RedDogNamedClippers

Kristaps Porzingis 2018-2019 Season Outlook

3 minutes ago, claptondecheeks said:

Picked up this lottery ticket when his previous owner dropped him to put Horford on IL. 

Any indication he's ramping up practice? As far as I can tell, the last update was exactly a month ago when he told GQ he is doing 1-on-1 contact drills and feels like his rehab is coming to an end.

He's not coming back this season, I'll tell you that much. Knicks have nothing to play for and are heading towards a high draft pick. They have no reason whatsoever to bring Zingis back

10 minutes ago, fabrar said:

He's not coming back this season, I'll tell you that much. Knicks have nothing to play for and are heading towards a high draft pick. They have no reason whatsoever to bring Zingis back

Probably, but stashing a lottery ticket on IL is one of the funnest things about fantasy basketball bc of the "what if." 

I could see reasons why they'd want to bring him back. For example, they might want to see how he fits in with the other young guys to see if they can move on from the vets. Would a line up of [PG]/THJ/Knox/KP/Robinson/Vonlehn work, for example.

Just now, claptondecheeks said:

Probably, but stashing a lottery ticket on IL is one of the funnest things about fantasy basketball bc of the "what if." 

I could see reasons why they'd want to bring him back. For example, they might want to see how he fits in with the other young guys to see if they can move on from the vets. Would a line up of [PG]/THJ/Knox/KP/Robinson/Vonlehn work, for example.

Many reasons to bring him back

17 minutes ago, fabrar said:

He most definitely will be playing and has to come back. The Knicks are about to step into one of the wildest most lucrative free agency class this summer, in order to have a superstar buy into the Knicks winning in the next few years , they’ll have to see if porzingis can even play or if he is back to his old self. It will be very important for the Knicks not to fk this up. He’ll be back around February the latest ( i hope) before all star break, that could be the news going into all star weekend. But he has to test the knee out in real life game competition, he’ll get a chance to step on the court but it could be also at the end of the season when guys are tired and wanting the season to end and teams are preparing for playoffs so competition becomes like summer league the month leading into playoffs

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, CityBaller8 said:

He most definitely will be playing and has to come back. The Knicks are about to step into one of the wildest most lucrative free agency class this summer, in order to have a superstar buy into the Knicks winning in the next few years , they’ll have to see if porzingis can even play or if he is back to his old self. It will be very important for the Knicks not to fk this up. He’ll be back around February the latest ( i hope) before all star break, that could be the news going into all star weekend. But he has to test the knee out in real life game competition, he’ll get a chance to step on the court but it could be also at the end of the season when guys are tired and wanting the season to end and teams are preparing for playoffs so competition becomes like summer league the month leading into playoffs

I think this is all getting way overblown. I can't remember the last young player that wasn't able to come back from their first ACL tear. Whatever free agent goes to NY, if any, will be based on the team radically transforming its roster. Guys like Mudiay have to be replaced. So whatever free agent commits to the Knicks will do so looking at the guaranteed contracts, the controlled youth, draft picks, etc. and determine if they can create a competitive team. Star players are becoming more of an assistant GM these days if they are truly elite players. The other thing is that most of these free agents are probably going to get massive offers from their current teams so they will need to turn down a lot of cash. I would guess less than half of them truly hit the "open market". 

KP proving his health sounds nice to all the media people for a story, but it goes way beyond that. If your roster is bad, your front office is bad, and your culture is bad you probably won't get your pick of free agents. It has been a long time since NY has been a desired destination. I am struggling to see how that has changed so far this season. I don't see a scenario where KP isn't rest in a B2B, plays a meaningful stretch of games without a minutes limit, etc. Any soreness he will be rested or shut down. The odds that he is going to be a fantasy savior this season are extremely low. 

• Thanks 1

Maybe not in basketball, but NFL players test ACLs all the time and almost always return within 10 months after surgery. Yes, they're not 7 feet tall and it's a different sport, but they weigh 260-320lbs or more, experience much more contact, and make hard cuts just as often.

I wouldn't put much hope on him saving any team, but at the same time he's definitely a low risk high reward stash if the IR is free.

But at this point in the season, especially with recent injuries, it probably isn't. :wacko:

7 hours ago, claptondecheeks said:

Picked up this lottery ticket when his previous owner dropped him to put Horford on IL. 

Any indication he's ramping up practice? As far as I can tell, the last update was exactly a month ago when he told GQ he is doing 1-on-1 contact drills and feels like his rehab is coming to an end.

90% he won't play at all this season... 

6 hours ago, CityBaller8 said:

9 minutes ago, Stefan said:

90% he won't play at all this season... 

He’ll be a high end, late Jan luxury stash - fantasy trade markets should be buzzing around then with lots of players coming back (Cousins, Levert, Millsap off the top of my head).

Lots of moves could go down as well, especially in the West where everyone except phoenix is in the PO mix.

Buying up for open slots could determine a lot of champions this season

Zingis plays this season IMO and I would rather take 20 minutes and 3 games of KP over 4 games of Jamychal or Jeff Green in March / April

How much longer till I need to add

I would see if there is an update by end of month. If positive, I would do it and only if you have an IR spot or well placed in the standings.

39 minutes ago, hard1 said:

How much longer till I need to add

depends on when your draft is next year :P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, lacit1707 said:

depends on when your draft is next year :P

Agreed.

I'm in a limited keeper league and drafted KP entirely as an asset for next year either to keep or trade.

Anything he does this year would be icing.  The fact that he won't even be re-evaluated until mid February, at least as I understand it, means that he is likely to have little to no fantasy relevance this year in my view.

ETA- I also have two IL spots which made drafting him a priority for me.

Edited by VaTerp
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, VaTerp said:

Agreed.

I'm in a limited keeper league and drafted KP entirely as an asset for next year either to keep or trade.

Anything he does this year would be icing.  The fact that he won't even be re-evaluated until mid February, at least as I understand it, means that he is likely to have little to no fantasy relevance this year in my view.

The problem is that he's not even doing limited practices. Say he gets cleared around the all Star break, he'll only start practicing 2 weeks before fantasy playoffs. Boogie's been practicing For like over a month. You might only get a few games out of KP and it'll be hard to trust him at all.

Having said that, if you have an empty IL slot and the better stashes like Levert or Love are taken, then you should gamble on KP coming back. There's an outside chance he starts playing as soon as he's cleared.

• Like 1

On 12/13/2018 at 2:23 PM, claptondecheeks said:

Maybe not in basketball, but NFL players test ACLs all the time and almost always return within 10 months after surgery. Yes, they're not 7 feet tall and it's a different sport, but they weigh 260-320lbs or more, experience much more contact, and make hard cuts just as often.

Skill position players in the NFL make hard cuts more often than the NFL. Being a RB or WR is all about hard cuts and we've seen plenty come back to be just as good if not better. The height is something to take into account though.

1 hour ago, Gohawks said:

Skill position players in the NFL make hard cuts more often than the NFL. Being a RB or WR is all about hard cuts and we've seen plenty come back to be just as good if not better. The height is something to take into account though.

That's what I'm saying.

I think he would be playing right now if he was in a team like the Raptors or even the Nets. I think they'll let him play once the tank is secured, specially since the the odds of getting the 1st pick don't change all that much if you don't have the worst record. 

They might want to play him also bc from what Lillard said, other players have doubts about his health. KD isn't gonna think about going there if he's unsure KP is still good.

55 minutes ago, claptondecheeks said:

That's what I'm saying.

I think he would be playing right now if he was in a team like the Raptors or even the Nets. I think they'll let him play once the tank is secured, specially since the the odds of getting the 1st pick don't change all that much if you don't have the worst record. 

They might want to play him also bc from what Lillard said, other players have doubts about his health. KD isn't gonna think about going there if he's unsure KP is still good.

what did lillard say??

and lets be honest, no player of KD calibur is coming to the knicks regardless of KP's health...we are TERRIBLE and even if KP never got injured, KD and KP would never win anything together anyway

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lacit1707 said:

what did lillard say??

and lets be honest, no player of KD calibur is coming to the knicks regardless of KP's health...we are TERRIBLE and even if KP never got injured, KD and KP would never win anything together anyway

I don't remember too much but... He did a podcast with some guy, I'm not sure who the other guy was but I think it was a Knicks related show. Anyways, Lillard said guys like Frank N's game, that he thinks the Knicks have a chance of getting KD or another star this summer, and that there's uncertainty about how the injury will affect KP. But he mentioned that uncertainty as one of the things that might deter a start from signing with the Knicks. He also said he thought that Fitz is the right coach for the rebuild.

Guys...put the Vaseline away and stop the circle jerks over your photos of KP.

hes not coming back this season.

next years rookie class is deep and there is zero gain in getting kp back

ps- Durant is not going to nyc. This team sucks, management is doo doo and there is no band wagon for him to jump on

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, LuSamSiam said:

I just read the article and don't understand why it gives you hope that he'll be playing this season.

"He is scheduled to be evaluated again in mid-February. His return from a torn ACL wouldn’t come before then. It may not even come until next season....

...(but) He’s in a really, a great groove right now with his workouts and his development.”

That's dispositive. Picking him up and inserting in all weekly leagues. Can't wait to say "I told you so"🙄😉