• Announcements

• Patrick Bateman

Check out the new Rotoworld Beta Site!   11/14/2018

Rotoworld has been the industry leader in fantasy news and analysis for years, but it was time for a much-needed facelift!  While our around-the-clock, comprehensive coverage will remain the same, the new Rotoworld design will be sleeker, easier to navigate, more video-friendly and will finally be mobile-optimized.    That’s right, you can finally stop pinching the screens on your phones to read our content!  Right now we’re in the beta phase of our launch, and it’s still a work-in-progress, but we’d love for you to check out our soon-to-be new digs, and let us know what you think: https://beta.rotoworld.com.    And then please use the Contact Us button to give us feedback!  
My Dinner With Andre

Willians Astudillo 2018 Outlook

Catcher called up by the Twins. Guy looks like a Pablo Sandoval clone? The good kind? Ya know, when Pablo was hitting .330 with catcher eligibility.

Astudillo already has C and 3B elg in Yahoo and he got his first big-league action today in the OF (he ripped a single on the first pitch he saw btw).

Twins catchers right now are trash.

Twins purchased the contract of C Willians Astudillo from Triple-A Rochester.
Astudillo, 26, has batted .290/.321/.489 with seven home runs for Rochester this season. The Twins opted for him as a third catcher over Cameron Rupp, who is also at Rochester. Astudillo can also play some first and third base and the outfield. Jun 29 - 1:56 PM
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

He had A Stud in his name. I’m in. 

🤫

Edited by Members_Only_76
  • Like 5
  • Haha 4

Read the Fangraphs article on him. Insane stats. Dude basically doesn't strike out. At all. Or walk lol the spray charts are cray.

This guy struck out a grand total of 76 (SEVENTY-SIX) times in 2,155 career MiLB ABs.

Image result for shocked look gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

666 career minor league hits , and then gets called up.  My man straight sold his soul to get in the Show.

Staying far away from this voodoo 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm pretty sure he uses a wifflebat. Th st explains 3% k rate with zero power.

Watched the game and the announcers said his motto was to swing early and often before the pitcher got him.  

This guy can straight rake, but appears to have little power and may be left on a gutted roster after the trade deadline. 

Posted (edited)
On 6/30/2018 at 6:53 PM, My Dinner With Andre said:

Catcher called up by the Twins. Guy looks like a Pablo Sandoval clone? The good kind? Ya know, when Pablo was hitting .330 with catcher eligibility.

Astudillo already has C and 3B elg in Yahoo and he got his first big-league action today in the OF (he ripped a single on the first pitch he saw btw).

Twins catchers right now are trash.

Twins purchased the contract of C Willians Astudillo from Triple-A Rochester.
Astudillo, 26, has batted .290/.321/.489 with seven home runs for Rochester this season. The Twins opted for him as a third catcher over Cameron Rupp, who is also at Rochester. Astudillo can also play some first and third base and the outfield. Jun 29 - 1:56 PM

Absolutely not. Mitch Garver is coming around, has his average up to .262 and hit his third homer today. Garver not a particularly strong D catcher, but has excellent hitting ability and + power. It's just a matter of time before he starts hitting more homers in this his first season.  

Astudillo played 3B today so I doubt he does little to impact Garver's time. Maybe he supplants Bobby Wilson

Edited by kwolf68

16 minutes ago, kwolf68 said:

Absolutely not. Mitch Garver is coming around, has his average up to .262 and hit his third homer today. Garver not a particularly strong D catcher, but has excellent hitting ability and + power. It's just a matter of time before he starts hitting more homers in this his first season.  

Astudillo played 3B today so I doubt he does little to impact Garver's time. Maybe he supplants Bobby Wilson

You talking about the same Mitch Garver who has a 40 grade slapped on his hit tool, currently sports a sub-.700 OPS, is not a good defender, and has accumulated a grand total of about 0 WAR in his ~200 MLB plate appearances?

Ya, I don't think that guy is blocking anyone.

I dropped John Hicks for this guy so fast. In a points league where strikeouts matter and I have Trevor Story on my team, I need this guy. 

9 minutes ago, thecomebackkid907 said:

I dropped John Hicks for this guy so fast. In a points league where strikeouts matter and I have Trevor Story on my team, I need this guy. 

Unrelated to this thread but you really shouldn’t be complaining about Story’s K% right now. Go look it up.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, UberRebel said:

Unrelated to this thread but you really shouldn’t be complaining about Story’s K% right now. Go look it up.

91 K's on the year and ninth most in the league.. I'm not complaining about it, because that's what I signed up for when I drafted him. So to make this related to Astudillo, that's why he's even more valuable for my team because I'm not going to have to worry about negative points as often from him. I'm looking for that balance if that makes sense.

26 year old rookie who doesn’t have power and can’t take a walk. Pass.

Posted (edited)

Someone who doesn’t K much is always valuable.  The fan graphs article sold me on a potential plus plus contact guy at a position (C) that’s struggling overall to produce.  Worth the shot IMO, MLB has never really seen the likes of this type of player before with such low K% and such high contact rate.  I mean, Vlad, but he is a HoF.  Read somewhere that is power numbers are trending upward and every contact hitter nowadays seems to sprinkle in at least 15 HRs with the juiced ball.  Overall, to me, definitely worth a shot if not anything because he did something else I’ve  never seen done before on a baseball field... remember that blind catcher pickoff from spring training? That was this guy.  Also made a nifty little barehanded play at 3rd yesterday when reports say his defense is iffy.

Edited by Donkey Doolittle
  • Like 2

Intrigued but potential problem for our league is that you actually have to play the position for which our platform (CBS) has them eligible for in order to actually use them at that position.

In his first two games, he's got 1 GP in at 3B, LF and CF....none at C. I'm sure that will change but for now, he's just a guy I will add to Scout Team to keep tabs till he gains eligibility at C...he's of no interest to me at other positions for now.

How the hell did that guy play CF?  Go watch some video of him and you'll understand my question.  It's like a chinchilla in the OF.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Most of the time a hitter that doesn't walk will eventually be exploited by MLB pitchers.   See Roughned Odor.

Edited by B&F
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Dislimb said:

26 year old rookie who doesn’t have power and can’t take a walk. Pass.

22 hours ago, GC Tacos said:

This guy can straight rake, but appears to have little power and may be left on a gutted roster after the trade deadline. 

Up through 2016 this was accurate... but  he got to the DBacks in 2017 and something changed, I don't know what he did but his ISO skyrocketed... from 2009-2015 in Rookie and A ball for Philly his ISO varied from .064-.101, but mostly under .100... in AA for the Braves in 2016 he sat at .065 ISO...

Then he goes to the DBacks in 2017, put in AAA, and takes to the tune of a .217 ISO, but only 36 games...

Then this year 2018, for the Twins AAA he carries this power forward with an ISO of .199 over 49 games.

Something changed and he has been hitting with power the past 2 seasons. I'm interested to find out more. 

I would rather take a chance on Garver than Astudillo.  Garver's defense isn't good but Astudilo's isn't any better.    If the Twins thought he could catch they wouldn't have been playing him at 3B and OF for 17 games at Rochester.

5 minutes ago, B&F said:

I would rather take a chance on Garver than Astudillo.  Garver's defense isn't good but Astudilo's isn't any better.    If the Twins thought he could catch they wouldn't have been playing him at 3B and OF for 17 games at Rochester.

if he gets consistent AB's in the OF or at 3B, he could be very valuable ROS considering the absolute desolation that catcher has proven to be thus far

• Like 1

I wonder how consistent his ABs are going to be. Polanco is back and starting at SS tonight. Escobar is on the bench in favor of Astudillo tonight, but that won't last long. Wilson and Garver at C. Where do the ABs come from? When Adrianza comes off the DL, will that push either Garver or Astudillo back to AAA? Sano looms in the minors, too.

6 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

I wonder how consistent his ABs are going to be. Polanco is back and starting at SS tonight. Escobar is on the bench in favor of Astudillo tonight, but that won't last long. Wilson and Garver at C. Where do the ABs come from? When Adrianza comes off the DL, will that push either Garver or Astudillo back to AAA? Sano looms in the minors, too.

A lot would probably have to do with production.  If Astudillo continues to hit good, then it could push Wilson or Garver out of the picture.  Say what you want about Garver, with a lot of it warranted, but I think pushing Garver out of the picture would be a long shot.  Other than a recent stretch of good hitting, he really has never put it together, but he's still producing right now and is probably still viewed as their future at catcher.  Polanco will be the starting SS for the rest of the season, while Escobar is the everyday 3B like he has been.  The only way that changes is if Polanco's production from last season was a total fluke and a product of being juiced, which is actually possible.  Adrianza will just be a utility IF when he returns, but you are right that somebody needs to be sent down when they activate him. Once again, it is likely down to production.  Sano would likely just be a DH if he ever returns.

11 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Escobar is on the bench in favor of Astudillo tonight, but that won't last long.

Well, if Astudillo can hit in the majors like he has in the minors, they'll find a way to keep him in the lineup. And considering they're using him as a UTL, they could could get creative. There's definitely reason to be skeptical but in his incredibly small sample of two games, nobody can really deny he's looked good. 

• Like 1