and DThomas as a starting 4? I would 

4 minutes ago, tsweet said:

The issue I see is that starting with Julio/Thomas leaves you with Drake and Collins at RB... wouldn’t you rather say Fournette and Gordon the Next fitz and DThomas as a starting 4? I would 

In my ideal draft I go RB-WR.

In practice drafts that usually gives my (Fournette + Julio) (Hunt + K. Allen) and that’s drafting 9-12 (backend).

I like having a RB1 + WR1 that I can start every week without thinking about it.  After that starting them based on machups or if a player breaks out (like Kamara) becoming a must start.  

I agree wih you, the WRs available in the 3rd and 4th are usually very stable producers.  Whereas the RBs are question marks.  It doesn’t mean i’ll be avoiding them, but they have to be high upside with a fairly secure situation (starting job locked up).

Drake and Collins are far from sure things.  They flashed the previous year, but that doesn’t always mean what TV viewers think it means.  I got burned by J. Hill a few years ago, and that lesson let me avoid the Ajayi pain last year (for example).  I’d rather wait another round and start drafting high draft pick rookie RBs.  One of them will probably be fantastic, like Hunt was last year.

Last year, I basically lost all of my draft picks to IR (I got an A+ draft grade by CBS ?).  I still made it to the playoffs by being crazy active on waiver, and probably would have won the league if Kamara didn’t go down...

Our thought process may not work for everyone though.  In a Flex league it might make sense to draft another RB early.